Included in the PDF are the Israel Report, Likutei Torah, Hamaayan and GWCK Shabbos Delights, which are normally available next to the Shabbos Shorts at YISE.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
May 7 – 8, 2021 – 26 Iyar 5781 – Behar/Bechukosai/Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 7:49 – Havdalah 8:53
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Dolores and Len Schwartz to commemorate the 10th Yahrzeit of Len's mother, Rose Schwartz, Shoshana Rizel bas Moshe Shmuel Halevi, and in honor of Sandy Karlin's special birthday by the Karlin family: Melanie; Matthew & Sarah; Raphael & Shayna; Benjy & Dalya; Yakov Gedaliah, Akiva, Meir, Tova Kayla, Betzalel, Simcha, Charles, Liam & Eliezer.
* Marsha & Yitz Kasdan on the Bas Mitzvah celebration this past week for their twin granddaughters, Miri and Ryzee Kasdan. Mazal Tov to the girls' parents Fayge & Chaim Kasdan, their sister Frieda, their other grandparents Malky & Pinny Hikind, all of the aunts, uncles and cousins, and their great-grandmother Evelyn Elbogen.
* Vivian & Arnie Kirshenbaum on the engagement of their grandson, Kevin Bokor to Ally Schlisser of New York. Mazal Tov to the Rosenblum, Bokor and Garfinkel families.
* Ora & Zach Prince on the birth of a daughter, Amelia Ruth. Mazal Tov also to big sister Gabby and grandparents, Barbie & Jim Prince.
* Rachel & Michael Ravin on the Bar Mitzvah of their son Akiva. Mazal Tov to siblings Chana Leah, Zev and Eliana. Mazal Tov to grandparents Sharon & Beryl Ravin and Joyce Levy and extended family and friends.
* David Danesh on the passing of his mother, Tahereh Danesh. David is observing Shiva through Monday morning. He may be reached during Shiva at 301-593-0248. Mishnayos learning signup at: https://lzechernishmas.com/signup.php?id=8601
* Elaine Rubin on the passing of her father, Larry Klinger. Elaine is observing Shiva through Wednesday morning. She can be reached during Shiva at 240-643-4482.
Limited Minyanim are now taking place at YISE under Montgomery County's Phase 2 guidelines. All Minyanim require advance registration and confirmation. If you are interested in attending Minyanim and have not registered, please go to https://www.yise.org/minyan If you are registered for a Minyan and are unable to attend at that time, please do not go to a different Minyan. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com
* Light Candles by 7:49
* Mincha: 6:20, 7:50, 7:45 (Sephardi)
If you Daven Kabbalas Shabbos prior to Shkia (8:07 PM), it is preferable to Daven Mincha prior to Plag (6:39 PM).
One may say the entire text of the blessing of Birkas Hachodesh even when alone. Rosh Chodesh Sivan is on Wednesday. The Molad will be Tuesday night, 31 minutes and 7 Chalakim after 8, Jerusalem time.
* Shacharis: 7:00, 9:00, 9:30, 8:00 (Sephardi)
* Mincha: 2:30, 5:00, 7:45, 7:45 (Sephardi)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 8:53
YISE Youth Announcements
Youth Groups Survey – Please fill out the following form if you have a child age 2-10 and receive a free slice of pizza from Ben Yehuda! https://wp.yise.org/shabbos-youth-groups-survey
Camp Shomrai is back for another fun-filled summer with programming for children in preschool through ninth grade! Camp runs from July 5th through August 13th. For more info or to register online, visit our website at https://campshomrai.org See flyer for details.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Sunday through Friday 8:30 AM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday 7:00 PM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now studying Sefer Yehoshua, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men and Women – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM.
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom F.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings, Zoom I.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM (except as noted). For more info. contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361.
* For Men & Women – Zoom C (except as noted):
* Mondays: (for men only) Rabbi H. Shaps, On the Same Page Gemara, Zoom B.
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Grossman – Parshas Hashavua, 9:00 PM.
* For Women – Zoom D
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys
* Tuesdays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Bereishis in-Depth
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Hillel Shaps. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps: email@example.com Registration required at gwckollel.org/scp
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM, Zoom E.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, ¡§A Second Look-Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective¡¨, Zoom H.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Gittin on Wednesday evenings, 8:00 PM, Zoom G.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 349 754 2180, password Learn
Zoom C: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom D: ID: 601 853 4021, password Winter
Zoom E: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom F: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom G: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
Zoom H: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom I: ID: 269 840 3648, password online Pearls, phone 621690
* Outdoor Minyan – If you are interested in a Shabbos morning outdoor Minyan without a tent, subject to weather conditions, please email Ari Elias-Bachrach at firstname.lastname@example.org
* Minyan Changes – We are making changes to the Minyan schedule to accommodate as many members as possible. Watch your email for details and make sure to check your email every Friday morning to get your personalized Minyan schedule for the following week. We will have two Zman Minyanim but no Plag Minyan on Shavuos nights. There will be a Netz Minyan on the first day of Shavuos if there is sufficient interest.
* Advance registration for Minyanim is required and space is limited. Go to https://www.yise.org/minyan to register. If you have changes to your original, please send an email to email@example.com with details.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
YISE Programs and Listings
Yom Yerushalayim – In honor of Yom Yerushalayim, Monday, May 10, the 2nd Shacharis Minyan, normally at 6:45 in the Social Hall, will meet at 6:35 with special additions. The other Shacharis Minyanim will meet at their regular times, without special additions. If you do not normally attend this Minyan but would like to attend on Yom Yerushalayim, let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org
Ask The Rabbi! Come join our virtual, interactive monthly program featuring Halachos of Shabbos and holidays! This month's topic: Yom Tov. A recording of this month's Shiur is available at wp.yise.org/ask-the-rabbi
Shavuos Hospitality – Baruch Hashem, the CDC's latest guidance opens the door for more shared meals, under certain circumstances. The YISE Hospitality Committee would like to help match up guests with hosts for Shavuos meals, taking vaccination status and the CDC's guidelines into account. If you would like to host people at your Shavuos meals, please visit wp.yise.org/shavuos-host To sign up to be a guest, please visit wp.yise.org/shavuos-guest There is more information on the sign-up forms and on the "FAQ" list at wp.yise.org/shavuos-hospitality If you have any further questions, please contact us at email@example.com P.S.: Stay tuned for news about year-round Shabbos meals. See flyer for details.
Shiurim on Shavuos Afternoon: First Day – Rabbi Rosenbaum will give a Shiur for men and women, "The Remarkable Adaptability of our Torah to any Circumstance: COVID-19 Shaalos." Second Day – Rebbetzin Rosenbaum will give a Shiur for women, "Compelled to Commit? Shavuos and the Foundations of Faith." Both Shiurim will meet at 5:00 PM in the Social Hall. Seating is limited, Please register with firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, May 14.
Annual Congregational Meeting – The annual meeting for election of YISE officers and trustees will take place on Tuesday, May 25 at 7:30 PM on Zoom A.
YISE Regular Board Meeting will take place on Tuesday, May 25, at 9:00 PM on Zoom. For more information, contact email@example.com
Update: Being Social. In the past few months, YISE's Social Committee has organized a range of programs to bring us together virtually – Trivia Night, Painting, a Purim Shpiel… We have also expressed our thanks to the Holy Cross Hospital health workers and treated the Wheaton Rescue Squad to a special dinner. Want to help? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration for Shomrai Preschool 2021-2022 is now open! We are excited to be offering a Torah-rich, child-centered program for children entering 2 year-old Nursery – 4 year-old Pre-K. School day runs from 8:30 AM – 3:00 PM. Extended care options available from 7:30 AM -8:30 AM and 3:00 PM – 6:00 PM. Register early for maximum savings! Visit our website for tuition rates and online registration at https://preschool.yise.org/registration For more information about the program email Sarah Dollman at email@example.com See flyer for details.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this muchneeded medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax-deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
* Simi & Sammy wish Jerry Rottenberg a happy birthday on Sunday!
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Our current limited ability to Daven with a Minyan and to say Kaddish is difficult and a challenge. However, sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Sunday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The Pre-Shabbos Drasha video is available for sponsorship at $54.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to this past week's Shiurim sponsors:
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur
* Refuah Sheleimah to Sarah Haya bas Hinda.
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in honor of a Refuah Sheleimah to Rabbi Hyatt and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Erev Shabbos Drasha
* Anonymous in honor of our beloved Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum in gratitude for all he has done and continues to do for the Klal. May Hashem give him the strength to continue.
Community Programs & Listings
A Time for Unity! – Special speaker series, Sunday evenings through May 9, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM, online at chabadsilverspring.com/zoom As we look forward to Shavuos, the season of the giving of our Torah, let us come together and find inspiration in the words of the Torah. Chabad of Silver Spring is hosting distinguished rabbis again this year between Pesach and Shavuos. Sunday, May 9, Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum, YISE.
The Yad Yehuda Clothing Exchange has available hours for all members of the community to shop at no cost this Sunday, May 9, from 10:00 AM – 12 oon. This is an opportunity for people to come and shop for beautiful, Tzanua clothing in our well-equipped showroom, while wearing masks and maintaining social distancing. Everyone must be in good health and not have been in contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19. If you have any questions please contact email@example.com
Capital Kosher Pantry Summer Collection – Please donate non-perishable items. Specially needed: canned pineapple, graham cracker crusts, olives, olive oil, Wacky Mac, yeast. Always needed: paper napkins, paper towels, tissues & toilet paper. You can buy items at your local store & place them in a Capital Kosher Pantry donation bin at Shalom, Moti's and area Shuls, or buy online & ship directly to us! Go to: www.yadyehuda.org/kosher-pantry for more information.
Yad Yehuda Donation Policy Update – Many unsolicited items are being dropped off at Yad Yehuda's office. We incur costs to dispose of those items. Please do not drop off: clothing/shoes/coats, household and baby items, electronics, books, Judaica/sheimos. Donations of non-perishable food for the Capital Kosher Pantry are welcomed and appreciated.
The Good Book is the annual local Orthodox Jewish directory published in Greater Washington since 1995 by Dr. Bert and Rachelle Miller. The 240-page book is mailed for free to all interested Orthodox-affiliated households. Interested households should email their new listing info or updated info to firstname.lastname@example.org Thank you in advance for your participation. (Years ago, Dr. Miller established YISE's Shabbos/Yom Tov Taxi Service.) The deadline for providing information to the Good Book is Monday, May 10.
Bonei Olam Greater Washington Virtual Panel – Please join us on Tuesday, May 11, at 8:00 PM to learn about Bonei Olam's impact in Greater Washington and beyond. Each year, Bonei Olam provides millions of dollars in financial assistance to cover the prohibitive costs of fertility treatment and medical procedures. This is a rare opportunity to learn about the organization from the perspective of the founder and director, a case worker, and a beneficiary. Zoom Meeting ID: 979 8996 5438. To contact the local chapter or submit a question for the panel, email email@example.com To donate go to https://www.boneiolam.org//give/greaterwashington All proceeds raised will be used to help local couples in our area.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, May 12, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Words You Can Leave Behind…Ethical Wills & Your Memoirs – A virtual event with Kemp Mill Village. Thursday, May 13, 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom. Presented by Hedy Peyser, Andy Siegel & Beverly Moss. Registration required by Wednesday, May 12, at www.kempmillvillage.org
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? Izun is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Email us at email@example.com
Penetrating Thoughts and Practical Perspectives – Thoughts on life, Torah and Middos. Based on Michtav M'Eliyahu, from Rav Eliyahu Dessler, Z"L. Mondays, 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher. Zoom – Meeting ID: 736 4190 7086, Passcode: torah. Presented by YGW Kollel Zichron Amram. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
What Happened at Sinai: An Exploration of the Sinai Revelation and the Ten Commandments – Wednesdays, 8:00 PM on Zoom. Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. Join any time! No cost. Zoom info and registration at linksgw.org/classes
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Kemp Mill Village is providing friendly phone calls and limited deliveries during the pandemic. Call 1-833-KMV-20902 to request service or to volunteer. See kempmillvillage.org for more information.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Monday, May 10 – Yom Yerushalayim
Wednesday, May 12 – Rosh Chodesh
Limited Minyanim will take place at YISE next week, advance registration and confirmation required. You are encouraged to Daven at home at the same time as a Minyan at YISE.
Shacharis: Sunday 6:30 AM/7:30 AM/8:45 AM; Monday/Wednesday 6:15 AM/6:35 AM/8:45 AM; Tuesday/Friday 6:15 AM/6:55 AM/8:45 AM; Thursday 6:15 AM/6:45 AM/8:45 AM; Mincha/Maariv: Sunday – Thursday: 7:55 PM.
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 4:28 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 5:02 AM, Latest Netz: 6:01 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:29 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:41 PM, Earliest Shkia: 8:08 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim: 9:00 PM
May 14 – 15, 2021 – 4 Sivan 5781
Light Candles: 7:55
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, May 12 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.yise.org
Office Hours: Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Simi Franco – Office Manager