Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
May 31 – June 1, 2019 – 27 Iyar 5779 – Parshas Bechukosai
Light Candles by 8:09 – Havdalah 9:16
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387
* Terumah & BenZion Kugler invite the community to a Vort, in honor of the engagement of their son Shlomo to Devora Rotkopf daughter of Yocheved & Dan Rotkopf of Monsey, NY. The Vort will take place on Sunday, June 2, from 5:30 PM – 7:30 PM at the home of Dan & Valerie Kugler, 11602 Fillmore Drive.
* Dina & Michael Rosenof on the birth of a daughter, Aviva Masha.
* Light Candles by 8:09, and not before 6:55
Ashkenazi: 6:40, 7:10, 8:10 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 8:05 Sephardi: 7:50 Nusach Sefard: 8:05
* Shabbos Ends: 9:16
* 8:00, 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 9:15 Rabbi Yitzhak Szyf
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – by The Myriad of Friends of Elliot Goodman in honor of his Special Birthday.
* Sephardi Minyan – "Sephardic Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – Dina & Michael Rosenof in honor of the birth of their daughter, Aviva Masha, on April 29.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur 9:00 AM, Rabbi's Study.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 7:05 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Pirkei Avos Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash, will resume June 11.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the balcony, will resume June 19.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, in the Social Hall. Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Sage Wisdom with Rabbi Moshe Sadwin
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays at 7:35 PM in the Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics, will not take place on June 4.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An in-depth analysis.
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver in the Small Social Hall. For more information please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: email@example.com or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM, in the Social Hall.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? Appreciating Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Kesubos, Wednesdays, will not meet on June 5, 12 or 19.
YISE Programs and Listings
We welcome new members who were voted in at the last Board meeting: David & Dr. Tamara Goodman
Beautification with Flowers – Thank you to Stuart Cohen and Debbie Rogal for their hard work planting flowers next to the Shul. Thank you to Max & Debbie Rudmann for sponsoring the flowers.
Toddler Room Renovation – This Shabbos, toddlers are invited to come for a story time in honor of the Grand Opening of the newly renovated toddler room! Join us for a story from 10:15AM -10:30 AM and stay and play until the Main Minyan Kiddush. Children must be supervised by an adult at all times. Please help us keep the toddler room safe and clean. See you then!
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, June 3, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W. in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For more info, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or email@example.com
"Shavuos: Recognition of G-d Versus Knowledge of G-d" – Pre-Shavuos Shiur at YISE with Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky, Rosh Hayeshiva of the Yeshiva of Greater Washington. Tuesday, June 4 in the Small Social Hall. Mincha 7:45 PM, Shiur 8:00 PM, followed by Maariv. See flyer for details.
Senior Lunch – Wednesday, June 5, 12 Noon, Social Hall. Dr. Alan Breitler, Great Scientists, Part 2 "Sir Isaac Newton"
YISE Women's Learning Initiative presents Erev Shavuos learning for women, Shabbos, June 8 at 5:30 PM in the Belonofsky Sanctuary. Renowned educator Mrs. Sharon Freundel will speak on "Aseres HaDibros in Poetry and Prose." For more information, contact Judy Rosenthal, firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
Tikkun Leil Shavuos – Sunday, June 9, Shiurim starting at midnight, followed by "Netz" Shacharis. See flyer for details.
Scholar-in-Residence – YISE Community Adult Education Project welcomes Rabbi Ari Marburger, Shabbos, June 15. See flyer for details.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program is a service to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. By signing up, you are not committing to help with anything specific. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in qthe youth rooms behind the Balcony. 1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
On the Wings of Eagles – Special Youth Shabbos Program, Shabbos, June 8. See flyer for details.
Shavuos Groups – 2-5 year-olds will meet on the 1st day of Shavuos, Sunday, June 9. All groups will meet on the 2nd day of Shavuos, Monday, June 10.
A Sundae on Monday! – Join YISE Youth for our annual Shavuos Ice Cream Social. 2nd day of Shavuos, Monday, June 10, 4:30 PM – 5:30 PM in the YISE Social Hall. See flyer for details.
Community Programs and Listings
Tzurba M'Rabanan learning group meets every Shabbos. Men's group at 3:30 PM at the home of Moshe & Rose Litwack, 11302 Monticello Ave. Women's group at 4:45 PM at the home of Josh & Mickie Breitstein, 1215 North Belgrade Road.
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – will not meet on June 1 or 8.
A Time for Unity! – Special Shabbos afternoon speaker series. As we look forward to Shavuos, let us come together and find inspiration in the words of the Torah. Chabad of Silver Spring will be hosting distinguished Rabbis during the weeks between Pesach and Shavuos. This Shabbos, June 1, Rabbi Yankel Greiniman, Silver Spring Jewish Center. All Shiurim at Chabad, 519 Lamberton Drive, 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM. Women and men are invited.
Kemp Mill Community Day – Sponsored by the Kemp Mill Civic Association Sunday, June 2, 12 noon – 4:00 PM in the Kemp Mill Shopping Center. This event will be a day of community, food and family-friendly fun. This free community based festival will feature music, a bounce house, kids activities, entertainment, concessions and fun for all ages. Local business and artisans will be there to highlight the goods and services they have to offer the community.
Post High School Girls Shiur – Tuesday nights, 8:30 PM at the Pepper home, 1101 North Belgrade Road. will not take place on June 4.
Celebrate 20 years of Inclusion with Sulam – Tuesday, June 4, 6:00 PM at the Hilton Washington DC/Rockville Hotel and Executive Meeting Center. Celebrating our Educational Leadership Team; Dr. Debra Drang, Laura Hardy, Nancy Kohl, Dr. Rachel Ravin and Rachel Sushner, and our Young Leadership – Dan & Dr. Meredith Kapner, Dr. Edwin & Miriam Zaghi and David & Tamar Volosov. To RSVP or learn more: www.sulam.org/gala
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, June 5, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com for more info.
Zichron Menachem Hair Drive – Donate 12" of your beautiful hair to a child with cancer! Choose an appointment for a free cut. Appointments available on the day after Shavuos, Tuesday, June 11, at Progressions, 12211 Nebel St., Rockville – 4:30 PM – 5:30 PM. To make an appointment, email "Hair" to firstname.lastname@example.org
L'chaim for the Mayim – Please do not shlep out, but instead support the important community work of the Mikvah Emunah Society, by staying home and taking part in the world's largest virtual "L'chaim for the Mayim"! To find out more or to "RSVP", visit www.mikvahemunah.com
"A Summer Sensation" – presented by the Torah School of Greater Washington Girls Choirs and La Zooz Dance. A collaborative performance of music and dance, for women and girls only. Sunday, June 16, 10:30 AM at Northwood High School, 919 University Blvd West. Tickets are available for purchase in advance at www.lazoozdance.com For more information, email email@example.com
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nazir. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more info, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daf Yomi Shiur meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before the YISE late Mincha.
Dirshu Mishnah Brurah – Beginning Monday, April 29, Dirshu Mishnah Brurah begins Chelek Daled with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Learn the Halachos of Eruvin and Techumin. Finish the Chelek in eleven months! Monday through Thursday at YISE after Maariv. For more information contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services or to volunteer.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday, June 2 * Yom Yerushalayim Monday June 3 Tuesday, June 4 – Rosh Chodesh Wednesday June 5 Thursday June 6 Friday June 7
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Ashkenazi 8:15 8:15 8:15 8:15 8:15 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 8:10 8:10 8:10 8:10 8:10
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 4:40 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:24 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:45 PM
* Sunday, June 2 – Yom Yerushalayim – The Second Ashkenazi Minyan will meet at 7:30 with special additions.
The remainder of the Shacharis Minyanim will meet at their regular times, without special additions.
June 7 – 8, 2019 – 5 Sivan 5779
Light Candles: Friday by 8:13 – Havdalah: 9:21
* Light Candles by 8:13, and not before 6:59
Ashkenazi: 6:40, 7:15, 8:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 8:10 Sephardi: 7:55 Nusach Sefard: 8:10
* Shavuos: 9:21
Wednesday, June 5 Senior Lunch, 12 Noon, Social Hall
Sunday, June 9 Tikkun Leil Shavuos – Midnight
Monday, June 10 Ice Cream Social – 4:30 PM – 5:30 PM
Shabbos, June 15 Rabbi Ari Marburger, Scholar-in-Residence
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, June 5 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday: 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager