Parashas Yisro – February 2-3, 2018
Download the February 2-3, 2018 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
February 2 – 3, 2018 – 18 Shevat 5778 – Parshas Yisro
Light Candles by 5:12 – Havdalah 6:14
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Florence & Larry Radkowsky in honor of the 90th birthdays of Frank & Minette Akman – Mazal Tov!
* Aliza & Russell Kwiat on the recent marriage of their son Moshe to Shayna Friedenberg (Baltimore/Israel), daughter of Andrea & Alan Friedenberg. Mazal Tov also to grandparents Nancy & Avi Weisberger.
* Judy & David Marwick on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson Shlomi Gedalya, son of Chana & Josh Even-Chen of Maale Adumim.
YISE welcomes Rabbi Menachem Winter and the rabbis and families of the GWCK and Rabbi Baruch Levine. We look forward to an inspiring Shabbos and thank you for sharing it with us. See attached flyer for details.
* Light Candles by 5:12
Ashkenazi: 5:15 (Ruach), 5:15 (Social Hall) Sephardi: 5:10 Nusach Sefard: 5:10
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:10 Sephardi: 4:50 Nusach Sefard: 5:10
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:14
* Musical Havalah: 6:30 in the Social Hall
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Menachem Winter
* 8:00 Rabbi Yaacov Sternman
* 9:15 Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Lew Sosnowik to commemorate the Yahrzeits of his parents, Sima & Abraham Sosnowik and his sister Chana Sosnowik; and Vivian & Arnie Kirshenaum to commemorate the Yahrzeit of Arnie's parents Dovid Ben Yechiel Tzvi HaKohain & Gittel bas Moshe.
* Sephardi Minyan – Luna & Avi Perez
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Jodi & David Mazel to commemorate the first Yahrtzeit of Jodi's mother, Ellen Bressler Mills, Etta Simcha bas Yaacov v’Fayga; and an anonymous donor in honor of the Greater Washington Community Kollel.
* 9:15 Minyan – "The 9:15 Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 4:10 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Thirteen Attributes with Rabbi Moshe Sadwin
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 7:00 AM – 7:45 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for Men and Women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or email@example.com
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? We Can Appreciate Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Meseches Bava Basra, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM in the Social Hall.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays, 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at firstname.lastname@example.org or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: Parsha Analysis with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Tuesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Wednesday: Reading Responsa with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Inspired Avodah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Women (class located in the Small Social Hall):
* Monday: Horeb: The Power of Mitzvos with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter
YISE Programs and Listings
Dor L’Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Motzei Shabbos, February 3, 7:30 PM, Social Hall. This Dor l'Dor is sponsored by Tuvia and Carol Lazar in honor of their children. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun! For more information contact Michael Shimoff at email@example.com
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, February 5, 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. West in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Taharat Hamishpacha Refresher Course for Married Men – Taught by Rabbi Rosenbaum. Monday, February 5, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM, in the Large Beis Medrash.
Senior Lunch – Wednesday, February 7, 12:00 Noon, Social Hall. Dr. Alan Breitler will speak about "The Difference Between the Jewish Calendar and the Solar Calendar."
Membership Directory – The 2018 YISE Membership Directory will be updated soon. Send updated information to email@example.com
Taharat Hamishpacha Refresher Course for Married Women – Taught by Mrs. Sharon Freundel. Part 2: Sunday, February 25 (changed from original date), 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM. YISE Social Hall.
Scholar-in-Residence – Mark your calendar for the next Scholar-in- Residence – March 2-3 with Rabbi Dr. Michael & Prof. Smadar Rosensweig. Friday night dinner at YISE – stay tuned for details.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in
the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan, youth room behind the Balcony; 1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM, Yeshiva; walking group leaves at 10:00 AM, girls meet in the main lobby/boys meet outside Social Hall. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nedarim. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy’s Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy’s Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com Rabbi Marvin Goldman’s Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, Ferbruary 3, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 906, at 3:00 PM.
YGW Girls Division Annual Production for Women & Girls – "The Nanny" – at Berman, 13300 Arctic Avenue, Rockville, MD. Sunday February 11, doors open 12:30 PM, show begins 1:00 PM, Monday February 12 doors open 6:30 PM, show begins 7:00 PM. Pizza, drinks, and "nosh" available for sale during intermission. Advance tickets & playbill ads www.yeshiva.edu Tickets available at the door. For more information: YGWproduction@gmail.com
Vaad Mashgichim The R.C.G.W. is hiring Mashgichim. Training will be given to qualified candidates. Candidates should be fully Shomer Shabbos and Kashrus. Contact Rabbi Zvi Holland firstname.lastname@example.org or Rabbi Moshe Walter at email@example.com
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, February 7, 8:00 PM – 9:00PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
amp Chaverim – You and your son are invited to the Camp Chaverim Open House at the home of Rabbi & Mrs. Baldinger, 615 Hyde Rd., Motzei Shabbos, February 3, 8:45 PM-9:45 PM for boys grades 3-6, and 9:45 PM-10:45 PM for boys grades 7-10. RSVP requested by email email@example.com
CPR Class – Sunday, February 11, 12 Noon at YISE. Full certification class by a trainer from NOVA Cert, LLC. Infant & child CPR ONLY, no adult CPR component. If there is enough interest from teenagers, there will be a concurrent babysitting preparation class, including CPR certification and special training for new babysitters. Cost is $35 per person, paid at the event. Estimated time is 2-1/2 – 3 hours. Sign up by emailing LCypess@gmail.com Specify if you are interested in the babysitting preparation class.
Caregiver Support Group – Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington is looking to form a monthly support group for adults coping with the challenges of caregiving for family members. For details & registration, contact BCGW at 202-331-4481 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Parenting With a Plan – YGW Boys Division invites the community to the second session of a free 3-part series on parenting adolescents with Rabbi Akiva Sutofsky, LPC, M.S. Mental Health Counseling & YGW Yeshiva Gedolah Alumnus. Monday February 5 at 8:00 PM, YGW Boys Campus: "Lost in the Confusion" – Understanding Peer Pressure and How Kids Make Friends, Keeping Your Kids Happy With Their Judaism – Understanding Your Role, Parental Breakdown and Loss of Identity -Remembering Who We Are. RSVP or for more info: Mr. Shlomo Berman, email@example.com, 301-649-7077 x1525
The Week Ahead
Sunday February 4 Monday February 5 Tuesday February 6 Wednesday February 7 Thursday February 8 Friday February 9
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:10 6:10 6:05 6:10
Ashkenazi 5:20 5:20 / 7:30 5:20 / 7:30 5:20 / 7:30 5:20 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 5:15 5:15 5:15 5:15 5:15
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:18 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:44 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:53 PM
February 9-10, 2018 – 25 Shevat 5778
Light Candles by 5:20 – Havdalah 6:21
* Light Candles by 5:20
Ashkenazi: 5:20 Sephardi: 5:15 Nusach Sefard: 5:20
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:15 Sephardi: 4:55 Nusach Sefard: 5:15
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:21
Shabbos, February 2-3 An Inspirational Shabbos with GWCK
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 3 Dor L’Dor, 7:30 PM, Social Hall
Sunday, February 4 Understanding Depression, 10:30 AM, Social Hall
Monday, February 5 Taharat Hamishpacha Refresher Course for Married Men, 8:00 PM Large Beis Medrash
Wednesday, February 7 Senior Lunch, 12:00 Noon, Social Hall
Monday, February 12 Basic Colors, 12:30 PM – 6:30 PM, Social Hall
Sunday, February 25 Purim Carnival, 10:30 AM, Social Hall
Sunday, February 25 Taharat Hamishpacha Refresher Course for Married Women, 7:00 PM, Social Hall
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, February 7 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager