Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
March 16 – 17, 2018 – 1 Nissan 5778 – Parshas Vayikra, Rosh Chodesh, Parshas HaChodesh
Light Candles by 6:58 – Havdalah 7:57
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Jack Calman on the 45th yahrtzeit of his dear father, Irwin Calman Z"L.
* Jacqueline & Rabbi Haim Arzouan on the birth of a granddaughter to Shoshana & Josh Suchoff.
* Leah Covel, Erica & Barry Kolatch, and Jim Covel on the birth of a grandson born to their children Shoshana & Eliezer Kolatch of Teaneck, NJ.
* Sheila & Allen Gaisin on the engagement of their granddaughter, Shalva Liba Adler, daughter of Dr. Miriam & Rabbi Elchanan Adler of Passaic, NJ, to Netanel Twersky, son of Rebbetzin Faige & Rav Mayer Twersky of Riverdale, NY. Mazal Tov also to Aunt Shera & Uncle Reuven, and Uncles Jeremy and Shlomo.
* Stella Levy on the engagement of her daughter, Ariel Kirsch, to Pinny Trachtenberg, son of Carol and Teddy Trachtenberg of Far Rockaway, NY.
* Hedy & Rabbi Paul Peyser on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson Jake, son of Sherry & Uri Peyser of West Hempstead, NY.
* Marina & Gregory Shmunis on the birth of a granddaughter, Adina, born to Shira & Misha Shmunis of Boston, MA.
* Lew Sosnowik on the birth of a great granddaughter, Erin (Chana Irit), born to Esther & Brian Linder of Plainview, NY.
* Sylvia Dorfman and Berel Dorfman on the passing of their husband and father, Julius Dorfman. The funeral took place on Friday. Shiva is being observed at 11220 Bybee St. through Thursday morning. Shacharis Sunday 8:00, Monday/Thursday 6:45, Tuesday/Wednesday 7:00. Mincha/Maariv Sunday * Wednesday 7:05. The family requests no visitors between 12 Noon & 1:00 PM, between 5:00 PM & 6:00 PM, or after 9:00 PM.
* Light Candles by 6:58
Ashkenazi: 7:00 Sephardi: 6:55 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 6:55 Sephardi: 6:35 Nusach Sefard: 6:55
* Maariv/Havdalah: 7:57
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – Benjamin & Ilana Eastman in honor of the first birthday of their daughter, Miriam Doba.
* Sephardi Minyan – Cheryl & Michael Gabai in honor of Shabbat Chatan for their son, Shmuel, on his Marriage to Aviva Lombardo; and Shoshana & Josh Suchoff on the birth of a new baby girl.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – "The 9:15 Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – will resume after Pesach.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 6:05 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self- improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash – will resume April 15.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash will resume April 10. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash – will resume April 11.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony will resume April 11.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Thirteen Attributes with Rabbi Moshe Sadwin
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 7:00 AM – 7:45 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for Men and Women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? We Can Appreciate Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Bava Basra, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM in the Social Hall.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays, 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at email@example.com or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: Parsha Analysis with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Tuesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Wednesday: Reading Responsa with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Haggadah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Women (class located in the Small Social Hall):
* Monday: Horeb: The Power of Mitzvos with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter
YISE Programs and Listings
We welcome new members who were voted in at the last Board meeting: Leah & Harvey Paretzky
Shmurah Matzah * Order deadline was Friday at 12 noon. Pickup at YISE, Monday March 19 & Tuesday March 20, 7:30 PM – 9:30 PM. Contact the YISE office if you have any questions about your order.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Pre-Pesach Halacha Review Shiur * Tuesday, March 20, 8:00 PM in the Belonofsky Sanctuary.
Mechiras Chometz * Rabbi Rosenbaum will be available for
Mechiras Chometz at the following locations & times this week:
* Monday, March 19 – after Mincha/Maariv
* Tuesday, March 20 – after 6:55 Shacharis
* Tuesday, March 20 – after pre-Pesach class, approximately 9:15 PM
* Wednesday, March 21 * 12 Noon, Beis Medrash
* Thursday, March 22 – after Mincha/Maariv
* Friday, March 23 – after 6:55 Shacharis
Shul members should feel free to contact Rabbi Rosenbaum at 301-593-4465, ext. 405 to make alternative arrangements if none of the above days and times are convenient.
Cleaning Supplies Drive – Do an easy Mitzvah before Pesach and donate cleaning supplies to A Wider Circle. Just drop off any UNOPENED cleaning supplies at: 903 Holborn St. (box on porch), YISE, KMS, Berman (boxes in lobby), or Shalom Kosher (box located across from registers). Items urgently needed: laundry and dish detergent, all soaps, paper towels, sponges, and any cleansers such as Windex, 409, Endust, Mr. Clean, etc. Cosponsored by YISE, KMS, Berman Hebrew Academy PTO, and Shalom Kosher. Drive will take place through March 19. For questions please contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Senior Lunch – Wednesday, March 21, 12:00 Noon, Social Hall. Rabbi Marvin Goldman, "Passover in the Light of Medieval Manuscripts"
NEXT SHABBOS: Ruach Minyan – Friday night in the Large Social Hall at 7:00 sharp. So bring the entire family and invite your friends. It's going to be Gevaldic!
Pre-Pesach Food Drive – Annual Pre-Pesach Food Drive (Chometz Begone), now in its 16th year, runs through Monday, March 26. Donations go to the Capital Kosher Pantry, which serves hundreds of Jewish individuals and families in our communities. Please bring unopened and non-perishable cans and boxes of food to designated containers in the area, including the YISE Arcola Lower Lobby. Every little bit helps!
Save the date! YISE Annual Banquet – Sunday, June 10
Honoring: Miriam & Steven Friedman.
Community Service Award: Carol & Tuvia Lazar.
Youth Honorees: Edan Friedman, Talya Miller & Noach Solomson.
We look forward to seeing you there!
Yom HaShoah v'Hagvurah Program featuring Magda Weisz Rosenbaum. Sunday, April 15, 7:30 PM at KMS. Mincha at 7:10 PM, Maariv after the program. Co-sponsored by YISE, KMS, Berman Hebrew Academy and Yeshiva of Greater Washington. Sign language interpreter available, sponsored by Sulam, Inc. If interested, please notify Debbie Katz at email@example.com by March 29.
Camp Shomrai is back for another great summer! 7-week program Monday, June 25th – Friday, August 10th. Register online at http://campshomrai.campapplications.com For more information contact Sarah Dollman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Membership Directory – The 2018 YISE Membership Directory will be updated soon. Send updated information to email@example.com
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com If you are unable to cook a meal or help out, but would like to make a donation to Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, please contact Simi Franco in the office.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth room behind the Balcony
1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva.
Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby/Boys meet outside the Social Hall
Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Family Laser Tag – Wednesday April 4 (Chol Hamoed) 2:00 PM at Shadowland, 624 Quince Orchard Rd., Gaithersburg, MD. $12.50 per game for 2 games. RSVP by March 26 to firstname.lastname@example.org Space is limited to 80 participants.
Lag Ba'Omer Climbing & Bonfire – Thursday May 3, 5:00 PM – 9:00 PM at The Adventure Park at Sandy Spring. $34 per person. RSVP to email@example.com with names & birth dates and pay YISE by check by April 18.
The Eighth Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer ZT"L
The Siyum will take place on Shabbos Tazria-Metzora, April 21. About 50% of the sections of Tanach have been claimed. We need YOUR help to finish the rest. To register for a particular section visit www.yise.org/siyum or call Bob Levi at 301-593-2399.
YISE Facility Updates – Painting and other renovation work is being done in the Belonofsky Sanctuary and lobby this week. Details including Minyan moves will be sent via email and posted at Shul.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nedarim. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301- 996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy¡¦s Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy¡¦s Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Rabbi Marvin Goldman¡¦s Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, March 17, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 906, at 4:00 PM.
Pirchei is coming! Calling all boys, 1st * 6th grade! Pirchei is starting this week, Parshas Vayikra, March 17, in the classrooms at the Yeshiva, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. See you there! To join our email list, contact Ranon Cortell or Pinchas Werner at firstname.lastname@example.org
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, March 21, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Laura Warshawsky at email@example.com for more information.
Pre-Pesach Boutique * Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington Pre-Pesach Boutique at YISE, Sunday, March 18, 10:00 AM * 4:00 PM. Hats, jewelry, serving accessories, clothing, hair accessories, makeup, sheitels, pottery and more. Raffle and light refreshments. For more info. contact Rhonda Lehman at 301-351-1725 or firstname.lastname@example.org
DC Lunch & Learn – "Selling Guns: Arms Control in Jewish Law" with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman. Monday, March 19, 12 Noon – 12:45 PM at Morgan Lewis. Complimentary lunch served, RSVP required to email@example.com. See flyer at www.gwckollel.org for more info.
Zichron Menachem Hair Drive -MJBHA will be sponsoring the annual hair donation drive on Thursday, May 3, Lag Ba¡¦omer, at Style Salon and again the day after Shavuos, Tuesday, May 22, at Progressions Salon. All cuts are free and each donor receives a special gift from the coordinator and a certificate from Zichron Menachem. To sign up, email firstname.lastname@example.org with "hair" in the Subject line. Nancy Mehlman will contact you to set up an appointment on your preferred day and time.
Maos Chitim – Let All Who Are Hungry Come and Eat – Help local families and individuals, struggling to make ends meet:
* YISE Charity Fund – People who would like Rabbi Rosenbaum to distribute Tzedakah for Pesach on their behalf can give cash or checks made out to YISE Charity Fund to him (also at Mechiras Chometz) or drop off at the YISE office. Please do not mail donations.
* The Franco Foundation continues to assist those in need. Donations will be distributed before and during Pesach. Send your tax-deductible donation c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through PayPal at email@example.com
* Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington which assists individuals and families year-round in our region. To donate, click on the Maos Chitim banner at www.yadyehuda.org
Passover Car Cleaning to benefit MES – Shine My Ride by Empire – shinemyride.com is offering special pricing on car detailing from March 11 – 23, with a portion of the proceeds to benefit the Mikvah Emunah Society. Interior Spruce: $35 – $55; Deluxe Interior Detail $100 – $155; child car seat $20 each. Service at 5006 Howard Ave. Beltsville, MD or mobile service (2 car minimum for Interior Spruce) available. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 240-965-6095 to make an appointment. For more info. contact Rhonda Lehman email@example.com or call 301-351-1725.
The Week Ahead
Sunday March 18 Monday March 19 Tuesday March 20 Wednesday March 21 Thursday March 22 Friday March 23
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:00 6:10 6:10 6:00 6:10
Ashkenazi 7:05 7:05 7:05 7:05 7:05 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:00 7:00 7:00 7:00 7:00
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:23 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 10:10 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:47 PM
March 23 – 24, 2018 – 8 Nissan 5778
Parshas Tzav, Shabbos HaGadol
Light Candles by 7:05 – Havdalah 8:04
* Light Candles by 7:05
Ashkenazi: 7:05 Ruach 7:00 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 6:35 Sephardi: 6:35 Nusach Sefard: 6:35
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:04
Monday, March 19 Basic Colors, 2:00 PM – 6:30 PM
Monday, March 19 & Tuesday, March 20 Matzah Pickup, 7:30 PM – 9:30 PM
Tuesday, March 20 Pre-Pesach Shiur, 8:00 PM, Belonofsky Sanctuary
Wednesday, March 21 Senior Lunch, 12:00 Noon, Social Hall
Friday, March 23 Ruach Minyan, 7:00 PM, Social Hall
Shabbos, March 24 Bar Mitzvah of Yosef Drang, 8:45 Main Minyan
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, March 21 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager