Parshas Bamidbar/Shavuos – June 3 – 6, 2022
Download the Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shavuos Shorts
June 3 – 6, 2022 – 5 – 7 Sivan 5782 – Parshas Bamidbar/Shavuos
Friday: Light Candles by 8:11 – Monday: Havdalah 9:20
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Tzivia Bramson & Family in memory of Rabbi Samuel Bramson, HaRav Shmuel Ben Noach Helman Halevi, on his third Yahrzeit on the 9th of Sivan, and by
Esther & David Hornestay in commemoration of the 14th Yahrzeit of Esther's mother, Regina Berman, Rivka Bas Dovid and Minna, on the 7th of Sivan, the 2nd day of Shavuos.
* Simi & Sammy Franco on the birth of a granddaughter, Emma Beth (Aviva Devorah) to their children, Elisheva & Mikey Franco. Mazal Tov to the great-grandmothers, Dottie Franco and Janet Rottenberg, big sister Susie and all of the aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Sheila Gaisin on the recent Bas Mitzvah of her granddaughter, Aliza, daughter of Deborah & Daniel Gaisin of Bergenfield, NJ. The celebration took place on Lag BaOmer. Mazal Tov to Uncle Jeremy, Tanta Shera & Uncle Reuven and all of the cousins and other aunts and uncles.
* Marla & Marty Teichman on the birth of a great-granddaughter. Mazal Tov to the parents Hinda & Yitzchak Isaac Kinzer and to the grandparents Debra & Reuven Meth.
* Nancy Finkelstein on the passing of her husband, David Finkelstein. The funeral took place on Wednesday.
Minyan locations are listed as B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall, LBM = Large Beis Medrash, SBM = Small Beis Medrash, H = The House
* Light Candles by 8:11, and not before 6:57
* Mincha: 6:40 (Plag, S), 7:15 (B), 8:15 (B), 7:15 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen Minyan, H)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:00 (S), 8:10 (B), 8:05 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 9:18
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 9:15 Minyan Rabbi Postelnek
* Shabbos Morning Gemara Shiur for men Rabbi Rosenbaum
* Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura Rabbi Postelnek
* Pirkei Avos Shiur after Mincha Rabbi Rosenbaum
* Hashkamah Minyan Kiddush is sponsored in celebration of Janet & Joe Gamson's Ruby Wedding Anniversary, 40 wonderful years together; and by Holly & Alan Zimmerman in celebration of Alan's 70th birthday.
* 8:45/9:15/Sephardi Kiddush is sponsored by Dana & Josh Dachman.
Shavuos – First Day – Sunday, June 5
The flowers for Shavuos are donated in memory of David Kramer, Dovid Tovia Ben Harav Yechiel Michoel Halevi, Z"L, on the occasion of his 20th Yahrzeit by Karen & Howie Schulman and Family.
See flyer for Shavuos Night Shiurim
The Pastry Oven cakes have been donated by Eva & Nissy Moskowitz in loving memory of our families who perished in the Holocaust.
* Netz 5:43 AM
* Shacharis: 5:05 (S), 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:30 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Mincha: 8:10 (B), 8:05 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Maariv: 8:45
* Light Candles after 9:19 No preparations shall be done before this time.
Shavuos – Second Day – Monday, June 6
* Shacharis: 6:45 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen Minyan, H)
* Yizkor at 8:45 Minyan – not before 10:30
* Mincha: 8:10 (B), 8:05 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:20
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 9:15 Rabbi Postelnek
* Shiur after Mincha Rabbi Rosenbaum
* Any person eligible for a fully FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine (16 years of age or older), but who chooses to not be vaccinated may attend YISE Minyanim and events with the following guidelines. Unvaccinated individuals must remain masked at all times while in the Shul building, including at Kiddushes and/or other events containing food. Masks may not be removed to eat or drink. Exceptions will be made for private functions being held at the Shul, but that are not Shul sponsored events.
* Anyone with any of the following symptoms should not come to shul: fever of 100.4 degrees or higher, chills, muscle aches, sore throat, severe cough, headache, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue, congestion or runny nose, or new loss of sense of taste or smell. If you have tested positive for COVID, you should follow the CDC guidelines.
* Masks are now optional for vaccinated adults and for children under 16.
* There are no social distancing requirements in the YISE building.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
YISE Youth Announcements
Shabbos Groups this Shabbos, June 4, and on the 2nd day of Shavuos, Monday, June 6, from 10:00 AM until Shul ends. There will not be any Groups on the 1st day of Shavuos. Age 18- 36 months (Mommy & me) in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 2-5 years (drop off) in the room behind the balcony. Ages 6-9 years will meet at Shomrai and walk over to the Yeshiva. For more information, contact Debbie Katz at at email@example.com
Pre-Shavuos Ice Cream Sundaes and Seudah Shlishit with Mrs. Aliza Postelnek on Shabbos, June 4, 5:45 PM, at the home of Sivan Jacobson, 712 Horton Drive. For girls in grades 6 – 8. Join friends for Torah discussions, singing, socializing and delicious food. See flyer for details.
Youth Shavuos Night Learning with Rabbi Rosenbaum for boys in grades 4 – 6, Shavuos night, 12 midnight – 1:00 AM in the Social Hall. See flyer for details.
High School boys learning with Rabbi Holzer at 4:00 AM on the 1st night of Shavuos at The House, followed by Shacharis. There will not be a 9:15 Teen Minyan on the 1st day, only the early Minyan.
Shavuos Family Hop – Second day of Shavuos, Monday, June 6, 3:30 PM – 5:00 PM. See flyer for details.
Thank you to the Shiurim Sponsors for this Past Week:
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in memory of Rabbi Hyatt, Z"L, and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha/Halacha Shiur
* Menachem, Chaim and Yosef Frenkel L'aliyas HaNeshama Moshe Shalom ben Yosef Nasan Z"L, Morris Edeson.
8:45 Minyan Drasha on the 2nd Day of Shavuos
* Debbie & Jacob Frenkel L'zecher Nishmas Morris Edeson, Moshe Shalom ben Yosef Nasan, Z"L, on his Shloshim.
YISE Programs and Listings
Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura – A weekly Chabura in the Nesivos Shalom on the Parsha. Delve into the deeper dimensions of the Parsha and Holidays by learning the Nesivos Shalom's weekly insights. Begins at 8:55 AM Shabbos mornings in the Social Hall. This Shiur will be given by Rabbi Postelnek.
Shabbos Morning Gemara Shiur – Rabbi Rosenbaum will give the new Shabbos Morning Gemara Shiur after the Hashkamah Minyan Kiddush, learning Maseches Sanhedrin, in the Small Beis Medrash.
Shavuos Night – We are excited to hold our Shavuos Night Learning Schedule for the first time in three years! See flyer for details.
Shavuos Women's Dessert – Sunday, June 5, 4:00 PM, in the backyard of The House. See flyer for details.
Graduation Kiddush – Help sponsor Kiddush on Shabbos, June 18, in honor of that special graduate in your life! To honor your graduate, send your donation of $18 to YISE by June 15. Please include the name of the sponsor(s) and the graduate's name, school and grade. A list of honored graduates will appear on the tables at the Kiddush. send your information to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 301-593-4465 x103 by June 15.
Celebrate Service to Our Country – Why do Jews decide to serve? Video available at https://wp.yise.org/memorial-day-2022
Kiddush Volunteers Needed! As we return to a regular schedule of Kiddushes, volunteers are needed from ALL Minyanim to help set up and clean up for Kiddushes on Shabbos morning. Times vary. Let us know when you are available. Contact Barbara Price at 301-332-8181.
Seeing the Hand of Hashem…In History – Presented by the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project. Next lecture, "Seeing the Hand of Hashem in History," with Rabbi Yitzchak Breitowitz on Sunday, June 12, 10:30 AM on Zoom A. Recordings at wp.yise.org/hand-of-hashem See flyer for details.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Monday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The 8:45 and 9:15 Shabbos Drashas are both available for sponsorship at $54 each.
4. Yom Tov Drasha Sponsorships are $72 each.
Please email email@example.com to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday, 9:30 AM, Zoom A, will not take place on Monday, June 6.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:00 PM, Zoom A, will not meet on Sunday, June 5, and Monday, June 6.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A, will resume on Sunday, June 12.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Mishlei, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM breakfast, 9:45 AM Shiurim, will resume after Shavuos.
* Illuminating Inquiries in Halacha – Rabbi Yitzchak Mandel
* Judaism 102: Fundamentals for the Experienced Jew – Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Navigating Navi: Sefer Yehoshua – Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Parsha Perspectives: An Exploration of Engaging Parsha Topics – Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info., contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same Page Gemara – in person in the Social Hall, will resume after Shavuos.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Reading Responsa – Zoom D.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom H.
* For Women – Zoom I
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – will resume after Shavuos.
* SCP (Semichat Chaver Program) – Tuesdays at 8:45 PM. Join the fastest growing Halacha learning program in the world! Now back in person at YISE. Register at gwckollel.org/scp
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy's Gemara Shiur, Masechet Chulin, Sunday through Friday, 6:35 AM – 7:20 AM, in the Franco Beit Midrash.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurim for men & women, Mondays at 9:00 AM, studying Parashas Hashavua, Zoom B, will resume after Shavuos.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", Zoom E.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Bava Kama 9th Perek Merubah. Wednesday evenings, 7:30 PM on Zoom G.Note new time.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 833 3477 1595, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom E: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom F: ID: 349 754 2180, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
Zoom H: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
Zoom I: ID: 601 853 4021, password Winter
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to email@example.com: Sponsor name, birthday or anniversary date, name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
Community Programs & Listings
Condolences to Larry Dyckman on the passing of his wife, Sharon Dyckman. The funeral took place on Monday.
A Time for Unity! – Special speaker series at Chabad of Silver Spring, 519 Lamberton Drive, Shabbos afternoons at 6:30 PM. This week's speaker will be Rabbi Berel Wolvovsky, Chabad of Silver Spring.
Zichron Menachem Annual Hair-Raising Event – Get a free haircut and do a Mitzvah at the same time. Tuesday, June 7, after Shavuos, Progressions Salon and Spa, 12211 Nebel Street, Rockville, 4:00 PM – 7:00 PM. Be a hero and donate 12 inches or more of your beautiful hair. To make an appointment, email "hair" to firstname.lastname@example.org For more information, go to www.zichron.org
Come and meet Shmita observant farmers, Doron and Ilana Toweg, and support Nishei Keren Hashviis at an event this Thursday night, June 9 from 6:45 PM – 9:00 PM at the Lone Oak Brewery in Olney, MD. For registration and details, visit http://www.nsheikerenhashviis.com/ss-reg
Virtual Job Fair – On Tuesday, June 14, from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM, there will be a virtual job fair for job seekers who are 50+ years of age. It will include workshops on job search and presentations by area employers. The job fair is sponsored by the Jewish Council on Aging and Montgomery County. For more information and to register, please visit https://virtualexpos.accessjca.org
Kemp Mill Toastmasters Open House – Wednesday, June 15, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. Come join our open house in the YISE Small Social Hall. Visit Kemp Mill Toastmasters in person for the first time in over 2 years! See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more information.
Beyond Waters of Eden: The Centrality of Water in Jewish Art and Texts with Nomi Schneck, PhD candidate, Department of Art & Archaeology, Princeton University, and Liz Diament, museum educator. For women and girls age 12 and up, Tuesday, June 28 on Zoom. This is the second event from the Robin Niman Mikvah Education Fund of the Mikvah Emunah Society with support from the OU Women's Initiative Challenge Grant 2022 for Innovative Women's Programming – Women's Unity Series, Engaging and Connecting Women in our Community at All Ages and Stages of Life.
YGW Kollel Zichron Amram Machshava – Probing Jewish Thought Through the Works of Rav Yitzchak Hutner, ZT"L, with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold, Rosh Kollel, Sundays at 8:00 PM on Zoom, Meeting ID: 825 0731 6850, Passcode: 1216613. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
Michtav M'Eliyahu: Thought and Perspective of Rav Eliyahu Dessler – Join Rabbi Yosef Musicante as he begins to explore Rav Dessler's perspectives on Kabbalas Hatorah – Receiving the Torah! Mondays – 8:30 PM at SEHC, 10900 Lockwood Drive and on Zoom, Meeting ID: 279 256 7843 Password: Learn
Dirshu – Please join Dirshu, which began Bava Metzia on December 20. Shiur options at YGW: Monday – Friday, 5:45 AM (R. Reingold) or Monday – Thursday, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM (R. Cortell/R. Werner). About 2.5 Daf covered each week.
Parsha Explorations with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Presented by the Greater Washington Community Kollel and Kemp Mill Synagogue, Sunday evenings, 7:30 PM at KMS and on Zoom, Meeting ID: 655 813 1022, Passcode: 365636. For men and women.
TGN Program: Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Siddur with Mrs. Esther Dziadek, Wednesday mornings, 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM, on Zoom B. For more information call 301-732-1773 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments, shopping, etc. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. COVID-19 precautions are followed for the health of drivers and riders. Contact email@example.com, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more info.
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? IZUN is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Go to https://getizun.org or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online weekdays via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at email@example.com to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM. Shabbos in-person 1-1/2 hours before the main YISE Mincha, at the Yeshiva.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday, June 5 – Shavuos
Monday, June 6 – Shavuos
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 4:01 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 4:39 AM, Latest Netz: 5:44 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:24 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:46 PM, Earliest Shkia: 8:30 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim 9:23 PM
June 10 – 11, 2022 – 12 Sivan 5782
* Light Candles by 8:15, but not before 7:00
* Mincha: 6:45 (Plag, S), 7:15 (B), 8:15 (B), 7:15 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen, H)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:00 (B), 8:10 (B), 8:05 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 9:23
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, June 8 at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 Email: email@example.com
Office Hours: Closed Monday (Shavuos)
Tuesday – Thursday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM,
Friday: 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager