Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
May 27 – 28, 2022 – 27 Iyar 5782 – Parshas Bechukosai/Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 8:06 – Havdalah 9:13
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Robin & Lawton Cooper in honor of the marriage of their son Rafi to Tamar Gold of Yerushalayim
and by Jodi & David Mazel in loving memory of David's mother, Irene Mazel, Chaya bas Zev, Z"L, on the occasion of her first Yahrzeit on the 27th of Iyar.
* Tamar & Bitsu Balay on the Bar Mitzvah of their son Omer. Mazal Tov also to siblings Lenoy and Shirel and grandparents Edna & Avrahm Tazazo and grandmother Pnina Balay and to the entire family.
* Tzivia Bramson on the birth of a great-grandson, Eliezer Milstein, son of Chanie & Yitzi and grandson of Libby Waidenbaum.
* Robin & Lawton Cooper and family on Rafi's marriage this week to Tamar Gold of Yerushalayim, daughter of Dr. Ruth Gershen and Rabbi Hillel Gold. Special Mazal Tov to Rafi's grandmother, Francine Cooper of Yerushalayim.
* Vivian & Arnie Kirshenbaum on the marriage of their grandchildren Ayala & Dovi Garfinkel.Mazal Tov to the Garfinkel and Bokor Families. The wedding took place in Jerusalem.
* Arleeta & Rabbi Ivan Lerner on the engagement of their grandson, Yehuda Simcha, son of Tamar & Rabbi Michoel Lerner (Kiryat Sefer), to Tzippy Berkovits, daughter of Naomi & Rav Yitzchak Berkovits. Mazal Tov also to grandmother Ilene Miller.
* Leah & Yaacov Monzon on the birth of their daughter, Hana Haviva.
* Noah Roitman on the marriage of his granddaughter, Daniella Bardack, daughter of Eti & Paul Roitman Bardack, to Alan Tarrab. Daniella is a member of the human resources office of the US Department of Defense, and Alan is a high school math teacher in Loudoun County, VA. May they be blessed in all they do.
* Marilyn Edeson on the passing of her husband, Morris Edeson. Shiva is being observed at 1301 Heather Crest Terrace, through Sunday morning. Shacharis on Sunday at 8:00 AM. The family requests attendees at the Minyanim wear masks.
* Elaine Taragin on the passing of her husband, Jerry Taragin, and David, Linda Gardner, Deborah Marizan and Mitch on the passing of their father. Shiva is being observed at 1005 Kenbrook Drive. Shacharis: Sunday/Monday: 8:00 AM, Tuesday: 6:45 AM, Wednesday: 7:00 AM, Thursday: 6:45 AM. Mincha/Maariv Sunday through Wednesday: 8;15 PM. Visitors Motzei Shabbos Maariv 9:15 PM – 11:00 PM, Sunday through Wednesday 10:00 AM – 12:00 Noon, 1:30 PM – 5:30 PM and 7:00 PM – 10:00 PM. Mishnayos Signup at https://www.lzechernishmas.com/signup.php?id=10553
Minyan locations are listed as B = Belonofsky Sanctuary,
S = Social Hall. LBM = Large Beis Medrash, SBM = Small Beis Medrash, H = The House
* Light Candles by 8:06, and not before 6:52
* Mincha: 6:35 (Plag, S), 7:10 (B), 8:10 (B), 7:15 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:30 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen Minyan, H)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:00 (B), 8:05 (B), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 9:13
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Postelnek
* 9:15 Minyan Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Shabbos Morning Gemara Shiur for men Rabbi Yonatan Gorin
* Pirkei Avos Shiur after Mincha Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Hashkamah Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by Elliot Goodman, Lew Sosnowik, Jonathan Fine, Rabbi Binyamin Sanders, Cantor Ben Bazian, Michael Hourwitz, Chaim Neustadter, Yale Ginsburg, Alan Zimmerman and Joe Gamson in celebration of Scott Schlesinger's memorable birthday (which adds up to "11") and in everlasting appreciation of the 2-plus years of Kiddushes in Lew's driveway (and for some in Anne & Scott's as well) to get us through COVID.
* 8:45/9:15/Sephardic Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by Tamar & Bitsu Balay in honor of their son Omer's Bar Mitzvah.
* Effective this Shabbos, any person eligible for a fully FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine (16 years of age or older), but who chooses to not be vaccinated may attend YISE Minyanim and events with the following guidelines. Unvaccinated individuals must remain masked at all times while in the Shul building, including at Kiddushes and/or other events containing food. Masks may not be removed to eat or drink. Exceptions will be made for private functions being held at the Shul, but that are not Shul sponsored events.
* Anyone with any of the following symptoms should not come to shul: fever of 100.4 degrees or higher, chills, muscle aches, sore throat, severe cough, headache, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue, congestion or runny nose, or new loss of sense of taste or smell. If you have tested positive for COVID, you should follow the CDC guidelines.
* Masks are now optional for vaccinated adults and for children under 16.
* There are no social distancing requirements in the YISE building.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary. Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
YISE Youth Announcements
Shabbos Groups this Shabbos, May 28, from 10:00 AM until Shul ends. Age 18-36 months (Mommy & me) in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 2-5 years will NOT meet this Shabbos. Ages 6-9 years will meet at Shomrai and walk over to the Yeshiva. For more information, contact Debbie Katz at at email@example.com
Pre-Shavuos Ice Cream Sundaes and Seudah Shlishit with Mrs. Aliza Postelnek on Shabbos, June 4, 5:45 PM, at the home of Sivan Jacobson, 712 Horton Drive. For girls in grades 6 – 8. Join friends for Torah discussions, singing, socializing and delicious food. See flyer for details.
Youth Shavuos Night Learning with Rabbi Rosenbaum for boys in grades 4 – 6, Shavuos night, 12 midnight – 1:00 AM in the Social Hall. See flyer for details.
High School boys learning with Rabbi Holzer at 4:00 AM on the 1st night of Shavuos at The House, followed by Shacharis. There will not be a 9:15 Teen Minyan on the 1st day, only the early Minyan.
Shavuos Family Hop – Second day of Shavuos, Monday, June 6, 3:30 PM – 5:00 PM. See flyer for details.
YISE Programs and Listings
Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura – A weekly Chabura in the Nesivos Shalom on the Parsha. Delve into the deeper dimensions of the Parsha and Holidays by learning the Nesivos Shalom's weekly insights. Begins at 8:55 AM Shabbos mornings in the Social Hall. This Shiur will be given by Rabbi Moshe Holzer.
Shabbos Morning Gemara Shiur – Rabbi Yonatan Gorin will give the new Shabbos Morning Gemara Shiur after the Hashkamah Minyan Kiddush, learning Maseches Sanhedrin, in the Small Beis Medrash, beginning this Shabbos.
Yom Yerushalayim – In honor of Yom Yerushalayim, Sunday, May 29, the 2nd Shacharis Minyan, 7:30 AM, will include special additions.
Celebrate Service to Our Country – Why do Jews decide to serve? A virtual panel of present and past service members explain why they joined, how their lives changed, and how their lives as Jews were tested and strengthened. Monday, May 30, 6:30 PM on Zoom A. Organized by the YISE Social Committee. See flyer for details.
Ask the Rabbi – Come join our virtual, interactive monthly program featuring different Halachic topics! This month's topic: Travel. The first 45 minutes is for Shailos submitted in advance and the last 15 minutes is for Q & A. Send in your questions about Travel to:
AskTheRabbi@yise.org by Sunday, May 29. The program will take place on Tuesday, May 31, 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM on Zoom A. For more information and to submit questions by phone or anonymously, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org To sponsor the program, please contact the YISE office. See flyer for details.
Shavuos Night – We are excited to hold our Shavuos Night Learning Schedule for the first time in three years! See flyer for details.
Shavuos Women's Dessert – Sunday, June 5, 4:00 PM, in the backyard of The House. See flyer for details.
Kiddush Volunteers Needed! As we return to a regular schedule of Kiddushes, volunteers are needed from ALL Minyanim to help set up and clean up for Kiddushes on Shabbos morning. Times vary. Let us know when you are available. Contact Barbara Price at 301-332-8181.
Kashrus in the Kitchen – Learn the background and practical laws of Kashrus. Tuesdays, 8:15 PM – 9:00 PM, at the home of David & Tamara Goodman: 11611 Kemp Mill Road. Given by Rabbi Postelnek. For questions or to join the WhatsApp group, contact Rabbi Postelnek at 571-340-0227 or email@example.com Recordings available at https://wp.yise.org/kashrus-kitchen
Seeing the Hand of Hashem…In History – Presented by the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project. Next lecture, "Seeing the Hand of Hashem in History," with Rabbi Yitzchak Breitowitz on Sunday, June 12, 10:30 AM on Zoom A. Recordings at wp.yise.org/hand-of-hashem See flyer for details.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Thank you to the Shiurim Sponsors for this Past Week:
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in memory of Rabbi Hyatt, Z"L, and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha/Halacha Shiur
* Menachem, Chaim and Yosef Frenkel L'aliyas Haneshama Moshe Shalom Ben Yosef Nasan, Z"L, Morris Edeson
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday, 9:30 AM, Zoom A
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:00 PM, Zoom A, will not meet on Monday, May 30 and Tuesday, May 31. The Shiur is now studying Shemiras Shabbos Kehilchosoh.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A, will resume on Sunday, June 12.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Mishlei, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM breakfast, 9:45 AM Shiurim.
* Illuminating Inquiries in Halacha – Rabbi Yitzchak Mandel
* Judaism 102: Fundamentals for the Experienced Jew – Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Navigating Navi: Sefer Yehoshua – Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Parsha Perspectives: An Exploration of Engaging Parsha Topics – Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info., contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same Page Gemara – in person in the Social Hall.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Reading Responsa – Zoom D.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom H.
* For Women – Zoom I
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Special pre-Shavuos presentation on May 30, "Sara, Ruth, David, and Me"
* SCP (Semichat Chaver Program) – Tuesdays at 8:45 PM. Join the fastest growing Halacha learning program in the world! Now back in person at YISE. Register at gwckollel.org/scp
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy's Gemara Shiur, Masechet Chulin, Sunday through Friday, 6:35 AM – 7:20 AM, in the Franco BeitMidrash.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurim for men & women, Mondays at 9:00 AM, studying Parashas Hashavua, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", Zoom E.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Bava Kama 9th Perek Merubah. Wednesday evenings, 7:30 PM on Zoom G.Note new time.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 833 3477 1595, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom E: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom F: ID: 349 754 2180, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
Zoom H: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
Zoom I: ID: 601 853 4021, password Winter
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Monday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The 8:45 and 9:15 Shabbos Drashas are both available for sponsorship at $54 each.
4. Yom Tov Drasha Sponsorships are $72 each.
Please email email@example.com to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org: Sponsor name, birthday or anniversary date, name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
Community Programs & Listings
A Time for Unity! – Special speaker series at Chabad of Silver Spring, 519 Lamberton Drive, Shabbos afternoons at 6:30 PM. This week's speaker will be Rabbi Michoel Frank, Ohr HaTorah.
Chavrei HaSiyum Siyum Mishnayos – Join over 40 community members celebrating a Siyum, with Divrei Torah, singing and food (dairy). Sunday, May 29, 6:30 PM at Silver Spring Jewish Center, 1401 Arcola Avenue. Men's event, children welcome.
Kollel Zichron Amram Federal Holiday Learning Program – "On the dotted line" – Deposits, down payments and penalty clauses: Are they binding according to Halacha? Memorial Day, Monday, May 30, at the YGW Boys Campus. 8:00 AM Davening, 9:00 AM breakfast, 9:30 AM learning, 10:40 AM – 11:20 AM Shiur with Rabbi Michoel Frank, Chaver Kollel and Rav, Ohr HaTorah. For questions, contact Rabbi Mosh Chaim Blate at email@example.com or 240-858-2041.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, June 1, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Zichron Menachem Annual Hair-Raising Event – Get a free haircut and do a Mitzvah at the same time. Tuesday, June 7, after Shavuos, Progressions Salon and Spa, 12211 Nebel Street, Rockville, 4:00 PM – 7:00 PM. Be a hero and donate 12 inches or more of your beautiful hair. To make an appointment, email "hair" to email@example.com For more information, go to www.zichron.org
The Good Book is the annual local Orthodox Jewish directory published in Greater Washington since 1995 by Dr. Bert and Rachelle Miller. They mail the 240-page book for free to all interested Orthodox-affiliated households. Interested households should email their new listing info or updated info to firstname.lastname@example.org The Millers thank you in advance for your participation. (Years ago, Dr. Miller established Shomrai Emunah's Shabbos/Yom Tov Taxi Service.) The deadline for providing information to the Good Book is May 31.
Women's Online Shiur with Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Free 1-hour shiur on Zoom on the first and third Sundays of each month at 8:30 PM (new time). Topic: Eishet Hayil, with principles from Mesilat Yesharim and weekly Sidra. In English. All levels of ability are welcome. You needn't attend every Shiur, but RSVPs are requested. Contact Shiur Coordinator at email@example.com for details.
YGW Kollel Zichron Amram Machshava – Probing Jewish Thought Through the Works of Rav Yitzchak Hutner, ZT"L, with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold, Rosh Kollel, Sundays at 8:00 PM on Zoom, Meeting ID: 825 0731 6850, Passcode: 1216613. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
Michtav M'Eliyahu: Thought and Perspective of Rav Eliyahu Dessler – Join Rabbi Yosef Musicante as he begins to explore Rav Dessler's perspectives on Kabbalas Hatorah – Receiving the Torah! Mondays – 8:30 PM at SEHC, 10900 Lockwood Drive and on Zoom, Meeting ID: 279 256 7843 Password: Learn
Dirshu – Please join Dirshu, which began Bava Metzia on December 20. Shiur options at YGW: Monday – Friday, 5:45 AM (R. Reingold) or Monday – Thursday, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM (R. Cortell/R. Werner). About 2.5 Daf covered each week.
Parsha Explorations with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Presented by the Greater Washington Community Kollel and Kemp Mill Synagogue, Sunday evenings, 7:30 PM at KMS and on Zoom, Meeting ID: 655 813 1022, Passcode: 365636. For men and women.
TGN Program: Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Siddur with Mrs. Esther Dziadek, Wednesday mornings, 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM, on Zoom B. For more information call 301-732-1773 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments, shopping, etc. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. COVID-19 precautions are followed for the health of drivers and riders. Contact email@example.com, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more info.
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? IZUN is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Go to https://getizun.org or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online weekdays via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at email@example.com to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM. Shabbos in-person 1-1/2 hours before the main YISE Mincha, at the Yeshiva.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday, May 29 – Yom Yerushalayim
Monday, May 30 – Memorial Day
Tuesday, May 31 – Rosh Chodesh
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 4:06 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 4:43 AM, Latest Netz: 5:46 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:24 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:44 PM, Earliest Shkia: 8:25 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim 9:18 PM
The full Shavuos schedule will be sent out next week.
June 3 – 4, 2022 – 5 Sivan 5782
* Light Candles by 8:06, but not before 6:57
* Mincha: 6:40 (Plag, S), 7:15 (B), 8:15 (B), 7:15 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:30 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen, H)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:00 (B), 8:10 (B), 8:05 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Light Candles and make Kiddush after: 9:18
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, June 1 at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 Email: email@example.com
Office Hours: Closed Monday (Memorial Day)
Tuesday – Thursday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM,
Friday: 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager