Included in the PDF are the Israel Report, Likutei Torah, Hamaayan and GWCK Shabbos Delights, which are normally available next to the Shabbos Shorts at YISE.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
June 25 – 26, 2021 – 16 Tammuz 5781 – Balak
Light Candles by 8:19 – Havdalah 9:27
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Sheila Gaisin & her children, Miriam, Meredith, Arthur, Daniel, Jeremy, Reuven, & Shlomo to commemorate the 2nd Yahrzeit of their beloved husband & father, Dr. Allen Gaisin, Eliyahu ben Menachem Mendel Hakohen, Z"L, and by Arleeta & Rabbi Ivan Lerner in honor of the publication of their daughter D'vorah Miller's book, Up To God. https://mosaicapress.com/product/up-to-god/
* Barbara & Mel Ciment on the marriage of their granddaughter, Ariella Ciment, daughter of Aimee & Daniel Ciment, of Englewood, NJ, to Hillel Katz, son of Ellen & Richie Katz, of Los Angeles, CA.
* Arline & Dr. Irving Katz on the birth of a great-grandson and to Sharona & Shlomo Katz on the birth of a grandson, born to Avigail & Ze'ev Katz of Baltimore. Mazel Tov to great-grandfather Rabbi Sam Vogel and to grandparents Annie Shimanovich and Gedaliah Shimanovich and to the extended family.
* Lisa & Eli Landy on the marriage of their daughter, Leora, to Josh Finkelstein of Fair Lawn, NJ. Mazel Tov also to Leora's brothers, Ariel, Yosef and Amitai and to Josh's parents, Stacey & Yitz Finkelstein.
* Jodi & David Mazel on the engagement of their daughter Shayna to Chad Kaplan, son of Florine & Michael Kaplan of Edison, NJ. Mazel Tov also to Shayna's siblings, Jacob, Suzanne & Jack and the entire Mazel & Kaplan families.
* Judy & David Marwick on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson Avi Marwick, son of Dr. Miriam S. & Rabbi Binyamin Marwick of Baltimore.
* Rochelle Dimont on the passing of her son, Chayim Dimont, and Sahra Ginsburg on the passing of her brother. The funeral took place on Sunday.
* Ben Kalish on the passing of his father, Paul Kalish, Melech Yonah ben Yiddel Dov. Shiva is being observed at 3017 Temple Gate Road, Baltimore, MD 21209 through Tuesday morning. Shacharis: Sunday, Monday, Tuesday: 7:30 AM, Mincha/Maariv: Sunday, Monday: 8:25 PM. The family requests visitors 8:00 AM – 12 Noon, 1:00 PM – 6:00 PM and 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM.
Minyan locations are listed as B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall. All Sephardi Minyanim take place in the Beit Medrash.
* Light Candles by 8:19
* Mincha: 7:00 (S), 8:20 (B), 7:15 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi)
* Mincha: 5:00 (B), 8:15 (B), 7:45 (Sephardi)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 9:27 (B and Sephardi)
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 9:15 Rabbi Rosenbaum
* Shiur after Mincha Rabbi Rosenbaum
Fast of Shiva Asar B'Tammuz
Sunday, June 27
* Fast Begins 4:00 AM
* Early Mincha 2:00 PM
* Mincha 8:00 PM
* Maariv 9:00 PM
* Fast Ends 9:27 PM
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Sunday through Friday 8:30 AM – Zoom A. Shiur will meet at 9:00 AM on Sunday, June 27.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday 7:00 PM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, in the room behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Megillas Eichah, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now studying Sefer Yehoshua, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men and Women – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM.
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom F.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM (except as noted). For more info. contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com 347-869-9361.
* For Men & Women – Zoom C (except as noted):
* Mondays: (for men only) Rabbi H. Shaps, On the Same Page Gemara, Zoom B.
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Grossman – Parshas Hashavua, 9:00 PM.
* For Women – Zoom D
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys, will resume in the fall.
* Tuesdays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Bereishis in-Depth, will resume in the fall.
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Hillel Shaps. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps: firstname.lastname@example.org Registration required at gwckollel.org/scp
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM, Zoom E.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, ¡§A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective¡¨, will resume in the fall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Kiddushin on Wednesday evenings, 7:00 PM, will resume in August.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 349 754 2180, password Learn
Zoom C: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom D: ID: 601 853 4021, password Winter
Zoom E: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom F: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom H: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
YISE Youth Announcements
Shabbos Groups will take place this week from 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM, weather permitting. Masks required indoors for age 3+. Age 18-35 months will be located in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 3-5 years will be located in the Shomrai yard, facing Arcola under the tents. Ages 6-9 years will meet at Shomrai and walk over to the Yeshiva. For more info. contact Michal Merkin, YISE Youth groups coordinator, at email@example.com See flyer for details.
Camp Shomrai is back for another fun-filled summer with programming for children in preschool through ninth grade! Camp runs from July 5th to August 13th. For more info or to register, visit our website at https://campshomrai.org See flyer for details.
* Minyanim currently take place with both social distance and regular seating. Regular seating is for vaccinated people only. Social distance seating is for unvaccinated people and for vaccinated people who prefer social distance seating. Masks are required for everyone in the social distance seating.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
YISE Programs and Listings
Ask The Rabbi! Come join our virtual, interactive monthly program featuring Halachos of Shabbos and holidays! This month's Shiur, on the topic of Muktzah, took place on June 22. Recording available at https://wp.yise.org/ask-the-rabbi
Virtual Banquet – The Banquet Journal is available online at https://wp.yise.org/banquet-2021/ If you registered for the Banquet and were unable to attend or had technical difficulties watching the Zoom session, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a link to a recording of the program. Thank you to the volunteers who delivered the banquet food: Simi Franco, Hershel Katz, Masha Katz, Larry Korb, Valerie Kugler, Carol Lazar, Rona Lerner, Susan Levi, David Marwick, Louis Morris, Barbara Price, Elaine Taragin, Mitch Taragin, Mindy Tolchinsky,
Domestic Violence in the Jewish Community – Sunday, June 27, 11:00 AM – 12:15 PM on Zoom A. Organized by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and YISE. See flyer for details.
Come Join Rabbi Koss's Monthly Jewish History class on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee: Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, July 5, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom A. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com
Update: Being Social – In the past few months, YISE's Social Committee has organized a range of programs to bring us together virtually, including: Jews (in our community) discussing their service in the US military, Trivia Nights, Painting with Talya, Purim Shpiel, Chagim goody bags … We have also expressed our thanks to the Holy Cross Hospital health workers, and treated the Wheaton Rescue Squad to a special dinner. As we come together again,we would like your ideas and help in organizing fun, interactive, and safe activities. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration for Shomrai Preschool 2021-2022 is now open! We are excited to be offering a Torah-rich, child-centered program for children entering 2 year-old Nursery – 4 year-old Pre-K. School day runs from 8:30 AM – 3:00 PM. Extended care options available from 7:30 AM -8:30 AM and 3:00 PM – 6:00 PM. Register early for maximum savings! Visit our website for tuition rates and online registration at https://preschool.yise.org/registration For more information about the program email Sarah Dollman at email@example.com See flyer for details.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this muchneeded medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax-deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
* Nissy Moskowitz in celebration of Eva Moskowitz's 39th birthday (again), and her 52nd wedding anniversary!
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Our current limited ability to Daven with a Minyan and to say Kaddish is difficult and a challenge. However, sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or anyother milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Sunday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The Shabbos Drasha is available for sponsorship at $54.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to this past week's Shiurim sponsors:
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in honor of a Refuah Sheleimah to Rabbi Hyatt and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha/Halacha Shiur
* Judy & David Marwick in honor of the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson Avi Marwick, son of Dr. Miriam S. & Rabbi Binyamin Marwick of Baltimore.
* Nancy Karkowsky in memory of Dr. Avi Karkowsky, Z¡¨L, on his Yahrzeit on the 14th of Tammuz.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Shabbos Drasha
* Sheila Gaisin & her children, Miriam, Meredith, Arthur, Daniel, Jeremy, Reuven & Shlomo to commemorate the 2nd Yahrzeit of their husband & father Dr. Allen Gaisin, Eliyahu ben Menachem Mendel Hakohen, Z¡¨L
* Bette Ellen Weigert, the Krakow family, Wendy Penn and Bernice Cohen in memory of their beloved Father and Grandfather Bernard Krakow, Dov Beryl Ben Yitchak Moshe, Z"L on the occasion of his 47th Yahrzeit.
Community Programs & Listings
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, June 30, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Dealing With the Darkside: Halachic Perspectives on Ransomware – Join us Thursday, July 1, 12 Noon on Zoom C for a virtual Lunch & Learn with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
NO FEAR: A Rally in Solidarity with the Jewish People – Sunday, July 11, 1:00 PM – 3:30 PM at Lafayette Square, Washington, DC. For more information, go to https://www.alliance4israel.org/
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments, shopping, etc. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. COVID-19 precautions are followed for the health of drivers and riders. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more information.
Capital Kosher Pantry Summer Collection – Please donate non-perishable items. Specially needed: canned pineapple, graham cracker crusts, lives, olive oil, Wacky Mac, yeast. Always needed: paper napkins, paper towels, tissues & toilet paper. You can buy items at your local store & place them in a Capital Kosher Pantry donation bin at Shalom, Moti's and area Shuls, or buy online & ship directly to us! Go to: www.yadyehuda.org/kosher-pantry for more information.
Yad Yehuda Donation Policy Update – Many unsolicited items are being dropped off at Yad Yehuda's office. We incur costs to dispose of those items. Please do not drop off: clothing/shoes/coats, household and baby items, electronics, books, Judaica/Sheimos. Donations of non-perishable food for the Capital Kosher Pantry are welcomed and appreciated.
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? Izun is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Email us at email@example.com
Fundamentals of Prayer – Wednesdays, 8:00 PM on Zoom. Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. Join any time! No cost. Zoom info and registration at linksgw.org/classes
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Kemp Mill Village is providing friendly phone calls and limited deliveries during the pandemic. Call 1-833-KMV-20902 to request service or to volunteer. See kempmillvillage.org for more information.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday, June 27 – Shiva Asar B'Tammuz
Ashkenazi: Shacharis: Sunday 6:30 AM (B)/7:30 AM (S)/8:45 AM (B); Monday/Thursday 6:15 AM (B)/6:45 AM (S)/8:45 AM (B); Tuesday/Wednesday/Friday 6:15 AM (B)/6:55 AM (S)/8:45 AM (B); Mincha/Maariv: Sunday: 2:00 PM (B) and 8:00 PM (B); Monday – Thursday: 8:25 PM (B).
Sephardi: Shacharis: Sunday through Friday: 7:30 AM; Mincha/Maariv: Sunday: 8:15 PM; Monday – Thursday: 8:30 PM.
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 4:04 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 4:43 AM, Latest Netz: 5:48 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:27 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:50 PM, Earliest Shkia: 8:37 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim: 9:27 PM
July 2 – 3, 2021 – 23 Tammuz 5781
Light Candles: 8:19
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, June 30 at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.yise.org
Office Hours: Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Friday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Simi Franco – Office Manager