Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
July 19 – 20, 2019 – 17 Tammuz 5779 – Parshas Balak
Light Candles by 8:12 – Havdalah 9:17
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Shalva Resnick and family in gratitude to the wonderful community for their support during the Shiva of her brother, Yitzchak Aryeh, Z"L.
* Emily & Todd Friedman on the birth of a girl, Shayna Meira. Mazal Tov to big siblings Moshe, Chaya and Shoshana.
* Nancy Karkowsky and family on the birth of a grandson, Noach Zecharia, to proud parents, Shuli Karkowsky & Avi Rabinowitz, of New York. Mazal Tov also to big sister and brother, Lila Tova and Caleb Liav, and to all of the aunts, uncles, and cousins.
* Martha & Ed Karl and Linda & Ed Zurndorfer on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson, Chananel Nachman Karl, son of Tovah Leah & Donniel Karl of Ramat Bet Shemesh, Israel. Mazal Tov to Chananel's siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins and extended family.
* Helene Zeltser on the birth of a granddaughter to Dr. Deena Zeltser & Brent Levenson. Mazal Tov to all of the aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Light Candles by 8:12, and not before 6:59
Ashkenazi: 6:40, 7:15, 8:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 8:10 Sephardi: 7:55 Nusach Sefard: 8:10
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:17
In order to facilitate the vital security briefings at each Minyan without creating a burden on the congregation, there will be no Drashos this Shabbos morning.
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – Cassie and Hector Mariscal, in honor of Michelle and Yoni Goldstein for the meaningful contributions that they have made to the community. Caminos de leche y miel!
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – Josh & Sara Katz in honor of Moshe Litwack, Hillel Goldschein and Jacob Frenkel.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur 9:00 AM, Rabbi's Study.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha
Fast of Shiva Asar B'Tammuz – Sunday, July 21
* Fast Begins 4:21 AM
* Early Mincha 2:00 PM * Mincha 7:50 PM * Maariv 8:50 PM
* Fast Ends 9:16 PM
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by Classes from 9:50 AM – 10:30 AM, in the Social Hall. Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter, will resume in the fall.
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Sage Wisdom with Rabbi Moshe Sadwin
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays at 7:35 PM in the Social Hall, will not take place this week.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics, will resume in the fall.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter,will resume in the fall.
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver in the Small Social Hall. For more information please contact Rabbi Binyamin Silver: firstname.lastname@example.org or Rabbi Hillel Shaps: email@example.com
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the room behind the Balcony, will resume July 24.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM, in the Social Hall.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613?Appreciating Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash, will resume in the fall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Kesubos, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM in the Social Hall.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth rooms behind the Balcony.
1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM.
Girls meet in the main lobby.
Boys meet outside the Social Hall.
Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Tot Shabbat – with Suri Kinzbrunner 10:30 AM – 11:00 AM in the toddler room for ages 2 and under.
YISE Programs and Listings
Accounting System Update As we enter the new fiscal year, we will be sending all members a welcome email so they can set a password to login to ShulCloud to pay their Shul bills. If you don't have an email on file with the Shul, or would like to confirm/update the address, contact the office at firstname.lastname@example.org If you would like to receive bills on paper, contact the shul office. Otherwise, all members with email addresses in the system will receive bills only via email.
Mikvah Cleaning – The Cheryl Stern Community Kelim Mikvah will be closed for cleaning the week of July 22.
Advances in Cancer Treatment – Sunday, July 28, 10:30 AM – 12 Noon in the YISE Small Social Hall. Learn about new techniques, their potential, how they work. Understand different treatment stages, how to advocate for yourself, and locate resources. Hear about coping with cancer and glean insights about quality of life issues. See flyer for details.
Community Service Day – Be part of a Community Service Day on Sunday, August 4 from 12 Noon – 2:00 PM, sponsored by YISE, KMS and Chabad of Silver Spring. Volunteer at A Wider Circle distribution center, 9159 Brookville Rd., Silver Spring, MD – 301-608-3504. Help sort through donations, stock shelves, or load trucks. Great activity for most ages – individuals, families, and groups welcome. Upper School students get community service hours. For more information and to RSVP, please contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com
First-time volunteers should fill out the waiver form: http://awidercircle.org/wp-content/uploads/Volunteer- Packet-2019-Waiver-Only.pdf Directions: Take Georgia Ave. south toward Silver Spring, turn right onto 16th St., right onto 2nd Ave., left onto Luzerne Ave. and park at Woodlin Elementary and walk around the dividing fence to A Wider Circle. A Wider Circle furnishes roughly 20 homes a day, thanks to the wonderful help of volunteers like you! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE
Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a Jewish history topic, Monday, August 5, 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. West in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For more information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Save the Date! YISE Annual BBQ – Sunday, August 18, 3:00 PM – 6:00 PM in the Social Hall. $10 per adult, $5 per child, family max. $45. Go to www.yise.org/bbq for seeflyer for details.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program is a service to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. By signing up, you are not committing to help with anything specific. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
This past weekend, Young Israel Shomrai Emunah hosted a series of security briefings for the community: the FBI's Civilian Response to an Active Shooter Event (CRASE) and a "Stop the Bleed" first-aid class. Offered at no charge, these classes empower individuals within our community to take personal responsibility for their own safety and security as well as to be in a position to assist others. Additional information related to the training sessions is available online at www.yise.org/training
This training was part of YISE's leadership in security preparedness within the National Capital Region and is not tied to any specific or credible threat to our community.
This Shabbos, Parshas Balak, YISE will conduct a short security briefing and drill specific to our building in each Minyan. This will include a lockdown drill during each Minyan. Congregants will be informed of the many tools in our integrated security plan to protect against various hazards, including an active shooter event. The President or Rabbi Rosenbaum will accompany our Shul Security Committee Chair, Seth Green, to each Minyan. Seth will detail advisable actions and tools available within your Minyan's space, highlight additional resources and tools throughout the building and provide information to allow each congregant to make an informed decision in case of emergency.
Community Programs and Listings
Shabbos afternoon Shiur at University Towers – 1121 University Blvd W, Apt 516, on Shabbos, July 20 at 4:30 PM
Yoetzet Halacha – Bracha Rutner will speak at KMS on Shabbos July 19 & 20. To meet with Bracha privately when she is here, please contact her directly at email@example.com
Tzurba M'Rabanan learning group meets every Shabbos. Men's group at 3:30 PM at the home of Moshe & Rose Litwack, 11302 Monticello Ave. Women's group at 4:45 PM at the home of Josh & Mickie Breitstein, 1215 North Belgrade Road.
Post High School Girls Shiur – Tuesday night, July 23, 8:30 PM at the Pepper home, 1101 North Belgrade Road. This week's Shiur will be given by Allison Ginsberg.
DC Lunch and Learn with Rabbi Grossman on "If It Feels Good, Do It? Jewish Law Perspectives on Recreational Drug Use and Legalization", Monday, July 22, 12 Noon -12:45 PM at Morgan, Lewis & Bockius, LLP Room 234. There is no cost for the lecture and kosher lunch. RSVP required to firstname.lastname@example.org
Rabbanit Yemima Mizrachi – Video presentation for women, July 22, 8:30 PM – CANCELLED
Mrs. Tammy Karmel – Shmiras Halashon – video presentation for women, Monday, July 22, 8:30 PM in Ohr HaTorah Social Hall. Mrs. Tammy Karmel is a woman battling ALS, whose Shiurim on Emunah and Bitachon have changed the lives of women around the world. No charge. Sponsorship available.
Daf Yomi Shiur meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before the YISE late Mincha.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, July 24, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Ovadia Hayat at email@example.com for more info.
Boys Sunday Summer Learning and Pizza – GWCK invites boys entering 5th and 6th grades to learning and pizza with Rabbi Chaim Biberfeld. Sunday, July 28 – 10:15 AM -11:15 AM at Ben-Yehuda Pizza. No charge. Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Greater DC Diaper Bank empowers families and individuals in need throughout DC, Maryland, and Virginia by providing an adequate and reliable source for basic baby needs and personal hygiene products. You can donate diapers and other items in Kemp Mill at the Licht home, 11609 Yeatman Terrace. Leave your donation in the red bin by the front door. Include your contact information so the Diaper Bank can let you know how much your donation is appreciated. To find out more about the work DC Diaper Bank does, visit www.dcdiaperbank.org If you have questions, contact Panina Licht at email@example.com
We accept the following NEW and unexpired items: Diapers & pullups (open packages accepted), formula, baby food & toddler snacks, new & unopened bottles and nipples, new & unopened pacifiers, food: non-perishable canned goods and dry goods, wipes, diaper rash cream, tampons/pads (open boxes OK if individually wrapped), shampoo/conditioner, deodorant, toothbrushes/toothpaste for adults and children, lotion for adults and babies, adult diapers- sealed packages only, cloth diapers, toilet paper, soap. We also accept the following gently used items: Potty training seats, baby bathtubs. We don't accept: postpartum hospital supplies, cribs/mattresses, breast pumps or pump parts, used bottles or feeding supplies, clothes.
Capital Kosher Pantry – The shelves at Yad Yehuda's Capital Kosher Pantry need restocking. Please help us replenish the foods so very needed by your friends and neighbors. Items most needed at this time include: Almond or soy milk, apple juice, canned fruit, cereals, granola/snack bars, healthy grains (farro, rice mixes), juice packs, pancake syrup, pareve crackers, pasta sauce, pizza sauce, rice cakes and vegetarian baked beans. Please DO NOT donate pasta or matzah. All items must be factory sealed in unbreakable containers, Kosher and well within the use-by date. Donation boxes are located in area shuls, Berman Hebrew Academy, Moti's Market, Shalom Kosher, Torah School, YGW Girls Division and in front of Yad Yehuda House at 1910 University Boulevard West. You may also visit yadyehuda.org/pantry to shop online and have products shipped directly to the Pantry. Our friends and neighbors in need rely on your generous assistance. Thank you so much for doing your part.
Kollel Dirshu of Silver Spring is studying Maseches Gittin at the YGW. Daily morning shiur given by Rabbi Eli Reingold at 5:45 AM and evening shiur by Ranon Cortell and Pinchas Werner at 9:00 PM. Chavrusah are also available during these learning times. For more information and to join our learning program please contact Hirsh Komarow (301) 681-1646; firstname.lastname@example.org
Dirshu Mishnah Brurah – Learn Chelek Daled with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Learn the Halachos of Eruvin and Techumin. Finish the Chelek in eleven months! Monday through Thursday at YISE after Maariv. For more information contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd., will resume July 24.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Rd., will resume July 28.
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services or to volunteer.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday, July 21 – Shiva Asar B'Tammuz Monday July 22 Tuesday July 23 Wednesday July 24 Thursday July 25 Friday July 26
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15,6:45,7:35,8:30 6:30,6:55,7:35,8:30 6:30,6:55,7:35,8:30 6:15,6:45,7:35,8:30 6:30,6:55, 7:35,8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Ashkenazi 2:00 / 7:50, 8:50 8:15 8:15 8:15 8:15 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 8:00 8:10 8:10 8:10 8:10
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:04 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:36 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:51 PM
July 26 – 27, 2019 – 24 Tammuz 5779
Light Candles: Friday by 8:07 – Havdalah: 9:10
* Light Candles by 8:07, and not before 6:55
Ashkenazi: 6:40, 7:10, 8:10 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 8:05 Sephardi: 7:50 Nusach Sefard: 8:05
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:10
Shabbos, July 27 Bar Mitzvah of Avi Heart, 8:45 Main Minyan
Sunday, July 28 Advances in Cancer Treatment, 10:30 AM
Sunday, August 18 YISE Annual Barbecue. 3:00 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, July 24 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday: 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager