Included in the PDF are the Israel Report, Likutei Torah, Hamaayan and GWCK Shabbos Delights, which are normally available next to the Shabbos Shorts at YISE.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
June 18 – 19, 2021 – 9 Tammuz 5781 – Chukas
Light Candles by 8:18 – Havdalah 9:26
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Tzivia Bramson in memory of her mother, Evelyn Lewko, Chava Rochel bas Sinai, on the 10th of Tammuz, and by Robin & Lawton Cooper in honor of Shulie's marriage this week in Yerushalayim to Jason Brafman, originally from West Hempstead. Wishing Simchas and Yeshuos for all of us and for Klal Yisrael.
* Florence Binstock Avigan on her very Special Birthday this Shabbos.
* Susan & Rabbi Saul Koss on the birth of a great-grandson to Aidel Sarah & Rabbi Natan Lindell of Louisville. (R' Simmy and Miriam, ZT"L, Guttman of Milwaukee grandparents).
* Debra & Arthur Sapper on the birth and Brith Milah of their grandson, Yishai, born to their children, Chaya & Elad Engel of Ma'ale Adumim, Israel.
* Gila & Rabbi Myron Wakschlag on the marriage of their daughter Ahuva to Zack Greenberg. Mazal Tov to Ahuva's savta, Judith Halpern. Mazal Tov and welcome to Zack's parents, Davida & Josh Greenberg of Teaneck, NJ, and to Zack's siblings and grandparents.
* Debbie Katz on the passing of her father, Dr. Werner Cohen, Rephael Avigdor ben Avraham haCohain. The funeral took place on Sunday in Baltimore.
* Roz Malin and Izzy Miller on the passing of their sister, Miriam Miller, Miriam Elka bas Tzvi Dov. The funeral took place in Israel. Shiva is being observed at 11517 Monticello Road through Sunday morning. Shacharis Sunday at 7:30 AM.
Minyan locations are listed as B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall. All Sephardi Minyanim take place in the Beit Medrash.
* Light Candles by 8:18
* Mincha: 7:00 (S), 8:20 (B), 7:15 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi)
* Mincha: 5:00 (B), 8:15 (B), 7:45 (Sephardi)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 9:26 (B and Sephardi)
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 9:15 Rabbi Rosenbaum
* Shiur after Mincha Rabbi Rosenbaum
YISE Virtual Banquet
Wednesday, June 23 – 8:00 PM on Zoom
Tribute to the Legacy of Howard Katz, Z”L
Community Service Award to Serena & Ben Kalish
HaKarat HaTov to Brett Kugler, YISE Youth Director
Youth Honorees: Benjamin Coplin, Michal Eizenstat, Netani Goldfeiz, Tova Katzoff, Aviva Kramer, Nitai Levi, Aryeh Miller, Raphael Mizrahi, Yerachmiel Pepper, Bracha Poyurs, Chana Leah Ravin, Shira Segelman, Ruthie Seidemann, Ephraim Dov Shimoff, Miri Solomson
See flyer for details or go to www.yise.org/banquet to make your reservations and submit journal ads.
DEADLINE EXTENDED TO SUNDAY, JUNE 20!
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Sunday through Friday 8:30 AM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday 7:00 PM – Zoom A, will not meet on Sunday and Monday.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now studying Sefer Yehoshua, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A, will resume June 30.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men and Women – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM.
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom F.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings, Zoom I.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM (except as noted). For more info. contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361.
* For Men & Women – Zoom C (except as noted):
* Mondays: (for men only) Rabbi H. Shaps, On the Same Page Gemara, Zoom B.
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Grossman – Parshas Hashavua, 9:00 PM.
* For Women – Zoom D
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys
* Tuesdays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Bereishis in-Depth
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Hillel Shaps. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps: email@example.com Registration required at gwckollel.org/scp
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM, Zoom E.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", will resume in the fall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Kiddushin on Wednesday evenings, 7:00 PM, will resume in August.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 349 754 2180, password Learn
Zoom C: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom D: ID: 601 853 4021, password Winter
Zoom E: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom F: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom G: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
Zoom H: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom I: ID: 269 840 3648, password online Pearls, phone 621690
YISE Youth Announcements
Shabbos Groups will take place this week from 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM. Masks are not required. Meet us in front of YISE so you can be directed to your child's age group location. RSVP at https://wp.yise.org/shabbos-groups For more info. contact Michal Merkin, YISE Youth groups coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
Camp Shomrai is back for another fun-filled summer with programming for children in preschool through ninth grade! Camp runs from July 5th to August 13th. For more info or to register, visit our website at https://campshomrai.org See flyer for details.
* Minyanim currently take place with both social distance and regular seating. Regular seating is for vaccinated people only. Social distance seating is for unvaccinated people and for vaccinated people who prefer social distance seating. Masks are required for everyone in the social distance seating.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
YISE Programs and Listings
Ask The Rabbi! Come join our virtual, interactive monthly program featuring Halachos of Shabbos and holidays! This month's topic: Muktzah. Tuesday, June 22, 7:15 PM – 8:15 PM on Zoom A. The first 45 minutes are for Shailos submitted in advance and the last 15 minutes are for Q & A. Send in your questions about Muktza to: AskTheRabbi@yise.org by Sunday, June 20. For more information or to submit questions anonymously, contact Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517 or email@example.com To sponsor the Shiur, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Domestic Violence in the Jewish Community – Sunday, June 27, 11:00 AM – 12:15 PM on Zoom A. Organized by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and YISE. See flyer for details.
Come Join Rabbi Koss's Monthly Jewish History class on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee: Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, July 5, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom A. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com
YISE Youth Director – Position available for 2021-22. The Youth Committee is seeking an energetic and experienced youth professional with excellent leadership and organizational skills to lead our exciting Youth Program. Strong interpersonal and communication skills are required. Responsibilities include year-round activities and Shabbos programming. Teaching credentials are preferred but are not essential. The position begins on July 1. We offer a competitive salary based on your experience. To learn more or to apply, please contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org by June 15.
Update: Being Social – In the past few months, YISE's Social Committee has organized a range of programs to bring us together virtually, including: Jews (in our community) discussing their service in the US military, Trivia Nights, Painting with Talia, Purim Shpiel, Chagim goody bags … We have also expressed our thanks to the Holy Cross Hospital health workers, and treated the Wheaton Rescue Squad to a special dinner. As we come together again, we would like your ideas and help in organizing fun, interactive, and safe activities. Please contact email@example.com
Registration for Shomrai Preschool 2021-2022 is now open! We are excited to be offering a Torah-rich, child-centered program for children entering 2 year-old Nursery – 4 year-old Pre-K. School day runs from 8:30 AM – 3:00 PM. Extended care options available from 7:30 AM -8:30 AM and 3:00 PM – 6:00 PM. Register early for maximum savings! Visit our website for tuition rates and online registration at https://preschool.yise.org/registration For more information about the program email Sarah Dollman at firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this muchneeded medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax-deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT”L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
* Karen & Howie Schulman & family wish a hearty Mazal Tov to Florence Binstock Avigan on her very Special Birthday this Shabbos.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Our current limited ability to Daven with a Minyan and to say Kaddish is difficult and a challenge. However, sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Sunday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The Shabbos Drasha is available for sponsorship at $54.
Please email email@example.com to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to this past week's Shiurim sponsors:
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Shiur
* Arleeta Lerner in honor of the publication of her daughter, D'vorah Miller's book, Up to God. https://mosaicapress.com/product/up-to-god/
* Diana & Dr. Leonard Ruchelman in honor of the birth of a great-granddaughter. Parents are Chana & Moshe Striks.
* Elaine & Robert Leichter
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in honor of a Refuah Sheleimah to Rabbi Hyatt and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha/Halacha Shiur
* Bobbi & Jules Meisler in memory of Bobbi's Aunt, Dorothy Peritz, Dubba bas Chaim Yankel. Rabbi Rosenbaum's Shabbos Drasha
* Lee & Craig Oppenheim on the Yahrzeit of Craig's mother, Yacha bat Menachem Mendel, on the 7th of Tammuz and Lee's father, Tzvi Hersh ben Avram, on the 10th on Tammuz.
* Judy & Rabbi Roy Rosenbaum in memory of Rabbi Roy Rosenbaum's mother, Ruth Rosenbaum, Rachel bas Matisyahu, whose 12th Yahrzeit was on the 6th of Tammuz.
Community Programs & Listings
Condolences to Rabbi Dr. Hersh Mendlowitz on the passing of his wife, Chana Mendlowitz, and to Dr. Abbe (Adena) Mendlowitz, Sarah (Dr. Yossi) Scheller, and Judy (Rabbi Avrum) Friedmann on the passing of their mother. The funeral took place in Israel on Wednesday.
The Yad Yehuda Clothing Exchange has available hours for all members of the community to shop at no cost this Sunday, June 20, from 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM (note new time). This is an opportunity for people to come and shop for beautiful, Tzanua, clothing in our well-equipped showroom. Everyone must be in good health and not have been in contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19. If you have any questions please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, June 23, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments, shopping, etc. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. COVID-19 precautions are followed for the health of drivers and riders. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more information.
Capital Kosher Pantry Summer Collection – Please donate non-perishable items. Specially needed: canned pineapple, graham cracker crusts, olives, olive oil, Wacky Mac, yeast. Always needed: paper napkins, paper towels, tissues & toilet paper. You can buy items at your local store & place them in a Capital Kosher Pantry donation bin at Shalom, Moti's and area Shuls, or buy online & ship directly to us! Go to: www.yadyehuda.org/kosher-pantry for more information.
Yad Yehuda Donation Policy Update – Many unsolicited items are being dropped off at Yad Yehuda's office. We incur costs to dispose of those items. Please do not drop off: clothing/shoes/coats, household and baby items, electronics, books, Judaica/Sheimos. Donations of non-perishable food for the Capital Kosher Pantry are welcomed and appreciated.
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? Izun is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Email us at email@example.com
Fundamentals of Prayer – Wednesdays, 8:00 PM on Zoom. Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. Join any time! No cost. Zoom info and registration at linksgw.org/classes
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click “Sign Up.”
Kemp Mill Village is providing friendly phone calls and limited deliveries during the pandemic. Call 1-833-KMV-20902 to request service or to volunteer. See kempmillvillage.org for more information.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead Sunday
Ashkenazi: Shacharis: Sunday 6:30 AM (B)/7:30 AM (S)/8:45 AM (B); Monday/Thursday 6:15 AM (B)/6:45 AM (S)/8:45 AM (B); Tuesday/Wednesday/Friday 6:15 AM (B)/6:55 AM (S)/8:45 AM (B); Mincha/Maariv: Sunday – Thursday: 8:25 PM (B).
Additional Wednesday Mincha 7:30 PM (B), Maariv 10:00 (B).
Sephardi: Shacharis: Sunday through Friday: 7:30 AM; Mincha/Maariv: Sunday – Thursday: 8:30 PM.
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 4:00 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 4:39 AM, Latest Netz: 5:45 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:26 AM,
Earliest Mincha: 1:49 PM, Earliest Shkia: 8:37 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim: 9:27 PM
June 25 – 26, 2021 – 16 Tammuz 5781
Light Candles: 8:19
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, June 23 at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.yise.org
Office Hours: Closed Monday; Tuesday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM; Friday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Simi Franco – Office Manager