Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shavuos Shorts
June 7 – 10, 2019 – 5 – 7 Sivan 5779 – Parshas Bamidbar/Shavuos
Light Candles by 8:13 – Havdalah 9:22
The Shabbos Shorts is dedicated this week by Debi and Max Rudmann to the many members of the Kemp Mill community involved in the learning and teaching of Torah.
* Debby & Rabbi Barry Greengart on the birth of a granddaughter, born to their children, Laya & Eli Greengart of Baltimore.
* Rabbi Barry Greengart on his 75th birthday.
* Light Candles by 8:13, and not before 6:59
Ashkenazi: 6:40, 7:15, 8:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 8:10 Sephardi: 2:30 Nusach Sefard: 8:10
* Maariv/Kiddush: 9:21
* 8:00, 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – David Mordehai in Memory of his mother Chanina bat Farcha, and by Popi & Shula Eloul in memory of Chasiba bat Grasia, Yaakov ben Chasiba and Meir ben Simmi
* 8:00 Minyan – the Mainzers in honor of Yonah's birthday and new job.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – anonymous in honor of all the people that make the 9:15 Minyan a success.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur 9:00 AM, Rabbi's Study.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 8:20 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Pirkei Avos Shiur after Mincha
Shavuos – First Day – Sunday, June 9
The flowers for Shavuos are donated in memory of David Kramer, Z"L, on the occasion of his 17th Yahrzeit by Karen & Howie Schulman and family.
See flyer for Shavuos Night Shiurim
The Pastry Oven cakes have been donated by Nissy & Eva Moskowitz in memory of loved ones.
* Earliest Talis 4:38 AM Netz 5:42 AM
* Shacharis: Ashkenazi: 5:05, 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Sephardi: 4:10 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
* Mincha: Ashkenazi: 8:15 Sephardi: 8:10 Nusach Sefard: 8:15
* Maariv: 8:50
* Light Candles after 9:22 No preparations shall be done before this time. Shavuos – Second Day – Monday, June 10
* Shacharis: Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 8:15 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
* Yizkor at 8:45 Minyan – not before 10:30
* Mincha: Ashkenazi: 8:15 Sephardi: 8:10 Nusach Sefard: 8:15
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:22
Divrei Torah and Yom Tov Shiurim:
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman- Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah minyan, lower lobby.
* Shiur after Mincha Rabbi Silver
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash, will resume June 16.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the balcony, will resume June 19.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, in the Social Hall, will resume June 16.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays in the Social Hall, will resume June 16.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page, this week at 7:15.
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An in-depth analysis, will resume June 17.
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver in the Small Social Hall. For more information please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: email@example.com or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM, in the Social Hall.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? Appreciating Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Kesubos, Wednesdays, will not meet on June 12 or 19.
YISE Programs and Listings
YISE Women's Learning Initiative presents Erev Shavuos learning for women, Shabbos, June 8 at 5:30 PM in the Belonofsky Sanctuary. Renowned educator Mrs. Sharon Freundel will speak on "Aseres HaDibros in Poetry and Prose." For more information, contact Judy Rosenthal, email@example.com See flyer for details.
Tikkun Leil Shavuos – Sunday, June 9, Shiurim starting at midnight, followed by "Netz" Shacharis. See flyer for details.
Scholar-in-Residence – YISE Community Adult Education Project welcomes Rabbi Ari Marburger, Shabbos, June 15. See flyer for details.
Graduation Kiddush – Shabbos, June 15. Sponsorship deadline Wednesday, June 12. See flyer for details.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program is a service to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. By signing up, you are not committing to help with anything specific. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan. The Youth Minyan will meet on Monday, the 2nd day of Shavuos, at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth rooms behind the Balcony, on Shabbos and both days of Shavuos.
1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva, on Shabbos and on Monday, the 2nd day of Shavuos. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
On the Wings of Eagles – Special Youth Shabbos Program, this Shabbos, June 8. See flyer for details.
A Sundae on Monday! – Join YISE Youth for our annual Shavuos Ice Cream Social. 2nd day of Shavuos, Monday, June 10, 4:30 PM – 5:30 PM in the YISE Social Hall. See flyer for details.
Safe Streets for Shabbos & Shavuos
Over the past several weeks, it seems that more and more drivers have ignored the "No Turn on Red" sign at Lamberton Drive and Arcola Avenue. Many drivers are turning right during the time between when the "No Turn" sign goes on and all traffic has stopped and they don't want to wait for the next green light. Other cars simply drive through the No Turn sign and turn right during the actual walk time period for pedestrians. As we approach the 3-day Shabbos/Yom Tov when many children and adults will be walking and crossing this busy intersection, please be extra careful and even wait a few seconds when the walk signal turns white to be sure there are no cars coming from someplace to cross in front of you.
Community Programs and Listings
Tzurba M'Rabanan learning group meets every Shabbos. Men's group at 3:30 PM at the home of Moshe & Rose Litwack, 11302 Monticello Ave. The women's group will meet this week on Sunday, the 1st day of Shavuos, at 4:45 PM at the Rubin home, 4 Fulham Court.
The Chofetz Chaim Pirkei Avos Lady's Learning Group will host a shiur for women by Rabbi Reingold this Shabbos, June 8, from 4:15 PM – 5:00 PM on V'Ahavta L'Reiacha Kamocha and Kabbalas HaTorah. The Shiur will be held at the Nizhnikov home, 1120 North Belgrade Road.
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – will not meet on June 8.
A Time for Unity! – Special Shabbos afternoon speaker series. As we look forward to Shavuos, let us come together and find inspiration in the words of the Torah. Chabad of Silver Spring will be hosting distinguished Rabbis during the weeks between Pesach and Shavuos. This Shabbos, June 8, Rabbi Berel Wolvovsky, Chabad of Silver Spring. All Shiurim at Chabad, 519 Lamberton Drive, 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM. Women and men are invited.
Yeshiva of Greater Washington Shavuos Shiurim – all Shiurim in the Belonofsky Bais Medrash at the Boys Campus. For women: Sunday, the 1st day of Shavuos, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky, 5:30 PM. For men: Monday, 2nd day of Shavuos, 6:15 PM Chavrusa learning, 7:00 PM, Shiur with Rabbi Eli Reingold on the "Halachic International Deadline", 7:45 PM Mincha.
Post High School Girls Shiur – Tuesday night, June 11, 8:30 PM at the Pepper home, 1101 North Belgrade Road.
Zichron Menachem Hair Drive – Donate 12" of your beautiful hair to a child with cancer! Choose an appointment for a free cut. Appointments available on the day after Shavuos, Tuesday, June 11, at Progressions, 12211 Nebel St., Rockville – 4:30 PM – 5:30 PM. To make an appointment, email "Hair" to firstname.lastname@example.org
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, June 12, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com for more info.
"A Summer Sensation" – presented by the Torah School of Greater Washington Girls Choirs and La Zooz Dance. A collaborative performance of music and dance, for women and girls only. Sunday, June 16, 10:30 AM at Northwood High School, 919 University Blvd West. Tickets are available for purchase in advance at www.lazoozdance.com For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Free LinkedIn webinar – Presented by Colleen McKenna, on Thursday, June 27, 11:0 AM. To register, please go to https://www.interoadvisory.com and scroll down to "Upcoming Webinars."
Capital Kosher Pantry – In advance of Shavuos and summer vacation, the shelves at Yad Yehuda's Capital Kosher Pantry need restocking. Please help us replenish the foods so very needed by your friends and neighbors. Items most needed at this time include: Almond or soy milk, apple juice, canned fruit, cereals, granola/snack bars, healthy grains (farro, rice mixes), juice packs, pancake syrup, pareve crackers, pasta sauce, pizza sauce, rice cakes and vegetarian baked beans. Please DO NOT donate pasta or matzah. All items must be factory sealed in unbreakable containers, Kosher and well within the use-by date. Donation boxes are located in area shuls, Berman Hebrew Academy, Moti's Market, Shalom Kosher, Torah School, YGW Girls Division and in front of Yad Yehuda House at 1910 University Boulevard West. You may also visit yadyehuda.org/pantry to shop online and have products shipped directly to the Pantry. Our friends and neighbors in need rely on your generous assistance. Thank you so much for doing your part. Chag Sameach from the volunteers at the Capital Kosher Pantry!
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nazir. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more info, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daf Yomi Shiur meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before the YISE late Mincha.
Dirshu Mishnah Brurah – Beginning Monday, April 29, Dirshu Mishnah Brurah begins Chelek Daled with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Learn the Halachos of Eruvin and Techumin. Finish the Chelek in eleven months! Monday through Thursday at YISE after Maariv. For more information contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services or to volunteer.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday, June 9 – Shavuos Monday, June 10 – Shavuos Tuesday June 11 Wednesday June 12 Thursday June 13 Friday June 14
Ashkenazi See Shavuos Schedule 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Ashkenazi 8:20 8:20 8:20 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 8:15 8:15 8:15
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 4:38 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:24 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:46 PM
June 14 – 15, 2019 – 12 Sivan 5779
Light Candles: Friday by 8:17 – Havdalah: 9:25
* Light Candles by 8:17, and not before 7:02
Ashkenazi: 6:45, 7:20, 8:20 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 8:15 Sephardi: 8:00 Nusach Sefard: 8:15
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:25
Sunday, June 9 Tikkun Leil Shavuos – Midnight
Monday, June 10 Ice Cream Social – 4:30 PM – 5:30 PM
Shabbos, June 15 Rabbi Ari Marburger, Scholar-in-Residence
Shabbos, June 15 Graduation Kiddush
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, June 12 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Hours: Closed Monday (Shavuos)
Tuesday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday: 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager