Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
February 17-18, 2017 – 22 Shevat 5777 – Parshas Yisro
Light Candles by 5:30 – Havdalah 6:30
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387.
* Bayla & Jeremy Goodman on the birth of a son. Mazal Tov to grandparents Gloria Feldman and Helene & Gary Goodman. The Shalom Zachor will be at the Goodmans' home, 11527 Monticello Avenue at 8:30 PM.
* Masha & Seth Katz on the Bar Mitzvah of their son Meir. Mazal Tov also to his brothers, Yisrael and Hershel, to his grandfather, Howard Katz, and to all of the aunts, uncles, and cousins.
* Yael & Yaakov Murphy on the birth of a son. Mazal Tov also to siblings Yehuda and Hadassah. The Shalom Zachor will be at the Murphys' home, 712 Kersey Road from 8:30 PM – 10:30 PM.
* Marla & Marty Teichman on the marriage of their granddaughter, Chava Goldberger, daughter of Randee & Manny Goldberger, to Avraham Yarconi, son of Nancy & Barry Yarconi.
* Charlotte Weill on the birth of a great-grandson, to Pessy & Dr. Avraham Kalikstein. Mazal Tov to the grandparents Leah & Bezalel Weill and to the entire Weill family.
* Jodi Mazel on the passing of her mother, Ellen Bressler Mills. The funeral took place on Sunday in Atlanta, GA. Shiva was completed before Shabbos.
* Delia Weiss and Miriam Friedman on the passing of their husband and father, Dr. George Weiss. The funeral took place on Thursday. Shiva will be observed at the Weiss home, 1105 North Belgrade Road, through Wednesday morning. The Minyan schedule is as follows: Shacharis: Sunday and Monday (Presidents Day): 8:00, Tuesday and Wednesday: 7:00. Mincha/Maariv: Sunday, Monday, Tuesday: 5:30.
* Light Candles by 5:30
Arcola: 5:30 University: 5:30 Sephardi: 5:25 Nusach Sefard: 5:30
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 9:15 Minyan will meet in the Small Social Hall.
Arcola: 2:30, 5:25 University: 5:25 Sephardi: 5:05 Nusach Sefard: 5:25
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:30
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 and 9:15 Minyanim Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Lew Sosnowik in honor of the Yahrzeits of his parents, Sima & Abraham Sosnowik and his sister Chana Sosnowik; and Vivian & Arnie Kirshenbaum in honor of their daughter Rochel Diamond completing her nurse practitioner degree from Georgetown University and in honor of the Yahrzeit of Arnie's father, Dovid Ben Yechiel Tzvi HaKohain.
* 8:45 Main Minyan / 9:15 Minyan – Masha & Seth Katz and family in honor of Meir's Bar Mitzvah.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Lower Lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 4:35 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Before We Begin with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women on The Value of Modesty – based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM in the Large Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:15 AM – 11:00 AM.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or email@example.com
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? We Can Appreciate Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at firstname.lastname@example.org or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: 613 with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Tuesday: In The Beginning with Rabbi Zacharia Schwartz.
* Wednesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Inspired Avodah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher, Kollel Zichron Amram and Rebbe, YGW.
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Women (class located in the Small Social Hall):
* Monday: Women of Valor with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter.
YISE Programs and Listings
Carpe Diem!!! Utilizing your unique inner strengths for making an ordinary life extraordinary! Seizing the day and creating eternity! – The YISE Social Committee welcomes all women to an Oneg Shabbos this Friday night, at the Silvers' home, 1131 University Blvd. W., Apt. 520, at 8:45 PM. Enjoy delicious food (provided by the hosts), warmth and spirituality with a Shiur by Rabbi Silver's mother, Mrs. Chana Silver.
YISE Paint Nite – Presented by the YISE Social Committee with Talya Weinberg. Motzei Shabbos, February 18. Refreshments at 7:30 PM, painting begins at 8:00 PM. YISE Social Hall. EVENT IS SOLD OUT.
Make the Most of Your Doctor's Appointment – A medical panel coaches you in how to plan for your visit, discuss sensitive topics, and ask the right questions about tests, medications, and results. Drs. Theo Heller, David Taragin, and Daniel Schwartz. Sunday, February 19, 10:30 AM – 12:00 Noon, YISE Social Hall. Sponsored by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, and chesed committees of YISE, KMS, SSJC, and Ohr Hatorah.
Yahrzeit of Rabbi Hillel Klavan, ZT"L – The Vaad Harabanim of Greater Washington invites the community to a gathering to mark the first Yahrzeit of its long-time President. Sunday, February 19, 8:00 PM at YISE. Speakers will be Rabbi Yehoshua Wender, Rabbi Yosef Singer, Rabbi Sheftel Neuberger, and Rabbi Menachem Winter.
NEXT WEEK: Ruach Minyan – Friday, February 24, 5:40 PM in the Arcola Social Hall. There will be a special children's story telling program. So bring the family and invite your friends. It's going to be Gevaldic! For more information contact: email@example.com
NEXT WEEKEND: Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Motzei Shabbos, February 25, 7:45 PM, Arcola Social Hall. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun!
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, March 6, 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. West, Apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
YISE Shomrai Nursery Registration for 2017-2018 is now open! Visit http://nursery.yise.org to register Contact 301–593–7365 or email@example.com to schedule a tour.
Camp Shomrai is Back for Another Wonderful Summer! Camp will run for 7 weeks beginning Monday, June 26 and ending Friday, August 11. Register online at http://campshomrai. campapplications.com For more information contact Sarah Dollman at firstname.lastname@example.org
YISE Rediscovered Art Auction is scheduled for May. Please ask friends & relatives if they have any artwork to donate. When you travel and visit with family and friends, we hope you will remember to ask for art! For information, contact Auction Chairs Sammy Franco 301-649-1755 or Elaine Rubin 301-681-4000.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
Like YISE on Facebook: facebook.com/YIShomraiEmunah
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash.
Please note: Last week's Youth Kiddush was sponsored by the Friedman and Solomson families in honor of their wonderful Gabbaim, Edan and Noach.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30-10:00. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Midrash, Manicures, and Milkshakes – Women of all ages are invited to join us for our third annual event, Sunday, February 19, 2017 from 5:45 PM – 7:15 PM. RSVP to email@example.com
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Seuda, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:40 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Kesuvos. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Yoetzet Halacha Bracha Rutner will be in Kemp Mill this Shabbos, February 17-18. If you have any questions, or would like to schedule a time to speak with Bracha privately when she is here, please contact her at email@example.com or Naomi Carmel at firstname.lastname@example.org
Jewish Good Book Directory – Community members are invited either to list their households for the first time or to update their current listings. Please send your information ASAP to email@example.com
The Unveiling for Esther Becker will be on Sunday, February 19 at 2:00 PM at the Ohev Sholom Cemetery, 3237 15th Place S.E., Washington, DC.
Is there a Blessing for the President?: The Bracha of Nasan M'Kvodo – The Federal Holiday Learning Program for Men with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher. Monday, February 20. Light refreshments will be served. Chavrusa Learning 9:00 AM – Members of the Kollel Zichron Amram of YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah will be available for Chavrusa learning. Shiur 10:00 AM at the YGW Boys Campus. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, February 22, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Workplace Skills Workshops:
* Job Search Skills – Peggy McKee offers a variety of free webinars each week. For more info and to register, please visit http://careerconfidential.com/training-webinars/
* 50+ Job Seekers – The next 5-day session of JCA's Career Gateway starts February 27. For info, contact Career.Gateway@AccessJCA.org
* Questions about these workshops may be addressed to DMarwick@JobAssist.org
Zoned In: The Halachos of Kavana – Semi-Annual Yom Iyun for Men with the Kollel Zichron Amram of YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah. Sunday, March 5. Foxman Bais Medrash, Boys Campus. Schedule: 8:00 AM Davening, 8:45 AM community breakfast, 9:30 AM Hakdamah – an introduction to the learning by Rabbi Eli Reingold, Rosh Kollel, 9:45 AM Learning Seder with opportunities to learn the source material in Chavrusas with the Rabbis and alumni of the Kollel as well as Rabbanim from the Shuls in the Greater Washington area. 12:00 Noon Shiur by Rabbi Eli Reingold, Rosh Kollel, 12:55 PM Closing remarks by Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky, Rosh HaYeshiva. To RSVP or for more information: contact Rabbi Moshe Haim Blate at 404-273-3392 or email@example.com
Shoe Drive – K'nafayim, a family services nonprofit serving the Jewish community in Maryland, is running a used shoe drive to raise funds for its services. These funds will be used to support marriages and families with low-cost counseling, workshops on dating, marriage, and parenting, abuse prevention initiatives, and more! Learn more at www.knafayim.com Please drop your shoes off (any style, any condition) at 606 Winona Court.
Purim Particulars – YISE and Beyond
Celebrate Purim with YISE! Join us for a family Megilla reading followed by dancing and refreshments! Men, women and children of all ages are welcome and costumes are encouraged! Motzei Shabbos, March 11 at 7:30 PM.
Sixteenth Annual Purim Yahrzeit Shiur in memory of Jane Axelrod (Raizel bas Simcha) on Purim, Sunday, March 12 at 10:30 AM in the Penthouse Level Party Room, 1111 University Blvd W. (University Towers).The Shiur ends by 11:00 AM.
YISE Shomrai Nursery Purim Card Sale – Please support our community's children by ordering our beautiful full color, glossy Purim cards featuring our very own students! Order: 3 cards for $6, 10 cards for $18, 20 cards for $36, 30 cards for $54, 40 cards for $72 (envelopes included). Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-593-7365 and state your name, phone number and number of cards ordering. Cards available for pickup from Shul office or Shomrai Nursery.
AMIT is selling beautiful Purim Cards – Please contact Esther Edeson at 301-593-4465 x402 or Hope Taragin at email@example.com
Rose & Bernard Singer Megilla Reading Program – Do you or someone you know need Megilla read because you cannot get to Shul, are ill, or other reason? Volunteers are also needed to Lein the Megilla. Don't wait until the last minute. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-593-1193.
Matanos L'Evyonim Options:
* Rabbi Rosenbaum will be collecting for distribution on Purim, primarily to local individuals in need. Drop off checks at the office made out to "YISE Charity Fund" and specifically marked "Matanos L'Evyonim" or give them to Rabbi Rosenbaum directly.
* The Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington – which assists individuals and families year-round in our region, will be distributing on Purim day. To donate, please click on the Matanot LaEvyonim banner at http://yadyehuda.com
* The Franco Foundation – donations will be distributed on Purim. Please help with your generous tax-deductible donation to the Franco Foundation, c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through paypal at email@example.com
Shomrai Nursery is seeking Full-Time and Part-Time Teacher Assistants for the 2017-2018 school year. We are looking for teacher assistants who want to be a part of a collaborative team of professionals who work together to ensure developmentally appropriate practice in a warm, nurturing and creative setting. The position requires a high school diploma or equivalent, ECE 90 Hour Course preferred. Please contact Ruthie Cohen at firstname.lastname@example.org if interested.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, February 19 Monday, Feb. 20 – Presidents Day Tuesday, February 21 Wednesday, February 22 Thursday, February 23 Friday, February 24
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:10 7:15 7:15 7:10 7:15
Arcola 5:40 5:40 5:40 / 7:30 5:40 / 7:30 5:40 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 5:35 5:35 5:35 5:35 5:35
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:02 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:33 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:52 PM
February 24-25, 2017 – 29 Shevat 5777
Parshas Mishpatim – Parshas Shekalim
Light Candles by 5:37 – Havdalah 6:37
* Light Candles by 5:37
Arcola: 5:40, Ruach University: 5:40 Sephardi: 5:35 Nusach Sefard: 5:40
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:35 University: 5:35 Sephardi: 5:15 Nusach Sefard: 5:35
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:37
Shabbos, February 18 Bar Mitzvah of Meir Katz
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 18 YISE Paint Nite, YISE Social Hall
Sunday, February 19 Midrash, Manicures, and Milkshakes
Monday, February 20 Basic Colors, 12:00 PM – 6:30 PM
Tuesday February 21 YISE Board of Directors Meeting, 8:00 PM, Small Beis Midrash
Friday, February 24 Ruach Minyan, 5:40 PM, YISE Social Hall
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 25 Dor L'Dor, 7:45 PM, YISE Social Hall
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, February 22 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager