Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
January 7 – 8, 2022 – 6 Shevat 5782 – Parshas Bo
Light Candles by 4:43 – Havdalah 5:47
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Max & Deborah L. Rudmann on the 39th Yahrzeit, 5th of Shevat, of Ezra Ben Menachem Hanina. B"H, almost 60 years ago Ernest Rudmann extricated himself and his family from Egypt, where he was born and had lived for 56 years,
and by Marisa Roy & David Ratner in honor of Marisa's birthday.
* Vivian & Arnie Kirshenbaum on the birth of a great-granddaughter, Rena Ariella, to their grandchildren Isabella & Akiva Garfinkel of Lincolnwood, IL. Mazal Tov to the grandparents, Shanie & Bill Bokor and Haskell Garfinkel.
* Rachel & Shevach Sushner on the Bar Mitzvah of their son Ezra. Mazal Tov to siblings Yonah and Galya and to all of the extended Moses, Sushner and Karlin families.
Minyan locations are listed as B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall. LBM = Large Beis Medrash, SBM – Small Beis Medrash
* Light Candles by 4:43
* Mincha: 4:45 (B), 4:35 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen Minyan, SBM)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 4:40 (B), 4:35 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 5:47
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Postelnek
* 9:15 Rabbi Rosenbaum
* Shiur after Mincha Rabbi Postelnek
* 8:45 Minyan Kiddush in a Bag is sponsored by the 8:45 Haimish Kiddush Group.
* 9:15 Kiddush in a Bag sponsored by Rachel & Shevach Sushner in honor of their son Ezra's Bar Mitzvah.
YISE Youth Announcements
Shabbos Groups this Shabbos, January 8, from 10:00 AM until Shul ends. Masks required indoors for age 2+. Age 18-36 months (Mommy & me) in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 2-5 years (drop off) in the room behind the balcony. Ages 6-9 years will meet at Shomrai and walk over to the Yeshiva. For more information, contact Talya Miller, YISE Youth groups coordinator, at email@example.com
Dor L'Dor – The Family Chevrusah-style Learning in a fun environment! Next session will take place this Motzei Shabbos, January 8, 7:00 PM in the Social Hall. This week's Dor L'Dor is sponsored by Debbie & Jeff Weinstein and family in honor of the Yahrzeit of Debbie's mother, Leah Bat Dovid. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to sponsor. See flyer for details.
* The YISE Board has mandated that everyone 16 and older who is medically eligible for an FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 in order to enter the Shul building.
* Masks are required for ALL people in the YISE Arcola building, whether vaccinated or unvaccinated, except for children under the age of 2.
* Given the current surge in COVID cases, we ask that you not remove your mask in Shul for any reason. If you need to remove your mask, please step out of the Shul.
* There are no social distancing requirements in the YISE building. There are no in-person Kiddushes at this time.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday 7:30 PM, Zoom A, will not take place on Thursday, January 13.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A, will resume Sunday, January 16.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Mishlei, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM, Zoom F.
* Rabbi Hillel Shaps – Unraveling the Navi: Melachim Aleph
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more information, contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same PageGemara – in person (Social Hall) and on Zoom F.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Reading Responsa – Zoom D.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom H.
* For Women – Zoom I
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys
* Tuesdays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Sefer Bereishis
* SCP (Semichat Chaver Program) – Tuesdays at 8:45 PM. A new semester began on October 19. Join the fastest growing Halacha learning program in the world! Now back in person at YISE. Register at gwckollel.org/scp
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy's Gemara Shiur, Masechet Chulin, Sunday through Friday, 6:35 AM – 7:20 AM, in the Franco Beit Midrash.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurim for men & women, Mondays at 9:00 AM, studying Parashas Hashavua, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", Zoom E.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Bava Kama 7th Perek Merubah. Wednesday evenings, 8:00 PM, Zoom G.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom E: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom F: ID: 349 754 2180, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
Zoom H: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
Zoom I: ID: 601 853 4021, password Winter
YISE Programs and Listings
Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura – A weekly Chabura in the Nesivos Shalom on the Parsha. Delve into the deeper dimensions of the Parsha and Holidays by learning the Nesivos Shalom's weekly insights. Begins at 8:55 AM Shabbos mornings in the Social Hall. This week's Shiur will be given by Rabbi Rosenbaum.
Kashrus in the Kitchen – Learn the background and practical laws of Kashrus. Tuesdays, 8:15 PM – 9:00 PM, at the home of David & Tamara Goodman: 11611 Kemp Mill Road. Masks optional. Given by Rabbi Postelnek. For questions or to join the WhatsApp group, contact Rabbi Postelnek at 571-340-0227 or firstname.lastname@example.org Recordings available at https://wp.yise.org/kashrus-kitchen
Silver Spring Women's Nach Yomi Siyum – Sunday, January 16. The Siyum is co-sponsored by YISE, KMS, Ohr Hatorah, SEHC and WSAT. The program features dynamic women of the Silver Spring community and interactive, fun components. Join your friends and neighbors at the virtual event enjoy a complimentary light lunch, too. 11:15 AM – Login to Zoom, 11:30 AM – Program, 1:00 PM – Livestream to NY Siyum. All confirmed registrants will receive the links to the Silver Spring Nach Yomi Siyum and the New York Nach Yomi Siyum. RSVP to Laurie Cohen, LSCTeach@gmail.com or Deborah Laufer, email@example.com If you would like a complimentary lunch, include your address. RSVP deadline to receive a complimentary lunch is Sunday, January 9. We look forward to celebrating with you at this virtual event.
Ask the Rabbi: Positive Mitzvos of Shabbos and Havdalah – Tuesday, January 25, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM on Zoom A. Send in your questions about positive Mitzvos of Shabbos and Havdalah to AskTheRabbi@yise.org by Sunday, January 23. For more information and to submit questions by phone or anonymously, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
Kiddush in a Bag! While we are not yet back to regular in-Shul Kiddushes, we are happy to now offer Kiddush in a Bag for the 8:45 Minyan. To sponsor the Kiddush in a Bag, contact Simi Franco at email@example.com
Volunteers Are Needed Weekly to help assemble Kiddush in a Bag. If you can help please contact Simi Franco at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-593- 4465 x403.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this muchneeded medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax-deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Monday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The 8:45 and 9:15 Shabbos Drashas are both available for sponsorship at $54 each.
Please email email@example.com to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to the Shiurim sponsors for this Past Week:
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in honor of a Refuah Sheleimah to Rabbi Hyatt and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha/Halacha Shiur
* Rochelle Dimont and family in memory of Chayim Dimont, Chayim Ben HaRav Avraham Mordechai, Z"L.
* Susan & Rabbi Saul Koss in memory of their beloved daughter, Miriam, on her 4th Yahrzeit on the 5th of Shevat.
* Deborah L. & Max Rudmann on the 39th Yahrzeit, 5th of Shevat, of Ezra Ben Menachem Hanina.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur
* Deborah L. & Max Rudmann on the 39th Yahrzeit, 5th of Shevat, of Ezra Ben Menachem Hanina.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Chumash Shiur
* Harriet & Ron Sheinson in memory of Dr. Miriam Gutman, Miriam Devorah Bas Harav Shaul Chayim, Z"L.
* Deborah L. & Max Rudmann on the 39th Yahrzeit, 5th of Shevat, of Ezra Ben Menachem Hanina.
8:45 Minyan Drasha
* Susan and Rabbi Saul Koss in memory of their beloved daughter, Miriam, on her 4th Yahrzeit on the 5th of Shevat.
* Bev Morris & Art Boyars in memory of their beloved cousin Frank Jacob "Mikey" Butler, Raphael Michoel Yitzchak Ben Doniel Eliyahu Halevi V'Nechama Sarah, Z"L, on the occasion of his 18th Yahrzeit, Gimel Shevat, He would have been 42 years old. May Hashem protect him always. He had so much love, Bitachon and Emunah and taught us so much. We will never forget him.
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org: Sponsor name, birthday or anniversary date, name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
Community Programs & Listings
Registration for Baseball Is Now Open! Ko-ach Sports league for boys in 1st through 5th grades. Now in our 6th year! New for 2022: All 6th – through 8th grade boys are invited to join Major League Baseball, a new older division of Ko-ach Sports. Little League rules will be used, w hich include kid pitch, stealing, bunting and playoffs. All games on Sundays at White Oak Middle School. Season begins Sunday, March 27. For more information and registration, go to www.ko-achsports.com Play Ball!
The Capital Closet of Yad Yehuda (formerly the Clothing Exchange) will be open to the community this Sunday, January 9, from 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM, at 1910 University Blvd. West. Come peruse our beautiful, curated selection of winter clothing for men, women and children. Masks are required in the Capital Closet. If you prefer to schedule a private shopping appointment, please email Naomi Carmel at email@example.com There is no charge for items in The Capital Closet, but donations to Yad Yehuda are always appreciated.
Women's Online Shiur with Rabbi Yehoshua Levy- Free 1-hour shiur on Zoom on the first and third Sundays of each month at 7:15 PM. Topic: Eishet Hayil, with principles from Mesilat Yesharim and weekly Sidra. In English. All levels of ability are welcome. You needn't attendevery Shiur, but RSVPs are requested. Contact Shiur Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
YGW Kollel Zichron Amram Machshava – Probing Jewish Thought Through the Works of Rav Yitzchak Hutner, ZT"L, with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold, Rosh Kollel, Sundays at 8:00 PM on Zoom, Meeting ID: 825 0731 6850, Passcode: 1216613. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
Dirshu- Please join Dirshu as it began Bava Metzia on December 20. Shiur options at YGW: Monday – Friday, 5:45 AM (R. Reingold) or Monday – Thursday, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM (R. Cortell/R. Werner). About 2.5 Daf covered each week.
Join the Mikvah Emunah Society – MES asks for assistance twice a year – once through an event, and then through membership fees. Membership, only $30 per month, includes user fees and provides educational opportunities, but most importantly keeps our community strong and thriving. The MES urges all who live in our community to join by becoming a member. Visit http://www.mikvahemunah.com/membership to show your support.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, January 12, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Learning Tanach in Memory of Avi West, Z"L – Please join a Siyum Tanach for our friend and mentor, to be completed by his Yahrzeit, August 22, 2022, 25 Av, 5782. Learning from Chumash has been subscribed. There are a number of sections remaining in Neviim and Kesuvim. Sign up for as many as you wish and please share this info. with others who may be interested in joining this learning. Sign up at http://hadranalach.com/2090
New Year – New Volunteers – BCGW is growing and looking for more volunteers. If you have an interest in volunteering your time to help patients and their loved ones, we need you! BCGW provides professional volunteer training and ongoing support. Please visit our website www.bikurcholimgw.org and go to the volunteer tab to sign up.
Parsha Explorations with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Presented by the Greater Washington Community Kollel and Kemp Mill Synagogue, Sunday evenings, 7:30 PM at KMS and on Zoom, Meeting ID: 655 813 1022, Passcode: 365636. For men and women.
TGN Program: Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Birkat Hamazon with Mrs. Esther Dziadek, Wednesday mornings, 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM, on Zoom B. For more information call 301-732-1773 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments, shopping, etc. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. COVID-19 precautions are followed for the health of drivers and riders. Contact email@example.com, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more info.
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? IZUN is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Go to https://getizun.org or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online weekdays via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at email@example.com to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM. Shabbos in-person at 7:30 AM in the YISE Social Hall.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 6:02 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 6:30 AM, Latest Netz: 7:28 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:51 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:48 PM, Earliest Shkia: 5:03 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim: 5:54 PM
January 14 – 15, 2022 – 13 Shevat 5782
* Light Candles by 4:50
* Mincha: 4:50 (B), 4:40 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 4:45 (B), 4:40 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 5:54
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, January 12 at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Friday: 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office