Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
July 15 – 16, 2022 – 17 Tammuz 5782 – Parshas Balak
Light Candles by 8:15 – Havdalah 9:20
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored by Sheila Gaisin, Miriam & Rabbi Elchanan Adler, Meredith & Tal Benschar, Kelly & Arthur Gaisin, Deborah & Daniel Gaisin, Jeremy Gaisin, Shera & Reuven Gaisin, Chanalee & Shlomo Gaisin, and Drs. Gail & Avi Glicksman in loving memory of Dr. Allen Gaisin, Eliyahu Ben Menachem Mendel Hakohen, Z"L, on the occasion of his 3rd Yahrzeit.
Minyan locations are listed as B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall. LBM = Large Beis Medrash, SBM = Small Beis
* Light Candles by 8:15, and not before 7:01
* Mincha: 6:45 (Plag, S), 7:15 (B), 8:15 (B), 7:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:00 (B), 8:10 (B), 8:05 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 9:20
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 9:15 Minyan Rabbi Postelnek
* Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura Rabbi Postelnek
* Shiur after Mincha Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* The Hashkamah Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by Sahra & Yale Ginsburg to thank those who are annual members of the Hashkamah Minyan Group, and to encourage others to join.
* The Shul Kiddush is sponsored by the Gaisin Family in loving memory of their beloved husband, father, grandfather, greatgrandfather and brother, Dr. Allen Gaisin, Eliyahu Ben Menachem Mendel Hakohen, Z"L, on the occasion of his 3rd Yahrzeit.
Fast of Shiva Asar B'Tammuz
Sunday, July 17
* Fast Begins 4:17 AM
* Early Mincha 2:00 PM
* Mincha 7:50 PM
* Maariv 8:50 PM
* Fast Ends 9:19 PM
* Any person eligible for a fully FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine (16 years of age or older), but who chooses to not be vaccinated may attend YISE Minyanim and events with the following guidelines. Unvaccinated individuals must remain masked at all times while in the Shul building, including at Kiddushes and/or other events containing food. Masks may not be removed to eat or drink. Exceptions will be made for private functions being held at the Shul, but that are not Shul sponsored events.
* Anyone with any of the following symptoms should not come to shul: fever of 100.4 degrees or higher, chills, muscle aches, sore throat, severe cough, headache, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue, congestion or runny nose, or new loss of sense of taste or smell. If you have tested positive for COVID, you should follow the CDC guidelines.
* Masks are now optional for vaccinated adults and for children under 16.
* There are no social distancing requirements in the YISE building.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
YISE Youth Announcements
Shabbos Groups this Shabbos, July 16, from 10:00 AM until Shul ends. Age 18-36 months (Mommy & me) in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 2-5 years (drop off) in the room behind the balcony. Ages 6-9 years will meet at Shomrai and walk over to the Yeshiva. For more information, contact Debbie Katz at at firstname.lastname@example.org
Calling All Rising 5th and 6th Grade Boys!! Rabbi Rosenbaum is learning weekly with rising 5th and 6th grade boys one hour before Mincha in the YISE Social Hall. Bring your hard questions! Refreshments will be served.
Parsha in the Park – Meet up with your buddies in the park, hear some Parsha insights, and cool off with delicious treats! 4:00 PM in the Kemp Mill Urban Park (across from YISE) on July 23, August 13 and August 20. See flyer for details.
YISE Programs and Listings
Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura – A weekly Chabura in the Nesivos Shalom on the Parsha. Delve into the deeper dimensions of the Parsha and Holidays by learning the Nesivos Shalom's weekly insights. Begins at 8:55 AM Shabbos mornings in the Social Hall. This Shiur will be given by Rabbi Postelnek.
Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur – Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman will give the Gemara Shiur after the Hashkamah Minyan Kiddush, learning Maseches Sanhedrin, in the Small Beis Medrash.
Tzeischem L'Shalom – Next Shabbos, July 23, help us wish Anita & Elliot Goodman a Tzeischem L'Shalom at a special Shalosh Seudos. Come join us on July 23. All are invited. For more information, please contact Simi Franco, email@example.com or Stuart Cohen at 301-943-5153.
Living Shabbos – Join YISE young professionals for a new series on the laws of Shabbos with Rabbi Postelnek. Tuesdays, 8:15 PM – 9:00 PM, at the home of David & Tamara Goodman, 11611 Kemp Mill Road. For questions or to join the WhatsApp group contact Rabbi Postelnek at firstname.lastname@example.org Recordings available at https://wp.yise.org/living-shabbos See flyer for details.
Tradition and Minhagim – Learn how, when and why customs are created & explore the background of common customs. Monday, July 18, Sunday, July 24 and Sunday, July 31, 9:00 PM on Zoom A. See flyer for details. Seeing the Hand of Hashem…In Daily Life – Presented by the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project. Next lecture, "Seeing the Hand of Hashem in Daily Life," with Mrs. Sharon Freundel on Sunday, July, 24, 10:30 AM on Zoom A. Recordings at wp.yise.org/hand-of-hashem See flyer for details.
A Wider Circle – Join YISE and KMS in volunteering at A Wider Circle on Sunday, July 31, from 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM. For more information, and to RSVP for an hour or two, contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com Upper school students can get community service hours. See flyer for details.
Ask the Rabbi – Come join our virtual, interactive monthly program featuring different Halachic topics! This month's topic: Tzedakah. The first 45 minutes is for Shailos submitted in advance and the last 15 minutes is for Q & A. Send in your questions about Tzedakah to: AskTheRabbi@yise.org by Sunday, July 31. The program will take place on Tuesday, August 2, 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM on Zoom A. For more info. and to submit questions by phone or anonymously, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org To sponsor the program, please contact the YISE office. See flyer for details.
Kiddush Volunteers Needed! As we return to a regular schedule of Kiddushes, volunteers are needed from ALL Minyanim to help set up and clean up for Kiddushes on Shabbos morning. Times vary. Let us know when you are available. Contact Barbara Price at 301-332-8181.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Thank you to the Shiurim Sponsors for this Past Week:
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in memory of Rabbi Hyatt, Z"L, and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur
Rabbi Grossman's Hashkama Minyan Gemara Shiur
* Chani & Jay Parness in honor of children & grandchildren
Rabbi Rosenbaum's 8:45 Minyan Shabbos Drasha
* Alan & Fran Broder to commemorate the Shloshim of Fran's mother, Glicka Creeger, Glicka Bas Yoshiyahu Yosef, Z"L, on the 17th of Tammuz.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Monday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
* Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur, Shabbos Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The 8:45 and 9:15 Shabbos Drashas are both available for sponsorship at $54 each.
4. Yom Tov Drasha Sponsorships are $72 each.
Please email email@example.com to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Options for in-person and remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to:
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday, 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:00PM, Zoom A, will not take place on Sunday, July 17, or Monday, July 18.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Mishlei, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:50 AM Shiurim, in the Social Hall:
* Illuminating Inquiries in Halacha – Rabbi Yitzchak Mandel
* Judaism 102: Fundamentals for the Experienced Jew – Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Navigating Navi: Sefer Yehoshua – Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Parsha Perspectives: An Exploration of Engaging Parsha Topics – Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info., contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same Page Gemara – in person in the Social Hall
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Reading Responsa – Zoom D.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom H.
* For Women – Zoom I
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter, is on summer break.
* SCP (Semichat Chaver Program) – Tuesdays at 8:45 PM. Join the fastest growing Halacha learning program in the world! Now back in person at YISE. Register at gwckollel.org/scp
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy's Gemara Shiur, Masechet Chulin, Sunday through Friday, 6:35 AM – 7:20 AM, in the Franco Beit Midrash.
* Chavrusa Learning – Monday nights in the Social Hall, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM. For more information, contact Rabbi Levy 240-423-8810.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurim for men & women, Mondays at 9:00 AM, studying Parashas Hashavua, Zoom B
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", Zoom E, is on summer break.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Bava Kama 9th Perek Merubah. Wednesday evenings, 7:30 PM on Zoom G.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 833 3477 1595, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom E: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom F: ID: 349 754 2180, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
Zoom H: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
Zoom I: ID: 601 853 4021, password Winter
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
* Happy Birthday to Jack Calman from your Gansah Mishpocha in New York, Arizona and New Mexico.
Community Programs & Listings
Condolences to the family of Daniel Atkin on his passing.
Condolences to the family of Dr. Rolf Piekarz on his passing. Shiva is being observed through Wednesday morning at 6600 Pimlico Road, Baltimore, MD, 21209. Visiting hours: 10:00 AM – 12 Noon, 2:00 PM- 5:00 PM and 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM. Shacharis Sunday through Wednesday: 7:30 AM. Mincha/Maariv Sunday through Tuesday: 8:15 PM.
Mishnayos in Memory of Glicka Creeger – Sign up for Siyum Mishnayos for the Shloshim of Glicka bas Yoshiyahu Yosef, at http://hadranalach.com/2395
The Robin Niman Mikvah Education Fund presents: "Three Keys to Emotional and Physical Intimacy: Setting the Tone for a Strong Marriage" with Rochel Goldbaum, on Tuesday, July 19, at 8:30 PM on Zoom. For women only. Meeting ID: 846 6058 5670. Passcode: 834947.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, July 20, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM, in the YISE Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more info.
Is Covid Over? If Not, What Do I Need to Know? Rabbi Dr. Aaron Glatt will answer questions on July 25, 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM on Zoom. Go to https://www.bikurcholimgw.org/calendar for registration information. Presented by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington.
The Yasom in Your Classroom – All educators, school administrators & guidance counselors, community Chesed organizations, Rabbonim & Rebbetzins, and mental health professionals are invited to attend this unique professional development opportunity. Rabbi Nosson Muller, Menahel of Yeshivas Tiferes Tzvi in Chicago, will present this free program on Wednesday, August 3, 4:45 PM at Ohev Sholom Talmud Torah, 18320 Georgia Avenue, Olney, MD, as part of the Yarchei Kallah program for Mechanchim and Mechanchos. Questions? Contact Rabbi Shields at firstname.lastname@example.org
Alshich on the Parsha with Rabbi Levy – Shabbat afternoon between Mincha and Maariv in the Franco Beit Midrash.
Zoom Shiurim with Rabbi Levy – Monday through Friday on Zoom, Meeting ID: 636 563 5989. Alshich – 9:20 AM – 10:15 AM. Gemara Ribit 10:15 AM – 11:30 AM. Hilchot Lashon Hara 12:45 PM – 1:45 PM.
MitzvahCycle/MitzvahRun 2022 – Join Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington on Sunday, September 11, to bike, run or walk to support patients and their loved ones in our community. Fun, food and family-friendly activities. Register at www.mitzvahcycle.org Email email@example.com for more info.
YGW Kollel Zichron Amram Machshava – Probing Jewish Thought Through the Works of Rav Yitzchak Hutner, ZT"L, with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold, Rosh Kollel, Sundays at 8:00 PM on Zoom, Meeting ID: 825 0731 6850, Passcode: 1216613. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
Michtav M'Eliyahu: Thought and Perspective of Rav Eliyahu Dessler – Join Rabbi Yosef Musicante as he begins to explore Rav Dessler's perspectives on Kabbalas Hatorah – Receiving the Torah! Mondays – 8:30 PM at SEHC, 10900 Lockwood Drive and on Zoom, Meeting ID: 279 256 7843 Password: Learn
Dirshu – Please join Dirshu, which began Bava Metzia on December 20. Shiur options at YGW: Monday – Friday, 5:45 AM (R. Reingold) or Monday – Thursday, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM (R. Cortell/R. Werner). About 2.5 Daf covered each week.
Parsha Explorations with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Presented by the Greater Washington Community Kollel and Kemp Mill Synagogue, Sunday evenings, 7:30 PM at KMS and on Zoom, Meeting ID: 655 813 1022, Passcode: 365636. For men and women.
TGN Program: Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Siddur with Mrs. Esther Dziadek, Wednesday mornings, 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM, on Zoom B. For more information call 301-732-1773 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments, shopping, etc. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. COVID-19 precautions are followed forthe health of drivers and riders. Contact email@example.com, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more info.
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? IZUN is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Go to https://getizun.org or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online weekdays via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at email@example.com to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM. Shabbos in-person 1-1/2 hours before the main YISE Mincha, at the Yeshiva.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday, July 17 – Shiva Asar B'Tammuz
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 4:24 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 5:00 AM, Latest Netz: 6:02 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:35 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:51 PM, Earliest Shkia: 8:27 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim 9:19 PM
July 22 – 23, 2022 – 24 Tammuz 5782
* Light Candles by 8:10, but not before 6:58
* Mincha: 6:45 (Plag, S), 7:10 (B), 8:10 (B), 7:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:00 (B), 7:55 (B), 7:50 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 9:14
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, July 20 at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 Email: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM,
Friday: 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager