Parshas Devarim/Shabbos Chazon – August 5 – 6, 2022
Download the Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
August 5 – 6, 2022 – 9 Av 5782 – Parshas Devarim/Shabbos Chazon
Light Candles by 7:57 – Shabbos Ends 8:58
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387
* Emily & Todd Friedman on the birth of a daughter, Rina Nechama. Mazal Tov to siblings Moshe, Chaya, Shoshana and Shayna.
* Marsha & Yitz Kasdan on the birth of a granddaughter, Shoshana Malka, to their children Deena & Moshe Lowinger. Mazal Tov also to the baby's siblings, Marsha's mother Evelyn Elbogen, grandparents Sorah & Rabbi Avrohom Lowinger, great-grandmother Bubbie Marlene Erman, Aunt Shana & Uncle Hirschel Wohl and family, and to all of the other aunts, uncles, and cousins.
* Debi & Max Rudmann on the birth of a granddaughter Liora Yael, to their children Ateret & Yosef Feldman of Baltimore. Mazal Tov to big sister Dalia and to all of the grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Roz & Shmuel Shafner on the birth of a granddaughter. Mazal Tov also to parents Sarah (Sonia) & Aaron Yevick and to big brothers Ben and Akiva.
* Marla & Marty Teichman on the Bar Mitzvah of their greatgrandson Chaim Yosef Goldberger. Mazal Tov to parents Shaynie & Rabbi Avigdor Goldberger of Minneapolis. Mazal Tov to grandparents Randee & Rabbi Manny Goldberger and Dena & Rabbi Binyomin Friedman of Atlanta. Mazal Tov to greatgrandparents Betty & Gus Goldberger.
Minyan locations are listed as B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall. LSH = Large Social Hall, SSH = Small Social Hall, LBM = Large Beis Medrash, SBM = Small Beis Medrash
* Light Candles by 7:57, and not before 6:47
* Mincha: 6:30 (Plag, S), 7:00 (B), 8:00 (B), 7:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:00 (B), 6:00 (B), 6:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends: 8:58
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 9:15 Minyan Rabbi Postelnek
* Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura Rabbi Postelnek
* The Hashkamah Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by the Hashkamah Minyan Kiddush Group
* The Shul Kiddush is sponsored by the Shul Kiddush Group.
* Any person eligible for a fully FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine (16 years of age or older), but who chooses to not be vaccinated may attend YISE Minyanim and events with the following guidelines. Unvaccinated individuals must remain masked at all times while in the Shul building, including at Kiddushes and/or other events containing food. Masks may not be removed to eat or drink. Exceptions will be made for private functions being held at the Shul, but that are not Shul sponsored events.
* Anyone with any of the following symptoms should not come to shul: fever of 100.4 degrees or higher, chills, muscle aches, sore throat, severe cough, headache, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue, congestion or runny nose, or new loss of sense of taste or smell. If you have tested positive for COVID, you should follow the CDC guidelines.
* Masks are now optional for vaccinated adults and for children under 16.
* There are no social distancing requirements in the YISE building.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
Tisha B'Av Schedule
* Fast starts: 8:14
* Maariv/Eicha 9:20 (B, S), 9:15 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 6:30 (B), 8:30 including Kinos with commentary (B), 7:30 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Chatzos: 1:13
* Mincha: 2:00 (B), 7:40 (B), 7:45 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Maariv: 8:30 (B)
* Fast ends: 8:57
* 2:45 – 4:25 – Chofetz Chaim – A (LSH)
* 5:15 – 7:30 – Chofetz Chaim – B (LSH)
* 2:45 – 3:40 – Children (SSH) – sponsored by Simi & Sammy Franco in honor of their grandchildren.
* 4:00 – 5:10 – Women (SSH)
See flyers for video details. To sponsor the Tisha B'Av videos, please contact email@example.com
YISE Youth Announcements
Shabbos Groups this Shabbos, August 6, from 10:00 AM until Shul ends. Age 18-36 months (Mommy & me) in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 2-5 years (drop off) in the room behind the balcony. Ages 6-9 years will meet at Shomrai and walk over to the Yeshiva. For more information, contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org
Calling All Rising 5th and 6th Grade Boys!! Rabbi Rosenbaum is learning weekly with rising 5th and 6th grade boys one hour before Mincha in the YISE Social Hall. This week's learning will take place at 5:00 PM. Bring your hard questions! Refreshments will be served.
Parsha in the Park – Meet up with your buddies in the park, hear some Parsha insights, and cool off with delicious treats! 4:00 PM in the Kemp Mill Urban Park (across from YISE) on August 13 and August 20. See flyer for details.
YISE Programs and Listings
Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura – A weekly Chabura in the Nesivos Shalom on the Parsha. Delve into the deeper dimensions of the Parsha and Holidays by learning the Nesivos Shalom's weekly insights. Begins at 8:55 AM Shabbos mornings in the Social Hall. This Shiur will be given by Rabbi Postelnek.
Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur – Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman will give the Gemara Shiur after the Hashkamah Minyan Kiddush, learning Maseches Sanhedrin, in the Small Beis Medrash.
Seeing the Hand of Hashem…In History – Presented by the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project. Next lecture with Mrs. Channah Cohen on Sunday, August, 21, 10:30 AM in person at YISE and Zoom A. Please RSVP to email@example.com with the number who will attend in person, as a light brunch will be served after the presentation. Recordings at wp.yise.org/hand-of-hashem See flyer for details.
High Holiday Mailing – The High Holiday mailing with information about seats, child care, Yizkor and Hashomer greetings has been sent to all members. You can also go to www.yise.org for more information, including downloadable seat forms, online registration for child care and online sponsorship of the Yizkor guide.
Living Shabbos – Join YISE young professionals for a new series on the laws of Shabbos with Rabbi Postelnek. Tuesdays, 8:15 PM – 9:00 PM, at the home of David & Tamara Goodman, 11611 Kemp Mill Road, will resume on Tuesday, August 23. For questions or to join the WhatsApp group contact Rabbi Postelnek at firstname.lastname@example.org Recordings available at https://wp.yise.org/living-shabbos See flyer for details.
Tradition and Minhagim – Recordings of all three Shiurim available at https://wp.yise.org/minhagim
Interested in starting a new 5th-6th grade girls Shabbos group this fall? YISE Youth is looking for a creative, mature older teen or adult to create a Shabbos morning program for this important age group. This is a paid position. Please contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com to learn more about this position or to apply.
Youth Director -YISE is looking for a self-motivated and innovative professional with excellent leadership, organizational and communication skills to unify and integrate all aspects of our Youth program. Generous salary is offered, based on your credentials, prior experience and time commitment. To apply or learn more, contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org
Kiddush Volunteers Needed! As we return to a regular schedule of Kiddushes, volunteers are needed from ALL Minyanim to help set up and clean up for Kiddushes on Shabbos morning. Times vary. Let us know when you are available. Contact Barbara Price at 301-332-8181.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, a part of YISE's Chesed Committee, has a current need at this time. Please sign to volunteer if you can. For more information or if you need help signing up, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301- 754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Thank you to the Shiurim Sponsors for this Past Week:
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in memory of Rabbi Hyatt, Z"L, and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Shiur
* Leah Paretzky to commemorate the 3rd Yahrzeit of her husband, Harvey Paretzky, Refael Yisroel Chaim Ben Harav Mordechai Aryeh, Z"L.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis. Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Monday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiurfor Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
* Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur, Shabbos Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The 8:45 and 9:15 Shabbos Drashas are both available for sponsorship at $54 each.
4. Yom Tov Drasha Sponsorships are $72 each.
Please email email@example.com to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Options for in-person and remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to:
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday, 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:00 PM, Zoom A, will not take place on Sunday, August 7.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A, will resume on Sunday, August 14.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays,6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Mishlei, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM breakfast, 9:50 AM Shiurim, in the Social Hall, will resume in Elul.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C, will resume on Sunday, August 21.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info., contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361, will resume in Elul.
* SCP (Semichat Chaver Program) – Tuesdays at 8:45 PM. Join the fastest growing Halacha learning program in the world! Now back in person at YISE. Register at gwckollel.org/scp
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy's Gemara Shiur, Masechet Chulin, Sunday through Friday, 6:35 AM – 7:20 AM, in the Franco Beit Midrash.
* Chavrusa Learning – Monday nights in the Social Hall, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM. For more information, contact Rabbi Levy 240-423-8810.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurim for men & women, Mondays at 9:00 AM, studying Parashas Hashavua, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", is on summer break.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Bava Metzia. Wednesday evenings, 7:30 PM, will resume in September.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 833 3477 1595, password RabbiHyatt
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to email@example.com: Sponsor name, birthday or anniversary date, name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
Community Programs & Listings
Capital Kosher Pantry Nine Days Food Drive – Suggested foods include canned tuna and salmon, Wacky Mac, pizza sauce, canned mushrooms, canned olives, marinara sauce, falafel mix, shelf-stable tehina and salsa. All foods should be factory sealed, well within the use-by date, and certified kosher. Drop off at Shalom Kosher, Moti's Market, KMS, YISE and drop off or ship to Capital Kosher Pantry, 1910 University Blvd. West, Silver Spring, MD 20902.
Shloshim for Daniel Atkin, son of former YISE members Gerrie and Harry, Z"L, Atkin, will take place on Monday, August 8, at 7:00 PM at Rabbi Friedman's Shteibel, Beis Nosson, 2901 Taney Road (corner of Baywood Avenue), Baltimore, MD.
Men's Night Swim @ Parkland Pool – Monday evenings, 9:15 PM – 10:05 PM. August 8, 15, 22, 29 and September 5. $10/swimmer, $7 if 2 or more in a group.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, August 10, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Ashkenazi Jewish Genetic Diseases, Screening and Testing – A Sanofi Educational Program presented by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington on Wednesday, August 17, 8:30 PM, free on Zoom. RSVP to email@example.com to receive the Zoom link.
Alshich on the Parsha with Rabbi Levy – Shabbat afternoon between Mincha and Maariv in the Franco Beit Midrash.
Zoom Shiurim with Rabbi Levy – Monday through Friday on Zoom, Meeting ID: 636 563 5989. Alshich – 9:20 AM – 10:15 AM. Gemara Ribit 10:15 AM – 11:30 AM. Hilchot Lashon Hara 12:45 PM – 1:45 PM.
Mechanech.com is a tutoring platform based in Boca Raton Synagogue, matching tutors and parents of students in Jewish communities across the US and Canada. They provide tutors in both Judaic and English subjects. For more info., email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 347-210-6584.
MitzvahCycle/MitzvahRun 2022 – Join Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington on Sunday, September 11, to bike, run or walk to support patients and their loved ones in our community. Fun, food and family-friendly activities. Register at www.mitzvahcycle.org Email email@example.com for more info.
YGW Kollel Zichron Amram Machshava – Probing Jewish Thought Through the Works of Rav Yitzchak Hutner, ZT"L, with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold, Rosh Kollel, Sundays at 8:00 PM on Zoom, Meeting ID: 825 0731 6850, Passcode: 1216613. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
Dirshu – Please join Dirshu, which began Bava Metzia on December 20. Shiur options at YGW: Monday – Friday, 5:45 AM (R. Reingold) or Monday – Thursday, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM (R. Cortell/R. Werner). About 2.5 Daf covered each week.
TGN Program: Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Siddur with Mrs. Esther Dziadek, Wednesday mornings, 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM, on Zoom B. For more information call 301-732-1773 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments, shopping, etc. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. COVID-19 precautions are followed for the health of drivers and riders. Contact email@example.com, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more info.
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? IZUN is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Go to https://getizun.org or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online weekdays via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at email@example.com to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM. Shabbos in-person 1-1/2 hours before the main YISE Mincha, at the Yeshiva.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday, August 7 – Tisha B'Av
Friday, August 12 – Tu B'Av
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 4:51 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 5:23 AM, Latest Netz: 6:20 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:43 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:49 PM, Earliest Shkia: 8:05 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim 8:57 PM
August 12 – 13, 2022 – 16 Av 5782
Parshas Vaeschanan/Shabbos Nachamu
* Light Candles by 7:48, but not before 6:40
* Mincha: 6:25 (Plag, S), 6:50 (B), 7:50 (B), 7:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:00 (B), 7:45 (B), 7:40 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 8:49
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, August 10 at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 Email: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM,
Friday: 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager