Young Israel Shomrai Emunah -Shabbos Shorts
November 18 – 19, 2022 – 25 Marcheshvan 5783 – Parshas Chayei Sarah/Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 4:33 – Havdalah 5:34
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored anonymously in honor of Simi Franco, Barbara Price and Josh Breitstein
and by Rita Umlas in honor of the Bar Mitzvah of her grandson, Sam Thompson.
* Mindy & Shmuel Tolchinsky on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson Eliyahu, son of Batsheva & Motti Tolchinsky of Cleveland, OH. Mazal Tov to Eliyahu's siblings, to grandparents Rebbetzin Rivka (Winter) & Rabbi Akiva Rothenberg, to great-grandparents Janet Rottenberg and Yehuda Tolchinsky, and to all of the aunts, uncles, and cousins.
* Lynn & Aron Trombka on the birth of a granddaughter, Meirav Tova, born to Elana & Yosie Friedman of Baltimore.
Minyan locations are B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall, LBM = Large Beis Medrash, SBM = Small Beis Medrash, H = The House
* Light Candles by 4:33
* Mincha: 4:35 (B), 4:30 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen, H)
This Shabbos, every Minyan at the main YISE building will have an active threat security briefing. YISE's Security Committee will provide a brief tutorial on the Shul's emergency protocol so you and your family will know what to do, Chas VeShalom, in an active threat scenario at shul. The YISE Security Committee is working to prepare additional training sessions for the Teen Minyan and Youth Groups.
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 4:30 (B), 4:25 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends: 5:34
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 9:15 Minyan Rabbi Postelnek
* Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura Rabbi Postelnek
* Shiur after Mincha Rabbi Postelnek
* The Hashkamah Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by the Hashkamah Minyan Kiddush Group.
* The Shul Kiddush is sponsored by Iris & Adam Bashein with gratitude to Hashem on their Chai wedding anniversary, which is Rosh Chodesh Kislev and on the secular calendar was November 14, and thank you to the Kiddush volunteers, and by Rachelli & Craig Simon and Family in honor of the Zechus of the Chosson Bereishis Aliyah on Simchas Torah.
Hachnasas Sefer Torah
Mrs. Feigy & Rabbi Tuvia Grauman invite the community to join in finishing a new Sefer Torah, dedicated in memory of their parents, Shmuel Zanvyl & Charna Rand and Yisroel Yehuda & Chana Leah Grauman. The Hachnasas Sefer Torah will take place on Sunday, November 20, starting at 10:00 AM at the YGW Beis Medrash and finishing with procession to YISE, dancing with the Torah and a Seudas Hodaah brunch. In case of inclement weather, the entire dedication will be at YISE. See flyer for details.
* Any person eligible for a fully FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine (16 years of age or older), but who chooses to not be vaccinated may attend YISE Minyanim and events with the following guidelines. Unvaccinated individuals must remain masked at all times while in the Shul building, including at Kiddushes and/or other events containing food. Masks may not be removed to eat or drink. Exceptions will be made for private functions being held at the Shul, but that are not Shul sponsored events.
* Anyone with any of the following symptoms should not come to shul: fever of 100.4 degrees or higher, chills, muscle aches, sore throat, severe cough, headache, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue, congestion or runny nose, or new loss of sense of taste or smell. If you have tested positive for COVID, you should follow the CDC guidelines.
* Masks are now optional for vaccinated adults and for children under 16.
* There are no social distancing requirements in the YISE building.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
YISE Youth Announcements
Teen Minyan – The Teen Minyan, led by Rabbi Moshe Holzer, meets at 9:15 AM every Shabbos in The House next to the Shul. Kiddush is served after Davening.
Shabbos Groups this Shabbos, November 19, from 10:00 AM until Shul ends. Age 18-36 months (Mommy & me) in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 2-5 years (drop off) in the room behind the balcony. Ages 6-9 years will meet at Shomrai and walk to the Yeshiva. For more information, contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org
Shabbos Group for 5th and 6th Grade Girls will gather in the front yard of The House next to the Shul promptly at 10 am and go inside together. See flyer for details.
Junior Congregation for boys in grades 4 – 6 with Jay Marcus Meet in the Lower Lobby at 9:55 and walk to the Yeshiva at 10:00. See flyer for details.
Dor L'Dor – The Family Chevrusah-style Learning in a fun environment! First session will take place this Motzei Shabbos, November 19, 7:00 PM in the Social Hall. Please email email@example.com This week's Dor L'Dor is sponsored by Debi & Max Rudmann and Elyse & Haim Gabay on the occasion of the 4th Yahrzeit of Natan Ben Zev Hacohen, 18th Marcheshvan and in memory of Lisa Landy (Liba Hendel Bas Chayim), Z"L, a beloved morah for many years at the YISE nursery, who passed away on the 7th of Marcheshvan.
YISE Programs and Listings
Ruach Minyan this Shabbos, Friday, November 18, led by Dave Sloan! And, there will be a special storytelling program during part of Maariv with Susan Koss! Mincha in the Belonofsky Sanctuary, followed by Kabbalos Shabbos and Maariv in the Social Hall. Bring your family and invite your friends. It's going to be Gevaldic! For questions, contact Adam Bashein: 301-943-4370 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura – A weekly Chabura on the Parsha, now learning the Kedushas Levi. Delve into the deeper dimensions of the Parsha and Holidays by learning the Kedushas Levi's weekly insights. Begins at 8:55 AM Shabbos morning. This week's Shiur will be led by Rabbi Postelnek. See flyer for details.
Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur – Following the Hashkamah Minyan, learning Maseches Sanhedrin, in the Small Beis Medrash. This week's Shiur will be led by Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
Living Shabbos – Join YISE young professionals for a series on the laws of Shabbos with Rabbi Postelnek. Tuesdays, 8:15 PM – 9:00 PM, at the home of David & Tamara Goodman, 11611 Kemp Mill Road. For questions or to join the WhatsApp group contact Rabbi Postelnek at email@example.com Recordings available at https://wp.yise.org/living-shabbos
Monthly Shalosh Seudos – First Shabbos of each month. To sponsor, contact Simi Franco at 301-593-4465, ext. 103, or firstname.lastname@example.org Volunteers are needed to set up and clean up. Contact Ethan Cohen at email@example.com to be part of the rotation.
YISE Youth Shabbos Morning Groups Coordinator Needed – You can make a real difference in our community and meet wonderful people at the same time. Position requires 2 hours on Shabbos morning plus planning time during the week. Generous salary. For more information, contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org or Esti Thurman at email@example.com
Bug Checking Seminar – Hands-on presentation with Rabbi Sholom Tendler of the Star-K has been postponed to Sunday, December 11. For more info, please contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
Online YISE Cholim List – Go to https://wp.yise.org/cholim to add a name to the list. The list is used at the 8:45 Minyan on Monday, Thursday, and Shabbos. For questions about Mi Sheberach guidelines, contact Rabbi Rosenbaum. For other questions, contact Seth Katz at email@example.com
Kiddush Volunteers Needed from ALL Minyanim to help set up and clean up for Kiddushes on Shabbos morning. Times vary. Let us know when you are available. Contact Barbara Price at 301-332-8181.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, a part of YISE's Chesed Committee, provides assistance to families undergoing medical crises. For information, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at https://audio.yise.org
Thank you to the Shiurim Sponsors for this Past Week:
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in memory of Rabbi Hyatt, Z"L, and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur and in memory of parents, Avraham Ben Tzvi HaLevi & Ada Bas Menachem Aryeh, Z"L, and Rabbi Hillel & Mrs. Myrna Klavan, Z"L.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Mussar Shiur
* Leah Paretzky in commemoration of the Yahrzeit of her mother, Chaya Basya Bas Leib v'Chanah, Z"L.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha/Halacha Shiur
* Rochelle Dimont in commemoration of the Yahrzeit of her mother-inlaw, Chana Bat Avraham Mordechai, Z"L, on the 21st of Marcheshvan.
* Norma Joseph and Family to commemorate the Yahrzeit of Louis Joseph, Eliezer ben Avraham, Z"L.
* Debbie Rogal and Jay Rogal in memory of Barbara Rogal, Debbie's mother and Jay's wife, on her Yahrzeit on 24 Marcheshvan.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur
* Debbie Rogal in memory of her mother, Barbara Rogal, on her Yahrzeit on 24 Marcheshvan.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur
* Rochelle Dimont in memory of her father, HaRav Elazar Ben HaRav Yechiel Shraga Feivish HaLevi, Z"L.
Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in honor of Rabbi Grossman and all those who attend his Shiur. 8:45 Minyan Drasha
* Rochelle Dimont in memory of her father, HaRav Elazar Ben HaRav Yechiel Shraga Feivish HaLevi, Z"L.
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
* Bobbi & Jules Meisler wish a Happy 26th Anniversary to Naomi & Jan Meisler.
* Bobbi & Jules Meisler wish a Happy Chai Anniversary to Iris & Adam Bashein.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Monday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
* Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur, Shabbos Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The 8:45 and 9:15 Shabbos Drashas are both available for sponsorship at $54 each.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Options for in-person and remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday, 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:30 PM, Zoom A, will not take place on Tuesday, November 22 or on Thursday, November 24.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A, will not take place on Sunday, November 20.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Mishlei, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM breakfast, 9:45 AM, will not take place on Sunday, November 20.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C, will not take place on Sunday, November 20.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info., contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same Page Gemara.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Reading Responsa – Zoom E.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom F.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys – Zoom D.
* SCP (Semichas Chaver Program) – Tuesdays at 8:45 PM at YISE. Join the fastest growing Halacha learning program in the world! Register online at https://thegreaterwashingtoncommunitykollel.com/scp See flyer for details.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy's Gemara Shiur, Masechet Chulin, Sunday through Friday, 6:35 AM – 7:20 AM, in the Franco Beit Midrash.
* Chavrusa Learning – Monday nights in the Social Hall, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM For more information, contact Rabbi Levy 240-423-8810.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurim for men & women, Mondays at 9:00 AM, studying Parashas Hashavua, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", in-person in the Small Beis Medrash and on Zoom G.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Bava Metzia, Daf 3a. Wednesday evenings at 8:00 PM on Zoom H.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 or 929-205-6099 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 833 3477 1595, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 601 853 4021, passcode Winter (phone 667362)
Zoom E: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom F: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom H: ID: 849 3898 4989, passcode 161699
Community Programs & Listings
Kidney Donation Needed – Mr. Gerry Segelman, father of Micah Segelman, is in need of a kidney transplant. If you would consider being a kidney donor, please contact Rabbi Chaim Steinmetz at Renewal for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org or 718-431-9831 ext 209.
Siyum in Memory of Lisa Landy – Go to http://hadranalach.com/2514 to join a Siyum Mishnayos planned for the first Yahrzeit of Lisa Landy, Liba Hendel Bas Chayim.
The Capital Closet will be open to this community this Sunday, November 20, from 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM. Come peruse our beautiful, curated selection of clothing for women, men, and children, as well as Torah School uniforms! We are at 1910 University Blvd, West in Silver Spring, in the brick house at the back of the parking lot. There is no charge for items in The Capital Closet, but donations to Yad Yehuda are always appreciated. We are unable to accept clothing donations at this time with the exception of Torah School uniforms in pristine condition, or new coats. For more info. contact email@example.com
The Halachic Controversy of Sherry Cask Scotch – Join Kollel Zichron Amaram for the Federal Holiday Learning Program on on Thanksgiving Day, November 24, at the YGW Boys' Campus and on Zoom, Meeting ID: 892 627 5529, Passcode: 1216613. 7:45 AM Davening, 9:00 AM breakfast, 9:30 AM learning, 10:40 AM – 11:20 AM Shiur with Rabbi Tzvi Rosen, Kashrus administrator at Star-K. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at firstname.lastname@example.org or 240-858-2041.
Bring Some Warmth To Your Friends & Neighbors in Need – Donate warm food items to the Capital Kosher Food Pantry's Cold Weather Food Drive. We need your help to stock up on soups, hot beverages, hot breakfast cereals and more for the coming cold months. All food donations should be shelf-stable, factory sealed, well within the use-by date, and be marked with Star-K, OU, CRC, OK or Kof-K certification. For complete details, please visit: https://www.capitalkosherpantry.org/cold-weather-food-drive
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, November 30, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM, in person in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manaasseh Katz at email@example.com for more info.
Alshich on the Parsha with Rabbi Levy – Shabbat afternoon between Mincha and Maariv in the Franco Beit Midrash.
Zoom Shiurim with Rabbi Levy – Monday through Friday on Zoom, Meeting ID: 636 563 5989. Alshich – 9:20 AM – 10:15 AM. Gemara Ribit 10:15 AM – 11:30 AM. Hilchot Lashon Hara 12:45 PM – 1:45 PM.
YGW Kollel Zichron Amram Machshava – Probing Jewish Thought Through the Works of Rav Yitzchak Hutner, ZT"L, with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold, Rosh Kollel, Sundays at 8:00 PM on Zoom, Meeting ID: 825 0731 6850, Passcode: 1216613. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
Dirshu – Please join Dirshu, which began Bava Metzia on December 20. Shiur options at YGW: Monday – Friday, 5:45 AM (R. Reingold) or Monday – Thursday, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM (R. Cortell/R. Werner). «out 2.5 Daf covered each week.
TGN Program: Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Siddur with Mrs. Esther Dziadek, Wednesday mornings, 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM, on Zoom B. For more information call 301-732-1773 or email firstname.lastname@example.org The class will resume on Wednesday, November 30.
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments, shopping, etc. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. COVID-19 precautions are followed for the health of drivers and riders. Contact email@example.com, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more info.
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? IZUN is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Go to https://getizun.org or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online weekdays via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at email@example.com to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM. Shabbos in-person, 7:30 AM in the YISE Social Hall.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Thursday, Nov. 24 – Rosh Chodesh/Thanksgiving
Friday, Nov. 25 – Rosh Chodesh
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 5:39 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 6:07 AM, Latest Netz: 7:04 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:25 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:26 PM, Earliest Shkia: 4:47 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim 5:34 PM
November 25 – 26, 2022 – 2 Kislev 5783
* Light Candles by 4:30
* Mincha: 4:30 (B), 4:25 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen, H)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 4:25 (B), 4:20 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 5:31
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, November 23 at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 Email: email@example.com
Office Hours: Monday – Wednesday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM,
Thursday: Closed, Friday: 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager