Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
January 17-18, 2014 – 17 Shevat 5774 – Parshas Yisro
Light Candles by 4:54 – Havdalah 5:57
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by the Zurndorfer family in honor of the 50th anniversary of Ed's Bar Mitzvah.
* Light Candles by 4:54
* Mincha 4:55, 4:50 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 4:35 (Sephardi), 4:50 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 5:57
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Silver
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Josh Blaustein
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Michael Schopf in honor of the Yahrtzeit of his mother, Shayndel Bas Pinchas Nosson, Lew Sosnowik in honor of the Yahrtzeit of his parents, Sima and Abraham, and Arnie Kirshenbaum in honor of the Yahrtzeit of his father, Dovid Ben Yechiel Tzvi HaKohain.
* 8 AM Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur will resume in February.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 4:05 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Elchanan Adler – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Hannah Gershon on the birth of a great-grandson, Eliav Yehuda, son of Simone & Ari Gershon, of Jerusalem. Mazal Tov to the extended Gershon and David families.
* Gail & Chaim Sanders on the birth of their grandson, Baruch Toviya, born to Sara & Daniel Gutman of Mitzpeh Yericho, Israel. Condolences
* Fred Blumenthal on the passing of his wife, Gerda Blumenthal. The funeral was held on Wednesday. Shiva will be observed at 1121 University Blvd. W., #604, through Tuesday morning. Minyan for Mincha/Maariv on Sunday and Monday at 4:55.
* Jorden Brinn on the passing of his wife, Beverly Kolb Brinn. The funeral was held on Thursday. Shiva will be observed at 903 Hoyt St., through Wednesday morning. Minyan schedule is as follows: Shacharis: Sunday, Monday: 8:00, Tuesday, Wednesday: 7:30, Mincha/Maariv: Sunday through Tuesday: 4:55.
* Adina & Fred Friedman on the passing of their grandson, Nosson Karpel Friedman, son of Devorah & Shmueli Friedman. The funeral and Shiva took place last week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony – Shiur willmeet next on Sunday, February 2.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – Shiur will meet next on Tuesday, January 28.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org – Shiur will meet next on Tuesday, January 28.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – Shiur will meet next on Wednesday, January 29.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash – Shiur will meet next on Wednesday, January 29.
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org – Program will not meet on Tuesday, January 21, and will resume on Tuesday, January 28.
* Beis Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Continuing the new topic "Professional Malpractice" – Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency. Thursdays, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM.
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-4 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Kindergarten groups meet in small Beis Medrash; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
SAVE THE DATE: YISE Annual Banquet – Sunday, February 16, 2014
To volunteer to serve on a banquet committee, please contact Elise Saks at email@example.com
YISE Programs and Listings
Rabbi's Vacation – Rabbi Rosenbaum is on vacation through January 26. People with Halachic questions should feel free to call Rabbi Silver at 917-363-5840. Anyone who needs to speak with Rabbi Rosenbaum about a pressing matter should contact a member of the office staff, who will alert Rabbi Rosenbaum.
Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! This Motzei Shabbos, January 18, 7:15 PM in the Arcola Social Hall. This week is sponsored by Yoni Rubin. Open to the entire community! Delicious Pizza! Interactive Discussions! Raffle of Exciting Prizes! Lots of Fun! (Next session will be February 1.)
YISE Together-for-5 – Continues with a series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum about The Final Berachos of Shemoneh Esrei. For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5
New Shiurim with Rabbi Silver:
* Back to the Basics: An in-depth and textual study of the Thirteen Principles of Faith – Rabbi Silver will be giving a two-part series on Monday nights, January 20 and 27, 8:00 PM in the Beis Medrash.
* Halacha: A source based study of relevant topics – Beginning on January 21, Rabbi Silver will be giving a weekly Shiur for Men on Tuesday Nights as part of the Beis Medrash Zichron Gedaliah.
Back by Popular Demand: Trivia Night – presented by the YISE Social Committee. General Knowledge Trivia Questions. January 25 at 8:00 PM, YISE Social Hall, Cost: $5 per person. Teams of 4-6 people. Make your team in advance or join a team at the event. Snacks, fun, and prizes!!! Questions: contact Allison Lazar at firstname.lastname@example.org
Keeping Your Sanity with Tweens and Teens – A "bonus" parenting lecture by parent educator Judy Rosenthal,sponsored by YISE Youth. Sunday, February 9, 8:00 PM, YISE Social Hall. Free admission.
An Inspirational Shabbos – Presented by GWCK in conjuntion with YISE. Connecting through Torah, Tefillah and song. Shabbos, February 7-8, at YISE. Program highlights: Thought provoking lectures, elegant, enjoyable catered Friday night family dinner, and inspiring Tefillos and Zemiros (by special guest Baal Tefillah and singer Simcha Leiner). To make reservations, contact Simi Franco at 301-593-4465 x403 or 301-346-8752 or email@example.com
Eldercare workshop: The Special Challenges of Long Distance Care Giving – Presented by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, YISE and KMS. Featuring Barbara Trainin Blank, an awardwinning writer and the author of the recently published "What to Do about Mama." Sunday, February 9, 9:30 AM – 11:30 AM at KMS. Light refreshments. Free admission. RSVP requested to firstname.lastname@example.org or 202 331-4481.
YISE Nursery Registration for 2014-2015 is now OPEN – Our Torah-based preschool program is open from 7:30 AM until 6:00 PM. Program lengths vary according to parents' and children's needs. Tours of the school are by appointment only. For inquiries contact 301-593-7365 or email@example.com
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We have an immediate need for more volunteers. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com or pick up a form in the lobby.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett – 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Help make a Minyan! – We are looking for volunteers who would like to participate in the Mitzvah of helping to make a Minyan three or four times per year. We are putting together a list in order to form a rotation to help the University Blvd. Shul make a Mincha/Maariv Minyan on Fridays and Shabbos days when they anticipate a shortfall. Please contact Melvin Sassoon at firstname.lastname@example.org to be part of this endeavor.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the YGW Beis Medrash – Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, Shabbos after the 8 AM Minyan, and Sunday at 6:30 AM.
I Had a Dream: Real or Imaginary A Halachic Response –
Monday, January 20, The Federal Holiday Learning Program for Men with Rabbi Moshe Walter presented by the Kollel Zichron Amram of YGW. Chavrusa at 9:00 AM; Shiur at 10:00 AM at the YGW Boys Campus. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
To Make a Proper Shabbos Choice: Borrer on Shabbos – A focus on Halacha Shiur for women with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday, January 20 at 8:30 PM at the YGW Boys Campus. Presented by YGW Women's Alumnae Association and the Kollel Zichron Amram. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Creating Am Yisrael: Exiting Gan Eden and Exiting Egypt – Lecture by Dr. Yael Ziegler, Woodside Synagogue, Wednesday, January 29, 7:30 PM. Dr. Yael Ziegler is a lecturer in Tanakh at Herzog College and Matan.
TSGW 11th Annual Chinese Auction – Sunday, February 23, 7:00 PM, Beth Sholom Congregation. Prize drawings begin at 8:30 PM. Admission: $25 per person. To reserve your entrance ticket in advance, contact 301-962-8003 ext. 2300 or email@example.com Order tickets online at www.tsgwauction.com
Simplify your Tzedakah record keeping and distribution by paying one check to Agudath Israel Charity Fund and keep some of your money for local Orthodox schools. Scrip may be purchased in denominations of $1.25, $3, $5, $10, $18, etc. To place an order or for more information, please contact Loretta Sadwin at 301 593-4739.
Job Assist Events:
* Free Webinars on Federal Jobs – "Writing the SES Application," January 20. "Navigating the Schedule A Hiring Process," January 21. "Tips for Students and Recent Graduates," January 23. Register at http://www.resume-place.com/services/free-webinars-7-tips-to-a-federal-job/
* Microsoft Word and Excel – Intermediate – Online. Monday, January 20, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM. Info and register at www.oujobs.org
* PowerPoint – Intermediate – Online. 4-part series starts Thursday,January 23, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM. Info and register at www.oujobs.org
* Dreamweaver – Intermediate – Wednesday, January 29, 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM and 4:00 PM – 6:-00 PM. Info and register at www.oujobs.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday, January 19 Monday, Jan. 20 – MLK Jr. Day Tuesday, January 21 Wednesday, January 22 Thursday, January 23 Friday, January 24
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 7:30 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 5:00 5:00 5:00 5:00 5:00 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A N/A 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv)
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:28 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:50 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:51 PM
January 24-25, 2014 – 24 Shevat 5774
Parshas Mishpatim – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 5:02 – Havdalah 6:04
* Light Candles by 5:02
* Mincha 5:05, 5:00 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 4:45 (Sephardi), 5:00 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 6:04
Motzei Shabbos, Jan. 18 Dor L'Dor, 7:15 PM
Motzei Shabbos, Jan. 25 YISE Trivia Night, 8:00 PM
Monday, January 27 The Man with the Truck,
6:00 PM to 9:30 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 1 Dor L'Dor, 7:15 PM
Sunday, February 16 YISE Annual Banquet
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, January 22, at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director