Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
December 16-17, 2016 – 17 Kislev 5777 – Parshas Vayishlach
Light Candles by 4:29 – Havdalah 5:32
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Florence & Lawrence Radkowsky in memory of their mothers' Yahrzeits: Bessie Radkowsky, Basya Bas Shalom Dov, and Esther Kramer, Esther Bas Asher Yehuda.
• Yehudis & Rabbi Moshe Arzouan on the Bar Mitzvah of their son Yehuda. Mazal Tov to great-grandfather, Marvin Konick, grandparents Yocheved & Rabbi Haim Arzouan and Ruth & William Konick, great-great aunt, Shirley Sperling, and aunts and uncles Aviva & Eilan Aghbashoff, Shoshanna & Josh Suchoff, and Ayelet & Yosef Konick.
* Florence Avigan on the birth of a great-granddaughter, Noa, born to her grandchildren Yehudit & Daniel Shulman. Mazal Tov also to great aunt and uncle Karen & Howie Schulman and the whole Mishpacha.
* Rachel & Michael Harris on the engagement of their daughter, Ayala, to Isaac Pearl, son of David Pearl. Mazal tov to grandparents, siblings, and to the extended Harris and Pearl families.
* Leah & Yehoshua Scheininger on the birth of a baby girl.
* Light Candles by 4:29
Arcola: 4:30, Ruach University: 4:30 Sephardi: 4:25 Nusach Sefard: 4:30
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: N/A Sephardi: 8:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 9:15 Minyan will merge with the 8:45 Main Minyan.
Arcola: 2:30, 4:25 University: N/A Sephardi: 4:05 Nusach Sefard: 4:25
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:32
* Sephardi Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Dovid Gottlieb
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – Yehudis & Rabbi Moshe Arzouan in honor of their son Yehuda's Bar Mitzvah. (The Kiddush will take place at the Yeshiva.)
* 8:45 Main Minyan – YISE in honor of our Scholar-in-Residence, Rabbi Dovid Gottlieb.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 3:25 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 3:30 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Dovid Gottlieb – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Before we Begin with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women on The Value of Modesty – based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM in the Large Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:15 AM – 11:00 AM.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? We Can Appreciate Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at email@example.com or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: 613 with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Tuesday: In The Beginning with Rabbi Zacharia Schwartz – will not meet this week.
* Wednesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Inspired Avodah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher, Kollel Zichron Amram and Rebbe, YGW
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – will not meet on Tuesday.
* Women (class located in the Small Social Hall):
* Monday: Women of Valor with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter.
YISE Programs and Listings
We welcome our Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Dovid Gottlieb. Rav at Yeshivat Har Etzion (Gush); Rabbi and Co-founder of Ganei Ha'ela, Beit Shemesh; Former Rav, Congregation Shomrei Emunah, Baltimore.
* Friday Evening, 8:00 PM, light refreshments: From Milan to Meah Shearim: Fashion and Jewish Identity in the Modern World
* After 8:45 Main Minyan Shacharis (~11:00): Talking to the Shepherd – What Does Being Religious Really Mean? – Kiddush follows.
* Between Mincha / Maariv: The Case of the Poison Sandwich
Ruach Minyan – Friday, December 16, 4:30 PM in the Arcola Social Hall. In addition, during part of the Davening, a special children's program will be held! So, join us, bring the family and tell your friends. It's going to be Gevaldig! For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Motzei Shabbos, December 17, 6:30 PM, Arcola Social Hall. Open to the entire community! This week is sponsored by the Branda and Israel families! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun!
Kiddush Hashem and Living to Talk About It – Pre-Chanukah Shiur by Rav Ahron Lopiansky. Tuesday, December 20, at 8:00 PM at YISE. Maariv to follow. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Senior Lunch – Wednesday, December 21. Chanukah Celebration! Entertainment by the Shomrai Emunah Nursery School and Michael Rubin: Songs and Guitar Music
A Fertility Journey: Panel Discussion – Understand the stresses that 1 in 8 couples face, trying to get pregnant or sustain a pregnancy; learn some dos and don'ts in supporting your friends or loved ones; and hear from a couple that share their experience. Estee Silver, a registered nurse, Karen Wasserstein, a psychologist specializing in fertility counseling, and Atara and Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum will share their insights. Sponsored by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and chesed committees of YISE, KMS, and SSJC. Sunday, December 25, 10:30 AM – 12:00 Noon, YISE Social Hall.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, January 2 from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517or email@example.com
How to Talk so Kids will Listen and Listen so Kids will Talk – YISE Shomrai Nursery Parenting Series. A six session workshop to help parents develop life long, close, communicative relationships with their children. Facilitated by Judy Rosenthal, parent educator and consultant, who has worked with parents of young children for over 10 years. 6 sessions beginning January 8. At the home of Judy Rosenthal. Cost: $100 per person / $120 per couple. (Includes: A copy of "How to Talk so Kids will Listen, And Listen so Kids will Talk" by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish, and class materials). To Register: contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-593-7365.
Joint YISE/KMS Clothing Drive – January 22. Looking for gently used clothing and shoes to benefit a Jewish organization called CHANA. Details to follow. Contact Miriam Friedman for more info and to volunteer, email@example.com
YISE Rediscovered Art Auction is scheduled for May. Please ask friends & relatives if they have any artwork to donate. As our YISE members travel to visit family at Chanukah, we hope you'll all remember to ask for art! For information, contact Auction Chairs Sammy Franco 301-649-1755 or Elaine Rubin 301-681-4000.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
YISE Financial Software Conversion and Statements
As we approach the end of the year there is an opportunity to save on taxes by donating and paying shul bills by the end of the year. While most YISE members will be receiving their bills shortly, due to complications associated with a software conversion, it is conceivable that not all YISE members will receive their bills in December. If you would like to know the balance on your account please feel free to contact Simi Franco at 301-593-4465, extension 403, or firstname.lastname@example.org As a reminder, donations to YISE can be made online by clicking on the "donate" button at www.yise.org Thank you for your patience during our financial software transition.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Social Hall, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups for all ages run 9:30 AM – 11:40 AM. PLEASE NOTE NEW TIMES FOR THIS WEEK. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Annual Chanukah Celebration: A Chanukah Packed with Flare! Please Join YISE Youth and YISE Nursery on Sunday, December 18, from 12:00 Noon – 2:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall. Sufganiyot, 30ft Inflatable obstacle course, Ben Yehuda Pizza, Wheaton Fire and Rescue Trucks, Zig Zag the Magician, and arts and crafts with YISE Nursery. $5 per person (2 and older), $25 family max, doughnuts are free, pizza is $2.50 per slice. For more info, contact email@example.com
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Seuda, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:40 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Kesuvos. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Bnei Akiva Snif this week for 3rd – 6th graders at KMS 1 hour before KMS Mincha. Walking groups leave YISE 20 min prior to the start of Snif (80 minutes before KMS Mincha).
Parsha Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, December 17, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 906, at 3:00 PM.
Breakfast in Support of Nishmat – With an armchair conversation with Rabbanit Chana Henkin at KMS, Sunday, December 18, 9:30 AM – 10:30 AM. $100, sponsorships available. Former students can come for free and reduced tickets are available. For reservations, please contact email@example.com
The Unveiling of the Matzeiva for Mrs. Edith Milgram A"H will be held on Sunday, December 18 at 10:00 AM at Cheltenham Veterans Cemetery, 11301 Crain Highway, Cheltenham, MD 20623.
The Leo Bernstein Jewish Academy-PTO Fifth Annual Chanukah Boutique – Sunday, December 18, at SSJC, from 12:00 Noon – 4:00 PM. Amazing vendors, a Chinese auction with some great prizes worth up to $120!! Live entertainment and activities for the kids, delicious concessions, and more! If you would like to participate as a vendor, contact PTO@lbja.org
Mathematical Structure in the Universe and Human Thought – Ma Rabu Maasecha: Community Science Lecture Series with Prof. Jonathan Rosenberg (UMCP) with Torah Insights from Rabbi Yonatan Zakem (GWCK). Sunday, December 18, 12:30 PM at YGW Boys Campus. For more information: Rabbi Scott Hillman 301-962-5111 ext 1553
Fair Pay: The Jewish Perspective on Minimum Wage and Overtime – GWCK Brunch and Learn in DC with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman. Monday, December 19, 12:00 Noon – 12:45 PM, at Morgan, Lewis & Bockius, LLP, Room 231, 1111 Pennsylvania Avenue. Complimentary Lunch. RSVP required to firstname.lastname@example.org
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, December 21, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Yoetzet Halacha Bracha Rutner will be in Kemp Mill December 23-24. Please contact Naomi Carmel at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or suggestions for the Yoetzet Halacha program and for the full schedule. Please contact Bracha if you would like to schedule a time to meet with her privately when she is here, email@example.com
Light up the Night – Join AMIT on Motzei Shabbos, December 24 at 8:00 PM at 504 Hermleigh Road. Bring something that lights – most creative wins! Artisanal pizza, Sufganiot from Satori and sundae bar. Couvert: $35 / person, $75 / couple. Proceeds will benefit Ellen's Kids Project. Questions? Contact Robbie 410-484-2223.
The Grinch who Stole Chanukah: Lighting with Stolen Olive Oil – Federal Holiday Learning Program for Men with Rav Ahron Lopiansky. Monday, December 26. Chavrusa Learning 9:00 AM, Shiur 10:00 AM at the YGW Boys Campus. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Shlock Rock Chanukah Concert – Hosted by the Leo Bernstein Jewish Academy of Fine Arts at the SSJC. Monday, December 26. 6:30 PM (Doors open at 6:00 PM).Tickets start at $10 and special discounts for children and families. Amazing VIP ticket package. Find out more at LBJA.org
GWCK Chanukah Celebration – Monday, December 26, 7:00 PM. Bring your family to celebrate Chanukah with the Greater Washington Community Kollel family. Guest speaker for adults, special performance for kids, live music, dancing, and hot Chanukah refreshments! At GWCK, 10900 Lockwood Drive.
Workplace Skills Workshop:
* LinkedIn Training – Free webinar by Lisa Rangel on Tuesday, December 27 and Thursday, December 29. Info and sign up at http://chameleonresumes.com/li-12-2016/
Camp Shoresh Open House – Sunday, January 15, 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM at 2428 Pleasant View Road, Adamstown, MD 21710. For questions or to RSVP for the Open House, 410-358-8571 or firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.shoresh.com
Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington – In addition to its food assistance initiatives, Yad Yehuda provides a wide range of emergency relief programs to our brethren throughout the Greater Washington area. For those who qualify, assistance may be provided to avoid eviction or the cut off of utilities, to obtain interest-free loans, or to receive a dignified burial. Yad Yehuda's wide range of services support hundreds of individuals and families, and are essential to our communal safety net. To learn more and to donate, please go to http://www.yadyehuda.org/financial-assistance.html
"O Chanukah, O Chanukah, come light the Menorah," … and please, take the time to consider making a food contribution to the Capital Kosher Pantry of Yad Yehuda. Let's spread the light of Chanukah by sharing our joy with those who will benefit from our thoughtfulness and generosity. The CKP welcomes donations of kosher, non-perishable food items (well within the use-by date) in factory sealed, non-breakable containers CKP collection boxes which can be found at community Shul and school locations.
Silver Spring Eruv Association Appeal
Please help maintain the Eruv by sending in your annual contribution. Your donations are the only source of funding for the Eruv. The suggested amount is $54 per household. (More or less is also accepted.) Checks should be made payable to "YISE Eruv Fund" to be tax deductible. They should be mailed directly to SSEA at (NEW ADDRESS) 707 Lamberton Dr. Silver Spring, MD 20902. For more information, visit www.yise.org/eruv or contact email@example.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday, December 18 Monday, December 19 Tuesday, December 20 Wednesday, December 21 Thursday, December 22 Friday, December 23
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:10 7:15 7:15 7:10 7:15
Arcola 4:35 4:35 / 7:30, 9:00 4:35 / 7:30, 9:00 4:35 / 7:30, 9:00 4:35 / 7:30, 9:00 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 4:30 4:30 4:30 4:30 4:30
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:28 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:43 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:39 PM
December 23-24, 2016 – 24 Kislev 5777
Parshas Vayeshev – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 4:32 – Havdalah 5:36
* Light Candles by 4:32
Arcola: 4:35 University: 4:35 Sephardi: 4:30 Nusach Sefard: 4:35
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 4:30 University: 4:30 Sephardi: 4:10 Nusach Sefard: 4:30
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:36
Friday, December 16 Ruach Minyan, 4:30 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Shabbos, December 16-17 Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Dovid Gottlieb
Shabbos, December 17 Bar Mitzvah of Yehuda Arzouan
Motzei Shabbos, Dec. 17 Dor L'Dor, 6:30 PM, YISE Social Hall
Sunday, December 18 Annual Youth Chanukah Celebration, 12:00 Noon – 2:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Wednesday, December 21 Senior Lunch, Chanukah Celebration!
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, December 21 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager