Download the July 19-20, 2013 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
July 19-20, 2013 – 13 Av 5773 – Parshas Vaeschanan / Shabbos Nachamu
Light Candles by 8:12 (and not before 7:00) – Havdalah 9:17
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Dova, Jack, and Michal Boyars, in honor of their parents and Shabbos Nachamu.
* Light Candles by 8:12, and not before 7:00
* Mincha 6:50 (Arcola Social Hall), 7:00 (Univ., Nusach Sefard and Sephardi), 7:15, 8:15
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:55 (Sephardi), 8:10 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 9:17
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Barry Greengart
* 8:45 Minyan Rabbi Yehuda Shinensky
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8 AM Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – In honor of Rena & Chaim Fruchter by Chaim's grateful Talmidim and their families.
* R' Pinchas Werner – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur on break until August 10.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur on Tefilah at 7:10 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 7:10 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 7:40 PM.
* Rabbi Josh Blaustein – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony. Shiur will resume on Sunday, July 28.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM-6:45 AM, Arcola Social Hall. Shiur will resume on Tuesday, July 30.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura will start with an introductory meeting on Tuesday, July 30, after Maariv.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash. Shiur will resume on Wednesday, July 31.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash. Shiur will resume on Wednesday, July 31.
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. Program will resume on Tuesday, August 13.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:10 PM before Mincha at University. Shiur will resume on Wednesday, August 21.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Join us as we continue the fascinating topic of "Dina D'malchusa Dina: The Intersection of Jewish and Secular Law." Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster independent Gemara proficiency. Shiur will resume on Thursday, August 15.
Like YISE on Facebook:
* Ozzie Burnham on his Aufruf and forthcoming marriage to Rachel Avigdor of New Haven, CT.
* Sue & Ray White on the birth of a grandson to their children Dina & Joe Ravitsky of Dallas.
YISE Programs and Listings
Help make a Minyan! – We are looking for volunteers who would like to participate in the Mitzvah of helping to make a Minyan three or four times per year. We are putting together a list in order to form a rotation to help the University Blvd. Shul make a Mincha/Maariv Minyan on Fridays and Shabbos days when they anticipate a shortfall. Please contact Melvin Sassoon at email@example.com to be part of this endeavor.
Rabbi's Vacation – Rabbi Rosenbaum will be away through July 25. Rabbi Hyatt and Rabbi Walter, of Woodside (301-980-8953) have kindly agreed to make themselves available for shaalos during that time. Anyone who needs to contact Rabbi Rosenbaum for an urgent matter should contact the office staff, who will contact him.
Camp Shomrai Annual Community Summer Carnival – Presented by YISE Nursery. This Wednesday, July 24 from 5:30 PM to 7:30 PM. Come and join us for lots of summer fun – waterslide, dunk tank, moon bounce, hotdogs on sale from Wrap2Go, cotton candy and popsicles. Bring children in bathing suits! Cover charge $5 per child aged 2 to 10 years old. Community welcome.
YISE Sisterhood Summer Seudah Shlishit Planning Meeting – This is your opportunity to get involved! We would love to have your ideas at the planning stage! The YISE Sisterhood Summer Seudah Shlishit is scheduled for Shabbos Parshas Ki Savo, August 24. Please join us at our first planning meeting, Sunday evening, July 21, at 7:30 PM, at the home of Esther Goldfeiz (516 Lamberton Drive). Subjects to be discussed include: Theme/decorations, Speaker, Menu. Please bring your ideas! For more information, contact Esther Goldfeiz at 301-793-1307 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Vicki Pollack at 301-318-2126 or email@example.com.
New Men's Shiur Starting – Oops, that was the Fleishig serving spoon you just used in the lasagna! Is dinner ruined?! A new Halacha Chabura is forming that will help you understand the answers to this and many other questions. Rabbi Rosenbaum will lead the Chabura, which will meet once a week after Maariv, to review materials provided by Yeshiva Pirchei Shoshanim. For more details, please contact Seth Jacobson at HalachaChabura@yise.org. An introductory meeting will be held Tuesday, July 30.
Job Assist Events:
* Beyond LinkedIn: Using Other Social Media in Your Job Search – Free workshop by Ronnie Baras. Tuesday, July 23, 7:30 PM – 9:00 PM, Kemp Mill Synagogue. To reserve a seat, please email DMarwick@JobAssist.org.
* Computer Training Online – (1) Computer Assisted Design (CAD), 6 sessions starting Sunday, July 21; (2) Word and Intermediate Excel, Monday, July 22; and (3) Powerpoint, Tuesday, July 23. Info and register at www.oujobs.org.
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony. Groups run 10 AM-11:15 AM. Please pick up your child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
The Women's Discussion Group will meet 5:30 PM at the home of Mrs. Klavan, 1006 Lamberton Drive. We will be reading "The Garden of Emunah."
Debbie Kipperman, a longtime and beloved member of the Woodside community and teacher of first grade at the MJBHA, was Niftar this week in Florida. Debbie's husband Zeev will be sitting Shiva through Tuesday morning in Kew Garden Hills, at the home of Judy & Rabbi Moshe Tuchman, 136-11, 72nd Road, 718-261-7676.
Calling all Mommies and Bubbies! Do you have lots of love to give, and maybe your grandchildren live elsewhere? Are your kids going back to school? There's a really yummy 2 year old in the Towers who needs lots of loving, cuddling, and your special attention. This sweet little girl has gone through tremendous medical challenges and now is looking for the special loving that bubbies or mommies can bring. A half an hour to an hour a week will give you incredible joy and access to a very special mitzvah! Contact Chava Kern at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Mesorah Women's Learning Institute Presents:
* Three Different Kings, Three Different Perspectives Topics from Melachim Alef – Mrs. Esther Schwarz, Wednesday, July 24 at the home of Mrs. Ita Mond, 527 Northwest Drive, 8:00 PM. Tuition $18. Women only.
* Nine Ways of Understanding Tefillos That Seem to Go Unanswered – Rebbetzin Nechama Karlinsky, Wednesday, July 31, Southeast Hebrew Congregation at 8:00 PM. Tuition $10. Women only.
* A Woman's Ticket to Eternity: Discover Your Inner Strengths – Mrs. Chana Silver, Sunday, July 28, Southeast Hebrew Congregation at 8:00 PM. Tuition $10. Women only.
For more information visit www.mesorahwomenslearninginstitute. com or contact Sorah Rivkah Goodman at 301-681-6347 or email@example.com.
Learn the Correct Way to Lead the Congregation in Prayer – with Cantor Yehoshua Redfern in Kemp Mill beginning this coming Sunday evening, July 21. "Davening Skills Workshop" focusing on "Shabbos Shacharis." Customized digital recordings for all students, voice training, inspirational congregation Nigunim to enhance your Davening. To register: 301-592-1420 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fill the Void – Special screening of the critically acclaimed film, by Rama Burshtein, Monday, July 22, 15 Av, Tu B'Av, at the Bethesda Landmark Theater, 7235 Woodmont Avenue, Bethesda, 7:30 PM. Advance purchase required. Visit www.mjbha.org to purchase today. Tickets: $15/per person; $25/two tickets.
Science Has Discovered G-d – Even Atheists Agree! Does science confirm or challenge the existence of G-d? Join renowned lecturer Dr. Gerald Schroeder as he demonstrates how the "force" discovered by cosmologists that created our magnificent universe has the identical characteristics as the G-d of the Bible. Indeed, science has truly discovered G-d. Wednesday, July 31 at 7:30 PM at the Aish Center, 11418 Old Georgetown Rd., Admission: $15 with advance registration, $20 at the door, $10 for Aish members For more information please visit www.aishdc.org.
Join the SEED Guys! The Yeshiva of Greater Washington, together with Torah Umesorah, is excited to bring to the community a summer earning and activity program. Through August 2. For boys going into grades 6-11. Davening/ Breakfast: 8:30- 9:45. (Bring your own cereal; milk and paper goods will be provided.) Learning: 9:30 AM – 12:30 PM. Lunch: 12:30 PM (bring your own dairy lunch). Activity: 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM: Sports, Swimming, Trip once a week. Cost: FREE (except cost of the trips). The SEED Guys will be available to learn with men and boys in the evenings. A schedule of synagogue placements will be forthcoming. For more information and to sign up contact Rabbi Simcha Merkin at 301-962-5111 ext. 1522 or email@example.com. Program will be held at the YGW Boys Campus.
Volunteer for the Chevra Kadisha – The Chevra Kadisha of Greater Washington needs volunteers to conduct Taharot, the process by which bodies of Jews are prepared for burial according to Jewish tradition. For more information or to volunteer: For men, contact Saul Singer, SSinger@dcbar.org. For women, contact Devorah Grayson, firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-438-7060.
Save the date and reserve your booth today for the the Beacon 50+ Expo – Thousands of visitors, 100+ exhibitors, keynote speakers, health screenings, live music, giveaways and door prizes. Two dates and locations: Sunday, October 6, Ballston Common Mall, Arlington, VA; and Sunday, October 13, Silver Spring Civic Center, Silver Spring. To Exhibit/Sponsor or for more information, contact Alan at email@example.com or 301-949-9766.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, July 21 Monday, July 22 Tuesday, July 23 Wednesday, July 24 Thursday, July 25 Friday, July 26
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 8:15 8:15 8:15 8:15 8:15 See Shabbos schedule
University 8:15 N/A N/A N/A N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:04 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:37 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:51 PM
July 26-27, 2013 – 20 Av 5773
Light Candles by 8:07 – Havdalah 9:10
* Light Candles by 8:07, and not before 6:56
* Mincha 6:45 (Arcola Social Hall), 7:00 (Univ., Nusach Sefard and Sephardi), 7:15, 8:10
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:50 (Sephardi), 8:05 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 9:10
Monday, July 22 The Man with the Truck, 5:30 PM to 9:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Shabbos, July 27 Bar Mitzvah of Sammy Merzel
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, July 24, at 12 noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director