Included in the PDF are the Israel Report, Likutei Torah, Hamaayan and GWCK Shabbos Delights, which are normally available next to the Shabbos Shorts at YISE.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
April 23 – 24, 2021 – 12 Iyar 5781 – Parshas Acharei Mos/Kedoshim
Light Candles by 7:35 – Havdalah 8:37
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Jerry Kaminetzky & family to express their heartfelt appreciation to Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum & the YISE community for their support during Jerry's bereavement on the sudden passing of his sister, Phyllis Rand, Z”L, and by Abby & Chaim Tor on their retiring in southern Florida. They want to thank YISE's staff and members. They appreciate the great experience & the learning they gained during 23 years in YISE. It was an experience to participate in the Shul's administration, as well as being part of prayers. It was a great experience to be a part of the Sephardi Minyan in the Ashkenazi Shul. They hope to keep in touch.
* Dr. Caroline & Eric Namrow on the engagement of their son, Jacob, to Shevi Berelowitz, daughter of Sara & Dr. Daniel Berelowitz of Jerusalem. Mazal Tov to siblings Zev, Dalya, Chani, and Yossi, as well as to grandparents Phyllis Namrow of Bethesda and Stephen Waldenberg of Leeds, UK.
* Debi & Max Rudmann on the birth of a granddaughter, Dalia hoshana. Parents are Ateret & Yosef Feldman of Baltimore. Mazal Tov also to aunt and uncle Elyse & Haim Gabay, uncle Aaron Paine, grandparents Leah & Eli Feldman, and the entire family.
* Lynn & Aron Trombka on the birth of a granddaughter, Tair Tziyon, born to Elana & Yosie Friedman of Stamford, CT.
* Manasseh Katz and Seth Katz on the passing of their father, Howard Katz. Shiva is being observed through Tuesday morning. Zoom: Meeting ID: 886 4014 4660 Passcode: 2021 Motzei Shabbos 9:30 PM – 11:00 PM and Sunday/Monday 12 Noon – 1:00 PM and 8:30 PM – 10:00 PM. Phone: Manasseh – 301-674-3785, Seth – 301-674-3749. Email: email@example.com
* Melvin Farber on the passing of his brother, Jack Farber. Shiva is being observed through Tuesday morning. Melvin can be reached during Shiva at 240-461-2830.
Limited Minyanim are now taking place at YISE under Montgomery County's Phase 2 guidelines. All Minyanim require advance registration and confirmation. If you are interested in attending Minyanim and have not registered, please go to https://www.yise.org/minyan If you are registered for a Minyan and are unable to attend at that time, please do not go to a different Minyan. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* Light Candles by 7:35
* Mincha: 6:10, 7:35, 7:30 (Sephardi)
If you Daven Kabbalas Shabbos prior to Shkia (7:53 PM), it is preferable to Daven Mincha prior to Plag (6:28 PM).
* Shacharis: 7:00, 9:00, 9:30, 8:00 (Sephardi)
* Mincha: 2:30, 5:00, 7:30, 6:55 (Sephardi)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 8:37
YISE Youth Announcements
Fostering Friendships in Young Children and Other Life Skills – Presented by YISE Youth Committee. Featuring Anne Ciner, Psy.D. Recording available at https://wp.yise.org/fostering-friendships/
Lag Ba'Omer at Sandy Spring Adventure Park – Thursday, April 29, 5:30 PM – 9:00 PM. RSVP to email@example.com by April 14. Sold out!
Camp Shomrai is back for another fun-filled summer with programming for children in preschool through ninth grade! Camp runs from July 5th through August 13th. For more info or to register online, visit our website at https://campshomrai.org See flyer for details.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Sunday through Friday 8:30 AM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday 7:00 PM – Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now studying Sefer Yehoshua, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men and Women – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM.
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom F.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings, Zoom I.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM (except as noted). For more info. contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361.
* For Men & Women – Zoom C (except as noted):
* Mondays: (for men only) Rabbi H. Shaps, On the Same Page Gemara, Zoom B.
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Grossman – Parshas Hashavua, 9:00 PM.
* For Women – Zoom D
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys
* Tuesdays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Bereishis in-Depth
* Semichat Chaver Program, Tuesdays at 9:00 PM with Rabbi Hillel Shaps. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps: email@example.com New session began April 20. Registration required at gwckollel.org/scp See flyer for details.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM, Zoom E.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, ¡§A Second Look-Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective¡¨, Zoom H.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Gittin on Wednesday evenings, 8:00 PM, Zoom G.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 349 754 2180, password Learn
Zoom C: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom D: ID: 601 853 4021, password Winter
Zoom E: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom F: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom G: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
Zoom H: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom I: ID: 269 840 3648, password online Pearls, phone 621690
YISE Programs and Listings
Family Trivia Night – Sunday, April 25, 8:30 PM. Fun for all ages. You don't want to miss this fun & delicious YISE pre-Lag-B'omer Event! 1st, 2nd and 3rd prizes awarded. The registration deadline for ordering your Ben Yehuda appetizer has passed. Pickup on Sunday 6:30 PM – 8:30 PM. If you have not registered, you can still participate in the Trivia Night. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
Financial Strategies for Parents – Learn about programs and assistance available to help with the costs of childcare and tuition. Tuesday. April 27, 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM on Zoom A. Hosted by YISE in partnership with Izun. See flyer for details.
Ask The Rabbi! Come join our virtual, interactive monthly program featuring Halachos of Shabbos and holidays! This month's topic: Yom Tov. How do I use my oven on Yom Tov? What may I do on the first day of Yom Tov for the second day? Tuesday, May 4, 8:30 PM – 9:30 PM on Zoom A. The first 45 minutes are for Shailos submitted in advance and the last 15 minutes are for Q & A. Send in your questions related to Yom Tov to: AskTheRabbi@yise.org by Sunday, May 2. For more information or to submit questions by phone, contact Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517 or email@example.com To sponsor the Shiur, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
April Hamizrachi Magazines – Limited quantity available. If you are interested in getting one, please email email@example.com
Come Join Rabbi Koss's Monthly Jewish History class on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee: Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, May 3, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom A. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Update: Being Social. In the past few months, YISE's Social Committee has organized a range of programs to bring us together virtually – Trivia Night, Painting, a Purim Shpiel… We have also expressed our thanks to the Holy Cross Hospital health workers and treated the Wheaton Rescue Squad to a special dinner. A second Trivia night is scheduled for Sunday, April 25. Watch for details. Want to help? Please contact email@example.com
Registration for Shomrai Preschool 2021-2022 is now open! We are excited to be offering a Torah-rich, child-centered program for children entering 2 year-old Nursery – 4 year-old Pre-K. School day runs from 8:30 AM – 3:00 PM. Extended care options available from 7:30 AM -8:30 AM and 3:00 PM – 6:00 PM. Register early for maximum savings! Visit our website for tuition rates and online registration at https://preschool.yise.org/registration For more information about the program email Sarah Dollman at firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. In order to continue this muchneeded medical fund, your financial help is needed! Tax-deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more info: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT”L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
* Outdoor Minyan – If you are interested in a Shabbos morning outdoor Minyan without a tent, subject to weather conditions, please email Ari Elias-Bachrach at email@example.com The outdoor Minyan location has changed – details will be sent with registration.
* Minyan Changes – We are making changes to the Minyan schedule to accommodate as many members as possible. Watch your email for details and make sure to check your email every Friday morning to get your personalized Minyan schedule for the following week.
* Advance registration for Minyanim is required and space is limited. Go to https://www.yise.org/minyan to register. If you have changes to your original registration form, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with details.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to email@example.com: Sponsor name, birthday or anniversary date, name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Our current limited ability to Daven with a Minyan and to say Kaddish is difficult and a challenge. However, sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Sunday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The Pre-Shabbos Drasha video is available for sponsorship at $54.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to this past week's Shiurim sponsors:
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha/Halacha Shiur
* Steve Kalin in honor of Rabbi Rosenbaum.
* Judy & Louis Morris in memory of Judy's brother, Raphael Ostrovsky, HaRav Rephael ben Akiva, Z¡¨L, whose Yahrzeit is the 9th of Iyar.
* Judy & Louis Morris in honor of the Yahrzeit of Judy's mother, Helen Ostrovsky, Hinda Kayla bas Yoel Yitzchak Zelig, whose Yahrzeit is the 12th of Iyar.
* Jay Rogal and Debbie Rogal to commemorate the Yahrzeit of Jay's father and Debbie's grandfather, Amiel Rogal, on the 7th of Iyar.
* Hannah & Robert Klein in memory of Howard Katz, Z¡¨L, an inspiring pillar of our Shul.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur
* Refuah Shlema to Sarah Haya bas Hinda
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Shiur
* Refuah Shlema to Chana bas Rosa
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in honor of a Refuah Sheleimah to Rabbi Hyatt and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those that attend his Shiur.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Erev Shabbos Drasha
* Abby & Chaim Tor on the 26th Yahrzeit of Chaim's father, Yosef ben Daniel v' Rivka on the 17th of Iyar.
Community Programs & Listings
A Time for Unity! – Special speaker series, Sunday evenings through May 9, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM, online at chabadsilverspring.com/zoom As we look forward to Shavuot, the season of the giving of our Torah, let us come together and find inspiration in the words of the Torah. Chabad of Silver Spring will be hosting distinguished rabbis again this year during the weeks between Pesach and Shavuot.
The Yad Yehuda Clothing Exchange has available hours for all members of the community to shop at no cost this Sunday from 10:00 AM – 12 Noon. This is an opportunity for people to come and shop for beautiful, Tzanua clothing in our well-equipped showroom, while wearing masks and maintaining social distancing. Everyone must be in good health and not have been in contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19. If you have any questions or would like to make an appointment for another day, please contact email@example.com
Yad Yehuda Donation Policy Update – Many unsolicited items are being dropped off at Yad Yehuda's office. We incur costs to dispose of those items. Please do not drop off: clothing/shoes/coats, household and baby items, electronics, books, Judaica/sheimos. Donations of non-perishable food for the Capital Kosher Pantry are welcomed and appreciated.
The Mikvah Emunah Society and The Robin Niman Mikvah Education Fund present “Pelvic Health Throughout a Woman's Lifespan”, an educational evening for women only via Zoom, on Tuesday, April 27 at 8:30 PM. Featuring guest speakers Diana Melnick, MA, RP, and Sara Klein, PT. Meeting ID: 827 3403 6163 / Passcode: 628955. See https://mikvahemunah.com/2021/04/14/pelvic-health-throughout-a-womans-lifespan/ for the full flyer.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, April 28, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Penetrating Thoughts and Practical Perspectives – Thoughts on life, Torah and Middos. Based on Michtav M'Eliyahu, from Rav Eliyahu Dessler, Z”L. Mondays, 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher. Zoom – Meeting ID: 736 4190 7086, Passcode: torah. Presented by YGW Kollel Zichron Amram. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
What Happened at Sinai: An Exploration of the Sinai Revelation and the Ten Commandments – Wednesdays, 8:00 PM on Zoom. Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. Join any time! No cost. Zoom info and registration at linksgw.org/classes
Remote Night Shiurim from YGW – Sunday 8:30 PM – 9:15 PM, Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate; Monday/Wednesday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky; Tuesday/Thursday 9:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1715843153121/WN_n6jNGqUpTpCN6ikCabUutA
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at email@example.com to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click “Sign Up.”
Kemp Mill Village is providing friendly phone calls and limited deliveries during the pandemic. Call 1-833-KMV-20902 to request service or to volunteer. See kempmillvillage.org for more information.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Monday, April 26 – Pesach Sheni
Friday, April 30 – Lag Ba'Omer
Limited Minyanim will take place at YISE next week, advance registration and confirmation required. You are encouraged to Daven at home at the same time as a Minyan at YISE. Shacharis: Sunday 6:30 AM/7:30 AM/8:45 AM; Monday/ Thursday 6:15 AM/6:45 AM/8:45 AM; Tuesday/Wednesday/Friday 6:15 AM/6:55 AM/8:45 AM. Mincha/Maariv: Sunday – Thursday: 7:45 PM.
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 4:50 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 5:21 AM, Latest Netz: 6:18 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:37 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:41 PM, Earliest Shkia: 7:55 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim: 8:45 PM
April 30 – May 1, 2021 – 19 Iyar 5781
Light Candles: 7:42
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, April 28 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com Website: www.yise.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Simi Franco – Office Manager