Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
October 1 – 2, 2021 – 26 Tishrei 5782 – Bereshis/Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 6:32 – Havdalah 7:29
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by the Edeson and Stern Families in honor and in memory of Jacob S. Edeson, Z"L, Yaakov Shlomo ben Yosef Nosson, on his 90th birthday,
and by Serena, Ben, Naava & Yosef Kalish saying "Thank you and goodbye to all our friends here in Kemp Mill as we make Aliyah this coming week. We will miss you!"
* BenZion and Terumah Kugler and Grandma Shonny Kugler and extended family, on the engagement of their son/grandson Yosef Kugler to Dassi Winklestein from Far Rockaway.
* Marla & Marty Teichman on the birth of a grandson. Mazal Tov to the parents, Coralie & Mitchell Teichman.
* R' Pinchas Werner on the publication of his Sefer Keitzad Seder Mishna.
* Marnin Lebovitz on the passing of his father, Dr. Binyamin Lebovits. The funeral took place in Chicago. Marnin may be reached during Shiva through Wednesday morning at 312-576-5678.
Minyan locations are listed as B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall. All Sephardi Minyanim take place in the Beit Medrash.
* Light Candles by 6:32
* Mincha: 6:35 (B), 6:25 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi), 9:15 (Teen Minyan – 1101 North Belgrade Road)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 6:30 (B), 6:25 (Sephardi)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 7:29
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 9:15 Rabbi Postelnek
* Shiur after Mincha Rabbi Rosenbaum
* The YISE Board has mandated that everyone who is medically eligible for an FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 in order to enter the Shul building, effective November 1.
* Masks are required for ALL people in the YISE Arcola building, whether vaccinated or unvaccinated, with the exception of children under the age of 2.
* There are no social distancing requirements in the YISE building. There are no in-person Kiddushes at this time.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday 9:30 AM, Zoom A, will not take place on Monday.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday 7:30 PM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Mishlei, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM, Zoom F.
* Rabbi Hillel Shaps – Unraveling the Navi: Melachim Aleph, will resume on October 10.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more information, contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same Page Gemara – in person (Social Hall) and on Zoom F.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Reading Responsa – Zoom D.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom H.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys, will resume on October 11.
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 8:45 PM with Rabbi Hillel Shaps, now taking place in person in the Social Hall. The new SCP semester will begin on October 19. Stay tuned for details. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps: email@example.com Registration required at gwckollel.org/scp
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurim for men & women, Monday – Parasha, Tuesday – Halachos, 8:45 AM, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", Zoom E.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Bava Kama 7th Perek Merubah. Wednesday evenings, 8:00 PM, Zoom G.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom E: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom F: ID: 349 754 2180, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
Zoom H: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
YISE Youth Announcements
Shabbos Groups will take place this Shabbos, October 2, from 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM, indoors. Masks required indoors for age 2+. Age 18-35 months will be located in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 3-5 years will meet in the room behind the balcony. Ages 6-9 years will meet at Shomrai and walk over to the Yeshiva. For more information, contact Michal Merkin, YISE Youth groups coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank You to Debbie Weinstein for organizing such a fun Sukkah Decorations Craft activity! Please see the attached image at the end of the Shorts!
YISE Programs and Listings
Welcome new members voted in last week at the latest board meeting: Dr, Tamar Demby & Mr. Dov Simen, Dr. Rachel & Joel Fox, Allison & Rabbi Yonatan Gorin and Jessica & Gamliel Kronemer.
Sukkah Builders – The shul extends a big thank you to the following people who built the Shul's Sukkah: Rabbi Ira Brandriss, Stuart Cohen, Shmuel Gabai, Yonah Gimbal, Aharon Goodman and the Kotek Family.
Simchas Torah Honors – A thank you to all the donors from the Hashkamah, Main and 9:15 Minyanim for donations to help support the Shul in honor of honors on Simchas Torah, raising a significant amount of money to help our Shul.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim and Parsha Shiur – Videos of past Shiurim are now available at https://wp.yise.org/parsha
Kiddush in a Bag! While we are not yet back to regular in-Shul Kiddushes, we are happy to now offer Kiddush in a Bag for the 8:45 and 9:15 Minyanim. To sponsor the Kiddush in a Bag, contact Simi Franco at email@example.com
Come Join Rabbi Koss's Monthly Jewish History class on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee: Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, October 4, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom A. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this muchneeded medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax-deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to email@example.com: Sponsor name, birthday or anniversary date, name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
* Simi & Sammy Franco wish a happy belated birthday to Esther Edeson whose birthday was September 17th!
* A very happy birthday to the First Lady from the President and family.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Monday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The 8:45 and 9:15 Shabbos Drashas are both available for sponsorship at $54 each.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to this past week's Shiurim sponsors:
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in honor of a Refuah Sheleimah to Rabbi Hyatt and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Shabbos Drasha
* Beverly Morris in memory of her friend, Mary Marks, Z"L, of Pittsburgh, PA, who, when asked by the JCC to call a few lonely people each week before Shabbos, grew it into 300 calls each week for over 20 years.
Community Programs & Listings
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, October 6, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments, shopping, etc. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. COVID-19 precautions are followed for the health of drivers and riders. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more information.
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? Izun is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Email us at email@example.com
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Kemp Mill Village is merging into the larger, wellestablished Silver Spring Village (SSV) as of September 1. All current members will have several additional months to try out the many services offered by Silver Spring Village. Non-members will also be able to experience a trial period to decide if they want to join. To learn more about SSV's varied offerings, visit https://silverspringvillage.org
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Wednesday, October 6 and Thursday, October 7 – Rosh Chodesh
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 5:53 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 6:20 AM, Latest Netz: 7:13 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 10:01 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:27 PM, Earliest Shkia: 6:37 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim: 7:27 PM
October 8 – 9, 2021 – 3 Marcheshvan 5782
* Light Candles by 6:21
* Mincha: 6:25 (B), 6:15 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 6:20 (B), 6:15 (Sephardi)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 7:18
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, October 6 at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.yise.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Friday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager