Included in the PDF are the Israel Report, Likutei Torah, Hamaayan and GWCK Shabbos Delights, which are normally available next to the Shabbos Shorts at YISE.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
January 22 – 23, 2021 – 10 Shevat 5781 – Parshas Bo
Light Candles by 5:00 – Havdalah 6:02
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Dalia & Hillel Weiss, who are leaving the community after 50 years to start a new chapter in their lives in Jerusalem. It is with some sadness that they leave what has been their home and community. They want to express their thanks for the love and warmth shown to them. They will miss everyone but leave an open invitation to come visit them.
The Shabbos Shorts is also sponsored by Jodi & David Mazel in loving memory of Jodi's mother, Ellen Bressler Mills, Eta Simcha bas Yaakov, Z"L, to commemorate her fourth Yahrzeit.
* Vivian & Arnie Kirshenbaum on the engagement of their granddaughter, Bailey Garfinkel, to Yaakov Maler of Chicago. Mazal Tov to the Garfinkel, Bokor, Kirshenbaum and Rosenblum families.
* Rena & Yoni Schwarz on the birth of a girl, Avigail Chaya, named after Rena's Bubby.
* Dalia & Hillel Weiss on the birth of their first great-grandson, born to their grandchildren Hadas & Yaacov Gershon of Rechovot, Israel. Mazal Tov to grandparents Sara & Dan Feigelson and the Aunts and Uncles Limor & Zvi Weiss and Daphna & Phil Ross and family.
Limited Minyanim are now taking place at YISE under Montgomery County's Phase 2 guidelines. All Minyanim require advance registration and confirmation. If you are interested in attending Minyanim and have not already registered, please go to https://www.yise.org/minyan If you are registered for a Minyan and are unable to attend at that time, please do not go to a different Minyan. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org Friday Night:
* Light Candles by 5:00
* Mincha: 5:05, 5:00 (Sephardi)
If you Daven Kabbalos Shabbos prior to Shkia (5:18 PM), it is preferable to Daven Mincha prior to Plag (4:15 PM).
* Shacharis: 7:15, 9:00, 9:30, 8:30 (Sephardi)
* Mincha: 2:30, 4:00, 4:00 (Sephardi)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 6:02
* Outdoor Minyan – If you are interested in a Shabbos morning outdoor Minyan without a tent, subject to weather conditions, please email Ari Elias-Bachrach at email@example.com
* Advance registration for Minyanim is required and space is limited. Go to https://www.yise.org/minyan to register. If you have changes to your original registration form, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with details.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary. Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and updated times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Sunday through Friday 8:30 AM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:30 PM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now studying Sefer Yehoshua, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men and Women – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom F.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings at 7:30 PM, Zoom I.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM (except as noted). For more info. contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com 347-869-9361.
* For Men & Women – Zoom C (except as noted):
* Mondays: (for men only) Rabbi H. Shaps, On the Same Page Gemara, Zoom B.
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Grossman – Parshas Hashavua, 9:00 PM
* For Women – Zoom D:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys
* Tuesdays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Bereishis in-Depth
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Hillel Shaps. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps: firstname.lastname@example.org
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM, Zoom E.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "A Second Look-Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", Zoom H.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Gittin on Wednesday evenings, 8:00 PM, Zoom G.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 349 754 2180, password GWCK
Zoom C: ID: 746 455 2195, password GWCK
Zoom D: ID: 601 853 4021, password Winter
Zoom E: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom F: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom G: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
Zoom H: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom I: ID: 269 840 3648, password online Pearls, phone 621690
Camp Shomrai is back for another fun-filled summer with programming for children in preschool through ninth grade! Camp runs from July 5th through August 13th. For more information or to register online, visit our website at https://campshomrai.org
YISE Programs and Listings
Registration for Shomrai Preschool 2021-2022 is now open! We are excited to be offering a Torah-rich, child-centered program for children entering 2 year-old Nursery – 4 year-old Pre-K. School day runs from 8:30 AM – 3:00 PM. Extended care options available from 7:30 AM -8:30 AM and 3:00 PM – 6:00 PM. Register early for maximum savings! Visit our website for tuition rates and online registration at https://preschool.yise.org/registration For more information about the program email Sarah Dollman at email@example.com
UPDATE: Learning to live with COVID-19 – Motzei Shabbos, January 23, 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM on Zoom – Meeting ID: 878 2795 1873, password 699427. Organized by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and YISE. See flyer for details.
Grocery Drive for Holy Cross Hospital – ENDS SUNDAY! YISE is happy to join with the other Shuls in the area in providing much-needed food for Holy Cross Hospital employees in need, and will be making its contributions in the month of January. See the attached flyer or go to https://wp.yise.org/grocery for details on donating through PayPal, or directly with non-perishable items. It is important that we support those hospital employees in their time of need, when they are the ones who often provide for us in our times of need. If you have groceries but are unable to deliver them yourself, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
"Challenges and Opportunities of Raising a Jewish Child in Our Times" with Rabbi Rosenbaum. Presented by YISE Youth on Sunday January 24, at 8:00 PM on Zoom A. For parents of preschool and early elementary school children.
Ask The Rabbi! Come join our virtual, interactive monthly program featuring different Halachos of Shabbos! This month's topic: Borer (selecting) on Shabbos and Yom Tov. How am I supposed to separate the food I want from other foods on Shabbos? Is it really true that borer applies to cleaning up a board game? Tuesday, January 26, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM on Zoom A. Send in your questions related to Borer to: AskTheRabbi@yise.org by Sunday, January 24. For more information or to submit questions by phone, contact Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517 or email@example.com
This month's Shiur is sponsored in commemoration of the 4th Yahrzeit of Dr. George Weiss, Z"L, Gedalya Chaim ben Avraham Moshe, beloved husband, father, and grandfather to Delia Weiss, Miriam, Steve, Matan, Edan, and Merav Friedman, Alan & Shira Weiss and family, and Danny & Liora Greenberg-Weiss and family. To sponsor the Shiur, contact firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
Come Join Rabbi Koss's Monthly Jewish History class – now on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee: Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, February 1, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom A. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com
Purim Shpiel – Sunday, February 21, 8:30 PM. Contact Howie Schulman at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-213-2429. See flyer for details.
Go Social! Want to reconnect with Shul friends you lost touch with these past COVID-19 months? We're missing our Shul buddies as well! YISE's Social Committee wants your energy to help lead new (Zoom interactive, of course) programs. Sahra Ginsburg email@example.com Sharon Shimoff firstname.lastname@example.org and Max Rudmann email@example.com are waiting to hear from you.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this muchneeded medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax-deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or PearlBassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org: Sponsor name, birthday or anniversary date, name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Our current limited ability to Daven with a Minyan and to say Kaddish is difficult and a challenge. However, sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Sunday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Chumash Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The Pre-Shabbos Drasha video is available for sponsorship at $54.
Please email email@example.com to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to this past week's Shiurim sponsors:
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha and Halacha Shiur
* Debbie & Marc Katz in memory of Marc's father, Leib ben Avigdor HaKohen, Z"L, whose Yahrzeit was on Shabbos.
* Bev Morris & Art Boyars in memory of their beloved cousin Frank Jacob "Mikey" Butler, Raphael Michael Yitzchak ben Daniel Eliyahu Halevi V'Nechama Sarah on his 17th Yarhzeit on Gimel Shevat.
* Jacqueline & Rabbi Haim Arzouan L'Ilui Nishmat Rabbi Moshe Arzouan ben Shalom, father of Rabbi Haim Arzouan.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Mussar Shiur
* Susan & Rabbi Saul Koss in loving memory of their daughter Miriam, on her third Yahrzeit.
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray for a Refuah Sheleimah for Rabbi Hyatt and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend the Shiur.
YISE Youth Announcements
Dor L'Dor – Motzei Shabbos, January 30, 7:30 PM. Parsha, pizza, prizes and more – but this year virtual! Register by Friday, January 29, at www.yise.org/dorldor If you have any questions or would like to sponsor, please contact Michael Shimoff at firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
Virtual Challah Braiding – Join Debbie Weinstein for Challah braiding tips and tricks. Ages 8 – 18. Sunday, February 7, 3:30 PM on Zoom A.
Community Programs & Listings
Mazal Tov to former members Yaffa & Rabbi Tzvi Klugerman on the marriage of their son, Hillel, to Chaya Ticker, daughter of Robin & Yaakov Ticker of Brooklyn. Mazal Tov to all of the siblings, aunts, uncles, nephews, and cousins. Mazal Tov to the grandparents, D'vorah & Rabbi Mordechai Weiss. The wedding took place in Hashmonaim, Israel.
The Yad Yehuda Clothing Exchange will be open to all members of the community this Sunday, January 24, 10:00 AM – 12 Noon. We have a lot of coats for all sizes! This is your opportunity to shop, at no cost, for beautiful, modest clothing in our well-equipped showroom. Shoppers must be in good health, not have been in contact with someone who tested positive for Covid, wear masks and maintain social distancing. Please schedule an appointment at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fhBnGaaLIgwaEUT4rDFUwdVKGz1_U9CeOYD-f_A10iY/edit For questions or to schedule an appointment on another day: email@example.com
International Holocaust Remembrance Day – Sunday, January 24, 12 Noon, on Zoom, featuring people who knew the Sanz-Klausenberg Rebbe, Z"L, who lost his wife and all 11 children during the Shoah. Nevertheless, he rebuilt his life and community, brought his followers to Israel and founded the Laniado Hospital in Netanya. To register, go to https://forms.gle/gJUfkD7hJ7AkqWCu7
Spring Forward With Your Gardening Plans – Kemp Mill Village virtual presentation and Q&A session on "jump-starting" your 2021 spring garden. Tuesday, January 26, 4:00 PM – 6:00 PM on Zoom. Registration required by Monday, January 25, at www.kempmillvillage.org
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, January 27, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Outdoor Community Megillah Readings are planned on Purim: Thursday evening, February 25 and Friday, February 26. If you are an experienced Leiner, please contact Saul Singer at Saul.Singer@verizon.net and let him know when you are available.
Yad Yehuda – Unfortunately, many individuals and families across the Greater Washington Jewish community are facing the twin challenges of financial and food insecurity. The scope of this need has grown exponentially during the current COVID-19 crisis. We receive new requests for assistance each week. With the help of Hashem, Yad Yehuda answers these requests through our Emergency Financial Assistance and Tomchei Shabbos Programs and through The Capital Kosher Pantry. Please consider making a contribution by visiting www.yadyehuda.org/donate
Penetrating Thoughts and Practical Perspectives – Thoughts on life, Torah and Middos. Based on Michtav M'Eliyahu, from Rav Eliyahu Dessler, Z"L. Mondays, 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher. Zoom – Meeting ID: 736 4190 7086, Passcode: torah. Presented by YGW Kollel Zichron Amram. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
What Happened at Sinai: An Exploration of the Sinai Revelation and the Ten Commandments – Wednesdays, 8:00 PM on Zoom. Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. Join any time! No cost. Zoom info and registration at linksgw.org/classes
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at email@example.com to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Kemp Mill Village is providing friendly phone calls and limited deliveries during the pandemic. Call 1-833-KMV-20902 to request service or to volunteer. See kempmillvillage.org for more information.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Thursday, January 28 – Tu B'Shevat
Limited Minyanim will take place at YISE next week, advance registration and confirmation required. You are encouraged to Daven at home at the same time as a Minyan at YISE.
Shacharis: Sunday 6:30 AM/7:30 AM/8:45 AM; Monday through Friday 6:30 AM/7:00 AM/8:45 AM. Mincha/Maariv: Sunday – Thursday: 5:15 PM.
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 5:58 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 6:26 AM, Latest Netz: 7:21 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:48 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:52 PM, Earliest Shkia: 5:20 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim: 6:10 PM
January 29 – 30, 2021 – 17 Shevat 5781
Light Candles: 5:08
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, January 27 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com Website: www.yise.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday – 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Simi Franco – Office Manager