Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
January 29-30, 2016 – 20 Shevat 5776 – Parshas Yisro
Light Candles by 5:07 – Havdalah 6:09
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387.
* Sue & Ray White on the birth of a grandson to their children Dina & Joe Ravitsky of Dallas, Texas. Mazal Tov to big brother Shachar.
* Fred Glogower on the passing of his father, Jules Glogower. The funeral took place on Tuesday in New York. Shiva will be held through Monday morning at 11704 Stonington Place. The Minyan schedule is as follows: Shacharis: Sunday: 8:00 and Monday: 6:45. Mincha/Maariv: Sunday: 5:05.
* Light Candles by 5:07
Arcola: 5:10 University: 5:10 Sephardi: 5:05 Nusach Sefard: 5:10
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:05 University: 5:05 Sephardi: 4:45 Nusach Sefard: 5:05
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:09
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Leah & Yoni Bresler in honor of their grandchildren; Vivian & Arnie Kirshenbaum in honor of the Yahrtzeit of Arnie's father, Dovid Ben Yechiel Tzvi HaKohain and Arnie's daughter Rochel Diamond's birthday; and by Lew Sosnowik in honor of the Yahrtzeit of his parents, Sima & Abraham Sosnowik.
* Sephardi Minyan – "Sephardic Group"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 4:05 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 4:15 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Elchanan Adler – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony – will resume February 7.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – now learning Sefer Yehoshua.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women. A mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Jewish Philosophy with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow. Choose from classes:
* Gemara Kop with R' Nachum Schwartz
* Becoming an Inspired Eved Hashem – Alei Shur (R' Shlomo Wolbe) with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Iyunim L'Halacha with R' Moshe Haim Blate
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the small Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
Thank you to the following volunteers who helped out during last week's storm, despite the heavy snow. These Gabbaim, Balei Kreiah, and kitchen volunteers really went above and beyond! Thank you to Rabbi Moshe Arzouan, Shulie Bergman, Josh Breitstein, Rafi Cattan, Evelyn Davis, Esther Edeson, Edan Friedman, Raph Ginsburg, Sahra Ginsburg, Elliot Goodman, Manasseh Katz, Menashe Katz, Seth Katz, Fred Miller, Josh Obstfeld, Yossi Scharf, Noach Solomson, Shevach Sushner, and any others inadvertently missing.
THIS WEEKEND: Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Motzei Shabbos, January 30, 7:15 PM, Arcola Social Hall. This week iss sponsored by Nancy Karkowsky in honor of her neighbors who shoveled out her driveway, and the Shimoff family in commemoration of Eliot Shimoff's Yahrzeit. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun!
Reconciling the Joy of Serving Hashem with Reverence – Shiur for women with Rabbi Rosenbaum. Sunday, January 31, at 8:00 PM at the home of Bayla Goodman has been cancelled.
YISE Together-for-5 – Continues with a series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum about Halachos of Mezuzah. For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on topics in Jewish History. Monday, February 1, 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM. Please note change of meeting place in the same building: 1111 University Blvd. W., G-Level Party Room. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
NEXT WEEKEND: Join the Greater Washington Community Kollel and YISE for an Inspirational Shabbos – Shabbos, February 5-6. Thought provoking lectures led by Kollel Scholars of the Greater Washington Community Kollel. Inspiring Tefillos and Zemiros by special guest Baal Tefillah and singer, Simcha Leiner. Elegant catered Friday Night family dinner (Adult: $22, Children (3-7): $12,Children under 3: free) with free babysitting during the dinner available. To make dinner reservations, please contact Simi Franco at 301-593-4465 x403 or email@example.com Sponsorship opportunities available.
Back by Popular Demand: YISE Social Committee Presents: Trivia Night – General knowledge trivia questions. Motzei Shabbos, February 6. Doors open at 7:45 PM, Games begin at 8:00 PM. YISE Social Hall. Cost: $3 per person. Teams of 4-6 people. Make your team in advance or join a team at the event. Snacks, fun, and prizes!!! Questions: contact Social@yise.org
YISE Meaningful Tefillah Project – Rabbi Burnham's class on how to lead Davening for Shabbos and Yom Tov will next meet Monday, February 8, focusing on Shabbos Musaf and Mincha. For more info, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Landmark Pesach Wine Event – Don't miss this unprecedented chance to taste and learn about new wines from Israel and place your order for wines for Pesach. Motzei Shabbos, February 20, 8:30 PM – 10:30 PM at YISE. Presentation, tasting and cheese pairing, and ordering opportunity. This is a joint community event by KMS and YISE. Cost: $10 in advance, $15 at the door. $10 of each admission will be applied to your wine order. Questions? Contact email@example.com or visit www.yise.org/wine The order list is extensive and will include your traditional favorites as well as special new releases, labels and special values. L'Chaim!
When your Loved one Enters Hospice or Receives Palliative Care – Learn about the these different approaches to managing pain, the conditions for which they are appropriate, and the halachic issues that arise when such care is provided. Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum and Dr. Theo Heller tackle these questions, from different perspectives and many years of counseling patients and families. Sunday, February 21, 10:30 AM – 12:00 Noon at YISE (Beis Midrash). Sponsored by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, and the Chesed committees of YISE, KMS and SSJC.
YISE Security – Please consider helping sponsor our increased security presence. The requested contribution is $36 per household. Of course, smaller or larger amounts will be gratefully accepted. A list of the donors will be displayed on the electronic board in the coming weeks. Tax-deductible checks made to YISE or donate through our website at www.yise.org and select "YISE Security Fund" when you submit.
Help Local Holocaust Survivors in Need – Bring items listed below into Shul (bins provided in the lower lobby) for packages that will be assembled and delivered on Good Deeds Day, April 10. Kosher food: salmon, tuna, canola and olive oil, whole wheat pasta and crackers, 100% fruit juice, oatmeal, and cream of wheat. Non-food items: $10 Giant gift cards, batteries. For more information, please contact: Miriam Friedman – firstname.lastname@example.org
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html SAVE THE DATE: YISE Annual Banquet – Sunday, April 3, 2016. Honoring: Barbara Price. Young Leadership Award: Adina & Josh Obstfeld. If you would like to be on the committee please contact Rachelli Simon (email@example.com) or Cheryl Broth (firstname.lastname@example.org).
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp,followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Parsha Shenanigans – Please join us this week for fun Parsha activities! Delicious snacks! Awesome prizes!: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
SAVE THE DATE: Shaimos or Shame on Us: Are we throwing out things we shouldn't? For high school students. Sunday, February 7, 10:30 AM – 12:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Tefillah, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:45PM at YGW. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or email@example.com
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner at 301-649-0552.
Good Book Directory Updates – The 21st annual edition of Greater Washington's (free) Directory is now closing. If you wish to list your household or update your info, please send the information to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 877-358-6068.
Hearing Aid Re-use Project (HARP) – Donate your inherited or obsolete hearing aids (only behind the ear types) so that others in our community might try to reprogram and reuse them, thereby saving big bucks. They are too expensive to discard. For more info, to donate, or to sign up on a waiting list, contact Jack.Calman@post.harvard.edu or 301-593-7359.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, February 3, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Peter Pan – YGW- Tiferes Gedaliah – Girls Division presents a production for women and girls ONLY. Sunday, February 7 at 5:30 PM and Monday, February 8 at 7:30 PM at the JCC of Greater Washington. Tickets available in advance and at the door. Sponsorships and Playbill advertising deadline February 1. For more information, to purchase tickets, or to place ads: www.yeshiva.edu, 301-962-5111 x1407 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Laugh and Learn! Interactive, multi-media, humor-filled presentation by American-Israeli comedian Benji Lovitt. Join Benji as he tracks the changes in Israeli society through humor. Watch and discuss classic movies, TV shows, and comedy clips to gain a richer understanding of Israeli society. Motzei Shabbos, February 27 at 8:30 PM at KMS. Thanks to the support of generous sponsors, this program is free to the community. Questions? Contact Shuly Babitz (email@example.com) or Ina Lerman (301-681-7107).
SAVE THE DATE: Kollel Zichron Amram of YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah invites the community to a morning of Yeshiva learning. Sunday, February 28 at its Semi-Annual Yom Iyun for Men. For more information: Contact Rabbi Moshe Haim Blate at 404-273-3392 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Check out our new YISE web site: www.yise.org
It is cleaner, brighter, and more user friendly with much new content to enhance your YISE experience. Please check it regularly for new content and improvement. As always, your feedback is invited.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, January 31 Monday, February 1 Tuesday, February 2 Wednesday, February 3 Thursday, February 4 Friday, February 5
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:10, 7:10 6:15, 7:15 6:15, 7:15 6:10, 7:10 6:15, 7:15
Arcola 5:15 5:15, 7:30 (Maariv) 5:15, 7:30 (Maariv) 5:15, 7:30 (Maariv) 5:15, 7:30 (Maariv) See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 5:10 5:10 5:10 5:10 5:10
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:21 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:46 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:53 PM
February 5-6, 2016 – 27 Shevat 5776
Parshas Mishpatim – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 5:15 – Havdalah 6:16
* Light Candles by 5:15
Arcola: 5:15 University: 5:15 Sephardi: 5:10 Nusach Sefard: 5:15
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:10 University: 5:10 Sephardi: 4:50 Nusach Sefard: 5:10
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:16
Motzei Shabbos, Jan. 30 Dor L'Dor, Arcola Social Hall, 7:15 PM
Wednesday, February 3 Senior Lunch, Speaker: Dr. Alan Breitler "Lunar Oddities"
Shabbos, February 5-6 Inspirational Shabbos with GWCK
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 6 YISE Social Committee Trivia Night
Monday, February 8 The Man with the Truck, 6:00 PM – 9:30 PM
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 13 Dor L'Dor, Arcola Social Hall, 7:30 PM
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 20 Landmark Pesach Wine Event
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, February 3 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director