Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
May 3 – 4, 2019 – 29 Nissan 5779 – Parshas Acharei Mos/Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 7:44 – Havdalah 8:48
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by friends of Howie Schulman to thank Simi Franco, Josh Breitstein and Sammy Franco for their help with the March 30 Kiddush.
* Jacqueline & Rabbi Haim Arzouan and family on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson, Eli , son of Aviva & Eilan Aghbashoff of Kew Gardens Hills, NY.
* Chana & Paul Berner on the engagement of their granddaughter, Hadassah Levi, daughter of Yaelle & Pesach Levi, to Avraham Tzvi Einhorn, both of Lakewood, NJ.
* Nancy Karkowsky on the birth of a grandson, Amitai Avraham, to proud parents, Hasya Pearlman & Zev Karkowsky of Baltimore. Mazal Tov also to big sister, Ora Aviva, big brother Yehoshua Pinchas, and the entire Karkowsky-Pearlman family.
* Bev Morris & Art Boyars on the birth of a son to their children Dova Boyars & Jake (Yanky) Adler. Mazal Tov also to grandparents Nechie & Rabbi Pinny Adler of Cleveland.
* Jack & Wendee Rutner on the birth of twin girls to Efrat Rutner & Justin Zisquit, of Hollywood, FL, on the second day of Pesach.
* Sharon & Michael Shimoff on the Bas Mitzvah of their daughter, Noa. Mazal Tov to siblings Dovie, Eli, and Yonah. Mazal Tov to grandparents June & Peter Olster and the extended family.
* Charlotte Weill and the entire Weill family on the birth of a great-grandson, Yitzchok Isaac Kalikstein. Mazal Tov to grandparents Leah & Bezalel Weill and to parents Pessy & Dr. Avraham Kalikstein of West Hempstead, NY.
* Hannah Gershon on the passing of her son, Simcha Gershon. The funeral took place in Israel. Shiva is being observed at the home of Zev Gershon in Beit Shemesh. During Shiva, Hannah may be reached at 02 999 0690 or email@example.com
* Mark & Dina Livingston on the passing of their son, Yosef Livingston. Shiva is being observed at 1111 University Blvd. West, Apt. 504, through Sunday morning. Shacharis Sunday 7:00 AM.
* Light Candles by 7:44, and not before 6:35
Ashkenazi: 6:20, 6:45, 7:45 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:15 Sephardi: 7:05 Nusach Sefard: 7:15
Seudah Shlishit in memory of Rav Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, will take place in the Social Hall following Mincha.
* Shabbos Ends: 8:48
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – Rabbi Levy in honor of the marriage of his daughter, Miriam Mazal Levy, to Alexander Domberg, and by Israel Barda in memory of his father, Avraham ben Rut.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Sharon & Michael Shimoff in honor of Noa's Bas Mitzvah.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur 9:00 AM, Rabbi's Study.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 6:20 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the balcony, will resume May 15.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, in the Beis Medrash. Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Sage Wisdom with Rabbi Moshe Sadwin
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall, will resume May 26.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An indepth analysis.
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Silver in the Small Social Hall. See flyer for details.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM, in the Social Hall.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? Appreciating Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Kesubos, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM in the Social Hall.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth rooms behind the Balcony. 1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Chometz after Pesach
Chometz may be purchased from the following stores immediately after Pesach 2019:
* All Capitol K establishments and caterers.
* National stores: Aldi, BJ's, Costco, CVS, Food Lion, Harris Teeter, Kmart, Petco, PetSmart, Rite Aid, Royal Farms, Save-A-Lot, Sam's Club, Shoppers Food and Pharmacy, Trader Joe's, Walgreens, Walmart, Wegmans, Whole Foods Market, Winn-Dixie
* Stores in our community: H Mart, MOM's Organic Market, ShopRite of White Oak
Chometz may not be purchased from Snider's until four weeks after Pesach.
Due to possible Chometz distributed by a Jewish company, if one has an option of purchasing Chometz from other stores, it is commendable not to purchase Chometz from Giant, Safeway, and Target until four weeks after Pesach.
Community Learning in Memory of Rabbi Anemer, ZT"L
In commemoration of Rabbi Anemer's ninth Yahrzeit, Rabbi Rosenbaum and the YISE Adult Education Committee invite the community to learn L'zecher Nishmas Rav Anemer, ZT"L.
All are welcome to participate in the Shul's new seven week learning program that will culminate in the Seudah Shlishit in memory of Rav Anemer, ZT"L, this Shabbos, Acharei Mos, May 4. Over seven weeks, we have studied a Perek (chapter) a week of Hilchos Talmud Torah of the Rambam's Mishnah Torah.
In addition to independent learning, each Sunday the Shul sent out an article from Rabbi Rosenbaum or Rabbi Silver on a topic discussed in each week's Perek. Links to the weekly learning and articles are available at: https://wp.yise.org/rabbianemer-learning Please feel free to contact Bob Levi at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
YISE Programs and Listings
We welcome new members who were voted in at the last Board meeting: Mrs. Corey Heart and Mr. Vadim Zhitnikov.
Toddler Room Renovation – The toddler room is being renovated thanks to a generous donor. Due to the work in process, the room is not currently available for use.
Annual Yom HaShoah v'Hagvurah Program – featuring Edith Mayer-Cord. Sunday, May 5, 7:30 PM at YISE. Children grades 5 and above are encouraged to attend the program with their parents. Sign language interpreter will be available upon request. See flyer for details.
"The Making of a Minhag: The Laws and Parameters of Jewish Customs – Part Two" – The Greater Washington Community Kollel in conjunction with YISE invites men and women of the community to a lecture by Rabbi Moshe Walter, Rabbi of Woodside Synagogue Ahavas Torah. Sunday, May 19 at 9:30 AM at YISE. See flyer for details.
YISE Women's Learning Initiative presents Erev Shavuos learning for women, Shabbos, June 8 at 5:30 PM in the Belonofsky Sanctuary. Renowned teacher Mrs. Sharon Freundel will speak on "Aseres HaDibros in Poetry and Prose." For more information, contact Judy Rosenthal, email@example.com
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, May 6, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W. in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For more info, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program is a service to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. By signing up, you are not committing to help with anything specific. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Community Programs and Listings
Tzurba M'Rabanan learning group meets this Shabbos, May 4. Men's group at 3:30 PM at the home of Moshe & Rose Litwack, 11302 Monticello Ave. Women's group at 4:45 PM at the home of Josh & Mickie Breitstein, 1215 North Belgrade Road.
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, May 4, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 516, at 4:00 PM.
A Time for Unity! – Special Shabbos afternoon speaker series. As we look forward to Shavuos, let us come together and find inspiration in the words of the Torah. Chabad of Silver Spring will be hosting distinguished Rabbis during the weeks between Pesach and Shavuos. This Shabbos, May 4, Rabbi Brahm Weinberg, KMS. All Shiurim at Chabad, 519 Lamberton Drive, 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM. Women and men are invited.
Golden Network Caregiver Support Group – Sunday, May 5, 10:15 AM – 11:15 AM at KMS, room F. This group is geared towards Jewish women whose spouses are living at home or are in a medical facility and are affected by a chronic physical illness or a cognitive condition. For more information or if you plan to attend please contact: Hedy Peyser, MSW, email@example.com
"Chinuch: the Home-School Partnership – Teenage Behavior: Child or Mini-Adult" – Session 3 of a three-part series on adolescent education with Rav Ahron Lopiansky, Rosh HaYeshiva of YGW. Monday, May 6, 8:00 PM at the YGW Boys Campus, 1216 Arcola Ave. To RSVP or for more information, contact Rabbi Amram Hes firstname.lastname@example.org, 301-649-7077 ext. 1528.
Dor Yeshorim – YGW has made arrangements for Dor Yeshorim to come to both campuses on Tuesday, May 7, to conduct screening for genetic diseases. For 30 years, Dor Yeshorim has provided testing for recessive genetic diseases, such as Tay-Sachs, Cystic Fibrosis, and Fanconi Anemia that can affect the community. Roshei Yeshiva, Rabbonim, and medical professionals strongly support these efforts to prevent these tragic diseases. This testing is open to men and women in the community. Women will be tested at the Girls Campus from 2:50 – 4:15 PM. Testing for men will begin at about 4:45 at the Boys Campus. The regular cost is $275 with match results available in a few weeks. For more information, please contact Mrs. Sima Jacoby – email@example.com
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, May 8, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
Annual Yom Ha'atzmaut Celebration – Wednesday, May 8 at the Berman Hebrew Academy, Sylvia S. Ely Auditorium, 13300 Arctic Avenue, Rockville, MD. Mincha at 7:10 pm, program begins at 7:30 pm. Followed by festive Maariv, dancing, and refreshments. Suggested donation: $10 per person, $30 max per family.
"Hidden Face," a documentary movie about the founding Rabbi of the Sanz-Klausenburg dynasty, will be shown on Sunday, May 12, 12:45 PM at E Street Cinema, and on Tuesday, May 21, 6:30 PM at Bethesda Row Cinema. Tickets available at the door and online at https://www.jxjdc.org/events/hiddenface For group discounts, contact Carolyn Hoehner at 1-202-777-3241 or CarolynH@edcjcc.org
Generations-in-Israel – Join AMIT Birah Chapter of Greater Washington, DC in honoring Donna Lawrence for her long-time commitment to AMIT and dedication to the children of Israel. We will hear from AMIT's president Debbie Moed. A light dairy catered dinner will be served. Wednesday, May 15, 7:00 PM at a private home in Silver Spring. Call 410-484-2223 or visit www.amitchildren.org/events to RSVP.
Taking Care of Ourselves – Body and Soul – The Mikvah Emunah Society of Greater Washington presents the third Shiur of a free 3-part learning series for women of all ages, Wednesday, May 15, 8:00 PM, at the Namrow Home – 6 Fulham Court. Join us as Mrs. Sara Malka Winter discusses "Meet Ruth – a Quintessential Woman"
Zichron Menachem Hair Drive – Grow your hair for a child with cancer! Choose an appointment for a free cut. Two days to choose from: Thursday, May 23 (Lag B'Omer) at Style Salon, and Tuesday, June 11 (day after Shavuos) at Progressions. To make an appointment, email "Hair" to email@example.com
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nazir. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more info, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daf Yomi Shiur meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before the YISE late Mincha.
Dirshu Mishnah Brurah – Beginning Monday, April 29, Dirshu Mishnah Brurah begins Chelek Daled with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Learn the Halachos of Eruvin and Techumin. Finish the Chelek in eleven months! Monday through Thursday at YISE after Maariv. For more information contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services or to volunteer.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday, May 5 – Rosh Chodesh Monday, May 6 – Rosh Chodesh Tuesday – May 7 Wednesday – May 8 Thursday, May 9 – Yom Ha'Atzmaut Friday – May 10
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:35*, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Ashkenazi 7:50 7:50 7:50 7:50 7:50 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:45 7:45 7:45 7:45 7:45
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:08 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:32 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:41 PM
* Thursday, May 9 – Yom Ha'Atzmaut – the Second Minyan at Arcola will meet at 6:35 with special additions. The other Shacharis Minyanim will meet at their regular times, without special additions.
May 10 – 11, 2019 – 6 Iyar 5779
Light Candles: Friday by 7:51 – Havdalah: 8:56
* Light Candles by 7:51, and not before 6:40
Ashkenazi: 6:25, 6:55, 7:55 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:50 Sephardi: 7:35 Nusach Sefard: 7:50
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:56
Shabbos, May 4 Seudah Shlishit in memory of Rav Anemer, ZT"L
Sunday, May 5 Yom HaShoah v'Hagvurah Program, 7:30 PM
Shabbos, May 11 Bar Mizvah of Yossi Bloch
Sunday, May 12 Annual Banquet
Shabbos, May 18 Rabbi Menachem Penner, Scholar-in-Residence
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, May 8 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday: 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager