Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
April 29 – 30, 2022 – 29 Nissan 5782 – Parshas Acharei Mos/Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 7:41 – Havdalah 8:44
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week anonymously in memory of Sherry Glisson of Shalom Kosher Market and in honor and in gratitude to Larry Dekelbaum and his staff for the support and concern for Sherry during her illness. No wonder we are proud to be Shalom shoppers, especially having been there three times Erev Pesach most years;
and by Janette & Jerry Rapp to commemorate the Yahrzeit of Jerry's mother, Molly Rapp, Malka Bas Pinchos, Z"L, on the 1st of Iyar.
* Florence Binstock Avigan on the marriage of her granddaughter, Sara Barzel, daughter of Joy & Motti Barzel, to Baruch Abitbol. Mazel Tov also to aunt and uncle Karen & Howie Schulman and the entire family.
* Florence Binstock Avigan on the birth of a great-granddaughter, Talya, born to Yehudit & Daniel Shulman of Milwaukee. Mazel Tov to great aunt and uncle Karen & Howie Schulman and the entire family.
* Susan & Rabbi Saul Koss on the birth of another Sabra greatgrandson, Noam Koss, to Batel & Moshe Koss of Hashmonaim and to grandparents Miri & Rabbi Reuven Koss of Netivot.
* Jodi & David Mazel on the birth of a grandson, Johnny, Chaim Moshe Yehuda, born to their children Suzanne & Jack Voystock of New York City. Mazel Tov to big brother William, big sister Lizzie, Dodah Shayna, Uncle Jacob, and to the extended Mazel and Voystock families.
* Melissa & Chad Miller on the marriage of their daughter, Talya, to Chaim Horowitz of Baltimore. Mazel Tov to Chaim's parents, Shmuel & Ruth Horowitz. Mazel Tov to grandparents Harriet & Ernie Brodsky, Jane & Stephen Miller and Beverly & Richard Horowitz and to the all of the siblings and extended family.
* Linda & Ed Zurndorfer on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson, Ari, Shraga Feivel, son of Jenny & David Zurndorfer of West Hempstead, NY. Mazel Tov to the aunts, uncles and cousins and to the extended family.
* David Butler on the passing of his mother, Chantze Butler.
Minyan locations are listed as B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall. LBM = Large Beis Medrash, SBM = Small Beis Medrash
* Light Candles by 7:41, and not before 6:32
* Mincha: 6:15 (Plag, S), 6:45 (B), 7:45 (B), 7:15 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen Minyan, SBM)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:00 (B), 7:40 (B), 7:35 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 8:44
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Hanoch Teller – To Build the Impossible Scheme: The Founding of Israel's Most Improbable Community
* Sephardi Minyan Rabbi Postelnek
* Shiur before Mincha – 6:40 PM (B) Rabbi Hanoch Teller – The Ship That Launched a Nation
* Shiur after Mincha (B) Rabbi Hanoch Teller – Herzl's Jiu-Jitsu Maneuver and its Theological Implications for All of Us
* Hashkamah Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by Stuart & Laurie Cohen to commemorate the 9th Yahrzeit of Stuart's mother, Roberta Cohen, Chaya Rochel bas Yehuda Lev, Z"L.
* 8:45/9:15/Sephardic Minyan/Teen Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by Young Israel Shomrai Emunah and Ben Yehuda Pizza in honor of the Scholar-in-Residence, Rabbi Hanoch Teller.
Options for remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday, 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 7:00 PM (NOTE NEW TIME), Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Mishlei, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A, will resume Wednesday, May 11.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Returning in-person soon! Stay tuned for details.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info., contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same Page Gemara – in person in the Social Hall.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Reading Responsa – Zoom D.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom H.
* For Women – Zoom I
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys, will resume Monday, May 9.
* Tuesdays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Sefer Bereishis, will resume Tuesday, May 10.
* SCP (Semichat Chaver Program) – Tuesdays at 8:45 PM. Join the fastest growing Halacha learning program in the world! Now back in person at YISE. Register at gwckollel.org/scp New semester starts on Tuesday, May 3. See flyer for details.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy's Gemara Shiur, Masechet Chulin, Sunday through Friday, 6:35 AM – 7:20 AM, in the Franco Beit Midrash.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurim for men & women, Mondays at 9:00 AM, studying Parashas Hashavua, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", Zoom E.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Bava Kama 9th Perek Merubah. Wednesday evenings, 8:30 PM on Zoom G.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 978 8156 7874, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom E: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom F: ID: 349 754 2180, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 539 496 3506, password ygwarz
Zoom H: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
Zoom I: ID: 601 853 4021, password Winter
Yahrzeit of Rav Anemer, ZT"L
YISE will mark the 12th Yahrzeit of our esteemed and beloved Rav Anemer, ZT"L, on the second day of Rosh Chodesh Iyar, Monday, May 2 at 12 noon on Zoom A.
Rabbi Rosenbaum will learn Mishnayos and share brief remarks.
* The YISE Board has mandated that everyone 16 and older who is medically eligible for an FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 in order to enter the Shul building.
* Masks are now optional for adults and children.
* There are no social distancing requirements in the YISE building.
* The Shul office is still open, but hours may vary.
Let us Daven to Hashem to keep all of us in good health and to return our lives to normal as soon as possible. In protecting each other as we navigate this unfolding situation, may we grow stronger as individuals and as a community.
YISE Programs and Listings
Friday Night Oneg with Rabbi Hanoch Teller – 9:15 PM at the Postelnek home, 11600 Fillmore Drive, with Cholent, Kugel, singing, Divrei Torah and stories. See flyer for details.
Pre-9:15 Minyan Chabura – A weekly Chabura in the Nesivos Shalom on the Parsha. Delve into the deeper dimensions of the Parsha and Holidays by learning the Nesivos Shalom's weekly insights. Begins at 8:55 AM Shabbos mornings in the Social Hall. This Shiur will be given by Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
Yom HaShoah V'Hagvurah – 42nd annual program, featuring Irene Fogel Weiss. Presented by YISE and KMS on Zoom, Sunday, May 1, 7:30 PM, Meeting ID 655 813 1022, passcode 365636. Early Mincha at 5:00 PM and late Maariv at 9:30 PM at YISE. See flyer for details.
Come Join Rabbi Koss's Monthly Jewish History class on Zoom! Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee: Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish history, Monday, May 2, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM on Zoom A. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Yom Haatzmaut – Thursday, May 5, Yom Haatzmaut Shacharis Davening starting at 6:25 AM in the Belonofsky Sanctuary with expanded Davening and Tefilos in honor of Yom Haatzmaut.
Seeing the Hand of Hashem…In Nature – A lecture series presented by the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project. Third lecture, "In Biochemistry and Genetics," with John Golin will be on Sunday, May 8, 10:30 AM on Zoom A. Previous lectures are posted on yise.org
Kashrus in the Kitchen – Learn the background and practical laws of Kashrus. Tuesdays, 8:15 PM – 9:00 PM, at the home of David & Tamara Goodman: 11611 Kemp Mill Road. Given by Rabbi Postelnek. For questions or to join the WhatsApp group, contact Rabbi Postelnek at 571-340- 0227 or email@example.com Recordings available at https://wp.yise.org/kashrus-kitchen Shiur will resume after Pesach.
Volunteers Are Needed Weekly to help with Kiddushes. If you can help, please contact Simi Franco at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-593-4465 x103.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program helps members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary!
Looking for a way to celebrate someone's upcoming birthday or anniversary? For an $18 donation, you can include the name (birthday) or names (anniversary) in this section of the Shabbos Shorts. Please send the following information to email@example.com: Sponsor name, birthday or anniversary date, name (birthday) or names (anniversary). The birthday or anniversary will be listed in the Shabbos Shorts based on the date of the event.
Dvar Torah Dedications/Sponsor a Shiur
During this difficult time, we pray to Hashem that the day that we can all come together again in Tefillah and Torah study in good health arrives speedily. Until that point, YISE continues to offer a number of different remote learning options. These options are now available for sponsorship on an individual Shiur or a daily basis.
Sponsoring a Shiur or other Torah learning is a meaningful way to commemorate a Yahrzeit or honor a loved one. Sponsorships are also a great way to celebrate a Simcha or any other milestone, while helping YISE at a time when many of the Shul's other sources of revenue are not available.
1. The following individual Shiurim are available for sponsorship at $18 (per day):
* Daily Morning (Monday through Friday) Tehillim and Parsha Shiur
* Daily Evening (Sunday through Thursday) Tehillim and Halacha Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Sunday Morning Mussar Study Group for Women
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tuesday or Friday Morning Gemara Shiur for Men
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Morning Nach Shiur
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Wednesday Night Navi Shiur for Women
* Rabbi Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sunday Morning
2. Sponsorship of the Morning and Evening Tehillim and Parsha/Halacha Shiurim together is available for $25.
3. The 8:45 and 9:15 Shabbos Drashas are both available for sponsorship at $54 each.
4. Yom Tov Drasha Sponsorships are $72 each.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to sponsor. Thank you for your support.
Thank you to the Shiurim Sponsors for this Past Week:
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur
* David Jaray in memory of Rabbi Hyatt, Z"L, and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim/Parsha/Halacha Shiur
* Debbie Rogal in memory of Dr. Michael Gelfand, a model of Chesed, who epitomized the meaning of treating friends like family.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Navi Shiur
* Debbie Rogal in memory of Dr. Michael Gelfand, a model of Chesed, who epitomized the meaning of treating friends like family.
YISE Youth Announcements
Shabbos Groups this Shabbos, April 30, from 10:00 AM until Shul ends. Age 18-36 months (Mommy & me) in the toddler room off the Lower Lobby. Ages 2-5 years (drop off) in the room behind the balcony. Ages 6-9 years will meet at Shomrai and walk over to the Yeshiva. For more information, contact Debbie Katz at at email@example.com
Shabbos Groups Coordinator – We warmly welcome Esti Thurman as our new Shabbos Groups Coordinator. We wish Talya Miller a fond farewell and a heartfelt Mazel Tov on her marriage this past week.
Post-Pesach Pizza Fundraiser – Congratulations to our winners, Sahra Ginsburg and Iris Bashein. The fundraiser earned well over $300. We thank Ben Yehuda Pizza for supporting our YISE Youth in this wonderful way.
Bat Mitzvah Program – Create a seed mosaic picture. Discuss Ruth and Naomi and their impact on Jewish History. Note new date: Sunday, May 15, 1:30 PM – 3:00 pm in the Social Hall. RSVP by 4/25 to firstname.lastname@example.org Cost: $10 or free if already paid $36. See flyer for details.
Community Programs & Listings
Siyum Mishnayos in memory of Ariel Landy, Ariel Akiva Ben Elchanan. Sign up at http://www.lzechernishmas.com/signup.php?id=10444 Please complete your learning by 5 Nissan 5783, March 27, 2023.
Challah Bake – Sunday, May 1, Rosh Codesh Iyar, 11:00 AM at the KMS tents with the Mikvah Emunah Society of Greater Washington. A morning of song, dance, learning, inspiration and unity as we each mix, knead and shape our own Challah. Light refreshments will be served. Women only – students welcome. Registration required and space is limited. RSVP at www.mikvahemunah.com by April 10. Featuring Tzippy Levin and the Simcha Steps team.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, May 4, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at email@example.com for more info. Zoom meeting ID: 986 546 841, password: 3671
Women's Online Shiur with Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Free 1-hour shiur on Zoom on the first and third Sundays of each month at 8:30 PM (new time). Topic: Eishet Hayil, with principles from Mesilat Yesharim and weekly Sidra. In English. All levels of ability are welcome. You needn't attend every Shiur, but RSVPs are requested. Contact Shiur Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
YGW Kollel Zichron Amram Machshava – Probing Jewish Thought Through the Works of Rav Yitzchak Hutner, ZT"L, with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold, Rosh Kollel, Sundays at 8:00 PM on Zoom, Meeting ID: 825 0731 6850, Passcode: 1216613. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at 404-273-3392.
Dirshu – Please join Dirshu, which began Bava Metzia on December 20. Shiur options at YGW: Monday – Friday, 5:45 AM (R. Reingold) or Monday – Thursday, 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM (R. Cortell/R. Werner). About 2.5 Daf covered each week.
Parsha Explorations with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Presented by the Greater Washington Community Kollel and Kemp Mill Synagogue, Sunday evenings, 7:30 PM at KMS and on Zoom, Meeting ID: 655 813 1022, Passcode: 365636. For men and women.
TGN Program: Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Siddur with Mrs. Esther Dziadek, Wednesday mornings, 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM, on Zoom B. For more information call 301-732-1773 or email email@example.com
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This ishappening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments, shopping, etc. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. COVID-19 precautions are followed for the health of drivers and riders. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more info.
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? IZUN is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Go to https://getizun.org or email us at email@example.com
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets online weekdays via a WebEx video conference. There is still room for a few more participants. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 9:00 PM. Shabbos in-person at 7:30 AM in the YISE Social Hall.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday, May 1 – Rosh Chodesh
Monday, May 2 – Rosh Chodesh
Thursday, May 5 – Yom Haatzmaut
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 4:40 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 5:13 AM, Latest Netz: 6:11 AM,
Latest Krias Shema: 9:34 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:41 PM, Earliest Shkia: 8:01 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim: 8:52 PM
May 6 – 7, 2022 – 6 Iyar 5782
* Light Candles by 7:47, but not before 6:38
* Mincha: 6:20 (Plag, S), 6:50 (B), 7:50 (B), 7:15 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:00 (B), 7:45 (B), 7:45 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 8:52
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, May 4 at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Thursday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM,
Friday: 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Yale Ginsburg – President
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager