Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
August 9 – 10, 2019 – 9 Av 5779 – Parshas Devarim/Shabbos Chazon
Light Candles by 7:52 – Havdalah 8:54
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Vivian Kirshenbaum with Weichert Realtors Office: 301-681-0550 Cell: 301-318-1313
* Susan & Rabbi Saul Koss and Frieda Bart on the birth of ax great-grandson, born to Sarah (Bart) & Yisroel Caplan. Mazal Tov to grandparents Rivka & Rabbi Evan Bart and great-uncle Jonathan Bart.
* Marla & Marty Teichman on the engagement of their grandson, Moshe. Mazal Tov to the parents, Debra & Reuven Meth.
* Rachel Cattan on the passing of her father, Moshe Ella. The funeral took place on Tuesday in Israel. Rachel may be reached during Shiva at 301-526-9404.
* Light Candles by 7:52, and not before 6:43
Ashkenazi: 6:25, 6:55, 7:55 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 6:00 Sephardi: 5:00 Nusach Sefard: 6:00
* Shabbos ends: 8:54
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – "Sephardic Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – Dr. Debra & Jacob Frenkel L'Zecher Nishmas Tziporah bas Mordechai.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur 9:00 AM, Rabbi's Study.
Tisha B'Av Schedule
Those planning to walk to Shul while it is still Shabbos to attend Maariv Saturday night should bring their non-leather shoes to Shul before Shabbos.
Those planning to drive to Shul after Shabbos ends (8:54 PM) should remember to say "Baruch Hamavdil Bein Kodesh Lechol" before driving to shul.
Shabbos, August 10 – Erev Tisha B'Av
* Fast Begins 8:09 PM
* Shabbos Ends 8:54 PM
* Maariv followed by Eicha – Sephardi 9:10 PM
* Maariv followed by Eicha (Belonofsky Sanctuary, Nusach Sefard, Youth Social Hall) 9:15 PM
Sunday, August 11 – Tisha B'Av
* Belonofsky Sanctuary 6:30 AM
* Sephardi 7:30 AM
* Belonofsky Sanctuary – including Kinos with commentary by Rabbi Rosenbaum 8:30 AM
* Chatzos 1:14 PM
* Early Mincha (Belonofsky Sanctuary) 2:00 PM
* Video Programs (Social Hall) – annual Chofetz Chaim Heritage Foundation World-Wide Event – "V'ahavta L'rei'acha Kamocha: The Blueprint for Rebuilding the Beis Hamikdash"
* Program A – 2:45 PM – Large Social Hall
HaRav Yitzchok Sorotzkin, Rabbi Ephraim Eliyahu Shapiro, Rabbi Fishel Schachter
* Program for Youth 2:45 PM – Small Social Hall
* Program B – 4:45 PM – Large Social Hall
Rabbi Moshe Weinberger, Rabbi Zecharia Wallerstein, Mr. Michael Rothschild
* Regular Mincha (Belonofsky Sanctuary) 7:35 PM
* Sephardi – Mincha / Maariv 7:45 PM
* Maariv (Belonofsky Sanctuary) 8:25 PM
* Fast Ends 8:52 PM
YISE Programs and Listings
Save the Date! YISE Annual BBQ – Sunday, August 18, 3:00 PM – 6:00 PM in the Social Hall. $10 per adult, $5 per child, family max. $45. Go to www.yise.org/bbq or see flyer for details.
Shabbos Groups Coordinator – The YISE Youth Committee is seeking a Shabbos Groups Coordinator starting in September. Excellent communications and organizational skills, an education background and experience working with pre-school and young school-aged children are required. For more information, contact Elise Saks at email@example.com Please spread the word!!
Substitute Teachers – Shomrai Preschool is hiring substitute teachers for the 2019-2020 school year. Please contact Suri Kinzbrunner at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
High Holiday Seats – Rosh Hashanah is coming soon! Have you forgotten to reserve your seats? Blank forms are in the box outside the Belonofsky Sanctuary and the Beis Medrash. Forms are also available on the YISE website at www.yise.org/seats Please complete and forward to the Shul office as soon as possible.
Hashomer – The Rosh Hashanah Hashomer will be published soon. To include your Rosh Hashanah greetings, place an ad or submit an article, email email@example.com or contact the YISE office as soon as possible.
Yizkor Guide – The Yizkor Guide is used in all Minyanim for four Yizkor services during the year (Yom Kippur, Shemini Atzeres, Pesach and Shavuos.) As before, an unlimited number of name listings are available in the new guide for a Yizkor Guide sponsorship of $180. Alternatively, individual name listings can be purchased for $18 each. The deadline for Yizkor Guide sponsorships or individual listings is September 1. To sign up online, go to www.yise.org/yizkor If you have questions, please contact Marc Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org or Debbie Katz at email@example.com
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program is a service to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. By signing up, you are not committing to help with anything specific. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash, will resume August 18.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by Classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, in the Social Hall, will resume on September 1.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings in the Social Hall, will not take place this Sunday.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE, will resume on September 2. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com, 347-869-9361.
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver in the Small Social Hall. For more information please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: firstname.lastname@example.org or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: email@example.com
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM, in the Social Hall.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? Appreciating Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash, will resume in the fall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, will begin learning Maseches Gittin on Wednesday evenings in the Social Hall, when it resumes September 4.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth rooms behind the Balcony. 1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall.
Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Tot Shabbat – with Suri Kinzbrunner 10:30 AM – 11:00 AM in the toddler room for ages 2 and under.
Community Programs and Listings
Shabbos afternoon Shiur at University Towers – 1121 University Blvd W, Apt 516, on Shabbos, August 10 at 4:30 PM.
Tzurba M'Rabanan learning group will not take place this Shabbos, August 10, and will resume on Shabbos Nachamu, August 17.
YGW Kinnos with Commentary – HaRav Ahron Lopiansky, Sunday, August 11, 9:00 AM in the Yeshiva Boys Campus Beis Medrash and online at https://vimeo.com/349526632
Yeshiva University Kinnos Webcasts – Join YU for two live Tisha B'av Kinnos Webcasts, from Teaneck, NJ and Jerusalem – www.yutorah.org/Tishabav Teaneck Program with Rabbi Dr. Jacob J. Schacter. 9:15am Opening shiur: Why Does Tisha B'av Matter in 2019? 11:00am Kinnos recital and discussion. Jerusalem Program with Rabbi Dovid Gottlieb. 8:45 AM (Jerusalem time), Kinnos recital and commentary.
Post High School Girls Shiur – Tuesday night, August 13, 8:30 PM at the Pepper home, 1101 North Belgrade Road. This week's Shiur will be given by Mrs. Zakem.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, August 14, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Ovadia Hayat at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
The Message of Shabbos: Live to Praise Hashem – Shiur for women with Rav Beinish Ginsburg, Sunday, August 18, 8:00 PM, at 3209 Fallstaff Road, Rear Building. Free of charge. Rav Ginsburg's English seforim will be available for purchase at the shiur. Rav Ginsburg is a well-known teacher at Michlala Jerusalem College for Women and Yeshivat Netiv Aryeh. Rav Ginsburg was raised in Silver Spring and currently resides in Ramat Beit Shemesh with his wife and family. Contact Rachel at 425-442-9296 for more information.
Inspiration in the New Year – Join AMIT Birah Chapter of Greater Washington, DC on Tuesday, September 17 at 7:30 PM for keynote speaker: Dr. Miryam Kiderman, PsyD. The event will take place at a private home in Silver Spring. The cost is $18. Light refreshments will be served. Contact: AMIT 410-484-2223 or Robbiep@amitchildren.org for more information or register online at www.amitchildren.org/events
Census Bureau Is Hiring.- The Census Bureau will be hiring thousands of people for the 2020 Census. More information and apply at https://2020census.gov/en/jobs
Daf Yomi Shiur meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before the YISE late Mincha.
13th Global Siyum Hashas – GWCK invites men and women of the community to join for an inspiring trip to the 13th Global Siyum Hashas of Daf Yomi at Met Life Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ, January 1, 2020 – 1:00pm. GWCK will be arranging bus transportation to and from the Siyum Hashas. To be seated with other members of the Greater Washington community at the Siyum Hashas, make your reservation by Aug 12 using the Greater Washington Group Code. For more information, to reserve your seat on the bus, and to receive the Greater Washington Group Code go to www.gwckollel.org/siyumhashas
The Greater DC Diaper Bank empowers families and individuals in need throughout DC, Maryland, and Virginia by providing an adequate and reliable source for basic baby needs and personal hygiene products. You can donate diapers and other items in Kemp Mill at the Licht home, 11609 Yeatman Terrace. Leave your donation in the red bin by the front door. Include your contact information so the Diaper Bank can let you know how much your donation is appreciated. To find out more about the work DC Diaper Bank does, visit www.dcdiaperbank.org If you have questions, contact Panina Licht at email@example.com
Capital Kosher Pantry – The shelves at Yad Yehuda's Capital Kosher Pantry need restocking. Please help us replenish the foods so very needed by your friends and neighbors. Items most needed at this time include: Almond or soy milk, apple juice, canned fruit, cereals, granola/snack bars, healthy grains (farro, rice mixes), juice packs, pancake syrup, pareve crackers, pasta sauce, pizza sauce, rice cakes and vegetarian baked beans. Please DO NOT donate pasta or matzah. All items must be factory sealed in unbreakable containers, Kosher and well within the use-by date. Donation boxes are located in area shuls, Berman Hebrew Academy, Moti's Market, Shalom Kosher, Torah School, YGW Girls Division and in front of Yad Yehuda House at 1910 University Boulevard West. Please place only packaged food donations in the boxes. You may also visit yadyehuda.org/pantry to shop online and have products shipped directly to the Pantry. Our friends and neighbors in need rely on your generous assistance. Thank you so much for doing your part.
Kollel Dirshu of Silver Spring is studying Maseches Gittin at the YGW. Daily morning shiur given by Rabbi Eli Reingold at 5:45 AM and evening shiur by Ranon Cortell and Pinchas Werner at 9:00 PM. Chavrusah are also available during these learning times. For more information and to join our learning program please contact Hirsh Komarow (301) 681-1646; firstname.lastname@example.org
Dirshu Mishnah Brurah – Learn Chelek Daled with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Learn the Halachos of Eruvin and Techumin. Finish the Chelek in eleven months! Monday through Thursday at YISE after Maariv. For more information contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services or to volunteer.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday, Aug. 11 – Tisha B'Av Monday August 12 Tuesday August 13 Wednesday August 14 Thursday August 15 Friday August 16
Ashkenazi 6:30, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Ashkenazi 2:00, 7:35 / 8:25 7:50 7:50 7:50 7:50 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:45 7:45 7:45 7:45 7:45
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:27 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:45 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:48 PM
August 16 – 17, 2019 – 16 Av 5779
Parshas Vaeschanan/Shabbos Nachamu
Light Candles: Friday by 7:44 – Havdalah: 8:44
* Light Candles by 7:44, and not before 6:36
Ashkenazi: 6:20, 6:45 7:45 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:40 Sephardi: 7:25 Nusach Sefard: 7:40
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:44
Sunday, August 18 YISE Annual Barbecue. 3:00 PM
Shabbos, August 24 Scholar in Residence, Rabbi Shay Schachter
Shabbos, September 14 Meat & Greet, 1:00 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, August 14 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday: 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager