Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Purim Pants
March 15 – 16, 2019 – 9 Adar II 5779 – Parshas Vayikra/Zachor
Light Candles by 6:56 – Havdalah 7:56
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Aliza & Gil Chlewicki in memory of Aliza's father, Robert Sacknovitz (Reuvain ben Shaul Zissel), on the occasion of his fifth Yahrzeit on 13 Adar II.
* Jack Mehlman on the engagement of his grandson, Moshe Linfield, to Rachael Lerner of Teaneck, NJ. Mazal Tov to Faygah & Jed Linfield on the engagement of their son, and to Mordechai, Tzivia, Avrumi, Shoshana, Gavriella, and Nechama on the engagement of their brother and to the Mehlman and Cohen families on the engagement of their nephew and cousin.
* Karen & Howie Schulman on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson Dovid Kramer, son of Miri & Rabbi Danny Kramer. Mazal Tov to grandparents Marcia & Sheldon Meth and great-grandmother Florence Binstock Avigan. Mazal Tov to Dovid's sisters, aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Rabbi Ivan Lerner on the passing of his mother, Dena Lerner Gerber. Shiva is being observed at 7111 Park Heights Ave., #112, Baltimore, MD 21215, through Sunday morning. Shacharis on Sunday at 8:00am. The family will be receiving visitors on Motzei Shabbos between 9:00 PM – 11:00 PM.
* Rebekah Natanov on the passing of her mother, Geri Bass Geil. Shiva is being observed at 11703 Kemp Mill Road through Wednesday morning. Shacharis Sunday 8:00 AM, Monday & Wednesday (Taanis Esther) 6:45 AM, Tuesday 7:00 AM. Mincha/Maariv Sunday through Tuesday 6:55 PM. The family requests no visitors between 12 Noon and 1:00 PM, between 5:00 PM and 6:30 PM, or after 9:00 PM.
* Light Candles by 6:56
Ashkenazi: 7:00 Ruach: 7:00 Sephardi: 6:55 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00*, 6:50* Sephardi: 6:35* Nusach Sefard: 6:55
* Parshas Zachor will be repeated at the 5:00, 6:35 & 6:50 Minyanim.
* Shabbos Ends: 7:56
* 8:00, 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – Aviva & David Mordehai in honor of the marriage of their daughter, Eveline, to Yan Hankin.
* 8:00 Minyan – Dr. David & Bracha Peto in honor of David making a Siyum on Maseches Kiddushin.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – Ariella Gordon and Tali & Aryeh Lichtman in honor of David Katzoff and to all those who make a special effort in helping out the singles community.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur 9:00 AM, Rabbi's Study.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 6:05 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self- improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the balcony, will resume March 27.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, in the Large Social Hall. Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Sage Wisdom with Rabbi Moshe Sadwin
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Tuesdays: Shivti led by Rabbi Sussman. Rabbi Grossman will be presenting weekly lectures on the weekly topic.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An in-depth analysis.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? Appreciating Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Kesubos, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM in the Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
Ruach Minyan – Join us this Shabbos, March 15, for a Pre-Purim Ruach Minyan in the Large Social Hall at 7:00 PM. While there is no children's story telling program during the minyan, all Daveners are welcome to join us. So bring the family and invite your friends. It's going to be Gevaldic! For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Dispelling Myths Regarding Autism – Sunday, March 24, 10:30 AM – 12 Noon, in the YISE Small Social Hall. Recognize the signs and symptoms of ASD and how it is diagnosed. Learn how schools seek to maximize quality of life and independence of students. Hear from a parent about the experience of raising a child with autism. Hear from a successful professional who is open about his autism. Glean some Jewish insights on all disabilities. Organized by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, Sulam and YISE. Co-sponsored by KMS, SSJC, Ohr Hatorah, SEHC and Chabad of Silver Spring.
Shomrai Preschool Parent Teacher Organization invites the community to a lecture given by Rabbi Rosenbaum on Sunday, March 24, 8:00 PM in the Small Social Hall, "Perspectives on Raising a Jewish Child: Pitfalls and Challenges of Everyday Living". Open to the entire community. If you have questions, contact Moshe Kaplan at email@example.com
Global Good Deeds Day Park Cleanup – Sunday, April 7, 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM. Meet at the steps near CVS in the Kemp Mill Shopping Center. Bags, gloves and t-shirts will be distributed. Upper School students can receive community service hours. Great for all ages! Produced in partnership with The Jewish Federation's Jconnect. Park cleanup organized by YISE, KMS, Berman Hebrew Academy, Berman PTO, NCSY, Chabad of Silver Spring, and Ben Yehuda Pizza with Montgomery Parks. For more info, contact: Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org All volunteers will receive 10% off at Ben Yehuda Pizza on April 7.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
YISE Purim Schedule 5779/2019
Taanis Esther – Wednesday March 20
Fast Begins 5:52am
Earliest Talis/Tefilin 6:20am
Shacharis: Small Social Hall 6:10am
Belonofsky Sanctuary 6:35am
Sephardi – Large Beis Medrash 7:15am
Belonofsky Sanctuary 7:35am
Large Beis Medrash 8:30am
Mincha: Belonofsky Sanctuary 2:00pm
Belonofsky Sanctuary 6:40pm
Sephardi – Large Beis Medrash 7:00pm
Fast Ends 8:00pm
Purim Night – Wednesday March 20
Maariv/Megillah: Belonofsky Sanctuary 7:50pm
Youth/Family – Social Hall 7:50pm
Sephardi – Large Beis Medrash 7:45pm
Nusach Sefard – Small Beis Medrash 7:50pm
Megillah Only: Belonofsky Sanctuary 10:00pm
Purim Day – Thursday March 21
Shacharis/Megillah: Small Social Hall 6:00am
Large Social Hall 6:30am
Belonofsky Sanctuary 7:00am
Sephardi – Large Beis Medrash 7:15am
Belonofsky Sanctuary 8:30am
Megillah Only: Belonofsky Sanctuary 11:00am
Mincha: Belonofsky Sanctuary 2:00pm
Sephardi – Large Beis Medrash 2:00pm
Belonofsky Sanctuary 5:30pm
Maariv: Belonofsky Sanctuary 8:00pm
Sephardi – Large Beis Medrash 9:00pm
Belonofsky Sanctuary 9:30pm
Save the Date: Sunday, May 12th, 2019
YISE Annual Banquet
Honoring: Susan and Abe Zwany
Young Leadership Award: Elise and Ken Saks
Youth Award: Dovy Brodkin
HaKarat HaTov Award to Yvette Epstein
Special Tribute to: Officer Eli Dunham and Officer Justin Haire
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for an Adar-rrrific! Youth Shabbos Program:
2 – 4 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth room behind the Balcony. Kindergarten -4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall. Please pick up child(ren) promptly. See flyer for details. Questions: Contact Rabbi Ari, YISE Shabbos Groups Coordinator, at email@example.com
Purim Carnival – Sunday, March 17, 10:00 AM – 12 Noon at KMS. See flyer for details.
Purim Particulars – YISE and Beyond
Purim Seudah – Thursday, March 21, 5:00 PM in the Social Hall. See flyer for details. RSVP online at www.yise.org/purim RSVP Deadline is Sunday.
Rebbetzin Yehudis Golshevsky will give a Shiur for women on "New Eyes on Purim – How the Mitzvot of Purim Help to Remedy the Negative Spiritual Effects of Haman-Amalek" this Shabbos, March 16, at 5:00 PM at Chabad of Silver Spring, 519 Lamberton Drive.
AMIT is selling beautiful Purim Cards – To purchase cards, contact Esther Edeson at 301-593-4465 x402 or 30l-593- 1468. $3 each 10 for $25.
Sulam Purim Cards – Let us do all the work – we will send out the cards for you! All funds raised help Sulam fulfill our vision to ensure that a high-quality education is available to children in the Greater Washington area irrespective of their learning differences. $4 per card. Order at www.sulam.org/purim
18th Annual Purim Yahrzeit Shiur in memory of Jane Axelrod (Raizel bas Simcha) on Purim, Thursday, March 21, at 10:30 AM in the Penthouse Level Party Room at 1111 University Blvd W. (University Towers.) The shiur ends by 11:00.
Rose & Bernard Singer Megilla Reading Program – Do you or someone you know need Megilla read because you cannot get to Shul, are ill, or other reason? Volunteers are also needed to Lein the Megilla. Don't wait until the last minute. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-593-1193.
Matanos L'Evyonim Options:
* Rabbi Rosenbaum will be collecting for distribution on Purim, primarily to local individuals in need. Drop off checks at the office made out to "YISE Charity Fund" and specifically marked "Matanos L¡¦Evyonim" or give them to Rabbi Rosenbaum directly.
* Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington – provides year-round assistance services and will be distributing Matanot L'Evyonim to individuals and families in serious financial distress in the Greater Washington area. To donate, click on the Matanot LaEvyonim banner at https://yadyehuda.com
* The Franco Foundation – Helping our Community from within our Community. Donations will be distributed on Purim. Please help with your generous tax-deductible donation to the Franco Foundation, c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through PayPal at email@example.com
Community Programs and Listings
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, March 16, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 516, at 4:00 PM
Post High School Girls Shiur – Tuesday nights, 8:30 PM at the Pepper home, 1101 North Belgrade Road. On March 19, the Shiur will be given by Rabbi Pepper.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters Spring Open House – Wednesday, March 27, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Light refreshments. Contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
Sulam Presents: Nourishing Your Child: Tips for helping your child develop a healthy relationship with food, avoiding power struggles, overcoming picky eating, and enjoying a healthy lifestyle supported by good eating habits. A workshop by Ms. Rachel Engelhart, Registered Dietitian and Licensed Professional Counselor. Wednesday March 27, 8:00 PM at the home of the Fine family, 707 Stonington Rd. RSVP to email@example.com or learn more at www.sulam.org/events
Join The Golden Network's Caregiver Support Group's first session on Sunday, March 31, 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM at Kemp Mill Synagogue. This group is geared towards Jewish women whose spouses are living at home or are in a medical facility and are affected by a chronic illness or a cognitive condition. For more information or if you plan to attend please contact: Mrs. Hedy Peyser, MSW, firstname.lastname@example.org Mrs. Esther Dziadek email@example.com or Rabbi Shmuel Leigh 301-732-1773 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Linda Kahan, A"H, Memorial Lecture and Breakfast – Join Sulam on Sunday, April 7 at 10:00 AM in the Berman Hebrew Academy Cafeteria. Lecture topic will be "Translating the Bible", presented by Adele Berlin, Professor Emerita of Biblical Studies at the Univ. of MD. $36 couvert. Sponsorships available. RSVP: www.sulam.org/events or email email@example.com
The Q – Join Greater Washington NCSY Cheryl Stern Memorial Scholarship Fund on Sunday, April 7, 7:00 PM at B'nai Israel Congregation, 6301 Montrose Rd., Rockville, MD, to celebrate and support the teens of Greater Washington NCSY! "The Q" is an interactive multimedia, team based trivia game. Please RSVP today at atsncsy.org/theq or by calling 410-358-6279 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nazir. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more info, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daf Yomi Shiur meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before the YISE late Mincha.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Community Programs and Listings (continued)
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services or to volunteer.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday March 17 Monday March 18 Tuesday March 19 Wed., March 20 Taanis Esther Thursday, Mar. 21 Purim Friday, March 22 Shushan Purim
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:00, 6:30, 7:00, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Ashkenazi 7:05 7:05 7:05 2:00, 6:40 / 7:50 2:00,5:30/8:00,9:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:00 7:00 7:00 7:00 2:00 / 9:00
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:25 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 10:11 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:47 PM
March 22 – 23, 2019 – 16 Adar II 5779
Light Candles by 7:03 – Havdalah 8:03
* Light Candles by 7:03
Ashkenazi: 7:05 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:00 Sephardi: 6:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:03
Friday, March 15 Ruach Minyan, 7:00 PM, Social Hall
Sunday, March 17 Purim Carnival, 10:00 AM at KMS
Thursday, March 21 Purim Seuda, 5:00 PM
Sunday, March 24 Dispelling the Myths of Autism, 10:30 AM
Sunday, March 24 Raising a Jewish Child, 8:00 PM
Tuesday, March 26 YISE Board of Directors Meeting, 8:00 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, March 20 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Hours: Monday – Wednesday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Closed Thursday; Friday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager