Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
February 7 – 8, 2020 – 13 Shevat 5780 – Parshas Beshalach
Light Candles by 5:17 – Havdalah 6:18
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Jodi & David Mazel in loving memory of Jodi's mother, Ellen Bressler Mills, Eta Simcha bas Yaakov, A"H, to commemorate her third Yahrzeit.
* Lynn, Stephen and Daniel Deutsch on the engagement of their son and brother Dovid to Amanda Komsky, daughter of Sheila & Larry Komsky of Woodmere, NY.
* Vivian & Arnie Kirshenbaum on the birth of a granddaughter, Tovah Gittel, to Shira & Dani Berliant of Baltimore.
* Rabbi Hal Axelrod on the passing of his brother, Rabbi Hendel Axelrod. The funeral took place on Monday in New York. Rabbi Axelrod is observing Shiva at 914 South Belgrade Road through Monday morning. Shacharis Sunday 8:00 AM, Monday 7:00 AM. Mincha/Maariv Sunday 5:15 PM. The family requests visitors only from Shacharis until 12 Noon and from 2:30 PM to 6:30 PM.
* Joel Becker and Linda Zurndorfer on the passing of their sister, Annette Wolk. The funeral took place on Sunday in Dallas.
* Light Candles by 5:17
Ashkenazi: 5:20 Sephardi: 5:15 Nusach Sefard: 5:20
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:15 Sephardi: 5:00 Nusach Sefard: 5:15
* Shabbos ends: 6:18
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Menachem Winter
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi – Liora & Micha Dahan
* 8:00 Minyan – Marion & Fred Miller on the 15th Yahrzeit of Fred's father, Michael Miller, Michayel Shlomo ben Hirsh.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Alan and Fran Broder to commemorate the Yahrzeit of Fran's father, Bernard Creeger, A"H, and in honor of the Greater Washington Community Kollel.
* 9:15 Minyan – in honor of the engagement of Lucas Druskin and Malya Levin by some of their many friends and fans. May they be Zoche to build a Bayis Ne'eman B'yisroel and always keep growing together!
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur 9:00 AM, Rabbi's Study.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 4:30 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Shiur after Mincha.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by Classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, in the Large Social Hall. Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings, 7:30 PM, in the Small Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah,
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An indepth analysis
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver in the Large Social Hall. For more information please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: firstname.lastname@example.org or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: email@example.com
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Small Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM, in the Social Hall.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for men and women, "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Gittin on Wednesday evenings, in the Social Hall at 7:50 PM.
YISE Programs and Listings
Dor l'Dor – Come join Dor l'Dor: the Family Chevrusah-style Learning in a fun environment, Motzei Shabbos, February 8, 7:45 PM in the YISE Social Hall. This Dor l'Dor is sponsored by Chava and Rafi Cohen. Delicious Pizza! Interactive Discussions! Raffle of Exciting Prizes! To sponsor this program, contact Michael Shimoff at firstname.lastname@example.org
Tech Cafe – FREE One-on-One Technology Tutoring by Teens, Sunday, February 9, 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM. Sign up at www.yise.org/techcafe See flyer for details.
Shomrai Play Baby and Me! – Children 3 and under and their grown-ups are invited to sing, learn, sign, and play at Shomrai Preschool with Morah Suri (and our baby chicks!). Wednesdays in February (2/12, 2/19, 2/26) from 12 Noon – 12:45 PM at Shomrai
Preschool, 811 University Blvd. W. Cost: For more information and to RSVP please email email@example.com See flyer for details. "The Mitzvah of Emunah: What do I have to believe?" – A special lecture by Rabbi Moshe Walter. Presented by GWCK. For men and women. Sunday, February 16, 9:30 AM. See flyer for details.
Attention 8:45 Minyan Attendees: Our Spirits are Low – Our supply of liquor has been depleted. Thank you to the previous contributors. For those who would like to assist in replenishing the liquor, please send payment to YISE, earmark: 8:45 Minyan L'Chaim Group. Unfortunately, the liquor store does not accept pledges. Suggested donation $80.
Chevra Kadisha Community Dinner – The Men's and Women's Chevra Kadisha of Greater Washington invites the entire community to the Zayin Adar dinner on Monday, March 2, at YISE.The cost is $18.00 per person for the catered dinner. For more information and to make reservations, go to www.chevrakadishagw.org/zayin-adar.html
Infant & Child CPR Class – Sunday, March 22, 12 Noon at YISE. This is a full certification class, administered by a trainer from NOVA Cert, LLC. If there is enough interest from teenagers, there will be a concurrent babysitting preparation class, including CPR certification and special training for new babysitters. This class will be infant & child CPR only – no adult CPR will be taught.
The (subsidized) cost for the class is $35 per person. Payment may be made by cash, credit card, check, or PayPal. Estimated time is between 3 and 3.5 hours (slightly longer for the babysitting preparation class). Please sign up in advance by emailing LCypess@gmail.com Please specify if you are interested in babysitting preparation.
Camp Shomrai 2020 is open for registration! Programs for campers entering 2-year-old Preschool through 9th grade. Camp Dates: Monday, June 29 -Thursday, August 13. Register online at https://campshomrai.campapplications.com For more information contact Sarah Dollman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Shomrai Preschool 2020-2021 – Online registration is now open for children ages 2 to 5 years old with customizable extended care options from 7:30 AM to 6:00 PM. Visit preschool.yise.org or email email@example.com for more information or to schedule a tour. Ask about our special, deeply reduced tuition for incoming 2-year-olds!
What to Do When a Family Member Dies: A Practical and Halachic Guide – The document linked below was prepared for members of YISE, by Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum and Hedy Peyser, MSW, as a practical and halachic guide to deal with the death of a family member. It will hopefully answer time-sensitive questions that may arise immediately following the loss of a family member. Please feel free to contact Rabbi Rosenbaum with any specific questions.
Additionally, it would be very worthwhile to consult an attorney and or an accountant for practical advice regarding legal and financial matters before and after the death of a family member. This document will not be providing legal or financial advice. To download the document, go to wp.yise.org/community-resources/death/
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, qc/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Carlini Pure Olive Oil sold at Aldi has changed suppliers, and no longer bears an OU. (This contains refined olive oil, which definitely requires Kashrus certification.)
Carlini Extra Virgin Olive Oil in glass bottles still bears an OU in some areas, but in some other areas does not. Consumers should check each package for the kosher symbol.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for Groups: 2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth rooms behind the balcony. 1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Tot Shabbat – with Suri Kinzbrunner 10:30 AM – 11:00 AM in the toddler room for ages 2 and under.
Community Programs & Listings
Condolences to Leah Lipman Zeiger on the passing of her mother, Ethel Kleinman, and to Miri Gottlieb, Dov Lipman, Suri Schwartz, and Shani Majeski on the passing of their grandmother. The funeral took place on Monday in Israel.
Tzurba M'Rabanan – text-based Halacha Sefer learning group meets every Shabbos. Men's group at 3:00 PM at the home of Moshe & Rose Litwack, 11302 Monticello Ave. Women's group Oneg at 4:15 PM, class at 4:30 PM, at the home of Josh & Mickie Breitstein, 1215 North Belgrade Road. Each class is independent – drop-ins welcome.
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, February 8, 3:00 PM at 1121 University Blvd. West Apt. 516.
Post High School Girls Shiur – Tuesday night, February11, 8:30 PM at the Pepper home, 1101 North Belgrade Road. This week the Shiur will be given by Mrs. Ruchel Green.
Daf Yomi Shiur meets at the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Libel, Slander & Defamation in the Internet Age – Rockville Lunch & Learn, Wednesday, February 12, 12:30 PM – 1:30 PM. Presented by Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman. Complimentary lunch will be served. BECO Building West, Bet Medrash, 2nd Floor, 5410 Edson Lane, Rockville, MD. Parking available in BECO Lot. There is no cost for the lecture and lunch. RSVP required to firstname.lastname@example.org
Kemp Mill Toastmasters Spring Contest – Wednesday, February 12, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. Come see members compete in the International Speech Contest. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more info.
"Throwing the Dice: Is one allowed to play games of chance?" – Shiur by Rabbi Moshe Holzer, Chaver Kollel, at YGW Boys Campus. The Federal Holiday Learning Program for men and women, Presidents Day, Monday, February 17, 9:30 AM – 10:30 AM. Light refreshments will be served. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate 404-273-3392 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Kollel Zichron Amram Semi-Annual Yom Iyun – Join our local community Rabbis and the Kollel for an unparalleled Torah experience! Torah & the Environment – The Halachos of Recycling and Conservation. 8:00 AM – Davening 8:50 AM breakfast, 9:40 AM introduction, "The Torah's Philosophy of Conservation" – Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky, Rosh Hayeshiva, 9:55 AM learning Seder, 11:50 AM – 12:30 PM, Shiur – Rabbi Eli Reingold – Rosh Kollel. To RSVP or for more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate 404-273-3392 or email@example.com
YGW Girls Division Annual Production for Women & Girls – "EXTRAordinary", February 23 & 24 at Berman, 13300 Arctic Avenue, Rockville, MD. Sunday Performance – Doors open 2:30 PM, show begins 3:00 PM. Monday Performance – Doors open 6:30 PM, show begins 7:00 PM. Pizza, drinks, and "nosh" will be available for sale during intermission. Advance ticket sales, ads for the Playbill, and Performance DVDs at www.yeshiva.edu Order NOW! For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-962-5111 ext. 1407.
Visual Artist? Join the monthly Jewish Women's Creative Makers group. We meet monthly to share works in any and every visual media that were created on a common theme. Any questions, please contact Chava Kern at email@example.com or 410-913-3155 (texts preferred).
Capital Kosher Pantry – In honor of Tu B'Shvat, we'd like to plant this seed in your thoughts: Why not turn over a new leaf and help us restock the Yad Yehuda Capital Kosher Pantry? The Pantry needs all sorts of natural, healthy items on its shelves: Dried fruit, nuts, olives, fruit juices & grain products including cereal Please place your donations in Yad Yehuda's Capital Kosher Pantry boxes in many area shuls and schools, Shalom Kosher, Moti's Market or at Yad Yehuda House, 1910 University Blvd West. Or order online at yadyehuda.org/pantry to ship directly to the Pantry. Thank you!
The Clothing Exchange – We have a full showroom of children's, women's and men's clothing and coats, offered to the community free of charge. Run by dedicated volunteers, the Clothing Exchange is a place where everyone can feel comfortable shopping and donating new clothing. We're open every Sunday from 9:30 AM – 10:30 AM at the Yad Yehuda House, 1910 University Blvd. West, unless otherwise noted. We accept donations of new or like-new Shabbos or business casual clothing in current styles. We only stock items that are new or in pristine condition, as is befitting members of our community. We are not able to accept baby clothing, toys & stuffed animals, housewares, linens, undergarments or shoes.
BCGW Annual Purim Card Fundraiser – Donate $35 and receive a pack of 10 beautiful cards to send to your friends and family. You also know that you supported the full embrace of the Jewish community for people facing medical challenges. Every dollar is needed and counts. To order cards or learn more about BCGW go to www.bikurcholimgw.org call 202 331-4481 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Kollel Dirshu of Silver Spring is studying Maseches Gittin at the YGW. Daily morning shiur given by Rabbi Eli Reingold at 5:45 AM and evening shiur by Ranon Cortell and Pinchas Werner at 9:00 PM. Chavrusah are also available during these learning times. For more information and to join our learning program please contact Hirsh Komarow (301) 681-1646; email@example.com
Dirshu Mishnah Brurah – Learn Chelek Daled with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Learn the Halachos of Eruvin and Techumin. Finish the Chelek in eleven months! Monday through Thursday at the YGW at 8:00 PM. For more information contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up." Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 12:30 PM – 1:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services or to volunteer.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday February 9 Monday, Feb. 10 – Tu B'Shevat Tuesday February 11 Wednesday February 12 Thursday February 13 Friday February 14
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Ashkenazi 5:25 5:25 / 7:30 5:25 / 7:30 5:25 / 7:30 5:25 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 5:20 5:20 5:20 5:20 5:20
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:14 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:41 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:53 PM
February 14 – 15, 2020 – 20 Shevat 5780
Light Candles: Friday by 5:25 – Havdalah: 6:26
* Light Candles by 5:25
Ashkenazi: 5:25 Sephardi: 5:20 Nusach Sefard: 5:25
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:20 Sephardi: 5:05 Nusach Sefard: 5:20
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:26
Shabbos, February 7 – 8 GWCK Shabbaton
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 8 Dor L'Dor, 7:45 PM
Sunday, February 9 Tech Café, 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, February 12 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday: 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager