Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
July 12 – 13, 2019 – 10 Tammuz 5779 – Parshas Chukas
Light Candles by 8:16 – Havdalah 9:22
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by the Bramson family in commemoration of the Shloshim of Rabbi Sam Bramson, Z"L, and to thank Rabbi Rosenbaum and the community for all their help, visits, donations, cards and calls.
* Leah & Yoni Bresler and Hannah & Mitch Carl on the birth of a granddaughter, born to their children, Elisheva & Binyamin Carl, of Olney. Mazal Tov to great-grandpa Jack and great-grandma Miriam and all the Mishpacha.
* Vera & Dr. Bernard Ehrlich on the engagement of their son, Daniel, to Ayala Schwartz, daughter of Mona & David Schwartz of Monsey, NY.
* Jack Mehlman on the marriage of his grandson, Moshe Linfield, to Rachel Lerner of Teaneck, NJ. Mazal Tov to Faygah & Jed Linfield on the marriage of their son, and to Mordechai, Tzivia, Avrumi, Shoshana, Gavirella, and Nechama on the marriage of their brother and to the Mehlman and Cohen families on the marriage of their nephew and cousin.
* Debi & Max Rudmann and family on the engagement of their daughter, Ateret, to Yosef, son of Leah & Eli Feldman, of Baltimore.
* Zev Zalman Ludwick on the passing of his mother, Annette Ludwick. The funeral took place last Friday.
* Light Candles by 8:16, and not before 7:02
Ashkenazi: 6:45, 7:20, 8:20 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 8:15 Sephardi: 8:00 Nusach Sefard: 8:15
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:22
* Sephardi Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 Main Minyan, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* 8:00 Rabbi Yehuda Shinensky
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – sponsored by the many friends of John & Trish Golin to wish them a Tsaischem L'Shalom on their move to NYC and thank them for their devotion and service to YISE.
* Sephardi Minyan – Miri & Dror Shoshani
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Sandy & Melanie Karlin and family in commemoration of the 10th Yahrtzeit of their mother, grandmother and great-grandmother, Katie Karlin, Z"L, Kayla Gittel bas Shimon Ber.
* 9:15 Minyan – Leilui Nishmas Tuvia Zev ben Yisroel Yitzchak. Shabbos Shiurim:
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur 9:00 AM, Rabbi's Study.
* Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in theSmall Beis Medrash, will resume July 21.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash..
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the balcon, will resume July 24.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, in the Social Hall. Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter, will resume in the fall.
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Sage Wisdom with Rabbi Moshe Sadwin
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays at 7:40 PM in the Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics, will resume in the fall.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter,will resume in the fall.
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver in the Small Social Hall. For more information please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: firstname.lastname@example.org or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: email@example.com
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the room behind the Balcony, will resume July 24.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi BarryGreengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women,Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM, in the Social Hall.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? Appreciating Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash, will resume in the fall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Kesubos, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM in the Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
Accounting System Update As we enter the new fiscal year, we will be sending all members a welcome email so they can set a password to login to ShulCloud to pay their Shul bills. If you don't have an email on file with the Shul, or would like to confirm/update the address, contact the office at firstname.lastname@example.org If you would like to receive bills on paper, contact the shul office. Otherwise, all members with email addresses in the system will receive bills only via email.
Senior Lunch – Wednesday, July 17, 12 Noon, Social Hall. "The Story of the Jews: Among Believers", Episode 2, PBS DVD
Mikvah Cleaning – The Cheryl Stern Community Kelim Mikvah will be closed for cleaning the week of July 22.
Community-wide Training – YISE is hosting training on July 14, "STOP THE BLEED" and "C.R.A.S.E." To register for training sessions, go to https://www.yise.org/training See flyer for details.
Advances in Cancer Treatment – Sunday, July 28, 10:30 AM – 12 Noon in the YISE Small Social Hall. Learn about new techniques, their potential, how they work. Understand different treatment stages, how to advocate for yourself, and locate resources. Hear about coping with cancer and glean insights about quality of life issues. See flyer for details.
Community Service Day – Be part of a Community Service Day on August 4 from 12 Noon – 2:00 PM, sponsored by YISE, KMS and Chabad of Silver Spring. Volunteer at A Wider Circle distribution center, 9159 Brookville Rd., Silver Spring, MD – 301-608-3504. Help sort through donations, stock shelves, or load trucks. Great activity for most ages – individuals, families, and groups welcome. Upper School students get community service hours. For more information and to RSVP, please contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com First-time volunteers should fill out the waiver form:
Directions: Take Georgia Ave. south toward Silver Spring, turn right onto 16th St., right onto 2nd Ave.,left onto Luzerne Ave. and park at Woodlin Elementary and walkaround the dividing fence to A Wider Circle. A Wider Circle furnishes roughly 20 homes a day, thanks to the wonderful help of volunteers like you!
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a Jewish history topic, Monday, August 5, 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. West in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For more information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Save the Date! YISE Annual BBQ – August 18 in the Social Hall. Go to www.yise.org/bbq for details.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program is a service to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. By signing up, you are not committing to helpwith anything specific. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam
Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Ourfunds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth rooms behind the Balcony.
1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM.
Girls meet in the main lobby.
Boys meet outside the Social Hall.
Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Tot Shabbat – with Suri Kinzbrunner 10:30 AM – 11:00 AM in the toddler room for ages 2 and under.
Community Programs and Listings
Shabbos afternoon Shiur at University Towers – 1121 University Blvd W, Apt 516, on Shabbos, July 13 at 4:30 PM
Tzurba M'Rabanan learning group meets every Shabbos. Men's group at 3:30 PM at the home of Moshe & Rose Litwack, 11302 Monticello Ave. Women's group at 4:45 PM at the home of Josh & Mickie Breitstein, 1215 North Belgrade Road.
Boys Sunday Summer Learning and Pizza – GWCK invites boys entering 5th and 6th grades to learning and pizza with Rabbi Chaim Biberfeld. Sundays, July 14 & 28 – 10:15 AM -11:15 AM at Ben-Yehuda Pizza. No charge. Please RSVP to email@example.com
Post High School Girls Shiur – Tuesday night, July 16, 8:30 PM at the Pepper home, 1101 North Belgrade Road. This week's Shiur will be given by Alanna Pepper.
Summer Track Meet – Back for the third year, Ko-ach Sports presents a Summer Track Meet for kids in the community! A free event for the Jewish Community. Sunday, July 14, 4:00 PM – 6:00 PM at Montgomery Blair High School, 51 University Blvd, Silver Spring. Your kids will get the feel of a real track meet by running, jumping and racing their friends! Boys & Girls K – 6th grade. Top finishers in each race receive a ribbon. Go to www.Ko-achSports.com for more information. No registration required.
The Yad Zlata Concert – An evening of support and inspiring song, featuring Tali Yess & Boruch Sholom Blesofsky. Sunday, July 14, 7:00 PM, at the Bender JCC in Rockville. Proceeds help young families in crisis. A tribute to the memory of Mrs. Chaya Zlata Geisinsky. Visitwww.LinkUp.org for details or call 240-200-4515.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, July 17, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Ovadia Hayat at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
Yoetzet Halacha – Bracha Rutner will speak at KMS on Shabbos July 19 & 20, Friday night at the Ruach Minyan, Shabbos morning, at the Hashkama Minyan, and at 5:00 PM on Shabbos afternoon, when she and Rivka Sidorsky, LCSW-C, a certified sex therapist, will speak for women about "The Where, What, and When of Marital Intimacy." To meet with Bracha privately when she is here, please contact her directly at email@example.com
DC Lunch and Learn with Rabbi Grossman on "If It Feels Good, Do It? Jewish Law Perspectives on Recreational Drug Use and Legalization", Monday, July 22, 12 Noon -12:45 PM at Morgan, Lewis & Bockius, LLP Room 234. There is no cost for the lecture and kosher lunch. RSVP required to firstname.lastname@example.org
Rabbanit Yemima Mizrachi – Video presentation for women of "Bein HaMetzarim", Monday, July 22, 8:30 PM in Ohr HaTorah social hall, cost $8.
Daf Yomi Shiur meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before the YISE late Mincha.
Capital Kosher Pantry – The shelves at Yad Yehuda's Capital Kosher Pantry need restocking. Please help us replenish the foods so very needed by your friends and neighbors. Items most needed at this time include: Almond or soy milk, apple juice, canned fruit, cereals, granola/snack bars, healthy grains (farro, rice mixes), juice packs, pancake syrup, pareve crackers, pasta sauce, pizza sauce, rice cakes and vegetarian baked beans. Please DO NOT donate pasta or matzah. All items must be factory sealed in unbreakable containers, Kosher and well within the use-by date. Donation boxes are located in area shuls, Berman Hebrew Academy, Moti's Market, Shalom Kosher, Torah School, YGW Girls Division and in front of Yad Yehuda House at 1910 University Boulevard West. You may also visit yadyehuda.org/pantry to shop online and have products shipped directly to the Pantry. Our friends and neighbors in need rely on your generous assistance. Thank you so much for doing your part.
Kollel Dirshu of Silver Spring is studying Maseches Gittin at the YGW. Daily morning shiur given by Rabbi Eli Reingold at 5:45 AM and evening shiur by Ranon Cortell and Pinchas Werner at 9:00 PM. Chavrusah are also available during these learning times. For more information and to join our learning program please contact Hirsh Komarow (301) 681-1646; email@example.com
Dirshu Mishnah Brurah – Learn Chelek Daled with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Learn the Halachos of Eruvin and Techumin. Finish the Chelek in eleven months! Monday through Thursday at YISE after Maariv. For more information contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd., will resume July 24.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Rd., will resume July 28.
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services or to volunteer.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday July 14 Monday July 15 Tuesday July 16 Wednesday July 17 Thursday July 18 Friday July 19
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Ashkenazi 8:20 8:20 8:20 8:20 8:20 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 8:15 8:15 8:15 8:15 8:15
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 4:56 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:33 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:51 PM
July 19 – 20, 2019 – 17 Tammuz 5779
Light Candles: Friday by 8:12 – Havdalah: 9:17
* Light Candles by 8:12, and not before 6:59
Ashkenazi: 6:40, 7:15, 8:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 8:10 Sephardi: 7:55 Nusach Sefard: 8:10
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:17
Sunday, July 14 Community Safety/Security Training, 12:30 PM
Wednesday, July 17 Senior Lunch, 12 Noon
Sunday, July 28 Advances in Cancer Treatment, 10:30 AM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, July 17 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday: 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager