Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
November 22 – 23, 2019 – 25 Cheshvan 5780 – Parshas Chayei Sarah, Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 4:31 – Havdalah 5:32
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Rick Greenberg and family in commemoration of the fourth Yahrzeit of Rick's father, Dr. Raymond Greenberg, Reuven ben Shmuel, Alav Hashalom.
* Fran & Alan Broder on the birth of a grandson, Yosef Yitzchak, born to their children, Eva & Hillel Broder of Long Beach, NY. Mazal Tov to siblings Moshe, Rebecca, Aaron, Baruch and Asher, great-grandparents Marilyn & Sol Broder and Glicka Creeger, aunt and uncle Batsheva & Moshe Broder and cousins Serena and Emma Broder.
* Hedy Peyser on the passing of her husband, Rabbi Paul Peyser, and Uri and Shoshana on the passing of their father. The funeral took place in Israel on Monday. Hedy is observing Shiva at the home of Uri Peyser, 388 Roosevelt Blvd., West Hempstead, NY, phone number 516-481-1948, through Sunday morning, with Shacharis at 8:00 AM.
* Light Candles by 4:31
Ashkenazi: 4:35 Ruach Minyan: 4:35 Sephardi: 4:30 Nusach Sefard: 4:35
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:30 Sephardi: 4:10 Nusach Sefard: 4:30
* Shabbos ends: 5:32
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi – Avishay & Avigail Barda in honor of their daughter Linoy's Bat Mitzvah.
* 8:00 Minyan- "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Debbie, Jeanne, and Jay Rogal in memory of Barbara Rogal, on the occasion of her 1st Yahrzeit on 24 Cheshvan and by Arlene Groner in memory of her father, Rabbi Jack Pianko, on the occasion of his 12th Yahrzeit on 21 Cheshvan.
* 9:15 Minyan – Arleeta & Rabbi Ivan Lerner in blessed memory of Arleeta's father, one of the founders of YISE, Shmuel ben Dovid (Sam Axelrod) on his 11th Yahrzeit on 22 Cheshvan.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur 9:00 AM, Rabbi's Study.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 3:40 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha
YISE Programs and Listings
Ruach Minyan – This Friday, November 22, in the Large Social Hall. During part of the Davening there will be a special story telling program. So bring the family and invite your friends, it's going to be Gevaldic! For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Dor l'Dor – Come join Dor l'Dor: the Family Chevrusah-style Learning in a fun environment, this Motzei Shabbos, November 23, 7:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. This Dor l'Dor is sponsored by Eva & Isaac Moses in memory of his mother, Zemira Leah bat Tzvi Halevi .Delicious Pizza! Interactive Discussions! Raffle of Exciting Prizes! To sponsor this program, contact Michael Shimoff at email@example.com
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, December 2, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. West in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517.
Rabbi Meir Goldwicht, Scholar-in-Residence – YISE & KMS are cohosting Rabbi Meir Goldwicht, the Joel and Maria Finkle Visiting Israeli Rosh Yeshiva at Yeshiva University, for a community Scholar-in-Residence program on Shabbos December 20 – 21. Rabbi Goldwicht will speak as follows:
* After a Friday evening community dinner at YISE
* After Hashkamah Minyan at KMS.
* After the 8:45 and 9:15 Minyanim in the YISE Belonofsky Sanctuary
* A women's Shiur at the home of Alan & Fran Broder, 11801 Clintwood Place, at 3:25 PM
* Between Mincha and Maariv at KMS
More information about the dinner and topics will be available shortly.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT¡¨L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, will resume December 1.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by Classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash. Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings, 7:30 PM, in the Small Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah, will resume December 5.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An in-depth analysis
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver in the Small Social Hall. For more information please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: firstname.lastname@example.org or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: email@example.com
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Small Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM, in the Social Hall
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women – new topic: A 2nd Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective. Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Gittin on Wednesday evenings, in the Social Hall at 7:50 PM.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth rooms behind the Balcony. 1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Tot Shabbat – with Suri Kinzbrunner 10:30 AM – 11:00 AM in the toddler room for ages 2 and under.
Community Programs & Listings
The Unveiling for Jacob S. Edeson, Z"L, will take place Sunday, December 8, at 11:30 AM at Mt. Lebanon Cemetery. Everyone is welcome to attend. Men are needed for a Minyan. Please contact Esther Edeson at 301-593-1468 if you are able to attend.
Mazal Tov to former member Hannah Gershon, who made Aliyah in August and now lives in Jerusalem. Mazal Tov on the Bar Mitzvah of her oldest great-grandson, Yehuda Lavi, of the Yishuv of Adora, Israel. Mazal Tov to his parents, Miriam (Gershon) & Eitan Kupietzky, his siblings Benaya, Akiva, Choni, Petachia and Raaya and to all of the Gershon and Kupietzky families.
Tzurba M'Rabanan learning group meets every Shabbos. Men's group at 3:00 PM at the home of Eric & Suri Kinzbrunner, 1151 Kersey Road. Women's group at 3:45 PM at the home of Josh & Mickie Breitstein, 1215 North Belgrade Road.
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, November 23, 3:00 PM at 1121 University Blvd. West Apt. 516.
Winter Coat Drive -Yad Yehuda's Clothing Exchange is collecting men's, women's and children's coats from November 19 – 29. Boys' coats of all sizes are especially needed. Please donate new or pristine-quality used coats only. Donations may be dropped off at the following locations:
* Friedman home: 903 Holborn Street (Kemp Mill)
* Carmel home: 1212 North Belgrade Road (Kemp Mill)
* Biberfeld home: 10909 Oakwood Street (White Oak)
* The Clothing Exchange donation bin: on the porch of Yad Yehuda House, 1910 University Blvd W., Silver Spring, MD 20902 (brick house at the end of the Har Tzeon parking lot)
Visit www.yadyehuda.org/clothing-exchange for more info.
(No) Strings Attached: To What Extent is a Community Bound by the Conditions of a Donation? – The Federal Holiday Learning Program for Men, with Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum, Rav of YISE. Thanksgiving Day, Thursday, November 28, at the YGW Boys Campus. Breakfast 9:00 AM, Chavrusa Learning 9:30 AM, Shiur 10:40 AM. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
Post High School Girls Shiur – Wednesday nights at the Pepper home, 1101 North Belgrade Road., will resume December 4.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, December 4, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Ovadia Hayat at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Simply Tsfat – Live in concert at KMS, Tuesday, December 24, 8:00 PM. Tickets: adult $10, children & students $5, sponsors $100. Purchase tickets at www.kmsynagogue.org or at the door.
Partners in Tefillah matches people with others in need of similar assistance from Hashem. The feedback we have received so far has been amazing. You, too, can Daven for someone else in the community and have them daven for you. May Hashem answer all your prayers. Please visit www.yadyehuda.org/partners-in-tefillah to learn more and to sign up.
Daf Yomi Shiur meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Kollel Dirshu of Silver Spring is studying Maseches Gittin at the YGW. Daily morning shiur given by Rabbi Eli Reingold at 5:45 AM and evening shiur by Ranon Cortell and Pinchas Werner at 9:00 PM. Chavrusah are also available during these learning times. For more information and to join our learning program please contact Hirsh Komarow (301) 681-1646; email@example.com
Dirshu Mishnah Brurah – Learn Chelek Daled with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Learn the Halachos of Eruvin and Techumin. Finish the Chelek in eleven months! Monday through Thursday at YISE after Maariv. For more information contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click ¡§Sign Up.¡¨
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 12:30 PM – 1:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services or to volunteer.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday November 24 Monday November 25 Tuesday November 26 Wednesday November 27 Thur., Nov. 28 – Rosh Chodesh – Thanksgiving Day Friday November 29 – Rosh Chodesh
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:30 7:15
Ashkenazi 4:35 4:35 / 7:30 4:35 / 7:30 4:35 / 7:30 4:35 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 4:30 4:30 4:30 4:30 4:30
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:10 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:27 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:27 PM
November 29 – 30, 2019 – 2 Kislev 5780
Light Candles: Friday by 4:28 – Havdalah: 5:30
* Light Candles by 4:28
Ashkenazi: 4:30 Sephardi: 4:25 Nusach Sefard: 4:30
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:25 Sephardi: 4:05 Nusach Sefard: 4:25
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:30
Friday, November 22 Ruach Minyan, 4:35 PM
Motzei Shabbos, Nov. 23 Dor L'Dor, 7:00 PM
Sunday, November 24 Blood Drive, 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM
Tuesday, November 26 YISE Board of Directors Meeting, 8:00 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, November 27 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-55c61 E-Mail: email@example.com
Office Hours: Monday – Wednesday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Closed Thursday (Thanksgiving Day), Friday: 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager