Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
October 25 – 26, 2019 – 27 Tishrei 5780 – Parshas Bereshis/Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 5:58 – Havdalah 6:56
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Bev Morris in honor of Raph Ginsburg and in appreciation of his years of dedication to YISE.
* Sandy & Rabbi Hal Axelrod on the birth of their first greatgrandchild, a great-granddaughter born to Shanee & Shahar Agayev of Petach Tikvah. Mazal Tov to grandparents Etkah & Danny Moore of Petach Tikvah.
* Laurie & Stuart Cohen on the birth of a grandson, Yosaif, to Chava and Yitzchok Binyamin Bernstein of Baltimore. Mazal Tov also to Yosaif's seven siblings.
* Barbara Price on the occasion of the Bat Mitzvah of her granddaughter, Sarina Price, daughter of Daphne & David Price and sister of Eyden Price. Mazal Tov to Sarina's Saba, Moshe Lazar, from Toronto, and to all of the aunts, uncles, and cousins.
* Ofer Levy on the passing of his brother, Rachamim Levy. Shiva will be observed at 1009 North Belgrade Road through Monday morning. Please enter through the backyard Beit Medrash. Mincha/Maariv Sunday at 6:00 PM. The family requests no visitors 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM.
* Dr. Ari Kanal on the passing of his aunt, former YISE member Robin Niman. Shiva is being observed at 234 Prospect Ave, Cedarhurst, NY 11516, through Wednesday morning. Shacharis Sunday through Wednesday, 8:00 AM. Mincha/Maariv Sunday through Tuesday, 5:45 PM. The family requests no visitors 1:00 PM – 2:30 PM, 6:45 PM – 8:00 PM, or after 10:00 PM, 11:00 PM on Motzei Shabbos.
* Rita Shukur on the passing of her sister, Linda Lyons.
* Light Candles by 5:58
Ashkenazi: 6:00 Sephardi: 5:55 Nusach Sefard: 6:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:55 Sephardi: 5:35 Nusach Sefard: 5:55
* Shabbos ends: 6:56
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – "Sephardic Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Heimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – The recent graduates of the Semichat Chaver program in honor of Rabbi Silver and Rabbi Shaps for teaching the class and for the support of the wives/fiances that enabled us to attend every week.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur 9:00 AM, Rabbi's Study.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 4:50 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, will take place this week in the room behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by Classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, will meet this week in the Small Beis Medrash.
Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings, 7:45 PM, in the Small Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver in the Small Social Hall. For more information please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: email@example.com or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: firstname.lastname@example.org Starting Hilchos Shabbos on October 29, see flyer for details.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Small Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00AM, in the Social Hall.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women – new topic: A 2nd Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective. Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Gittin on Wednesday evenings, in the Social Hall at 7:45 PM.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth rooms behind the Balcony. 1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Tot Shabbat – with Suri Kinzbrunner 10:30 AM – 11:00 AM in the toddler room for ages 2 and under.
YISE Programs and Listings
The High Holiday Committee would like to thank the following people for helping with the Nusach Sefard services in the University Towers Party Room on Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur: David Jaray, Jesse Kahane, Ben Mishan, Moshe Mehlman, Eliezer Goldfeiz and his son Netanel, Dr. Mitch Carl, Jerry Rottenberg, Dr. Jason Rosenblatt, Mitch Taragin and one anonymous Levi.
YISE Sukkah – Thank you to the following people for erecting the YISE Sukkah: Dina, Mark, and Emunah Livingston; Michael Obadia; IraBrandriss; Avi and Anna Kotek; Sammy Franco; Stuart Cohen; and a special thank you to Moshe Nissan for replacing the lights.
Simchas Torah Kiddushes – Thank you to all the volunteers who helped prepare, plate and serve the food for the Gala Simchas Torah Kiddushes. Special thank you to Josh Breitstein for all the work he did for the Kiddushes.
Thank you to all the sponsors: Anonymous, Sharon & Jeffrey Augenbaum, Esther & Alan Baldinger, Leor & Avi Baldinger, Aliza Blumenfeld & Dov Chodoff, Naomi & Ori Carmel, Rachel & Rafi Cattan, Rysel & Ethan Cohen, Laurie & Stuart Cohen, Jennifer & Yitzhak Cohen, Marilyn & Jonathan Fine, Joey Franco, Nathan & Dottie Franco, Simi & Sammy Franco, Ezra Friedman, Miriam & Steve Friedman, Faith Ginsburg, Raphael Ginsburg, Sahra & Yale Ginsburg,
Judith & Rabbi Marvin Goldman, Debby & Rabbi Barry Greengart, Arlene Groner, Audrey Haar & Steve Siesser, Amy & Albert Hall, Tsipi & Jerry Hawk, Shari & Rabbi Scott Hillman, Nancy & Bruce James, Linda & Mike Kaiser, Esti & Moshe Kaplan, Debbie & Marc Katz, Aviva & Michael Kelsey, Ellen & Larry Korb, Valerie & Dan Kugler, Chana & Yonah Kupferstein, Lisa & Eli Landy, Carol & Tuvia Lazar, Elaine & Robert Leichter, Marilyn & Judah Lifschitz,
Allison & Jay Marcus, Cassie & Hector Mariscal, Bobbi & Jules Meisler, Bev Morris & Art Boyars, Michal & Duvie Merkin, Eva & Nissy Moskowitz, Marion & Bernie Muller, Lee & Craig Oppenheim, Barbara Price, Atara & Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum, Judy & Stuart Rosenthal, Diana & Leonard Ruchelman, Debi & Max Rudmann, Hedy & Rabbi Binyamin Sanders, Sheridan & Melvin Sassoon, Dolores & Leonard Schwartz, Harriet & Ron Sheinson, Gloria & Arnie Sherman,
Rita & Kheder Shukur, Phyllis & George Teitelbaum, Sandie Thurman, Abby & Chaim Tor, Gila & Rabbi Myron Wakschlag, Harriette & Richard Weinstein.
Stop the Bleed Training – Sunday, November 3, at YISE. Watch your email for signup details.
Kristallnacht Commemoration – Sunday, November 3, 7:30 PM at YISE. In commemoration of Kristallnacht, the Night of Broken Glass, YISE and KMS will be hosting Mrs. Halina Silber, a survivor who worked in Oskar Schindler's factories during the Holocaust. Beginning at age 10, her story of survival through the war years included periods in forced labor, in the Slomniki Ghetto and in Auschwitz. Please join us to hear Mrs. Silber's story and to mark the 81st anniversary of Kristallnacht. Children ages 12 and above are encouraged to attend with their parents. Sign language interpreter available. For more information, contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, November 4, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. West in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517.
Senior Lunch – Wednesday, November 6, 12 Noon, Social Hall. Dr. Alan Breitler, Great Scientists, Part 6, "Marie Curie and Radioactivity"
Protecting Yourself in an Age of Fraud – Sunday, November 10, 10:30 AM – noon in the Small Social Hall. Organized by Bikur Cholim and YISE. Learn about senior financial fraud and exploitation. Panel discussion including Rabbi Rosenbaum, Leslie Kessler, Leah Nichaman and Tovah Kasdin. See flyer for details.
Veterans Day Dining Out – The Jewish Community is invited to the Jewish War Veterans' Post 360 first annual Veterans Day Dining Out., Sunday, November 10, 1800 hours (6:00 PM) at KMS. Join us as we honor the service of those who came before us and for those who are still serving. Guest speaker, Rear Admiral Paul Becker (USN, ret). Cost $65, sponsorship opportunities available. For more details, go to www.schlesingers.com
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Community Programs and Listings
Tzurba M'Rabanan learning group meets every Shabbos. Men's group at 3:00 PM at the home of Moshe & Rose Litwack, 11302 Monticello Ave. Women's group at 4:45 PM at the home of Josh & Mickie Breitstein, 1215 North Belgrade Road.
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, October 26, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 516. NOTE NEW TIME: 4:00 PM.
Pirchei – Calling all boys, first through sixth grade! Pirchei takes place every Shabbos at the Yeshiva, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. See you there! To join our email list, contact Ranon Cortell or Pinchas Werner at firstname.lastname@example.org
Bnei Akiva Snif – Shabbos, October 26, at KMS starting at 4:45 PM. Walking group from YISE leaving at 4:30 PM.
Yad Yehuda's Clothing Exchange is a free clothing store for new or gently-used modest, up-to-date, clothing. We stock men's, women's, children's and infant's clothes and winter coats. We currently have an overabundance of beautiful clothing and are opening our doors to the general Jewish community. Please drop in to see our selection this Sunday, October 27. from 9:30 AM – 10:30 AM and on Sunday November 3 and November 10 at 9:30 AM and November 17 at 7:00 PM. The Clothing Exchange is located at Yad Yehuda House, 1910 University Boulevard West, SilverÂ Spring, MD 20902. There is no charge for items in The Clothing Exchange.
Post High School Girls Shiur – Tuesday night, October 29, 8:30 PM at the Pepper home, 1101 North Belgrade Road. This week's Shiur will be given by Rabbi Pepper.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, October 30, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Ovadia Hayat at email@example.com for more information.
Koidenover Rebbe – All are invited to a special evening with the Koidenover Rebbe, Monday, November 4, at the home of Dr Nick Muzin, 800 Stonington Rd. Private meetings with the Rebbe will begin at 7:00 PM, followed by an uplifting Kumsitz at 8:00 PM. To schedule an appointment with the Rebbe or for more information, contact R Shlomo Slatkin at 443-570-7598 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Project Akiva – Please join us on Sunday, November 10, from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM at 615 Hyde Rd, for the launch of Project Akiva, L'ilui Nishmas Akiva Leib ben Ezra Meshulam Eliezer. Project Akiva is an organization that will help families heal after the unimaginable loss of a child. There will be fun for the whole family (moonbounce, popcorn, face-painting and more) as a way to introduce Project Akiva and thank the community for the outpouring of love and support that was shown to our family during the life of our son, Akiva. This is an outdoor event, so please bring a jacket if it is chilly.
The rain date will be Sunday, November 17. If you have any questions, please email Projectakiva@gmail.com or text 301-802-0558. Ezra and Yiscah Baldinger.
Get EGGcited About STEAM – Join Berman Hebrew Academy on Sunday, November 10, 10:00 AM – noon at Berman for an EGGciting STEAM event with hands-on activities allowing our youngest thinkers to create, problem-solve, innovate and invent. This event is open to the community and is geared towards preschoolers, kindergarteners and their siblings. To register, visit bit.ly/steamatberman or contact Ellie Levine at email@example.com
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington Hope & Healing Gala – November 17, 10:00 AM at Beth Sholom Congregation. Honoring Betty Kramer, Judi Kranz, Max Rudmann and David Zierler. To register, go to www.bikurcholimgw.org For more information, call 202-331-4481 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Hachnasat Orchim Kemp Mill (H.O.K.M.), in partnership with Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington, is being launched to pair hosts with Kemp Mill individuals who wish to be hosted for Shabbat and Yom Tov meals, so everyone has the opportunity to share Seudot with others. To host or to be hosted, please create a login at SeudaFinder.com Registered hosts will be notified via email of guests available for hosting. Registered guests may request hosting by members of our community. For information, visit SeudaFinder's FAQ page or contact email@example.com Serena Kalish, Miriam Levson, Chayie Chinn – Initiative Chairs
(Please note that YISE will also continue its own Hospitality Program focused on out-oftown guests, newcomers, and coordinating Seudot for Sukkos and Pesach).
Capital Kosher Pantry – The shelves at Yad Yehuda's Capital Kosher Pantry need restocking. Please help us replenish the foods so very needed by your friends and neighbors. Items most needed at this time include: Almond or soy milk, apple juice, canned fruit, cereals, granola/snack bars, healthy grains (farro, rice mixes), juice packs, pancake syrup, pareve crackers, pasta sauce, pizza sauce, rice cakes and vegetarian baked beans. Please DO NOT donate pasta or matzah. All items must be factory sealed in unbreakable containers, Kosher and well within the use-by date.
Donation boxes are located in area shuls, Berman Hebrew Academy, Moti's Market, Shalom Kosher, Torah School, YGW Girls Division and in front of Yad Yehuda House at 1910 University Boulevard West. Please place only packaged food donations in the boxes. You may also visit yadyehuda.org/pantry to shop online and have products shipped directly to the Pantry. Our friends and neighbors in need rely on your generous assistance. Thank you so much for doing your part.
Sefer Torah for Misaskim of Greater Washington – Misaskim provides families with all that is necessary for Shiva. It does not, however, have its own Sefer Torah for use exclusively in Shiva homes. Providing a Sefer Torah has strained the resources of our shuls, especially when there are multiple Shiva homes. Rabbi Zvi and Mrs. Esti Teitelbaum have launched a campaign to raise funds for a Sefer Torah in memory of their daughter, Chayala, A"H, who was Nifteres several months ago. For more information and to donate, please visit SeferTorahForChayala.com
Daf Yomi Shiur meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before the YISE late Mincha.
Kollel Dirshu of Silver Spring is studying Maseches Gittin at the YGW. Daily morning shiur given by Rabbi Eli Reingold at 5:45 AM and evening shiur by Ranon Cortell and Pinchas Werner at 9:00 PM. Chavrusah are also available during these learning times. For more information and to join our learning program please contact Hirsh Komarow (301) 681-1646; firstname.lastname@example.org
Dirshu Mishnah Brurah – Learn Chelek Daled with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Learn the Halachos of Eruvin and Techumin. Finish the Chelek in eleven months! Monday through Thursday at YISE after Maariv. For more information contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 12:30 PM – 1:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services or to volunteer.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday October 27 Monday October 28 Tuesday, Oct. 29 – Rosh Chodesh Wednesday, Oct. 30 – Rosh Chodesh Thursday October 31 Friday November 1
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:10, 7:15 6:00, 7:15 6:00, 7:15 6:10, 7:15 6:15, 7:15
Ashkenazi 5:55 5:55 5:55 5:55 5:55 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 5:50 5:50 5:50 5:50 5:50
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:43 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 10:10 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:22 PM
November 1 – 2, 2019 – 4 Cheshvan 5780
Light Candles: Friday by 5:49 – Havdalah: 6:48
* Light Candles by 5:49
Ashkenazi: 5:50 Sephardi: 5:45 Nusach Sefard: 5:50
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:45 Sephardi: 5:25 Nusach Sefard: 5:45
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:48
Tuesday, October 29 YISE Board of Directors Meeting, 8:00 PM
Sunday, November 3 Stop the Bleed, 12:00 noon/2:30 PM/5:00 PM
Sunday, November 3 Kristallnacht Commemoration, 7:30 PM
Motzei Shabbos, Nov. 9 Dor L'Dor, 7:00 PM
Sunday, November 10 Protecting Yourself in an Age of Fraud, 10:30 AM
Sunday, November 10 Veterans Day Dining Out, 6:00 PM at KMS
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, October 30 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-55c61 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday: 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager