Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
January 25 – 26, 2019 – 20 Shevat 5779 – Parshas Yisro
Light Candles by 5:02 – Havdalah 6:05
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Delia Weiss and family and Miriam and Steve Friedman and family in memory of the 2nd Yahrzeit of Dr. George Weiss, Z"L, Gedalya Chaim ben Avraham Moshe.
* Cheryl & Richie Broth on the occasion of the Bar Mitzvah of their son, Betzalel Mordechai. Mazal Tov to the grandparents, Nancy & David Broth and Tena & Avery Umlas and to all of the siblings, aunts, uncles, and cousins.
* Susan & Rabbi Saul Koss on the birth of a great-grandson to Tovy & Eliyahu Koss of Bnai Brak and to grandparents Miri & Rabbi Reuven Koss of Netivot.
* Marion & Bernie Muller on the occasion of the Bat Mitzvah of their granddaughter, Shira Neima, daughter of Aviva and Jonathan Zahtz of Beit Shemesh.
* Barbara Marcus on the passing of her mother, Muriel Hoch, and Jay Marcus on the passing of his grandmother. The funeral took place in New Jersey. Shiva was completed before Shabbos.
* Emil Braun on the passing of his brother, Irving Braun, and Rebbetzin Atara Rosenbaum on the passing of her uncle. The funeral took place in New Jersey. Emil is observing Shiva at Tudor Heights, 7218 Park Heights Avenue, Baltimore, MD 21208, through Sunday morning. Anyone who would like to make arrangements for visiting should call Ilana Tuchman, 410-963-3655.
* Light Candles by 5:02
Ashkenazi: 5:05 Sephardi: 5:00 Nusach Sefard: 5:05
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00 Sephardi: 4:45 Nusach Sefard: 5:00
* Shabbos Ends: 6:05
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Lew Sosnowik to commemorate the Yahrzeits of his parents, Sima & Abraham Sosnowik and his sister Chana Sosnowik; and Vivian & Arnie Kirshenaum to commemorate the Yahrzeit of Arnie's parents Dovid Ben Yechiel Tzvi HaKohain & Gittel bas Moshe.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Cheryl & Richie Broth in honor of the Bar Mitzvah of their son, Betzalel Mordechai.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, Small Beis Medrash.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 4:15 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, in the Large Social Hall. Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Sage Wisdom with Rabbi Moshe Sadwin
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com, 347-869-9361.
* For Men – Mon/Tue/Wed in Small Beis Medrash, Thu. In Social Hall
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah
* Tuesdays & Wednesdays: Shivti led by Rabbi Sussman. Rabbi Grossman will be presenting weekly lectures on the weekly topic.
* For Women – Small Social Hall
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An in-depth analysis, in the Small Social Hall.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM, in the Small Social Hall.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? Appreciating Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Kesubos, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM in the Large Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
Clothing Drive for CHANA – Thank you to the ~ 100 volunteers and to those who donated a record number of ~ 700 bags filled with clothing and other items that will benefit victims of domestic abuse.
Dor L'Dor – The next Dor L'dor will take place on Motzei Shabbos, February 2, at 7:15 PM in the YISE Social Hall! For people who would like their child to participate in Dor L'Dor but are not available to learn with him / her, we will try to match your child with an available volunteer adult, upon advance request (usually by 10:00 AM on the preceding Friday). However, parents accepting this offer are responsible for getting their child to and from the program. For further information, please contact Michael Shimoff at firstname.lastname@example.org The program will be held in the YISE Arcola Social Hall and is open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes!
Berman PTO Presents: "Anxiety in Children & Adolescents: What to Do and How to Help" – The program scheduled for January 30 has been postponed.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, February 4, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W. in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For more info, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or email@example.com
Senior Lunch – Wednesday, February 6, 12 Noon, Social Hall. Dr. Alan Breitler, "Statistical Probability Surprises"
"The Making of a Minhag: The Laws and Parameters of Jewish Customs" – The Greater Washington Community Kollel in conjunction with YISE invites men and women of the community to a lecture by Rabbi Moshe Walter, Rabbi of Woodside Synagogue Ahavas Torah. Sunday, February 10 at 9:30 AM at YISE.
Save the Date! Shomrai Preschool Parent Teacher Organization invites the community to a lecture given by Rabbi Rosenbaum: "Perspectives on Raising a Jewish Child: Pitfalls and Challenges of Everyday Living", Sunday, March 24, 8:00 PM in the Small Social Hall. Open to the entire community. If you have questions, contact Moshe Kaplan at firstname.lastname@example.org
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program is a service to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. By signing up, you are not committing to help with anything specific. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will NOT take place this Shabbos.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth room behind the Balcony. 1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall.
Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
An Inspirational Shabbos
Connecting through, Torah, Tefillah, and Song!
Shabbos, Parshas Mishpatim, February 1-2 at YISE. Open to the community!
* Thought-provoking lectures led by scholars of the Greater Washington Community Kollel
* Elegant, enjoyable catered Friday night family dinner. Adults $22, children (3 – 7) $12, children under 3 free. To make reservations, call Simi Franco at 301-593-4465×403 or 301-346-8752 or email email@example.com
* Mini-learning sessions and a delicious dessert buffet and Ruach-filled Oneg Shabbos immediately following the Seudah.
* Inspiring Tefillos and Zemiros by special guest Baal Tefillah and singer Simcha Leiner.
For more information, contact the GWCK at firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Programs and Listings
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, January 26, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 516, at 4:00 PM
2019 Ari Zymelman Parenting Conversation – "Overcoming Childhood Anxiety: A Family Approach to Taming the Worries" – presented by Milton Gottesman Jewish Day School of the Nation's Capital, featuring Dr. Dan Shapiro, Tuesday, January 29, Kay and Robert Schattner Center North Campus, 6045 16th Street, NW. RSVP at www.miltongottesman.org or call (202) 882-4747
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, January 30, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. Join us this week for a special gniteeM sdrawkcaB with answers before questions and evaluations before speeches. Contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com for more info.
Remembering Often-Omitted Sephardic & Romaniote Narratives of the Holocaust & WWII – Program commemorating International Holocaust Remembrance Day. Sponsored by Sephardic Heritage International DC, Sephardic Jewish Brotherhood of America and Kehila Kedosha Janina Synagogue & Museum. Thursday, January 31, 6:30 PM – 9:00 PM, the Gold Room of the House of Representatives. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org required by January 27. Congressional sponsor Rep. Jamie Raskin.
Yad Yehuda Breakfast – Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington serves our community through Tomchei Shabbos, Capital Kosher Pantry, and Emergency Financial Relief. Show your support at the Yad Yehuda Breakfast on February 3, 9:30 AM, honoring Mrs. Susan Koss. For more details, go to www.yadyehuda.org/brunch.html
Preparing for Adar Rishon – Video presentation for women by Rabbanit Yemima Mizrachi, Sunday February 3, 8:15 PM in Ohr HaTorah social hall. Cost is $8 per person.
Taking Care of Ourselves…Body and Soul – The Mikvah Emunah Society of Greater Washington presents the second shiur of a free 3-part learning series for women on Monday, February 4, at 8:00 PM, at the Eizenstat Home – 1111 N. Belgrade Rd. Mrs. Rivkie Frank will discuss "Bringing Hashem into Our Homes & Our Hearts"
Chevra Kadisha Zayin Adar Dinner – The Men's and Women's Chevra Kadisha of Greater Washington invites the entire community to a Zayin Adar dinner on Monday, February 11, 2019, recognizing the work of the Chevra. Reservation deadline is February 1. For more information and to make reservations, see: www.chevrakadishagw.org/zayin-adar-dinner.html
An Evening to Benefit Bonei Olam of Greater Washington – Sunday, February 24, 7:00 PM, at the home of Dr. Aviva & Mr. Meir Kramer, 701 Yeatman Parkway, Silver Spring, MD. Featured speaker: Dr. Michael Levy, co-founder, Shady Grove Fertility. Video message: Rabbi Shlomo Bochner, founder, Bonei Olam. Hear a personal account of one woman's struggle and subsequent miracle, "Journey of Challenge + Joy". All proceeds to benefit couples in the Greater Washington area. Light refreshments, Chinese appetizers and desserts. No cost to attend. For more information, contact email@example.com
IZUN provides financial education and decision-making support – IZUN's trained confidential counselors help you examine your budget and review options to sustain financial stability. IZUN is a resource for families of all income levels that choose to take a forward look at their finances. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (240) 433-3944.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nazir. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more info, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM. Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Yad Yehuda's Capital Kosher Pantry needs donations of kosher food items to fill its shelves. To make it simple to donate, we have set up online "Wish Lists" at Amazon.com, Walmart.com, and Target.com. Much like a wedding registry, our Wish Lists are regularly updated to help the community choose and donate the items that the pantry currently needs. Items are shipped directly to the Capital Kosher Pantry, usually with no shipping fee. Feel free to take advantage of any online sales you may find on relevant pantry items, but please verify that they have reliable kosher supervision. For links to the Pantry Wish Lists, please visit www.yadyehuda.org/pantry-wishlist Please support this important community resource and pass this information to your friends and family! For more information about the Capital Kosher Pantry, visit www.yadyehuda.org/kosher-pantry Thanks so much for your ongoing support!
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services or to volunteer.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Support Group for Women Who Are Caregivers – The Golden Network is forming a new support group for women that are caregivers .This group is geared towards Jewish women whose spouses are living at home or are in a medical facility and are affected by a chronic illness or suffer from a cognitive condition. If you are interested in joining this group please contact: Rabbi Shmuel Leigh 301-732-1773 / email@example.com, Mrs. Hedy Peyser, MSW, firstname.lastname@example.org or Mrs. Esther Dziadek email@example.com.
The Week Ahead
Sunday January 27 Monday January 28 Tuesday January 29 Wednesday January 30 Thursday January 31 Friday February 1
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Ashkenazi 5:10 5:10 / 7:30 5:10 / 7:30 5:10 / 7:30 5:10 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 5:05 5:05 5:05 5:05 5:05
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:24 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:48 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:53 PM
February 1 – 2, 2019 – 27 Shevat 5779
Parshas Mishpatim – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 5:11 – Havdalah 6:12
* Light Candles by 5:11
Ashkenazi: 5:15 (Ruach), 5:15 (Social Hall) Sephardi: 5:10 Nusach Sefard: 5:15
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:10 Sephardi: 4:55 Nusach Sefard: 5:10
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:12
Shabbos, January 26 Bar Mitzvah of Betzalel Broth, 8:45 Main Minyan
Sunday, February 1 – 2 An Inspirational Shabbos with GWCK
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 2 Dor L'Dor, 7:15 PM, Social Hall
Wednesday, February 6 Senior Lunch, 12 Noon, Social Hall
Sunday, February 10 Rabbi Walter, "The Making of a Minhag", 9:30 AM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, January 30 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager