Included in the PDF are the Israel Report, Hamaayan, Likutei Torah and GWCK Shabbos Delights, which are normally available next to the Shabbos Shorts at YISE.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
May 15 – 16, 2020 – 22 Iyar 5780 – Parshas Behar/Bechukosai
Light Candles by 7:56 – Havdalah 9:02
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week anonymously in appreciation of Kosher Pastry Oven, Shalom, Holy Chow and Ben Yehuda Pizza for helping to make Kemp Mill a most wonderful and inviting community. Thank you and your employees for your help, positive attitude, and delicious food. WE NEED YOU. If you are able, please help and support them during this trying time.
* Aliza & Russell Kwiat on the engagement of Tova (Givat Shumuel) to Benny Ioschikhes (Jerusalem), son of Eliyahu & Shifta Ioschikhes of Ottawa. Mazal Tov also to grandparents Nancy & Avi Weisberger and the whole Kwiat/Weisberger family.
* Stella Levy and Mona & Larry Kirsch and Carol & Teddy Trachtenberg of Far Rockaway, NY, on the birth of a granddaughter, Shalva, born to Ariel & Pinny Trachtenberg.
* Jay Marcus on his graduation from University of Maryland Global Campus with a B.S. in Political Science.
* Karen & Howie Schulman on the engagement of their granddaughter, Kayla Kramer, daughter of Miri & Rabbi Danny Kramer, to Binyamin Edelstein, son of Ivy & Rabbi Yosef Edelstein. Mazal Tov also to great-grandmother Florence Binstock Avigan, grandmothers Marcia Meth, Ida Farkash & Barbara Edelstein & all the siblings, aunts, uncles & cousins.
* Keira Zatman on her Bat Mitzvah and to her parents Aliza & Michael, siblings Ben and Amalya, and family and friends near and far.
* David Danesh on the passing of his father, Rachamim Danesh,. The funeral took place on Wednesday.
* Planning for Shul reopening has begun. Go to https://wp.yise.org/planning-for-shul-reopening/ for more details.
* All public activities at YISE are cancelled, including Minyanim, Youth Groups, Shiurim and special events.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
* Please continue to be vigilant regarding matters of personal hygiene as previously advised. If you are unwell, please do not enter the Shul or other public places. We urge you to adhere to all medical advice you may receive regarding self-quarantine.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
Note that Davening times are listed for reference so that people may Daven at the same time as others. There are no Minyanim at YISE at this time.
* Light Candles by 7:56, and not before Plag, 6:45
Ashkenazi: 6:30, 7:00, 8:00 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
If you Daven Kabbalos Shabbos/Maariv prior to Shkia (8:14 PM), it is preferable to Daven Mincha prior to Plag (6:45 PM).
* Shacharis: Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:55 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:55
* Shabbos ends: 9:02
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list, go to https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Sunday 9:00 AM/Monday through Friday 8:30 AM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:30 PM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, will resume May 27.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact firstname.lastname@example.org Zoom B.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps, Zoom C.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom I.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings, 7:30 PM, Zoom H.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info. contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com 347-869-9361.
* For Men & Women – Zoom D (except as noted):
* Mondays: Rabbi E. Gayer – A to Z of Jewish Living
* Mondays: Rabbi H. Shaps, On the Same Page Gemara, Zoom C.
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Grossman – Parshas Hashavua
* For Women – Zoom E:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An in-depth analysis
* Tuesdays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Bereishis in-Depth
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver. For more information, please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: firstname.lastname@example.org or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: email@example.com – Zoom A.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM, Zoom F.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, "A Second Look- Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", Zoom G. Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
* Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
* Zoom B: ID: 784 431 8176
* Zoom C: ID: 349 754 2180, password GWCK
* Zoom D: ID: 746 455 2195, password GWCK
* Zoom E: ID: 601 853 4021, password Winter
* Zoom F: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
* Zoom G: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
* Zoom H: ID: 269 840 3648, password 8tCqF6
* Zoom I: ID: 834 8407 1267, password RabbiHyatt
YISE Programs and Listings
Annual YISE Election Meeting – Tuesday, May 19, 8:00 PM on Zoom A.
Ruth, Boaz, Yibum and the Mashiach – The YISE Women's Learning Initiative presents Pre-Shavuot learning for women with Mrs. Sharon Freundel. Sunday, May 24, 4:00 PM on Zoom A.
Shomrai Preschool 2020-2021 – Online registration is now open for children ages 2 to 5 years old with customizable extended care options from 7:30 AM to 6:00 PM. Visit preschool.yise.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to schedule a tour. Ask about our special, deeply reduced tuition for incoming 2-year-olds!
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this muchneeded medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT”L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Community Programs & Listings
A Time for Unity – Special Sunday Evening Lecture Series – As we look forward to Shavuot – the Season of the Giving of our Torah – let us come together and find inspiration in the words of the Torah. Chabad of Silver Spring will be hosting distinguished rabbis again this year during the weeks between Pesach and Shavuot. This week's speaker: Rabbi Berel Wolvovsky of Chabad, Sunday, May 17, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM. Zoom link: https://zoom.us/j/99088655463?pwd=RGEzNDdWWURVMGJEYmxVUW13d0p5dz09 Meeting ID: 990-8865-5463 Password: 171659
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at email@example.com to be added to the invite list. Sunday 7:00 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM, Friday 5:45 PM.
The Census Bureau is still hiring for the 2020 Census and expects to resume field operations in June. The hourly pay in Montgomery County, MD, is $29.50. Full-time and part-time positions are available. For more information, call 1-888-480-1639 or visit www.2020Census.gov/jobs
High Risk: Stories of Pregnancy, Birth, and the Unexpected – Join us on Tuesday, May 19, at 8:00 PM on Zoom as Dr. Chavi Eve Karkowsky, formerly of Kemp Mill, shares why she felt compelled to write her book, why she believes women's health is human health, and what it's like to be a high-risk OB/GYN health care provider during the COVID-19 crisis in NY, and some behind-the-scenes secrets. If you have any questions, please text or email Nancy Karkowsky at 301-452-9322 or firstname.lastname@example.org Meeting ID: 886 2209 9437
MES Rebbetzins Panel II – The Mikvah Emunah Society of Greater Washington presents: ALL TOGETHER: A Virtual Community Gathering of Women, Wednesday, May 20, at 8:00 PM. Join us for an evening of questions and answers featuring a panel discussion with 8 community Rebbetzins. Have a question for the Rebbetzins? Send it to email@example.com by May 17. For all women! Zoom information will be available by May 18 – contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, May 20, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password 3671.
Free Webinar on Federal Job Search – “10 Steps to a Federal Job,” by Kathryn Troutman. Friday, May 29, 12 Noon. Although nominally aimed at veterans and their spouses, this webinar should largely be relevant to others. This webinar is likely to fill up quickly, so don't wait to register. Register at: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/104640350104
Understanding the 2nd Day of Yom-Tov of the Diaspora: A Pre-Shavuos Learning Program with GWCK – Sunday, May 24, on Zoom. 10:45 AM: Small group learning led by GWCK Staff with special men's and women's tracks. 11:45 AM: Guest Speaker, Rabbi Yerachmiel Fried, Rosh Kollel, DATA and noted author of Sefer Yom Tov Sheni K'Hilchaso. Registration required at gwckollel.org/shavuos
Partners in Tefillah matches people with others in need of similar assistance from Hashem. The feedback we have received so far has been amazing. You, too, can Daven for someone else in the community and have them Daven for you. May Hashem answer all your prayers. Please visit www.yadyehuda.org/partners-in-tefillah to learn more and to sign up.
Community Website for COVID-19 www.covidgw.com In an effort to simplify access to the plethora of available resources for COVID-19 assistance and information, Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington has created a stand-alone website that includes a wide range of resources for the Greater Washington Jewish community. Please visit covidgw.com
Information on the site is culled from many volunteers and sources from within our community. New information is being added regularly; please visit often to view updated information and resources. May we all merit Hashem's mercy during this challenging time. Please note: If you need assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out by visiting covidgw.com If you are not currently experiencing financial challenges, please consider a donation to assist others who are struggling during this crisis.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click “Sign Up.”
Kemp Mill Village is providing friendly phone calls and limited deliveries during the pandemic. Call 1-833-KMV-20902 to request service or to volunteer. See kempmillvillage.org for more information.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Friday, May 22 – Yom Yerushalayim
No Minyanim will take place at YISE next week. You are encouraged to Daven at home at your regular Minyan time.
Mincha was scheduled for May 17 – May 21 at 8:05 PM (Ashkenazi)/8:00 PM (Sephardi).
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 4:52 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:26 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:42 PM
May 22 – 23, 2020 – 29 Iyar 5780
Light Candles: Friday by 8:02
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday May 20 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330 Eruv line: 301-593-5561
E-Mail: email@example.com Website: www.yise.org
Office Hours: Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM. Friday – 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Our current inability to Daven with a Minyan and to say Kaddish is difficult and a challenge. However, sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrtzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Sunday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Chumash Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Silver's Tuesday Evening Parsha Shiur
* Rabbi Silver's Daily Chizuk Dose on WhatsApp
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The Pre-Shabbos Drasha video is available for sponsorship at $54.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to sponsor.
Thank you for your support.
Thank You to this past week's Shiurim Sponsors:
Rabbi Rosenbaum's morning and evening Tehillim/Shiur
* Chayie & Rabbi Hirsh Chinn L'iluy nishmas Chayie's mother – Eidel Vitte bas Yoel, whose 5th Yahrtzeit is on Yud Tes Iyar, and in honor of all the tremendous work that the Shul's Rabbonim are doing
* Simi & Sammy Franco in honor of their mothers, Dottie Franco and Janet Rottenberg, and their daughter Luna Perez, and daughters-in-law Jessi Franco, Hadassah Franco and Elisheva Franco for mothering their grandkids.
* Shirley Sperling to commemorate the Yahrtzeit of her sister-in-law, Frieda Sperling, Frieda bas Tzvi Dov
* Abby & Chaim Tor to commemorate Chaim's father's 25th Yahrtzeit, Yosef ben Daniel V'Rivka, Z"L Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday morning Mussar Shiur
* Atara & Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum in honor of Mrs. Judy Rosenbaum (Happy Mother's Day!) Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* Margie and Michael Hourwitz in honor of Rabbi Tuvia Grauman for continuing Rabbi Hyatt's tradition of exceptional teaching and Jay Parness and Scott Schlesinger for their incredible dedication and support
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday morning Nach Shiur
* Lois and Sidney Meyers
* The Price Family to commemorate the 8th Yahrtzeit, Yud Tet Iyar, of Dr. Clifton Price, Akiva ben Avraham. Rabbi Rosenbaum's Men's Gemara Shiur
* Bev Morris & Art Boyars in honor of Rabbi Rosenbaum
* Rochelle & Lew Wertenteil Rabbi Silver's Daily Chizuk Shiur
* The Price Family to commemorate the 8th Yahrtzeit, Yud Tet Iyar, of Dr. Clifton Price, Akiva ben Avraham. Rabbi Rosenbaum's Erev Shabbos Parsha Drasha
* Bev Morris and Art Boyars in memory of Raphael Ostrovsky, brother of Mrs. Judy Morris
* Bev Morris and Art Boyars to mark the 8th Yahrtzeit of Dr. Clifton Price, husband of Mrs. Barbara Price
* Debbie and Jeff Weinstein and Family in honor of Lily's 12th birthday