Parashas Yisro – February 1-2, 2013
Download the February 1-2 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
February 1-2, 2013 – 22 Shevat 5773 – Parshas Yisro
Light Candles by 5:11 – Havdalah 6:13
* Light Candles by 5:11
* Mincha 5:10 (Sephardi), 5:15 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 4:55 (Sephardi), 5:10
* Maariv/Havdalah 6:13
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* 8:45 Minyan Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Lew Sosnowik in memory of his parents and by Vivian & Dr. Arnold Kirshenbaum in memory of his father.
* 8 AM Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Friends of Avi & Esti Zemelman in honor of their upcoming Aliyah. Our community's loss is Israel's gain. The entire community wishes them good-bye, good luck & good health in their new home.
* R' Pinchas Werner – Shiur at 8:15 AM.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 4:10 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 4:40 PM.
* Rabbi Menachem Winter – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the youth room behind the Women's Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM-6:45 AM, Arcola Social Hall.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Zichron Gedaliah Bais Medrash for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays after the 7:15 PM Maariv minyan at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Join us as we continue the exciting topic of "Lifnei Ivar: Causing others harm or to sin." Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster independent Gemara proficiency. Thursday evenings at 8:00 PM.
Super Sunday is this weekend! Help The Jewish Federation of Greater Washington score a touchdown for our community. By answering your phone and deciding to making a gift on Sunday, February 3, you will make a difference in the lives of those who truly need our assistance. Learn more at shalomdc.org/supersunday.
SAVE THE DATE AND MARK YOUR CALENDAR NOW!
YISE Annual Banquet, Sunday, April 14, 2013.
Honorees: Laurie Bassan & Stuart Cohen.
Young Leadership: Allison & Louis Lazar
* Cheryl & Richie Broth on the Bat Mitzvah of their daughter, Aviva.
* Debby & Barry Greengart on the birth of a granddaugther, Bracha Tehila, to Batya & Chaim Preiser of Baltimore.
* Arlette Jacobson and Cheryl & Ken Jacobson on the birth of a grandson, Yakov Shmuel, to Elisheva & Gabriel Jacobson of Monsey.
* Joelle & Bill Zimbalist on the Bat Mitzvah of their granddaughter, Shira, daughter of Sara & Simmy Zimbalist of Beit Shemesh.
* Ira Zimmerman on the birth of a granddaughter, Dalya Baila, to Rivka & Shimy Klein of Baltimore. Mazal Tov to great-grandmother Natalie Zimmerman.
* Eva Bazian on the passing of her mother, Lillian Wanderer. The funeral was held this week in New York. Shiva will be held through Wednesday morning at her home, 11702 Kemp Mill Road.
* Rochelle Wertenteil on the passing of her mother, Esther Kurant. The funeral was held this week in Israel. Shiva will be held through Sunday morning at her home, 11712 Kemp Mill Road.
YISE Programs and Listings
YISE welcomes the Greater Washington Community Kollel for their Fourth Annual Shabbaton. There will be the following presentations throughout Shabbos:
* Oneg Shabbos, Friday night at 8:00 PM: Rabbi Dovid Brotsky, at the home of Simi & Sammy Franco, 11525 Monticello Ave.
* After 8:45 Shacharis Minyan: Rabbi Menachem Winter, Rosh Kollel: Legacy of Love; Gifts of Royalty: An Appreciation of Matan Torah and the Exodus.
* Women's Class – 3:15 PM: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter: Sinai and You; Forever Together, at the home of Fran & Alan Broder, 11801 Clintwood Place.
* Oneg Shabbos for Teenage Girls – 3:15 PM: Mrs. Nechama Zakem: Finding the Road to Happiness – A Lively Discussion, at the home of Valerie & Dan Kugler, 11602 Fillmore Dr.
* At the Sephardi Seudah Shlishit: Rabbi Zecharia Schwartz
* Between Mincha and Maariv: Rabbi Menachem Winter, Rosh Kollel: Love Thy Neighbor: A Halachic Presentation on Common Issues Arising Between Neighbors.
Dor L'Dor – the family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Motzei Shabbos at 7:15 PM in Arcola social hall and open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lot of fun! This week is sponsored by Elaine & Larry Rubin and family.
The Cholim list is being redone. Names must be resubmitted by Thursday, Feb. 7 to Esther Edeson at email@example.com or 301-593-4465, ext. 402 to remain on the list.
2012 Tax Statements have gone out in the mail this week.
Together for 5 – Join a Shul-wide initiative to learn together for 5 minutes a day. Sign-up to receive email links to MP3/Audio Shiurim and/or podcasts that run 5 minutes a day 5 days a week. Listen anytime that works for you! Join Rabbi Rosenbaum for the first series of Shiurim, as he shares insights on the Halachos and Ideas of Purim. The first series will be from Feb. 4 thru Feb. 22. Choose from two sign-up options: e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.yise.org/together-for-5. For more information, or to suggest topics for future programs please contact Yehuda Shinensky at onlineshiurim@YISE.org.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on topics in Jewish History on Monday, February 4, from 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 203 (Mrs. Brenda Eisenberg's apartment). Light refreshments will be served. For more information, please contact Miriam Friedman – 301-754-1517, email@example.com.
YISE Sisterhood 4th Annual Membership Brunch on Sunday, Feb. 17 from 10 AM to noon in the YISE Arcola Social Hall. Dairy brunch, desserts, D'var Torah and more! Ladies: Become involved in your Sisterhood! The brunch begins the 2013 sisterhood membership year. Brunch fee: 2013 sisterhood members: With RSVP: $10; At the door: $15; Non-sisterhood members: $18. 2013 sisterhood membership fee: $36. Dues can be paid at the door or checks can be made out to "YISE Sisterhood" and mailed in advance to Hedy Bauman, Sisterhood Treasurer, 1131 University Blvd. W., Apt. 610, Silver Spring, MD 20902. RSVP requested. For info. or to RSVP, contact Esther Goldfeiz at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-793-1307.
Community Service Day – Join us on Sunday, Feb. 17 from 12 noon – 2:00 PM. Limited to 20 per session. For more information and to RSVP, please contact Miriam Friedman email@example.com. Volunteer at A Wider Circle (distribution center) – 9159 Brookville Road, 301-608-3504. Upper School students can receive community service hours. All ages may volunteer. Sponsored by the YISE and KMS Chesed Committees, and MJBHA.
The Third Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer Z"L will be held at a Suedat Shlishit on Shabbos, April 13, Parshas Tazria-Metzorah. The Adult Education Committee has divided the Tanach into 133 sections. To register for a particular section visit the YISE website (http://www.yise.org/siyum) or contact Bob Levi at 301-593-2399.
Job Assist Events:
* Accounting Issues for Small Businesses and Startups. Wed, Feb 20, 7:45 PM-9:15 PM, YISE, Arcola Social Hall. Featuring Sharon Samuels. To reserve a seat, please email DMarwick@JobAssist.org.
* LinkedIn – Intermediate Users. Wed, Feb 20, 1-2:30pm, 200 Wood Hill Road, Rockville. Info and register at www.jssa.org.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands and thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed Medical Fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: Young Israel Shomrai Emunah (YISE) Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett – 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade meet in the Small Beis Medrash; Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10 AM-11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
YISE Youth presents Super Bowl Sunday at Shomrai! Sunday February 3, Kick off 6:30 p.m. All are welcome. Hot dogs and wings provided at a nominal fee. Contact Avi Litwack for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Community Programs and Listings
1st Grade Girls' Shabbos Group will meet on February 2 at the home of Amalya Zatman, 11709 Fulham St., from 4:00 PM – 5:00 PM.
Book Sale! Hundreds of new and gently used books! Wed. and Thur., Feb. 6 and 7, 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM, Fri., Feb. 8, 8:30 AM – 12:00 PM. MJBHA, 13300 Arctic Ave. All proceeds go to the MJBHA Media Center. Volunteers needed: If you would like to volunteer or need further information, contact Rena Fruchter at 301-962-9400, x5194 or email@example.com.
TSGW's 10th Annual Chinese Auction will take place on Feb. 10 at 7:00 PM at Beth Sholom in Potomac. Check out our website at www.tsgwauction.com
Sulam presents: "School Success for Kids with ADHD; Supports for Home and School" featuring Dr. Stephan Silverman, Director of Psychological and Behavioral Services for The Weinfeld Education Group; Moderated by Dr. Rachel Ravin, Sulam Psychologist. Feb. 13, 7:45 PM at KMS. Jewish Disability Awareness month is February. For more information, 301-962-9400 x5523.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, February 3 Monday, February 4 Tuesday, February 5 Wednesday, February 6 Thursday, February 7 Friday, February 8
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 6:15 6:30 6:30 6:15 6:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 5:20 5:20 5:20 5:20 5:20 See Shabbos schedule
University 5:20 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv)
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:18 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:44 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:53 PM
February 8-9, 2013 – 29 Shevat 5773
Parshas Mishpatim / Parshas Shekalim
Light Candles by 5:19 – Havdalah 6:20
* Light Candles by 5:19
* Mincha 5:15 (Sephardi), 5:20 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00 (Sephardi), 5:15
* Maariv/Havdalah 6:20
Shabbos, Feb, 1-2 GWCK / YISE Shabbaton
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 2 Dor L'Dor, 7:15 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Sunday, Feb. 3 Super Bowl Party, 6:30 PM
Wednesday, Feb. 6 Senior Lunch, Arcola, 12:00 Noon – Musical program with Alan Sussman
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 16 Dor L'Dor, 7:15 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Sunday, Feb. 17 Sisterhood 4th Annual Membership Brunch
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, Feb. 6, at 12 noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday thru Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM and Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director