Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
January 3-4, 2014 – 3 Shevat 5774 – Parshas Bo
Light Candles by 4:40 – Havdalah 5:43
* Light Candles by 4:40
* Mincha 4:40, 4:35 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* This week, the Sephardi Minyan will be held in the Arcola Social hall, for Ezra Dayanim's Bar Mitzvah. The 8 AM Minyan will be held in the Large Beis Medrash and the Youth Minyan will be held in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Mincha 2:30, 4:20 (Sephardi), 4:35 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 5:43
* Sephardi Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Silver
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Barry Greengart
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Shulie & Ronnie Bergman on the 2nd Yahrtzeit of Ronnie's brother, Martin Bergman. (Lower lobby)
* Sephardi / 8:45 Main Minyan – The Dayanim Family in honor of Ezra's Bar Mitzvah.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan. (Lower lobby)
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 3:35 PM. After this Shabbos, Shiur will resume in February.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 3:50 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Marilyn & Sol Broder on the upcoming wedding of their grandson, Yaakov Moshe Zwillinger, son of Sharie & Steven Zwillinger of Silver Spring, to Rivka Shulamith Leval, daughter of Lisa & Gerard Leval of Washington, DC.
* Carey & Behnam Dayanim on the Bar Mitzvah of their son Ezra. Mazal Tov to Ezra's siblings, Tamar, Danya, and Atira and to his grandparents Adele & Mervyn Myers and Behrooz & Trudy Dayanim.
* Eileen & Stan Goldschmidt on the birth of twin granddaughters to their children Adena & Avi Burstein. Mazal Tov also to grandparents Goldie & Mutty Burstein of Brooklyn, New York, to great-grandparents Nancy & Herman Weisman of Boca Raton, Florida, to big brother Caleb and to the aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Marsha & Yitzchak Kasdan and family on the marriage of their daughter Deena to Moshe Lowinger.
* Naomi & Nechemia Mond on the birth of a baby boy. Mazal Tov to the big brothers and sister, grandparents Betty & Stuart Ozar and Ita & Jimmy Mond, great-grandparents Rosaline Sonnenwirth and Marilyn & Milton Ozar, and all of the aunts, uncles and cousins. The Shalom Zachor will IY"H be held at the Mond home, 812 Hyde Court at 8:30 PM. The Bris will be held IY"H on Shabbos, January 4 at the Yeshiva after their 8:00 Shacharis Minyan.
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the small Beis Medrash. NOTE NEW LOCATION FOR THIS WEEK.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; This week only: kindergarten groups will meet in the small room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM-6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com.
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Continuing the new topic "Professional Malpractice" – Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency. Thursdays, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM.
YISE Programs and Listings
Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! This Motzei Shabbos, January 4, 7:00 PM in the Arcola Social Hall. This week is sponsored by Rabbi & Mrs. Rosenbaum and family. Open to the entire community! Delicious Pizza! Interactive Discussions! Raffle of Exciting Prizes! Lots of Fun! (Next session will be January 18.)
What Jewish Educators Want Every Parent to Know – Lianne Heller, Director of the YISE Nursery School, will be the first speaker in an exciting parenting lecture series sponsored by the YISE Youth Committee. Her talk will be entitled "The 7 Essential Life Skills." Sunday, January 5, 8:00 PM, YISE Social Hall. Ideal for parents of both elementary school and preschool aged children. Free admission
YISE Together-for-5 – Will restart on Monday, January 6 with a series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum about The Final Berachos of Shemoneh Esrei. For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on topics in Jewish History, Monday January 6, from 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
SAVE THE DATE: Ruach Minyan – Next Friday, January 10, at 4:50 in the Arcola Social Hall.
DNA in Halacha: Admissable Evidence? – The Greater Washington Community Kollel, in conjunction with YISE, invites men and women of the community to a Jewish ethics lecture by Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman, Sunday, January 12, 9:30 AM at YISE.
The YISE Youth Department Tu B'Shevat Event – Make your own edible craft and learn about Tu B'Shevat. For ages 4-8. Arcola Social Hall on Sunday, January 12, 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM. For more information or to help sponsor this event email@example.com.
SAVE THE DATE: YISE Annual Banquet – Sunday, February 16, 2014. Invitations were mailed this week.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the YGW Beis Medrash – Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, Shabbos after the 8 AM Minyan, and Sunday at 6:30 AM.
Bnei Akiva Silver Spring Snif this Shabbos, January 4 from 3:30 PMuntil Mincha at KMS. Walking groups will leave YISE at 3:00 PM.
Girls Night Out with Mrs. Zakem and Mrs. Glassberg – Motzei Shabbos, January 4 at the home of the Kuglers, 11602 Filmore Dr., 8:30 PM – 10:00 PM. Join a lively discussion about topics that are relevant to your life. Open to High School girls.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington invites you to a special shopping event with Double Header (from Brooklyn) selling skirts, shells, jewelry, hair coverings, baby blankets, hosiery. Sunday, January 5, 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM at the Maybergs' event room, 411 Hermleigh Rd.
Clothing drive benefiting local area gemachs – Clean out your closets and drop off any gently used clothing in bags/boxes at the Friedman residence on the porch at 903 Holborn St., no later than Sunday, January 5 at 11:00AM or drop off clothing in the KMS lobby on Sunday, January 5 from 12:00 noon until 1:30 PM ONLY. For more information, pleasecontact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org
YGW Boys Division Pizza Lunch followed by standardized testing for incoming 7th grade students. Sunday, January 5, 12:15 PM at the YGW Boys Campus. For more information please contact Rabbi Amram Hes at the Yeshiva, 301-649-7077 ext. 1528 or email@example.com.
MJBHA Tour of Preschool and Lower School for Parents – Monday, January 6, 9:30 AM, 13300 Arctic Avenue. For further information or to schedule a visit at a different time, contact Sharon Butler, Admissions Director, at 301-962-9400 x5630 or butlers@ mjbha.org. To RSVP visit www.mjbha.org.
YGW Girls Division Open House for parents of 6th grade girls.Come meet the administration, department heads and teachers and learn about the school and its programs. Tuesday, January 7, 8:00 PM, For more information, or if the date is inconvenient, please contact our Menahel Rabbi Zev Katz 301-962-5111 ext. 1504 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
MJBHA Dinner and Informational Evening for Middle School and Upper School – Wednesday, January 8, 6:00 PM, 13300 Arctic Avenue. Join us for dinner followed by brief presentations from Middle and Upper School staff members. For further information, contact Sharon Butler, Admissions Director, at 301-962-9400 x5630 or email@example.com. To RSVP visit www.mjbha.org.
YGW 50th Annual Banquet – Sunday, January 12. Celebrating the living legacy of our founder and Rosh HaYeshiva, Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L. We will be commemorating his enduring vision and historic leadership with the naming of the Yeshiva in his memory. Presenting the Akeres HaBayis Award to Mrs. Sima Jacoby for more than 40 years of service to the Yeshiva. For more information visit www.ygwevents.com/50thBanquet or 301-962-5111 ext. 1552.
Southeast Hebrew Congregation (SEHC), in partnership with the Destiny Foundation (http://www.jewishdestiny.com/), will be hosting a live presentation on Monday, January 13, 7:30 PM at SEHC, featuring Rabbi Berel Wein and Rabbi Yissocher Frand. Please join us for an evening of engaging dialogue and insight as experiences are related and views offered on the development of the Yeshiva world in America and its influence on the issues of today. The discussion will include timely topics such as "Do I still need a Rebbe in a generation of Torah books, CDs and iPods?" and "How can we ensure that our Shabbos table is a call to the future?" Admission is $10 for adults and $5 for students. For more information, or to be a sponsor, please contact Fred Mailman firstname.lastname@example.org or Hyam Singer email@example.com.
The Good Book for 2014, listing members of the Washington area Jewish communities, is in preparation. YISE members wishing to be included or to make changes in their listing should contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-358-6068.
Simplify your Tzedakah record keeping and distribution by paying one check to Agudath Israel Charity Fund and keep some of your money for local Orthodox schools. Scrip may be purchased in denominations of $1.25, $3, $5, $10, $18, etc. To place an order or for more information, please contact Loretta Sadwin at 301 593-4739.
Job Assist Events:
* Free Webinars on Federal Jobs – "Tips for Veterans" on January 7and "10 Steps to a Federal Job" on January 9. Register at http://www. resume-place.com/services/free-webinars-7-tips-to-a-federal-job/
* Summer Jobs for 2014 – For info on when, where, and how to look, please email DMarwick@JobAssist.org.
* LinkedIn for Beginners – Free workshop. Wednesday, January 8, 1:00 PM – 2:30 PM. 200 Wood Hill Road, Rockville. Register at www.jssa.org.
* SQL for Beginners – First of six classes on Tuesday, January 14, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM. Info and register at www.oujobs.org.
* Networking – Free webinars. Info and register at www.themuse.com/classes/becomenetworker.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, January 5 Monday, January 6 Tuesday, January 7 Wednesday, January 8 Thursday, January 9 Friday, January 10
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:20, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:20, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 4:45 4:45 4:45 4:45 4:45 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A 7: 15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv)
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:30 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:50 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:47 PM
January 10-11, 2014 – 10 Shevat 5774
Parshas Beshalach – Shabbos Shirah
Light Candles by 4:46 – Havdalah 5:50
* Light Candles by 4:46
* Mincha 4:50, Ruach, 4:45 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 4:30 (Sephardi),4:45 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 5:50
Shabbos, January 4 Bar Mitzvah of Ezra Dayanim (Sephardi)
Motzei Shabbos, Jan. 4 Dor L'Dor, 7:00 PM
Friday, January 10 Ruach Minyan, 4:50, Arcola Social Hall
Wednesday, January 15 Senior Lunch, Speaker will be Amit
Levinson, Shaliach from the JCC
Motzei Shabbos, Jan. 18 Dor L'Dor, 7:15 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, January 8, at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director