Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
June 17 – 18, 2022 – 19 Sivan 5782 – Parshas Behaaloscha
Light Candles by 8:18 – Havdalah 9:26
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by the Edeson & Stern Families on the Yahrzeit of our good & dear friend, Khava Knizhnik, Chava Leeba Bas Shaya, Z"L, on the 18th of Sivan, and on the Yahrzeit of our beloved great uncle, Leib Idesis, Layb Ben Moshe Sholom, Z"L, on the 25th of Sivan,
and anonymously to honor Judy & Stuart Rosenthal for elevating and educating our community through the Meaningful Tefilah Project, a source of continuing creative and diverse programs.
* Gila & Rabbi Myron Wakschlag on the birth of a grandson, Yakov Yehudah, born to their children Naomi and Matt Lubin of Baltimore. Mazel tov to big brother Matanel Yair, Savta Raba Judith Halpern, and to all the aunts, uncles, and cousins.
* Mindy & Meier Kotek on the Bar Mitzvah of their son Mikey. Mazal Tov also to his siblings, Dena, Josh, and Yoni; grandparents, Luiz & Gabi Kotek and Eva & Gabor Rosenberg; and to the entire Kotek and Rosenberg families.
* Fran Broder on the passing of her mother, Glicka Creeger, and Moshe Broder on the passing of his grandmother. Fran is observing Shiva at 3115 Shelburne Road, Baltimore, MD, through Thursday morning.. Fran may be reached during Shiva at 240-603-3726. Shacharis Sunday, 8:00 AM. No visitors 12 Noon – 1:30 PM and 5:00 PM – 7:00 PM. All visitors should be masked and vaccinated.
* The family of Karen & Allan Franco on the loss of Karen's father, Dr. I. Norman Sporn. Shiva was observed in Richmond, Virginia. Please contact Karen for a list of charities that the family would like donations to be sent to.
Minyan locations are listed as B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall. LBM = Large Beis Medrash, SBM = Small Beis Medrash, H = The House
* Light Candles by 8:18, and not before 7:03
* Mincha: 6:45 (Plag, S), 7:20 (B), 8:20 (B), 7:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen Minyan, H)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:00 (B), 8:15 (B), 8:10 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 9:26
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 9:15 Minyan Rabbi Postelnek
* Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura Rabbi Postelnek
* Shiur after Mincha Rabbi Rosenbaum
* Hashkamah Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by Elliot Goodman in celebration of his second Bar Mitzvah.
* The YISE Shul Kiddush is sponsored in honor of this year's Graduates. See attached list of honored Graduates.
* Any person eligible for a fully FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine (16 years of age or older), but who chooses to not be vaccinated may attend YISE Minyanim and events with the following guidelines. Unvaccinated individuals must remain masked at all times while in the Shul building, including at Kiddushes and/or other events containing food. Masks may not be removed to eat or drink. Exceptions will be made for private functions being held at the Shul, but that are not Shul sponsored events.
* Anyone with any of the following symptoms should not come to shul: fever of 100.4 degrees or higher, chills, muscle aches, sore throat, severe cough, headache, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue, congestion or runny nose, or new loss of sense of taste or smell. If you have tested positive for COVID, you should follow the CDC guidelines.
* Masks are now optional for vaccinated adults and for children under 16.
* There are no social distancing requirements in the YISE building.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
YISE Youth Announcements
Shabbos Groups this Shabbos, June 18, from 10:00 AM until Shul ends. Age 18-36 months (Mommy & me) in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 2-5 years (drop off) in the room behind the balcony. Ages 6-9 years will meet at Shomrai and walk over to the Yeshiva. For more information, contact Debbie Katz at at firstname.lastname@example.org
Calling All Rising 6th Grade Boys!! Starting this Shabbos, June 18, Rabbi Rosenbaum will be learning weekly with rising 6th grade boys one hour before Mincha in the YISE Social Hall. Bring your hard questions! Refreshments will be served.
Teen Minyan will end for the summer this week, June 18, and will resume in late August. Please stay tuned for updates.
YISE Programs and Listings
Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura – A weekly Chabura in the Nesivos Shalom on the Parsha. Delve into the deeper dimensions of the Parsha and Holidays by learning the Nesivos Shalom's weekly insights. Begins at 8:55 AM Shabbos mornings in the Social Hall. This Shiur will be given by Rabbi Postelnek.
Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur – Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman will give the Gemara Shiur after the Hashkamah Minyan Kiddush, learning Maseches Sanhedrin, in the Small Beis Medrash.
Seeing the Hand of Hashem…In Daily Life – Presented by the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project. Next lecture, "Seeing the Hand of Hashem in Daily Life," with Mrs. Sharon Freundel on Sunday, June 24, 10:30 AM on Zoom A. Recordings at wp.yise.org/hand-of-hashem See flyer for details.
Come Join Rabbi Koss's Monthly Jewish History class on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee: Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, July 4, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom A. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com
Kiddush Volunteers Needed! As we return to a regular schedule of Kiddushes, volunteers are needed from ALL Minyanim to help set up and clean up for Kiddushes on Shabbos morning. Times vary. Let us know when you are available. Contact Barbara Price at 301-332-8181.
Shomrai Preschool is Expanding and seeking lead teachers and assistant teachers for the 2022-2023 school year. Candidates should be flexible, nurturing, and enjoy working with young children. Shomrai Preschool offers a collaborative, supportive, and growth-oriented work environment. To learn more about the position or program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org To apply, send a resume and references to email@example.com
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Thank you to the Shiurim Sponsors for this Past Week:
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in memory of Rabbi Hyatt, Z"L, and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur.
* Zvi Malin in memory of his grandmother, Selma Miller, Sima Zelda Bas Chayim, whose Yahrzeit is the 3rd of Sivan.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha/Halacha Shiur
* Jay Rogal and Debbie Rogal in memory of Jay's mother and Debbie's grandmother, Belle Rogal, whose Yahrzeit is the 11th of Sivan.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Navi Shiur
* Chana Hollander in loving memory of her father, Chaim Ben Yehuda Leib, A"H, whose Yahrzeit is on the 18th of Sivan.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Monday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
* Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur, Shabbos Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The 8:45 and 9:15 Shabbos Drashas are both available for sponsorship at $54 each.
4. Yom Tov Drasha Sponsorships are $72 each.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday, 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:00 PM, Zoom A, will not meet on Sunday, June 19.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Mishlei, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM breakfast, 9:45 AM, will not take place on Sunday, June 19. Shiurim:
* Illuminating Inquiries in Halacha – Rabbi Yitzchak Mandel
* Judaism 102: Fundamentals for the Experienced Jew – Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Navigating Navi: Sefer Yehoshua – Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Parsha Perspectives: An Exploration of Engaging Parsha Topics – Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info., contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same Page Gemara – in person in the Social Hall
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Reading Responsa – Zoom D.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom H.
* For Women – Zoom I
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter, is on summer break.
* SCP (Semichat Chaver Program) – Tuesdays at 8:45 PM. Join the fastest growing Halacha learning program in the world! Now back in person at YISE. Register at gwckollel.org/scp
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy's Gemara Shiur, Masechet Chulin, Sunday through Friday, 6:35 AM – 7:20 AM, in the Franco Beit Midrash.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurim for men & women, Mondays at 9:00 AM, studying Parashas Hashavua, Zoom B
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", Zoom E, is on summer break.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Bava Kama 9th Perek Merubah. Wednesday evenings, 7:30 PM on Zoom G.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 833 3477 1595, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom E: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom F: ID: 349 754 2180, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
Zoom H: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
Zoom I: ID: 601 853 4021, password Winter
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org: Sponsor name, birthday or anniversary date, name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
Community Programs & Listings
Mishnayos in Memory of David Finkelstein – Sign up for Mishnayos learning in memory of David Finkelstein, Z"L, at: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zK45Pqg3GlL7a3VTTlMejDkBGorgQZJGMk7hkullxYg/edit?usp=drivesdk
The Hidden Lessons of the Weekly Parasha – Rabbi Yehoshua Levy is hosting a new class for women only, approximately 10:30 AM – 11:00 AM each Shabbat, in the YISE Franco Family Beit Midrash, following Sephardi Minyan Shacharit. Class is held when at least 2 ladies are present.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, June 22, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Beyond Waters of Eden: The Centrality of Water in Jewish Art and Texts with Nomi Schneck, PhD candidate, Department of Art & Archaeology, Princeton University, and Liz Diament, museum educator. For women and girls age 12 and up, Tuesday, June 28, 8:30 PM on Zoom. This is the second event from the Robin Niman Mikvah Education Fund of the Mikvah Emunah Society with support from the OU Women's Initiative Challenge Grant 2022 for Innovative Women's Programming – Women's Unity Series, Engaging and Connecting Women in our Community at All Ages and Stages of Life.
12th Yad Zlata Yahrzeit Commemoration Concert of Super Stars – Thursday, July 7, 7:00 PM at the Berman Hebrew Academy. Largest Jewish concert in Washington, tribute to Zlata Geisinsky, OB"M. An inspiring evening of beautiful music in tribute to a noble teacher. After 2 years, the music is finally back! (Huge auditorium scattered seating available.) Featuring Yoni Z, guest appearance by Boruch Sholom, accompanied by Yossi Shtendig Orchestra. RSVP now at www.TYZlata.com or 240-200-4515.
YGW Kollel Zichron Amram Machshava – Probing Jewish Thought Through the Works of Rav Yitzchak Hutner, ZT"L, with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold, Rosh Kollel, Sundays at 8:00 PM on Zoom, Meeting ID: 825 0731 6850, Passcode: 1216613. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
Michtav M'Eliyahu: Thought and Perspective of Rav Eliyahu Dessler – Join Rabbi Yosef Musicante as he begins to explore Rav Dessler's perspectives on Kabbalas Hatorah – Receiving the Torah! Mondays – 8:30 PM at SEHC, 10900 Lockwood Drive and on Zoom, Meeting ID: 279 256 7843 Password: Learn
Dirshu – Please join Dirshu, which began Bava Metzia on December 20. Shiur options at YGW: Monday – Friday, 5:45 AM (R. Reingold) or Monday – Thursday, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM (R. Cortell/R. Werner). About 2.5 Daf covered each week.
Parsha Explorations with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Presented by the Greater Washington Community Kollel and Kemp Mill Synagogue, Sunday evenings, 7:30 PM at KMS and on Zoom, Meeting ID: 655 813 1022, Passcode: 365636. For men and women.
TGN Program: Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Siddur with Mrs. Esther Dziadek, Wednesday mornings, 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM, on Zoom B. For more information call 301-732-1773 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments, shopping, etc. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. COVID-19 precautions are followed for the health of drivers and riders. Contact email@example.com, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more info.
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? IZUN is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Go to https://getizun.org or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online weekdays via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at email@example.com to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM. Shabbos in-person 1-1/2 hours before the main YISE Mincha, at the Yeshiva.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 3:59 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 4:39 AM, Latest Netz: 5:44 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:25 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:49 PM, Earliest Shkia: 8:36 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim 9:27 PM
June 24 – 25, 2022 – 26 Sivan 5782
Parshas Shlach/Mevorchim Hachodesh
* Light Candles by 8:19, but not before 7:04
* Mincha: 6:45 (Plag, S), 7:20 (B), 8:20 (B), 7:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:00 (B), 8:05 (B), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 9:27
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, June 22 at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 Email: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM,
Friday: 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager