Included in the PDF are the Israel Report, Hamaayan, Likutei Torah and GWCK Shabbos Delights, which are normally available next to the Shabbos Shorts at YISE.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
May 22 – 23, 2020 – 29 Iyar 5780 – Parshas Bamidbar/Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 8:02 – Havdalah 9:09
* Howard & Rosanne Benn on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson, Tzvi Hirsch Lipman, of Beitar Illit, Israel. Mazal Tov to parents Miriam (Michelle Benn) & Rabbi Dovid Lipman and grandparents Karen & Bernie Lipman of Woodside.
* Shulie & Ronnie Bergman on the birth of a grandson, Shmuel, born to their children, Nechama & Noach Bergman. Mazal Tov to big brother Moshe and big sister Miriam.
* Manasseh Katz for taking 2nd place in the Table Topics Impromptu Speech Contest for Toastmasters International District 36, comprised of over 200 clubs and 5,000 members in Maryland, DC and Virginia.
* Becca & Brett Kugler on the virtual Bar Mitzvah of their son, Akiva. Mazal Tov to the entire family.
* Marion & Fred Miller on the graduation of their daughter, Adena, from the University of Maryland School of Social Work with a Master's Degree in Social Work. Mazal Tov to her siblings, and her extended family.
* Anne & Scott Schlesinger on the graduation of their son, Joseph, from University of Maryland Global Campus with a B.A. in Communications.
* Roz & Shmuel Shafner on the birth Thursday morning of a grandson, born to their children, Adina Shafner & Joshua Lynn Eisenstein of Riverdale. Mazal tov to big brother Hugo.
* Claire Haramati on the passing of her brother, Rabbi Bernard Zeller. Shiva was completed before Shabbos.
* Planning for Shul reopening has begun. Go to https://wp.yise.org/planning-for-shul-reopening/ for more details.
* All public activities at YISE are cancelled, including Minyanim, Youth Groups, Shiurim and special events.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
* Please continue to be vigilant regarding matters of personal hygiene as previously advised. If you are unwell, please do not enter the Shul or other public places. We urge you to adhere to all medical advice you may receive regarding self-quarantine.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
Note that Davening times are listed for reference so that people may Daven at the same time as others. There are no Minyanim at YISE at this time.
* Light Candles by 8:02, and not before Plag, 6:50
Ashkenazi: 6:35, 7:05, 8:05 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
If you Daven Kabbalos Shabbos/Maariv prior to Shkia (8:20 PM), it is preferable to Daven Mincha prior to Plag (6:50 PM).
* Shacharis: Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
One may say the entire text of the blessing of Birkas Hachodesh even when alone. Rosh Chodesh Sivan is on Sunday. The Molad was on Friday morning, 42 minutes and 13 Chalakim after 11, Jerusalem time.
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 8:00 Sephardi: 8:00 Nusach Sefard: 8:00
* Shabbos ends: 9:09
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list, go to https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Sunday 9:00 AM/Monday through Friday 8:30 AM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:30 PM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, will resume May 27.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact firstname.lastname@example.org Zoom B.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men and Women – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps, Zoom C.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom I.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings, 7:30 PM, Zoom H.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info. contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com 347-869-9361.
* For Men & Women – Zoom D (except as noted):
* Mondays: Rabbi E. Gayer – A to Z of Jewish Living
* Mondays: (for men only) Rabbi H. Shaps, On the Same Page Gemara, Zoom C.
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Grossman – Parshas Hashavua, will resume June 4.
* For Women – Zoom E:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An in-depth analysis
* Tuesdays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Bereishis in-Depth
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver. For more information, please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: firstname.lastname@example.org or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: email@example.com – Zoom A.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM, Zoom F.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, ¡§A Second Look- Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", Zoom G.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
* Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
* Zoom B: ID: 784 431 8176
* Zoom C: ID: 349 754 2180, password GWCK
* Zoom D: ID: 746 455 2195, password GWCK
* Zoom E: ID: 601 853 4021, password Winter
* Zoom F: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
* Zoom G: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
* Zoom H: ID: 269 840 3648, password 8tCqF6
* Zoom I: ID: 834 8407 1267, password RabbiHyatt
YISE Youth – Shavuot Sing-a-long and Kahoot! Sunday, May 24 on Zoom A.
Shavuot Sing-a-long – Ages 2-5 – 11:15 AM Sing-a-long videos: https://youtu.be/_2fuHZpLDfc https://youtu.be/9BgFajm6zJo https://youtu.be/sPpaGqha4zU https://youtu.be/2aFuBhhZhqc
Shavuot Kahoot! – Ages K-4th grade – 12:15 PM Please bring 2 devices to play. A code for Kahoot! will be shared on Zoom.
YISE Programs and Listings
Ruth, Boaz, Yibum and the Mashiach – The YISE Women's Learning Initiative presents Pre-Shavuot learning for women with Mrs. Sharon Freundel. Sunday, May 24, 4:00 PM on Zoom A.
Come join Rabbi Koss's monthly Jewish History class now on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, June 1, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom. Meeting ID – 897 7875 9173, password 257642 For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this muchneeded medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Community Programs & Listings
A Time for Unity – Special Sunday Evening Lecture Series – As we look forward to Shavuot – the Season of the Giving of our Torah – let us come together and find inspiration in the words of the Torah. Chabad of Silver Spring will be hosting distinguished rabbis again this year during the weeks between Pesach and Shavuot. This week's speaker: Rabbi Yankel Greiniman, Sunday, May 24, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM. Zoom link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/99088655463?pwd=ZXIydkhpbU5PM0ZMSFVmTktLc0NvZz09 Meeting ID: 990-8865-5463 Password: unity
GWCK Pre-Shavuos Mega Day of Learning and Inspiration – Sunday, May 24. Understanding the 2nd Day of Yom Tov of the Diaspora, 10:45 AM – 12:15 PM. Registration required at gwckollel.org/shavuos Join 100 Community Kollelim United for a historic day of learning and Chizuk with Torah communities worldwide. Afternoon Program: 1:00pm: Hachana (preparation) shiur with a GWCK Scholar. Register at gwckollel.org/shavuos and receive Zoom info.
2:00 PM: Opening Remarks: Harav Malkiel Kotler Shlita, Rosh Yeshiva, Beis Medrash Gevoha followed by a shiur with Dayan Chanoch Enrentreu Shlita, Av Beth Din of European Beth Din. Access this shiur at www.kollelunited.org No registration required. Evening Chizuk Event for men and women – 9:00 PM featuring: Harav Shlomo Miller Shlita, Rosh Kollel of Kollel Avreichem, Toronto, Harav Uren Reich Shlita, Rosh Yeshiva Woodlake Yeshiva, Harav Yissochar Frand Shlita, Rosh Yeshiva Ner Yisroel Baltimore. Access these talks at www.kollelunited.org No registration required.
Nachlas Yosef on Megilas Rus – Pre-Shavuos Zoom Shiur for women with Rav Ahron Lopiansky, Sunday, May 24, 8:00 PM – 8:45 PM. Registration required at https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/2315895685164/WN_m9WdPOYKTTK78lOmovp9eQ
Federal Holiday Learning Program – An Exploration of Electricity in Hilchos Shabbos with YGW Kollel Zichron Amram. Memorial Day, Monday, May 25, 9:30 AM Chavrusa, 10:35 AM – 11:15 AM Shiur by Rabbi Eli Reingold. Registration required by Sunday, May 24, 9:00 AM at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfKH2_b2MZW9ZkRBF76psAEm3PAcYjmCcsrw1O65bn-FiAVSw/viewform
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at email@example.com to be added to the invite list. Sunday 7:00 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM, Friday 5:45 PM.
The Census Bureau is still hiring for the 2020 Census and expects to resume field operations in June. The hourly pay in Montgomery County, MD, is $29.50. Full-time and part-time positions are available. For more information, call 1-888-480-1639 or visit www.2020Census.gov/jobs
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, May 27, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password 3671.
Understanding the 2nd Day of Yom-Tov of the Diaspora: A Pre-Shavuos Learning Program with GWCK – Sunday, May 24, on Zoom. 10:45 AM: Small group learning led by GWCK Staff with special men's and women's tracks. 11:45 AM: Guest Speaker, Rabbi Yerachmiel Fried, Rosh Kollel, DATA and noted author of Sefer Yom Tov Sheni K'Hilchaso. Registration required at gwckollel.org/shavuos
Partners in Tefillah matches people with others in need of similar assistance from Hashem. The feedback we have received so far has been amazing. You, too, can Daven for someone else in the community and have them Daven for you. May Hashem answer all your prayers. Please visit www.yadyehuda.org/partners-in-tefillah to learn more and to sign up.
Community Website for COVID-19 www.covidgw.com In an effort to simplify access to the plethora of available resources for COVID-19 assistance and information, Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington has created a stand-alone website that includes a wide range of resources for the Greater Washington Jewish community. Please visit covidgw.com
Information on the site is culled from many volunteers and sources from within our community. New information is being added regularly; please visit often to view updated information and resources. May we all merit Hashem's mercy during this challenging time. Please note: If you need assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out by visiting covidgw.com If you are not currently experiencing financial challenges, please consider a donation to assist others who are struggling during this crisis.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Kemp Mill Village is providing friendly phone calls and limited deliveries during the pandemic. Call 1-833-KMV-20902 to request service or to volunteer. See kempmillvillage.org for more information.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday, May 24 – Rosh Chodesh
Monday, May 25 – Memorial Day
Friday, May 29 – Shavuos
No Minyanim will take place at YISE next week. You are encouraged to Daven at home at your regular Minyan time.
Mincha was scheduled for May 24 – May 27 at 8:10 PM (Ashkenazi)/8:05 PM (Sephardi).
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 4:46 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:25 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:43 PM
May 28 – 30, 2020 – 6 – 7 Sivan 5780
Light Candles: Thursday 8:02, Maariv 9:13
Friday Netz Hachama 5:45
Light Candles: Friday 8:08, Plag 6:54
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Tuesday, May 26 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330 Eruv line: 301-593-5561
E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.yise.org
Office Hours: Monday – Wednesday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM.
Thursday – 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM, Friday – Closed
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Our current inability to Daven with a Minyan and to say Kaddish is difficult and a challenge. However, sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrtzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Sunday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Chumash Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Silver's Tuesday Evening Parsha Shiur
* Rabbi Silver's Daily Chizuk Dose on WhatsApp
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The Pre-Shabbos Drasha video is available for sponsorship at $54.
Please email email@example.com to sponsor.
Thank you for your support.
Thank you to this past week's Shiurim sponsors:
Rabbi Rosenbaum's morning and evening Tehillim/Shiur
* Rabbi Barry Greengart in memory of Reuven Fishman, Reuven Shlomo ben Friedel, Z"L, friend of the Shul who was killed in a terrorist attack in Israel in 1978.
* Nancy Karkowsky in gratitude to Hashem for the birth of a baby boy to her son, Manny Karkowsky, and daughter-in-law, Anne Webbe (Mazal Tov to big sisters Vered & Kitre) in Memphis, TN, and also in honor of Yom Yerushalayim, Jerusalem Day.
* Denise & Adrian Magendzo
* Judy & Dr. David Marwick in memory of Bella bat Tzvi, Z"L, Bella Glatstein
* Gila & Rabbi Myron Wakschlag to commemorate the 21st Yahrtzeit of Gila's aunt, Rebbetzin Ruchtshe Levertov, Rachel Z"L bas Harav Chaim HaLevi Kanner, ZT"L.
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* The Marcus Family in honor of Jay's graduation from University of Maryland Global Campus
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Men's Gemara Shiur
* Art Boyars in memory of his mother, Sarah bat Yisroel Moshe, Z"L, on her Yahrtzeit the 28th of Iyar
Rabbi Silver's Daily Chizuk Shiur
* Bev Morris & Art Boyars in honor of Serena Kalish
Rabbi Silver's Tuesday evening Parsha Shiur
* Bev Morris & Art Boyars in honor of Serena Kalish
* Denise & Adrian Magendzo in honor of a Refuah Shlema for Am Yisroel
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Erev Shabbos Parsha Drasha
* Art Boyars in memory of his mother, Sarah Boyars Z"L, her Yahrtzeit is the 28th of Iyar
* Bev Morris & Art Boyars in honor of Dr. Theo Heller
* Rona & Aaron Lerner in honor of Yoni Broth as he graduates from Yeshiva University and for receiving Yeshiva College's Excellence in Talmud Award and the Sy Syms School of Business's Service & Character Award
* Jud Milgram to mark the 14th Yahrzeit (Daled Sivan) of his father, Martin Milgram, Meir ben Mordechai Ber, Z"L
* Audrey & Neil Siegel
* Debbie & Jeff Weinstein & Family for the Yahrtzeit of Hannelore Suse Weinstein, mother and grandmother