Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
January 31 – February 1, 2020 – 6 Shevat 5780 – Parshas Bo
Light Candles by 5:09 – Havdalah 6:11
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Rabbi and Mrs. Saul Koss, in loving memory of our daughter Miriam on her second Yahrzeit.
* Laurie & Stuart Cohen on the birth of a grandson, Yehudah Noam, to Adena & Justin Cohen of Baltimore.
* Ilana & Ben Eastman on the birth of a daughter, Bayla Yakira.
* Esther & David Hornestay on the engagement of their granddaughter, Ayelet Klammer, of Ramat Beit Shemesh, Israel, daughter of Shari & Rabbi Stuart Klammer, to Benji Kaufman of Efrat, Israel.
* Wendee & Jack Rutner on the appointment of their daughter, Yoetzet Bracha Rutner, to be Head of School at Yeshiva University High School for Girls (Central).
* Chaim Fruchter, founder of the Shabbos afternoon Torah Temimah Shiur, and Shiur members Alan Baldinger, Paul Berner, Josh Breitstein, Irving Haber, Ken Jacobson, Manasseh Katz, Eli Landy, Bernie Muller, Chaim Neustadter, Stuart Rosenthal, Stephen Silbiger and Hillel Weiss on their Siyum of the Torah Temimah.
* Esther Dziadek on the passing of her husband, Dr. Fred Dziadek. The funeral took place in Israel. Shiva is being observed at 909 Annmore Drive through Monday morning. Shacharis Sunday 8:00 AM, Monday 6:45 AM. Mincha/Maariv Sunday 5:05 PM. The family requests visitors Motzei Shabbos 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM and Sunday from Shacharis until 12 Noon, 1:00 PM – 6:00 PM, and 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM.
* Light Candles by 5:09
Ashkenazi: 5:10 Ruach: 5:10 Sephardi: 5:05 Nusach Sefard: 5:10
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:05 Sephardi: 4:50 Nusach Sefard: 5:05
* Shabbos ends: 6:11
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi – Bar Mevorach
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – The Shabbos afternoon Torah Temimah Shiur in honor of their Siyum of the Torah Temimah.
* 9:15 Minyan – anonymously in honor of Simi and Sammy Franco for all of the hard work they do on behalf of the Shul!
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur 9:00 AM, Rabbi's Study.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 4:20 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash, will resume February 9.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by Classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, in the Large Social Hall. Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings, 7:30 PM, in the Small Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah,
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An in-depth analysis
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver in the Large Social Hall. For more information please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: firstname.lastname@example.org or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: email@example.com
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Small Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM, in the Social Hall
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for men and women, "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Gittin on Wednesday evenings, in the Social Hall at 7:50 PM.
YISE Programs and Listings
We welcome new members who were voted in at the last Board meeting: Sarah & Baruch Dollman and Jessica & Dr. Kalman Knizhnik.
Ruach Minyan – This Friday night, January 31, at 5:10 PM sharp. Bring the family and invite your friends. It's going to be Gevaldic! For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Attention 8:45 Minyan Attendees: Our Spirits are Low – Our supply of liquor has been depleted. Thank you to the previous contributors. For those who would like to assist in replenishing the liquor, please send payment to YISE, earmark: 8:45 Minyan L'Chaim Group. Unfortunately, the liquor store does not accept pledges. Suggested donation $80.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, February 3, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. West in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517.
Senior Lunch – Wednesday, February 5, 12 Noon, Social Hall. Dr. Alan Breitler, Great Scientists Series, "Edward Teller: Martian and Father of the Hydrogen Bomb"
GWCK Shabbaton – Next Shabbos! Parshas Beshalach, February 7 – 8 at YISE. An Inspirational Shabbos Connecting through Torah, Tefillah, and Song! See flyer for details.
Dor l'Dor – Come join Dor l'Dor: the Family Chevrusah-style Learning in a fun environment, Motzei Shabbos, February 8, 7:45 PM in the YISE Social Hall. Delicious Pizza! Interactive Discussions! Raffle of Exciting Prizes! To sponsor this program, contact Michael Shimoff at email@example.com
Tech Café – FREE One-on-One Technology Tutoring by Teens, Sunday, February 9, 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM. Sign up at www.yise.org/techcafe See flyer for details.
Camp Shomrai 2020 is open for registration! Programs for campers entering 2-year-old Preschool through 9th grade. Camp Dates: Monday, June 29 -Thursday, August 13. Register online at https://campshomrai.campapplications.com Register before February 1 to save on registration and get a bonus week! For more information contact Sarah Dollman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Shomrai Preschool 2020-2021 – Online registration is now open for children ages 2 to 5 years old with customizable extended care options from 7:30 AM to 6:00 PM. Visit preschool.yise.org or email email@example.com for more information or to schedule a tour. Ask about our special, deeply reduced tuition for incoming 2-year-olds!
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for Groups: 2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth rooms behind the balcony. 1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Tot Shabbat – with Suri Kinzbrunner 10:30 AM – 11:00 AM in the toddler room for ages 2 and under.
Midrash, Manicures and Milkshakes – for women and girls of all ages, Motzei Shabbos, February 1, 7:30 PM – 9:00 PM in the Social Hall. $5 per person, max. $20 per family. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
Community Programs & Listings
Condolences to former YISE member Yitz Stokes on the passing of his mother, Virginia Stokes.
Tzurba M'Rabanan – text-based Halacha Sefer learning group meets every Shabbos. Men's group at 3:00 PM at the home of Moshe & Rose Litwack, 11302 Monticello Ave. Women's group Oneg at 4:15 PM, class at 4:30 PM, at the home of Josh & Mickie Breitstein, 1215 North Belgrade Road. Each class is independent – drop-ins welcome.
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, February 1, 3:00 PM at 1121 University Blvd. West Apt. 516.
Daf Yomi Shiur meets at the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
The Golden Network Caregiver Support Group will meet on Sunday, February 2, from 10:15 AM-11:15 AM at KMS – room F. This group is geared towards Jewish women whose spouses are living at home or are in a medical facility and are affected by a chronic physical illness or a cognitive condition. For more information or to enter KMS for the meeting, please contact Barbara Trainin Blank: email@example.com or (301) 681-2964.
Post High School Girls Shiur – Tuesday night, February 4, 8:30 PM at the Pepper home, 1101 North Belgrade Road.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, February 5, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
Visual Artist? Join the monthly Jewish Women's Creative Makers group. We meet monthly to share works in any and every visual media that were created on a common theme. Any questions, please contact Chava Kern at email@example.com or 410-913-3155 (texts preferred).
Capital Kosher Pantry – In honor of Tu B'Shvat, we'd like to plant this seed in your thoughts: Why not turn over a new leaf and help us restock the Yad Yehuda Capital Kosher Pantry? The Pantry needs all sorts of natural, healthy items on its shelves: Dried fruit, nuts, olives, fruit juices & grain products including cereal
Please place your donations in Yad Yehuda's Capital Kosher Pantry boxes in many area shuls and schools, Shalom Kosher, Moti's Market or at Yad Yehuda House, 1910 University Blvd West. Or order online at yadyehuda.org/pantry to ship directly to the Pantry. Thank you!
The Clothing Exchange – We have a full showroom of children's, women's and men's clothing and coats, offered to the community free of charge. Run by dedicated volunteers, the Clothing Exchange is a place where everyone can feel comfortable shopping and donating new clothing. We're open every Sunday from 9:30 AM – 10:30 AM at the Yad Yehuda House, 1910 University Blvd. West, unless otherwise noted. We accept donations of new or like-new Shabbos or business casual clothing in current styles. We only stock items that are new or in pristine condition, as is befitting members of our community. We are not able to accept baby clothing, toys & stuffed animals, housewares, linens, undergarments or shoes.
Partners in Tefillah matches people with others in need of similar assistance from Hashem. The feedback we have received so far has been amazing. You, too, can Daven for someone else in the community and have them daven for you. May Hashem answer all your prayers. Please visitwww.yadyehuda.org/partners-in-tefillah to learn more and to sign up.
Kollel Dirshu of Silver Spring is studying Maseches Gittin at the YGW. Daily morning shiur given by Rabbi Eli Reingold at 5:45 AM and evening shiur by Ranon Cortell and Pinchas Werner at 9:00 PM. Chavrusah are also available during these learning times. For more information and to join our learning program please contact Hirsh Komarow (301) 681-1646; firstname.lastname@example.org
Dirshu Mishnah Brurah – Learn Chelek Daled with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Learn the Halachos of Eruvin and Techumin. Finish the Chelek in eleven months! Monday through Thursday at the YGW at 8:00 PM. For more information contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 12:30 PM – 1:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services or to volunteer.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday February 2 Monday February 3 Tuesday February 4 Wednesday February 5 Thursday February 6 Friday February 7
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Ashkenazi 5:15 5:15 / 7:30 5:15 / 7:30 5:15 / 7:30 5:15 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 5:10 5:10 5:10 5:10 5:10
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:20 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:45 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:53 PM
February 7 – 8, 2020 – 13 Shevat 5780
Light Candles: Friday by 5:17 – Havdalah: 6:18
* Light Candles by 5:17
Ashkenazi: 5:20 Sephardi: 5:15 Nusach Sefard: 5:20
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:15 Sephardi: 5:00 Nusach Sefard: 5:15
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:18
Friday, January 31 Ruach Minyan, 5:10 PM
Wednesday, February 5 Senior Lunch, 12 Noon
Shabbos, February 7 – 8 GWCK Shabbaton
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 8 Dor L'Dor, 7:45 PM
Sunday, February 9 Tech Café, 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, February 5 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday: 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager