Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
February 3 – 4, 2023 – 13 Shevat 5783 – Parshas Beshalach
Light Candles by 5:13 – Havdalah 6:14
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored by Jodi & David Mazel and Family in loving memory of Jodi's mother, Ellen Bressler Mills, Eta Simcha Bas Yaakov, Z"L, to commemorate her 6th Yahrzeit on 14 Shevat and by
Sara Silver to commemorate the Yahrzeit of her father, Bud Silver, Yissocher Dov Ben Meir.
* Esther & Alan Baldinger, Ahuva Engel, and Chaim Engel on the birth of a granddaughter, Malka Chana, born to Alix & Joshua Baldinger.
* Elle & Alex Nizhnikov on the Bar Mitzvah of their son, Adam. Mazal Tov to Adam's siblings, Yochanan, Lily, Akiva and Oran. Mazal Tov to grandparents Gail & Steven Munz and Galina & Alex Belfor and to all of Adam's aunts, uncles, cousins, and family friends who have come from near and far to share this Simcha.
* Shaine Spolter upon the birth of twin great-grandsons born to Basya & Yehudah Raczkowski of Lakewood. Yehudah is the son of Sarah and the late Baruch Raczkowski of Baltimore. Mazal Tov to great aunt & uncle Debby & Barry Greengart.
* Ranee Lewison on the passing of her mother, Marcia Lewison. Shiva is being observed through Monday morning at 15 Leeb Yafeh St. in Arnona, Jerusalem. Ranee can be reached on Whatsapp at 240-535-0656 or by phone at 050-863-0253.
Minyan locations are B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall, LBM = Large Beis Medrash, SBM = Small Beis Medrash, H = The House
* Light Candles by 5:13
* Mincha: 5:15 (B), 5:10 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM, 9:15 (Teen, H)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 4:55 (B), 4:50 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends: 6:14
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 9:15 Minyan Rabbi Postelnek
* Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura Rabbi Postelnek
* The Hashkamah Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by the Hashkamah Minyan Group.
* The Shul Kiddush is sponsored by the Nizhnikov Family on the occasion of Adam becoming a Bar Mitzvah.
* The Shalosh Seudos is sponsored by the Daf Yomi Shiur.
* People experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 or other transmissible illnesses should not attend prayer, learning, social or other events at the Shul.
* If you have tested positive for COVID-19, please follow CDC guidelines before returning to Shul.
YISE Youth Announcements
Teen Minyan – The Teen Minyan, led by Rabbi Moshe Holzer, meets at 9:15 AM every Shabbos in The House next to the Shul. Kiddush is served after Davening.
Shabbos Groups this Shabbos, February 4, from 10:00 AM until Shul ends. Age 18-36 months (Mommy & me) in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 2-5 years (drop off) in the room behind the balcony. Ages 6-9 years will meet at Shomrai and walk to the Yeshiva. For moreinformation, contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com
Shabbos Group for 5th and 6th Grade Girls will meet inside The House promptly at 10:00 AM.
Junior Congregation for boys in grades 4 – 6 with Jay Marcus. Meet in the Lower Lobby at 9:55 and walk to the Yeshiva at 10:00.
Dor L'Dor – The Family Chevrusah-style Learning in a fun environment! The next session will take place Motzei Shabbos, February 11, 7:45 PM in the Social Hall. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to sponsor. See flyer for details.
Save the Date! Purimfest 2023 at YISE! Sunday March 5 at 1:00 PM. We will have a chesed project, a show by Mad Science, and delicious Hamentaschen will be served! See flyer for details.
Bat Mitzvah Club for 6th grade girls. Pizza Melaveh Malka on Motzei Shabbos, February 18, 8:30 PM – 10:00 PM at The House. $10 per person. RSVP to email@example.com See flyer for details.
YISE Programs and Listings
Welcome new member voted in at the latest board meeting: David Hartman
Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura – A weekly Chabura on the Parsha, now learning the Kedushas Levi. Delve into the deeper dimensions of the Parsha and Holidays by learning the Kedushas Levi's weekly insights. Begins at 8:55 AM Shabbos morning. This week's Shiur will be led by Rabbi Postelnek.
Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur – Following the Hashkamah Minyan, learning Maseches Sanhedrin, in the Small Beis Medrash. This week's Shiur will be led by Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
GWCK Shabbos of Inspiration at YISE, Shabbos Parshas Yisro, February 10 – 11. Inspiring Tefillos and Zemiros by special guest Simcha Leiner. RSVP now for a delicious Friday night dinner at www.thegreaterwashingtoncommunitykollel.com/shabbaton Dinner will be followed by a Ruachfilled Oneg Shabbos open to all. Divrei Torah and lectures presented by GWCK scholars. For more info., please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
Practical Prayer for a Busy Life: A two-part series for women given by Rabbi Postelnek. Tuesday nights, February 14 and 28, at 8:15 PM, at the home of Blima & Alex Maged, 812 Kersey Road. See flyer for details.
Save the Date for the 2023 YISE Gala Banquet – Sunday, February 26. Honoring Stuart & Judy Rosenthal, Josh & Sara Katz, and the 2023 high school graduating seniors who have served our congregation's youth. RSVP at www.yise.org/banquet See flyer for details.
Rabbi Menachem Bombach, the Rosh Yeshiva and CEO of Netzach Yisrael, will speak on Sunday, February 12, at 11:00 AM in the Social Hall. See flyer for details.
Chevra Kadisha Community Dinner – The Men's and Women's Chevra Kadisha of Greater Washington invites the entire community to the Zayin Adar dinner on Monday, February 27, recognizing the work of the Chevra. Cost is $18 per person for the catered dinner. For more information and to make reservations, go to: https://www.chevrakadishagw.org/zayin-adar
Come Join Rabbi Koss's Monthly Jewish History class on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington Senior Social Club and the YISE Chesed Committee present a speciaal online Tu B'Shevat Program. Monday, February 6 from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom, Meeting ID: 610 8897 409. There will be Divrei Torah about the holiday, plus music and an online collaborative creation. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com
Purim Night at YISE – Monday, March 6, Maariv/Megilla at 6:35 PM will be followed by a Break-Fast Dinner (dairy) and Purim Mesiba in the Social Hall. DJ, crafts, drinks, photo booth and more! To sponsor, go to www.yise.org/purimsponsor or email firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
Coat Room Cleanup – If you left anything in the coat room (coats, Seforim, Taleisim, etc.), please claim the item by the end of February 2023. All remaining items will be donated or disposed of.
Monthly Shalosh Seudos – First Shabbos of each month. To sponsor, contact Simi Franco at 301-593-4465, ext. 103, or email@example.com Volunteers are needed to set up and clean up. Contact Ethan Cohen at firstname.lastname@example.org to be part of the rotation. See flyer for details.
Shaimos – YISE is not accepting Shaimos for burial until further notice.
Kiddush Volunteers Needed from ALL Minyanim to help set up and clean up for Kiddushes on Shabbos morning. Times vary. Let us know when you are available. Contact Barbara Price at 301-332-8181.
Online YISE Cholim List – Go to https://wp.yise.org/cholim to add a name to the list. The list is used at the 8:45 Minyan on Monday, Thursday, and Shabbos. For questions about Mi Sheberach guidelines, contact Rabbi Rosenbaum. For other questions, contact Seth Katz at email@example.com
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, a part of YISE's Chesed Committee, provides assistance to families undergoing medical crises. For information, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at https://audio.yise.org
Thank you to the Shiurim Sponsors for this Past Week:
Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in honor of Rabbi Grossman and all those who attend his Shiur.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Mussar Shiur
* Tenise & Joel Becker for the Aliyas Nashama of Joel's sister, Chana Bayla Bas Yehoshua whose Yahrzeit was on 7 Shevat.
* Debi & Max Rudmann in commemoration of the Yahrzeit of Dr. Miriam Guttman, daughter of Rabbi Saul & Mrs. Susan Koss, on 5 Shevat.
8:45 Minyan Drasha
* Simi & Sammy Franco and Sahra & Yale Ginsburg in honor of Rabbi Postelnek's upcoming birthday.
9:15 Minyan Drasha
* Simi & Sammy Franco and Sahra &Yale Ginsburg in honor of Rabbi Postelnek's upcoming birthday.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
YISE continues to offer a number of different in-person and virtual learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Monday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
* Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur, Shabbos Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The 8:45 and 9:15 Shabbos Drashas are both available for sponsorship at $54 each.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Options for in-person and remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday, 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:30 PM, Zoom A, will not take place on Sunday, February 5.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Mishlei, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM breakfast, 9:45 AM. Shiurim:
* Illuminating Inquiries in Halacha – Rabbi Yitzchak Mandel
* Judaism 102: Fundamentals for the Experienced Jew – Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Navigating Navi: Sefer Yehoshua – Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Parsha Perspectives: An Exploration of Engaging Parsha Topics – Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info., contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same Page Gemara.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Reading Responsa – Zoom E.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom F.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys – Zoom D.
* SCP (Semichas Chaver Program) – Tuesdays at 8:45 PM at YISE. Join the fastest growing Halacha learning program in the world! Register online at https://thegreaterwashingtoncommunitykollel.com/scp
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy's Gemara Shiur, Masechet Chulin, Sunday through Friday, 6:35 AM – 7:22 AM, in the Franco Beit Midrash.
* Chavrusa Learning – Monday nights in the Social Hall, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM. For more information, contact Rabbi Levy at 240-423-8810.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurim for men & women, Mondays at 8:45 AM, studying Parashas Hashavua, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", in-person in the Small Beis Medrash and on Zoom G.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Bava Metzia, Daf 3a. Wednesday evenings at 8:00 PM on Zoom H.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 or 929-205-6099 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 833 3477 1595, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 601 853 4021, passcode Winter (phone 667362)
Zoom E: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom F: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom H: ID: 849 3898 4989, passcode 161699
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org: Sponsor name, birthday or anniversary date, name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
Community Programs & Listings
Kidney Donation Needed – Mr. Gerry Segelman, father of Micah Segelman, is in need of a kidney transplant. If you would consider being a kidney donor, please contact Rabbi Chaim Steinmetz at Renewal for more information at email@example.com or 718-431-9831 ext 209.
The Chevra Kadisha of Greater Washington is comprised of volunteers with representation from all the Orthodox communities in the Greater Washington area. In a typical year, we perform more than 400 Taharot under the Halachic guidance of the Vaad of Greater Washington. Our volunteer roster has been significantly depleted due to age, Aliyah, and at-risk health situations of many volunteers. Consequently, we need your help. Additional volunteers are needed to replenish the ranks of our team so that we can continue to provide Taharot to the Greater Washington Jewish community. To join the Men's Chevra, call Dean Grayson at (301) 908-2645. To join the Women's Chevra, call Devorah Grayson at (202) 438-7060. You may also visit our website at: www.chevrakadishagw.org and select the "Join the Chevra Kadisha" option.
Israeli Folk Dancing for Women – Wednesdays, starting February 8, at KMS. Beginners – 7:45 PM – 8:45 PM, Advanced Beginners/Intermediate – 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM. Fee: $5. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Support Yad Yehuda – The need for assistance is great right now and Yad Yehuda needs your help to meet its commitments to our friends and neighbors in need. Please count the money in your Tzedakah box and donate that amount, or any amount, online at www.yadyehuda.org/donate or by check: Yad Yehuda, 812 Hyde Court, Silver Spring, MD 20902. Your tax-deductible contribution is deeply appreciated.
Rays of Wisdom – Life Lessons From Pirkei Avos – Greater Washington Community Kollel invites women of the community to a weekday morning text-based Chaburah led by Mrs. Channah Cohen. Mondays at 9:30 AM in Kemp Mill. To be added to a list for information and weekly location, email email@example.com or call 773-219-5397.
Please help our community complete these Siyumim:
* Mishnayos for the 1st Yahrzeit of Noah Roitman, Noach Ben Shalom Yaakov, January 4, 23 Tevet -https://www.lzechernishmas.com/signup.php?id=11081
* Mishnayos for the 1st Yahrzeit of Natalie Gabai, Nechama Naomi Bat Leib, December 21, 9 Tevet – https://www.lzechernishmas.com/signup.php?id=11044
* Mishnayos for the 1st Yahrzeit of Jerry Snyder, Yehoshua Ben Binyamin, December 21, 9 Tevet – https://hadranalach.com/2612
* Tanach for the 1st Yahrzeit of Marion Baras, Miriam Bas Menachem, January 1, 20 Tevet – http://hadranalach.com/2626
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, February 8, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Alshich on the Parsha with Rabbi Levy – Shabbat afternoon between Mincha and Maariv in the Franco Beit Midrash. Zoom Shiurim with Rabbi Levy – Monday through Friday on Zoom, Meeting ID: 636 563 5989. Alshich – 9:20 AM – 10:15 AM. Gemara Ribit 10:15 AM – 11:30 AM. Hilchot Lashon Hara 12:45 PM – 1:45 PM.
In G-d We Trust – Exploring the relationship and balance between Relying on G-d/Bitachon & Human Endeavor/Hishtadlus, based on the teachings of 11th century scholar, Rabbeinu Bachya's Treatise on Trust – Shaar Habitachon. Wednesdays, 12:15 PM – 1:00 PM on Zoom, Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. To register, visit https://linksgw.org/classes
YGW Kollel Zichron Amram Machshava – Probing Jewish Thought Through the Works of Rav Yitzchak Hutner, ZT"L, with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold, Rosh Kollel, Sundays at 8:00 PM on Zoom, Meeting ID: 825 0731 6850, Passcode: 1216613. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
Dirshu – Please join Dirshu, currently learning Bava Metzia. Shiur options at YGW: Monday – Friday, 5:45 AM (R. Reingold) or Monday – Thursday, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM (R. Cortell/R. Werner), about 2.5 Daf covered each week.
TGN Program: Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Siddur with Mrs. Esther Dziadek, Wednesday mornings, 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM, on Zoom B. For more information call 301-732-1773 or email email@example.com
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? IZUN is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Go to https://getizun.org or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online weekdays via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at email@example.com to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM. Shabbos in-person, 7:30 AM in the YISE Social Hall.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Monday, February 6 – Tu B'Shevat
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 5:49 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 6:17 AM, Latest Netz: 7:12 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:43 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:53 PM, Earliest Shkia: 5:33 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim 6:22 PM
February 10 – 11, 2023 – 20 Shevat 5783
* Light Candles by 5:21
* Mincha: 5:25 (B), 5:20 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen, H)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:05 (B), 5:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 6:22
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, February 8, at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 Email: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM,
Friday: 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager