Included in the PDF are the Israel Report, Hamaayan, Likutei Torah and GWCK Shabbos Delights, which are normally available next to the Shabbos Shorts at YISE.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
October 16 – 17, 2020 – 29 Tishrei 5781 – Parshas Bereshis/Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 6:09 – Havdalah 7:06
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Monica and Ezra Friedman in honor of Chana and Paul Berner for hosting the shofar ceremony and in honor of all those who sponsored the Simchas Torah Kiddush-to-Go, and by Jason and Zipporah Rosenblatt, who invite YISE to a virtual program on Sunday, October 18, at 11:00 AM. Please see details and access in Community Programs below.
* Harriet & Elliot Jacob on the birth of a grandson, born to their children Loni & Hillel Goldman of Baltimore.
* Aliza & Rabbi Yitzchak Scher and family on the birth of a daughter, Malka Chaya, on Yom Kippur. Mazal Tov to grandparents Roberta & Allan Scher of Atlanta and to Chana & Rabbi Benzion Berliant of Woodside.
Limited Minyanim are now taking place at YISE under Montgomery County’s Phase 2 guidelines. All Minyanim require advance registration and confirmation. If you are interested in attending Minyanim and have not already registered, please go to https://www.yise.org/minyan If you are registered for a Minyan and are unable to attend at that time, please do not go to a different Minyan. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com Friday Night:
* Light Candles by 6:09
* Mincha: 6:15
If you Daven Kabbalos Shabbos prior to Shkia (6:27 PM), it is preferable to Daven Mincha prior to Plag (5:17 PM).
* Shacharis: 7:15, 9:00, 9:30, 9:00 (Sephardi) One may say the entire text of the blessing of Birkas Hachodesh even when alone. Rosh Chodesh Cheshvan is on Sunday and Monday. The Molad will be this Shabbos morning, 23 minutes after 3, Jerusalem time.
* Mincha: 2:30, 5:00, 5:00 (Sephardi)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 7:06
* Advance registration for Minyanim is required and space is limited. Go to https://www.yise.org/minyan to register. If you have changes to your original registration form, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with details.
* If you attend Minyanim at other locations during the week, you may not attend Minyanim at YISE the same week. The week starts fresh each Friday night.
* All other activities at YISE are cancelled, including Youth Groups, Shiurim and special events.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary. Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and updated times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Sunday through Friday 8:30 AM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:30 PM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now studying Sefer Yehoshua,Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men and Women – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom G.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings, 7:40 PM, Zoom F.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM (except as noted). For more info. contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com 347-869-9361.
* For Men & Women – Zoom C (except as noted):
* Mondays: (for men only) Rabbi H. Shaps, On the Same Page Gemara, Zoom B.
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Grossman – Parshas Hashavua, 9:00 PM
* For Women – Zoom D:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys
* Tuesdays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Bereishis in-Depth
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Hillel Shaps. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps: firstname.lastname@example.org
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM, Zoom E.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Gittin on Wednesday evenings, 8:00 PM, Zoom H.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 349 754 2180, password GWCK
Zoom C: ID: 746 455 2195, password GWCK
Zoom D: ID: 601 853 4021, password Winter
Zoom E: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom F: ID: 269 840 3648, password online Pearls, phone 621690
Zoom G: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom H: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
YISE Programs and Listings
Yasher Koach to all who participated in the Virtual Simchas Torah Auction to help support the Shul. The winning bidders are:
* Chasan Torah – Howard Gorin
* Chasan Breishis – Yitz Kasdan
* Right to purchase grape juice for Kiddush/Havdalah – Eli Spilman
* Right to Sponsor First Ruach Minyan – Post COVID-19 – Aaron Lash
* Right to Sponsor the First In-Person Shiur with Rabbi Rosenbaum – Post COVID-19 – Aaron Lash
* Right to Sponsor First Main Minyan Kiddush – Post COVID-19 – Isaac Moses
* Atah Horaisah for Maariv and Shacharis – Yale Ginsburg
Special thanks to Craig Simon for setting up the auction. May we all be able to attend the lively Simchas Torah auction in-person next year.
Preschool Director – YISE is seeking a warm and caring director for the 2021-2022 school year to help re-open our dynamic preschool, the starting point for an outstanding Jewish and General Studies education. (We are closed for the 2020-2021 school year due to COVID-19.) The position will begin part-time in January 2021, and become full time in July to enable the director to implement the return to a full learning program, which will include hiring staff, updating curriculum, and recruiting students. Early Childhood training and experience is required and previous director experience is an advantage. Please send your resume and at least two references before October 30 to Susan Koss at email@example.com
YISE Regular Board Meeting will take place on Wednesday, October 21, 8:00 PM, on Zoom. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
YISE Youth Jewish Music Dance Party with Lauren Balsam of Swag Cardio Kidz! Sunday, October 25, 5:00 PM – 5:45 PM. For girls K- 5th grade. RSVP to email@example.com. See flyer for details.
Semichat Chaver Program – YISE and GWCK invite men of the community to participate in the Semichat Chaver Program (SCP) – a popular and innovative international Halachic study program. Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. Tuesdays at 9:00 PM on Zoom. New session begins October 27. Registration required. Register at gwckollel.org/scp Men's Programming. For more information please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps: firstname.lastname@example.org
Rabbi Koss's Monthly Jewish History class – now on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, November 2, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom A. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this muchneeded medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Community Programs & Listings
Rabbi Morris & Rebbetzin Esther Rosenblatt Virtual Memorial Program – Sunday, October 18, 11:00 AM. Featured guest from Jerusalem, award winning author Yossi Klein Halevi in conversation with Gary Rosenblatt. Zoom Meeting ID: 845 2452 5607, passcode 428501 or direct link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84524525607?pwd=RVFUK1BCWnllL25FR1ZoTE9qLzZldz09
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, October 21, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Yad Yehuda 2nd Annual Coat Drive! Please donate NEW or LIKE-NEW coats for all ages/sizes for distribution in our community. Drop-off at 903 Holborn Street (porch) or the Yad Yehuda House, 1910 University Blvd. West (porch bin) by October 23rd.
Need a winter coat for you or your family? Shop for a free coat Sunday, October 25, 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM outside Yad Yehuda House, 1910 University Blvd. West. Masks and social distancing required. For more information, contact Naomi Carmel at email@example.com or Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Medicare & You – A virtual event with Kemp Mill Village, Thursday, October 22, 5:00 PM – 7:00 PM. Registration required at KempMillVillage.org or contact email@example.com or call 1-833-KMV-20902 for more information.
The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Roy Rosenbaum’s Shiur on "Higher Biblical Criticism: a Popular – but Highly Flawed – Theory" for men & women, Thursdays 10:15 AM, beginning October 29 on Zoom. Meeting ID: 970 1398 4837 . Password: 613
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington Hope and Healing Gala – Event streaming on November 8, 10:00 AM, honoring BCGW volunteers Sid Diamond, Arlene Groner and Marcia Kerchner. Register online at https://www.bikurcholimgw.org
Journey to Virtue: Self-Development through Jewish Study – Wednesdays, 8:00 PM on Zoom. Discover the great wisdom of the Jewish tradition to help you reach your full potential, enhance your relationships, and live life with greater meaning! Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. The journey continues. Join any time! No cost. Zoom info and registration at linksgw.org/classes
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list. Sunday 7:00 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM, Friday 5:45 PM.
Zichron Menachem Hair Drive – Covid-19 caused us to cancel our usual drive, but this did not deter our wonderful donors. They just cut their braids at home. Starting in July, one of my amazing hairdressers Susan Kwak, from Style Salon, cut hair once again. She told me that she would continue to offer free donation haircuts to anyone with 12 inches of hair or more. If you or anyone you know would like to donate hair, please call or text Nancy, at 301-452-7080. Don't hesitate to leave a message. Susan works Sundays and Tuesdays. You can pick your time. Thank you and Tizku L'Mitzvot!
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Kemp Mill Village is providing friendly phone calls and limited deliveries during the pandemic. Call 1-833-KMV-20902 to request service or to volunteer. See kempmillvillage.org for more information.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday – October 18 – Rosh Chodesh
Monday – October 19 – Rosh Chodesh
Limited Minyanim will take place at YISE next week, advance registration and confirmation required. You are encouraged to Daven at home at the same time as a Minyan at YISE.Shacharis: Sunday 6:30 AM/7:30 AM/8:45 AM; Monday through Friday 6:30 AM/7:00 AM/8:45 AM. Mincha/Maariv: Sunday – Thursday: 6:10 PM.
Shacharis at Shul begins with Yishtabach – Daven Pesukei Dezimrah at home no earlier than Alos Hashachar (this Friday 6:07 AM).
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:35 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 10:07 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:23 PM
October 23 – 24, 2020 – 6 Cheshvan 5781
Light Candles: 5:59
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, October 21 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.yise.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday – 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Simi Franco – Office Manager
Simchas Torah Kiddush-To-Go
Thank you to all the volunteers and sponsors of the Simchas Torah Kiddush-To-Go:
Simi and Jessie Franco, Yale and Sahra Ginsburg, Arlene Groner, Ali Jacobson, Danit, Naava, and Rachel Kanal, Moshe Kaplan, Masha and Meir Katz, Manasseh Katz, Tuvia, Carol, Eli, Riki, and Ami Lazar, Yonah and Teanna Mainzer, Chad Miller, Eva and Isaac Moses, Josh and Adina Obstfeld, Barbara Price, Ken and Elise Saks, Sharon and Dovie Shimoff, Craig and Rachelli Simon, Judy and Mitch Taragin.
Premium Gold Member Donation: Nancy and Bruce James
Platinum Sponsors: Carol and Tuvia Lazar, Dr. Eva & Mr. Isaac Moses
Gold Sponsors: Debbie & Dr. Marc Katz
Silver Sponsors: Simi & Sammy Franco (in honor of children and grandchildren), Raph Ginsburg, Sahra & Yale Ginsburg, Danit & Dr. Ari Kanal, Judy & Stuart Rosenthal
Bronze Sponsors: Esther and Dr. Alan Baldinger, Naomi and Ori Carmel, Miriam and Steve Friedman, Faith Ginsburg, Melanie and Sandy Karlin, Elaine and Robert Leichter, Bobbi and Jules Meisler, Barbara Price, Debbie Rogal ( in honor of Rabbi Rosenbaum in thanks for the many shiurim he teaches, as well as his communal and personal support), Debi and Max Rudmann, Sheridan and Melvin Sassoon, Karen and Dr. Howie Schulman (in honor of children and grandchildren), Renee and Josh Seidemann, Sara Silver
Hakafos Sponsors: Cindy and Joel Bauman, Shari and Rabbi Scott Hillman, Susan and Rabbi Saul Koss, Judy, Moshe, Yehudah, Herschel, Yehoshua, and Tova Mehlman, Marion and Bernie Muller, Lee and Craig Oppenheim, Phyllis and George Teitelbaum
Seudah Sponsors: Milton Cahn, Aliza and Gil Chlewicki, Esther Edeson and Family, Rochelle Dimont, Aliza Fink and Michael Zatman, Nechama and Ted Goodman, Ellen and Larry Korb, Tzipporah and Dr. Jason Rosenblatt, Mindy and Fred Shuback, Judy and Mitch Taragin and Family, Gila and Rabbi Myron Wakschlag
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to email@example.com – Sponsor name, Birthday or anniversary date, Name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Our current limited ability to Daven with a Minyan and to say Kaddish is difficult and a challenge. However, sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Sunday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Chumash Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The Pre-Shabbos Drasha video is available for sponsorship at $54.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to this past week's Shiurim sponsors:
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha and Halacha Shiur
* Judy and David Marwick in memory of Mrs. Robin Niman, Tziporah bas Avraham Tzvi, Z"L.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Erev Shabbos Parsha Drasha
* Art Boyars to thank Rabbi Barry Greengart for making sure Kaddish is said on behalf of people who cannot get to shul for Yahrzeits
* Fay Kasser in memory of her mother, Rivkah Tzivya bas Pinchas Z"L, grandmother of the Kasser & Sorkin kids.
* Dena Kotek to commemorate the Yahrtzeit of her mother, Libka Fayga bas Chanoch, Z"L, on the 3rd of Cheshvan
* Abby and Chaim Tor to commemorate the Yahrtzeit of Chaim's brother, Naftali ben Yosef v'Rivka