Included in the PDF are the Israel Report, Likutei Torah, Hamaayan and GWCK Shabbos Delights, which are normally available next to the Shabbos Shorts at YISE.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shavuos Shorts
May 14 – 15, 2021 – 4 Sivan 5781 – Bamidbar, Light Candles by 7:55 – Havdalah 9:00
May 16 – 18, 2021 – 6 – 7 Sivan 5781 – Shavuos, Light Candles by 7:57 – Havdalah 9:04
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Tzivia Bramson and family in commemoration of the 2nd Yahrzeit of Rabbi Samuel Bramson, Z"L. and by Vivian & Arnie Kirshenbaum in commemoration of the 11th Yahrzeit of Vivian's father, Rabbi Abraham Morgenstern, Avraham Binyomin ben Menachem Mendel.
* Alan Broder, professor of Computer Science at Yeshiva University, upon his receipt this week of the "Professor of the Year" award, selected by the student body of Stern College for Women.
* Arline & Dr. Irving Katz and Lorraine & Rabbi Sam Vogel of Teaneck, NJ, on the birth of a great-granddaughter, and to Sharona & Shlomo Katz and Deborah & Shlomo Fink of Scranton, PA, on the birth of a granddaughter, born to their children Michal & Moshe Katz of Olney, MD.
* Susan & Rabbi Saul Koss on the birth of a great-granddaughter, Hadassah Gittel, to Devorah & Chezky Guttmann of New York, (R¡¦ Simmy and Miriam Z¡¨L Guttman of Milwaukee grandparents).
* David Mazel on the passing of his mother, Irene Mazel. The funeral took place on Monday in Norfolk, VA. David is observing Shiva through Sunday morning. David may be reached during Shiva at 240-606-0708.
* Shirlee Franco on the passing of her father, Maurice Grazi. Shiva was completed before Shabbos.
Shabbos and Shavuos Schedule
Limited Minyanim are now taking place at YISE under Montgomery County's Phase 2 guidelines. All Minyanim require advance registration and confirmation. If you are interested in attending Minyanim and have not registered, please go to https://www.yise.org/minyan If you are registered for a Minyan and are unable to attend at that time, please do not go to a different Minyan. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* Light Candles by 7:55
* Mincha: 6:25, 7:55, 7:50 (Sephardi)
If you Daven Kabbalas Shabbos prior to Shkia (8:13 PM), it is preferable to Daven Mincha prior to Plag (6:44 PM).
* Shacharis: 7:00, 9:00, 9:30, 8:00 (Sephardi)
* Mincha: 2:30, 5:00, 7:50, 7:50 (Sephardi)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv:9:00
The flowers for Shavuos in the Belonofsky Sanctuary are donated by Karen & Howie Schulman in memory of David Kramer, Dovid Tovia ben HaRav Yechiel Michoel HaLevi, on his 19th Yahrzeit, 1st day of Shavuos.
* Light Candles by 7:57
* Mincha: 8:00
* Kiddush after: 9:01
* Shacharis: 5:20, 7:00, 9:00, 9:30, 8:00 (Sephardi)
* Mincha: 8:00
* Light Candles/Kiddush after: 9:02
* Shacharis: 7:00, 9:00, 9:30, 8:00 (Sephardi)
* Mincha: 8:00
* Yom Tov ends/Maariv: 9:04
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Sunday/Wednesday/Thursday/Friday 8:30 AM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Wednesday/Thursday 7:00 PM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum¡¦s Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum¡¦s Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum¡¦s Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum¡¦s Women¡¦s Navi Shiur, now studying Sefer Yehoshua, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men and Women – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM.
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt¡¦s Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom F.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem¡¦s Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings, Zoom I., will resume May 23.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM (except as noted). For more info. contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com 347-869-9361.
* For Men & Women – Zoom C (except as noted):
* Mondays: (for men only) Rabbi H. Shaps, On the Same Page Gemara, Zoom B., will resume May 24.
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics, will resume May 25.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Grossman – Parshas Hashavua, 9:00 PM.
* For Women – Zoom D, will resume May 24.
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys
* Tuesdays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Bereishis in-Depth
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Hillel Shaps. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps: firstname.lastname@example.org Registration required at gwckollel.org/scp will resume May 24.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart¡¦s Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM, Zoom E, will resume May 25.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher¡¦s Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, ¡§A Second Look-Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective¡¨, Zoom H., will resume May 25.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan¡¦s Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Kiddushin on Wednesday evenings, 7:00 PM, Zoom G.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 349 754 2180, password Learn
Zoom C: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom D: ID: 601 853 4021, password Winter
Zoom E: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom F: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom G: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
Zoom H: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom I: ID: 269 840 3648, password online Pearls, phone 621690
YISE Youth Announcements
Shavuos CandyLand – First day of Shavuos, Monday, May 17, 3:00 PM – 4:30 PM. Ages 2-12. For details and to download map go to: https://wp.yise.org/shavuos-candyland See flyer for details.
Camp Shomrai is back for another fun-filled summer with programming for children in preschool through ninth grade! Camp runs from July 5th through August 13th. For more info or to register online, visit our website at https://campshomrai.org See flyer for details.
* Outdoor Minyan – If you are interested in a Shabbos morning outdoor Minyan without a tent, subject to weather conditions, please email Ari Elias-Bachrach at email@example.com
* Minyan Changes – We are making changes to the Minyan schedule to accommodate as many members as possible. Watch your email for details and make sure to check your email every Friday morning to get your personalized Minyan schedule for the following week. We will have two Zman Minyanim but no Plag Minyan on Shavuos nights. There will be a Netz Minyan on the first day of Shavuos if there is sufficient interest.
* Advance registration for Minyanim is required and space is limited. Go to https://www.yise.org/minyan to register. If you have changes to your original, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with details.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to email@example.com: Sponsor name, birthday or anniversary date, name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Our current limited ability to Daven with a Minyan and to say Kaddish is difficult and a challenge. However, sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Sunday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt¡¦s Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The Pre-Shabbos Drasha video is available for sponsorship at $54.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to this past week¡¦s Shiurim sponsors:
Rabbi Rosenbaum¡¦s Tehillim/Parsha/Halacha Shiur
* Judy & David Marwick in memory of Mrs. Bella Glatstein, Bella bat Tzvi, whose Yahrzeit is 28 Iyar.
* Debbie & Jeff Weinstein & family for the Yahrzeits of Sophia Kravatz (Simcha bas Dovid), Aaron Levine (Aron ben Baruch Eliezer HaLevi) and Hannelore Weinstein (Hannah bas Mordechai).
Rabbi Rosenbaum¡¦s Nach Shiur
* Refuah Sheleimah to Chana bas Rosa
* Rosalyn Bramson in honor of her mother¡¦s Yahrzeit, Estelle Handelman, Esther bat Rephael Tzvi, Z¡¨L, on Rosh Chodesh Sivan.
Rabbi Rosenbaum¡¦s Mussar Shiur
* Refuah Shleimah to Chana bas Rosa
* Scott & Shari Hillman in memory of Shari¡¦s father, Herbert Romerstein, Chanan ben Pesach, whose 8th Yahrzeit was on the 28th of Iyar.
* Elaine & Robert Leichter
Rabbi Hyatt¡¦s Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in honor of a Refuah Sheleimah to Rabbi Hyatt and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur. Rabbi Rosenbaum¡¦s Erev Shabbos Drasha
* Debbie & Jeff Weinstein & family in honor of Lily¡¦s 13th birthday
* Adrian Magendzo & Denise Behar – We will be moving to NY after Shavuot and we would like to thank everyone from the community for all the love, Chesed and friendship we received during the seven years we spent in Kemp Mill. We felt immediately as part of the community even though we were coming from Chile with language barriers and knowing absolutely no one. We still have fresh memories of such a welcoming environment. We, as a family, have a great Hakaras Hatov for each and every one. We want to especially thank Rabbi Rosenbaum
and his family for their affection and for being so welcoming from the first day. We also want to thank the Gabaim and staff members of YISE who do a tremendous job. We are leaving with mixed feelings. On one hand, we are doing it because we want to be close to our sons and grandchildren but on the other hand, we are leaving a most beautiful community, great friends, and a wonderful Rabbi. For this reason, we do not want to say goodbye but rather, ¡§we¡¦ll see you soon.¡¨ To everyone, when you go to NY, you have a home, just as we felt when we came to the Shomrai Emunah community.
YISE Programs and Listings
Shavuos Hospitality – Baruch Hashem, the CDC's latest guidance opens the door for more shared meals, under certain circumstances. The YISE Hospitality Committee would like to help match up guests with hosts for Shavuos meals, taking vaccination status and the CDC's guidelines into account. If you would like to host people at your Shavuos meals, please visit wp.yise.org/shavuos-host To sign up to be a guest, please visit wp.yise.org/shavuos-guest There is more information on the sign-up forms and on the "FAQ" list at wp.yise.org/shavuos-hospitality
If you have any further questions, please contact us at email@example.com P.S.: Stay tuned for news about year-round Shabbos meals. See flyer for details.
Shiurim on Shavuos Afternoon: First Day – Rabbi Rosenbaum will give a Shiur for men and women, "The Remarkable Adaptability of our Torah to any Circumstance: COVID-19 Shaalos." Second Day – Rebbetzin Rosenbaum will give a Shiur for women, "Compelled to Commit? Shavuos and the Foundations of Faith." Both Shiurim will meet at 5:00 PM in the Social Hall. Seating is limited, Please register with firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, May 14. See flyer for details.
Hamizrachi Magazines and printed Shavuot To-Go – Limited quantity available. If you are interested in getting one, please email email@example.com Online Shavuot To-Go available at https://www.yutorah.org/togo/shavuot
Annual Congregational Meeting – The meeting for election of YISE officers and trustees will take place on Tuesday, May 25 at 7:30 PM on Zoom A.
YISE Regular Board Meeting will take place on Tuesday, May 25, at 9:00 PM on Zoom. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Memorial Day Program: "I didn't know there were Jews in the military" – Monday, May 31, 11:00 AM -12:15 PM on Zoom A. You won't want to miss this program. Learn about members of our community. Questions? Contact email@example.com for more information.
Update: Being Social. In the past few months, YISE's Social Committee has organized a range of programs to bring us together virtually – Trivia Night, Painting, a Purim Shpiel… We have also expressed our thanks to the Holy Cross Hospital health workers and treated the Wheaton Rescue Squad to a special dinner. Want to help? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration for Shomrai Preschool 2021-2022 is now open! We are excited to be offering a Torah-rich, child-centered program for children entering 2 year-old Nursery – 4 year-old Pre-K. School day runs from 8:30 AM – 3:00 PM. Extended care options available from 7:30 AM -8:30 AM and 3:00 PM – 6:00 PM. Register early for maximum savings! Visit our website for tuition rates and online registration at https://preschool.yise.org/registration For more information about the program email Sarah Dollman at email@example.com See flyer for details.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this muchneeded medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax-deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Community Programs & Listings
Saw You At Sinai Free Memberships – SawYouAtSinai.com is sponsoring an unlimited number of free 2 month gold memberships during June and July 2021 to anyone who has not already tried this successful matchmaking initiative. To obtain the offer, sign up at SawYouAtSinai.com and enter the marketing code YISE on the initial member registration page. This offer has been generously sponsored by an anonymous donor in memory of the precious Neshamos who were lost in Meron.
Capital Kosher Pantry Summer Collection – Please donate non-perishable items. Specially needed: canned pineapple, graham cracker crusts, olives, olive oil, Wacky Mac, yeast. Always needed: paper napkins, paper towels, tissues & toilet paper. You can buy items at your local store & place them in a Capital Kosher Pantry donation bin at Shalom, Moti's and area Shuls, or buy online & ship directly to us! Go to: www.yadyehuda.org/kosher-pantry for more information.
Yad Yehuda Donation Policy Update – Many unsolicited items are being dropped off at Yad Yehuda's office. We incur costs to dispose of those items. Please do not drop off: clothing/shoes/coats, household and baby items, electronics, books, Judaica/sheimos. Donations of non-perishable food for the Capital Kosher Pantry are welcomed and appreciated.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, May 19, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? Izun is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Email us at email@example.com
What Happened at Sinai: An Exploration of the Sinai Revelation and the Ten Commandments – Wednesdays, 8:00 PM on Zoom. Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. Join any time! No cost. Zoom info and registration at linksgw.org/classes
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Kemp Mill Village is providing friendly phone calls and limited deliveries during the pandemic. Call 1-833-KMV-20902 to request service or to volunteer. See kempmillvillage.org for more information.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Monday, May 17 – Shavuos
Tuesday, May 18 – Shavuos
Limited Minyanim will take place at YISE next week, advance registration and confirmation required. You are encouraged to Daven at home at the same time as a Minyan at YISE. Shacharis: Sunday 6:30 AM/7:30 AM/8:45 AM; /Wednesday/Friday 6:15 AM/6:55 AM/8:45 AM; Thursday 6:15 AM/6:45 AM/8:45 AM; Mincha/Maariv: Wednesday/Thursday: 8:05 PM.
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 4:19 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 4:54 AM, Latest Netz: 5:55 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:27 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:42 PM, Earliest Shkia: 8:15 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim: 9:08 PM
May 21 – 22, 2021 – 11 Sivan 5781
Light Candles: 8:01
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, May 19 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.yise.org
Office Hours: Closed Monday/Tuesday
Wednesday/Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Simi Franco – Office Manager