Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
January 14 – 15, 2022 – 13 Shevat 5782 – Parshas Beshalach
Light Candles by 4:50 – Havdalah 5:54
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Lois & Sid Meyers to commemorate the Yahrzeit of Lois's father, Dr. Carl H. Resnick (Yekusiel Ben Rav Tzvi, Z"L) and
anonymously in memory of Chazzan David Werdyger, A"H, and in honor of Mordechai Ben David and Avraham Fried for bringing us joyful and meaningful melodies that bring us closer to Hashem.
* David Abrams on the birth of a great-grandson to Hannah & Yonatan Abrams of Yerushalayim.
* Tzivia Bramson on the Bar Mitzvah of her great-grandson, Yaakov Brown, son of Adi & Avromi Brown and grandson of Libby Waidenbaum.
* Berel Dorfman and Michal Dorfman on the marriage of their daughter, Chana, to Yehudah Feinberg of Boca Raton, Florida, and to grandmother, Sylvia Dorfman.
* Berel Dorfman and Michal Dorfman on the birth of a granddaughter to Dini & Moshe Dorfman, and to great-grandmother Sylvia Dorfman.
* Shera & Reuven Gaisin on the birth of a daughter, Tzofia Penina. Mazal Tov to the siblings, grandparents Sheila Gaisin and Marion & Hal Dinitz of Potomac, Uncle Jeremy and the entire extended Gaisin family.
* Lea & Paul Lieberman on the engagement of their grandson, Daniel Brandsdorfer, to Erica Marsel of Orlanda, Florida, daughter of Eve & Dr. Scott Marsel, and to Daniel's parents, Rocky & Mark Brandsdorfer. Mazal Tov to Daniel's siblings, Julia and Jessica.
* Lee & Craig Oppenheim on the birth of a grandson, Ronen Maor, born to Naomi & Rabbi Nathan Fein. Mazal Tov to Ronen Maor's brothers, Nafi, Ami, & Eitam, Grandma Debbie & Sabah Dan Fein, Dod Ari and the entire Fein & Oppenheim family.
* Diana & Leonard Ruchelman on the birth of a great-grandson, Aaron Yeheskel, to their grandchildren Adina & Rabbi Eliyahu Prero of Monsey. Mazal Tov also to grandparents Miriam & Rabbi Elisha Prero and Lauren & Rabbi Zischa Shaps.
Minyan locations are listed as B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall. LBM = Large Beis Medrash, SBM – Small Beis Medrash
* Light Candles by 4:50
* Mincha: 4:50 (B), 4:40 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen Minyan, SBM)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 4:45 (B), 4:40 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 5:54
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Yonatan Gorin
* 9:15 Rabbi Postelnek
* Shiur after Mincha Rabbi Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* 8:45 Minyan Kiddush in a Bag is sponsored by Judy & Stuart Rosenthal, to mark the Yahrzeits of Judy's parents, Robert D. Katzoff (Reuven David Ben Shneur Zalman v'Yetta, Z"L) on 14 Shevat, and Evelyn W. Katzoff (Chava Ruth Bat Tzvi v'Mariam, Z"L) on 19 Shevat.
* The YISE Board has mandated that everyone 16 and older who is medically eligible for an FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 in order to enter the Shul building.
* Masks are required for ALL people in the YISE Arcola building, whether vaccinated or unvaccinated, except for children under the age of 2.
* Given the current surge in COVID cases, we ask that you not remove your mask in Shul for any reason. If you need to remove your mask, please step out of the Shul.
* There are no social distancing requirements in the YISE building. There are no in-person Kiddushes at this time.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday 9:30 AM, Zoom A, will resume on Monday, January 24.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday 7:30 PM, Zoom A, will resume on Tuesday, January 25.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A, will resumeon February 6.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A, will resume on Tuesday, January 25.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Mishlei, Zoom A, will resume on January 26.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A, will resume on January 26.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM, Zoom F.
* Rabbi Hillel Shaps – Unraveling the Navi: Melachim Aleph
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more information, contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same Page Gemara – in person (Social Hall) and on Zoom F.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Reading Responsa – Zoom D.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom H.
* For Women – Zoom I
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys
* Tuesdays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Sefer Bereishis
* SCP (Semichat Chaver Program) – Tuesdays at 8:45 PM. A new semester began on October 19. Join the fastest growing Halacha learning program in the world! Now back in person at YISE. Register at gwckollel.org/scp
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy's Gemara Shiur, Masechet Chulin, Sunday through Friday, 6:35 AM – 7:20 AM, in the Franco Beit Midrash.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurim for men & women, Mondays at 9:00 AM, studying Parashas Hashavua, Zoom B, will not meet on January 17.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", Zoom E.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Bava Kama 7th Perek Merubah. Wednesday evenings, 8:00 PM, Zoom G.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom E: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom F: ID: 349 754 2180, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
Zoom H: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
Zoom I: ID: 601 853 4021, password Winter
YISE Youth Announcements
Shabbos Groups this Shabbos, January 15, from 10:00 AM until Shul ends. Masks required indoors for age 2+. Age 18-36 months (Mommy & me) in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 2-5 years (drop off) in the room behind the balcony. Ages 6-9 years will meet at Shomrai and walk over to the Yeshiva. For more information, contact Talya Miller, YISE Youth groups coordinator, at email@example.com
Dor L'Dor – The Family Chevrusah-style Learning in a fun environment! Next session will take place on Motzei Shabbos, January 29, 7:15 PM in the Social Hall. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to sponsor. See flyer for details.
YISE Programs and Listings
Rabbi Rosenbaum will be on vacation through Sunday, January 23. Individuals with Halachic questions can contact Rabbi Postelnek at 571- 340-0227 or email@example.com Those wanting to contact Rabbi Rosenbaum about pressing matters should contact the Shul office and a staff member will notify Rabbi Rosenbaum.
Membership Directory and Shul Database Updates – If you have not already responded to our request to review the information sent about your phone numbers and email addresses in our Shul database in preparation for an updated Membership Directory, please do so as soon as possible. Please remember to confirm the information and/or send any changes to firstname.lastname@example.org
Book Repair 101 with Roberta Redfern – Video available at https://wp.yise.org/book-repair-101
Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura – A weekly Chabura in the Nesivos Shalom on the Parsha. Delve into the deeper dimensions of the Parsha and Holidays by learning the Nesivos Shalom's weekly insights. Begins at 8:55 AM Shabbos mornings in the Social Hall. This week's Shiur will be given by Rabbi Postelnek.
Kashrus in the Kitchen – Learn the background and practical laws of Kashrus. Tuesdays, 8:15 PM – 9:00 PM, at the home of David & Tamara Goodman: 11611 Kemp Mill Road. Masks optional. Given by Rabbi Postelnek. For questions or to join the WhatsApp group, contact Rabbi Postelnek at 571-340-0227 or email@example.com Recordings available at https://wp.yise.org/kashrus-kitchen
Silver Spring Women's Nach Yomi Siyum – Sunday, January 16. The Siyum is co-sponsored by YISE, KMS, Ohr Hatorah, SEHC and WSAT. The program features dynamic women of the Silver Spring community and interactive, fun components. Join your friends and neighbors at the virtual event. 11:15 AM – Login to Zoom, 11:30 AM – Program, 1:00 PM – Livestream to NY Siyum. All confirmed registrants will receive the links to the Silver Spring Siyum and the New York Siyum. RSVP at https://nachyomisiyum.rsvpify.com We look forward to celebrating with you at this virtual event.
Ask the Rabbi: Positive Mitzvos of Shabbos and Havdalah – Tuesday, January 25, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM on Zoom A. Send in your questions about positive Mitzvos of Shabbos and Havdalah to AskTheRabbi@yise.org by Sunday, January 23. For more information and to submit questions by phone or anonymously, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
Trivia Night – Saturday night, February 2, 8:30 PM in the Social Hall. $8 per person. RSVP at https://wp.yise.org/trivia See flyer for details.
Come Join Rabbi Koss's Monthly Jewish History class on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee: Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, February 7, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom A. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com
Kiddush in a Bag! While we are not yet back to regular in-Shul Kiddushes, we are happy to now offer Kiddush in a Bag for the 8:45 Minyan. To sponsor the Kiddush in a Bag, contact Simi Franco at firstname.lastname@example.org
Volunteers Are Needed Weekly to help assemble Kiddush in a Bag. If you can help please contact Simi Franco at email@example.com or 301-593-4465 x403.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact:Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this much-needed medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax-deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Monday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The 8:45 and 9:15 Shabbos Drashas are both available for sponsorship at $54 each.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to the Shiurim sponsors for this Past Week:
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in honor of a Refuah Sheleimah to Rabbi Hyatt and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha/Halacha Shiur
* Rochelle Dimont and family in memory of Chayim Dimont, Chayim Ben HaRav Avraham Mordechai, Z"L.
* Debbie Rogal in memory of her cousin Judy Licht, on the occasion of her Yahrzeit on 16 Shevat.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Nach Shiur
* Debbie Rogal in memory of her cousin Judy Licht, on the occasion of her Yahrzeit on 16 Shevat.
* Diana & Leonard Ruchelman on the birth of a great-grandson, Aaron Yeheskel, to their grandchildren, Adina & Rabbi Eliyahu Prero of Monsey. The grandparents are Rabbi Elisha & Miriam Prero and Rabbi Zischa & Lauren Shaps.
8:45 Minyan Drasha
* Judy and Stuart Rosenthal, to mark the Yahrzeits of Judy's parents, Robert D. Katzoff (Reuven David Ben Shneur Zalman v'Yetta, Z"L) on 14 Shevat, and Evelyn W. Katzoff (Chava Ruth Bat Tzvi v'Mariam, Z"L) on 19 Shevat.
* Sara Silver in memory of her father, Bud Silver, Yissocher Dov Ben Meir, Z"L, on his upcoming 8th Yahrzeit on 17 Shevat.
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to email@example.com: Sponsor name, birthday or anniversary date, name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
Community Programs & Listings
Condolences to Rav Chaim Herzel Kranz on the passing of his wife, Rebbetzin Miriam Tzivya Kranz, A"H. Shiva at the Kranz home, Shacharis 6:30 AM Sunday/Monday/Tuesday, Mincha/Maariv 4:50 PM Sunday/Monday. Visitors Sunday/Monday 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM, 3:00 PM – 8:00 PM.
Appreciating What's New – Birchas Shechiyanu – Federal Holiday Learning Program by the Kollel Zichron Amram. Monday, January 17 in the YGW Boys Campus Foxman Beis Medrash and on Zoom Meeting ID 852 4252 2493 Passcode 1216613. 9:35 AM – 10:35 AM Shiur by Rabbi Yonah Katz, Chaver Kollel. For questions, please contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate firstname.lastname@example.org or 240-858-2041.
Tu B'Shvat Food Drive – Please donate Tu B'Shvat foods to the Capital Kosher Pantry's annual food drive. We'd greatly appreciate donations of dried fruits, nuts, fruit juice, olives, breakfast cereal and other grains. All items should be factory sealed, well within the use-by date, and certified kosher. Deliver or ship to: Capital Kosher Pantry, 1910 University Blvd W, Silver Spring, MD 20902.
Hidden Miracle: Behind the Scenes in the Book of Esther – New LINKS series with Rabbi Hillel Shaps, Wednesday nights at 8:00 PM, January 19 – March 9 on Zoom F. Register at https://linksgw.org/classes
Women's Online Shiur with Rabbi Yehoshua Levy- Free 1-hour shiur on Zoom on the first and third Sundays of each month at 7:15 PM. Topic: Eishet Hayil, with principles from Mesilat Yesharim and weekly Sidra. In English. All levels of ability are welcome. You needn't attend every Shiur, but RSVPs are requested. Contact Shiur Coordinator at email@example.com for details.
YGW Kollel Zichron Amram Machshava – Probing Jewish Thought Through the Works of Rav Yitzchak Hutner, ZT"L, with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold, Rosh Kollel, Sundays at 8:00 PM on Zoom, Meeting ID: 825 0731 6850, Passcode: 1216613. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
Dirshu- Please join Dirshu as it began Bava Metzia on December 20. Shiur options at YGW: Monday – Friday, 5:45 AM (R. Reingold) or Monday – Thursday, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM (R. Cortell/R. Werner). About 2.5 Daf covered each week.
Join the Mikvah Emunah Society – MES asks for assistance twice a year – once through an event, and then through membership fees. Membership, only $30 per month, includes user fees and provides educational opportunities, but most importantly keeps our community strong and thriving. The MES urges all who live in our community to join by becoming a member. Visit http://www.mikvahemunah.com/membership to show your support.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, January 19, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
New Year – New Volunteers – BCGW is growing and looking for more volunteers. If you have an interest in volunteering your time to help patients and their loved ones, we need you! BCGW provides professional volunteer training and ongoing support. Please visit our website www.bikurcholimgw.org and go to the volunteer tab to sign up.
Parsha Explorations with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Presented by the Greater Washington Community Kollel and Kemp Mill Synagogue, Sunday evenings, 7:30 PM at KMS and on Zoom, Meeting ID: 655 813 1022, Passcode: 365636. For men and women.
TGN Program: Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Birkat Hamazon with Mrs. Esther Dziadek, Wednesday mornings, 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM, on Zoom B. For more information call 301-732-1773 or email email@example.com
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments, shopping, etc. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. COVID-19 precautions are followed for the health of drivers and riders. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more info.
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? IZUN is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Go to https://getizun.org or email us at email@example.com
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online weekdays via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM Shabbos in-person at 7:30 AM in the YISE Social Hall.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Monday, January 17 – Tu B'Shevat/MLK Jr. Day
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 6:01 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 6:29 AM, Latest Netz: 7:26 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:51 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:50 PM, Earliest Shkia: 5:11 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim: 6:01 PM
January 21 – 22, 2022 – 20 Shevat 5782
* Light Candles by 4:58
* Mincha: 5:00 (B), 4:50 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 4:55 (B), 4:50 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 6:01
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, January 19 at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Thursday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Friday: 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager