Download the March 15-16 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
March 15-16, 2013 – 5 Nissan 5773 – Parshas Vayikra
Light Candles by 6:57 – Havdalah 7:56
* Light Candles by 6:57
* Mincha 6:55 (Sephardi), 7:00 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 6:40 (Sephardi), 6:55
* Maariv/Havdalah 7:56
* 8:45 Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Barry Greengart
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Nancy & Pesach Mehlman in honor of the Bar Mitzvah of their son, Moshe Dovid.
* R' Pinchas Werner – Shiur at 8:15 AM.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur will resume sometime after Pesach.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 5:55 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 6:25 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* R' Moshe Kasser – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement) will resume after Pesach, on April 7.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM-6:45 AM, Arcola Social Hall.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, will resume after Pesach on April 10.
* Zichron Gedaliah Bais Medrash for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall, will resume after Pesach on April 9.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesday evenings at University Blvd. will resume after Pesach.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Join us as we continue the exciting topic of "Lifnei Ivar: Causing others harm or to sin." Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster independent Gemara proficiency will resume after Pesach.
SAVE THE DATE AND MARK YOUR CALENDAR NOW!
YISE Annual Banquet, Sunday, April 14, 2013.
Honorees: Laurie & Stuart Cohen.
Young Leadership: Allison & Louis Lazar
Youth Honorees: Aryeh Broth, Ayala Harris, Tova Kwiat, Devorah Mehlman, Yehudah Mehlman, Yehudah Rudack, Esther Widitor.
Ad Blank forms for the Shul Annual Banquet were mailed this week. Please submit your ad and greeting as soon possible before packing and cleaning for Pesach. Remember the Banquet and the Journal are major fundraisers for the Shul. Invitations will be mailed shortly.
Like YISE on Facebook:
* Rebbetzin Yocheved Anemer on the Bar Mitzvah of her grandson, Moshe Zev, son of Mr. & Mrs. Ephraim Weber of Brooklyn .
* Florence & Joel Avigan on the birth of a great-granddaughter and to Vicki & Jay Pollack on the birth of a granddaughter, Esther Chana, to their children, Shana & Noam Feldman. Mazal Tov to the siblings Rachel & Avi Binstock, Dovid Binstock, Sara & Melvin Pollack, Debbie, Dave and Yonasan Zakar, Isaac, Holly, Nisa and Esra Pollack.
* Nancy & Pesach Mehlman on the Bar Mitzvah of their son, Moshe Dovid. Mazal Tov to his siblings Shlomo, Rivka & Tani Friedman, and Yoni; grandfathers Menache Israel and Jack Mehlman and his niece, aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Judy & Louis Morris on the birth of a grandson, Yaakov Yehoshua, to their children, Rebecca & Yitzchak Lefkowitz of North Miami Beach. Mazal Tov also on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson, Reuven, son of Shelley & Michael Morris of Baltimore.
YISE Programs and Listings
Pesach Seder Preparations – Join Rabbi Rosenbaum as he reviews Halachos and Insights of the Seder as part of the "Together for 5" Audio Shiur Program, March 4 – 22. More information can be found on the new Shiurim link on yise.org. Nearly 200 subscribers and still growing.
Rabbi Rosenbaum will be available for the sale of Chometz at the following locations and times: Sunday, March 17 – University after 8:00 Shacharis; Monday, March 18 – Arcola after Mincha/Maariv; Tuesday, March 19 – Arcola after 6:55 Shacharis; Wednesday, March 20 – Noon, Arcola Beis Medrah; Thursday, March 21 – Arcola after Mincha/Maariv; Friday, March 22 – Arcola after 6:55 Shacharis; Or call Rabbi Rosenbaum to make arrangements to sell your chometz.
YISE Social Committee Annual Pre-Pesach Meals – Join us for a delicious meal (or two!) without worrying about cooking right before Pesach! Next Shabbos, March 22 (dinner) & 23 (lunch). Pricing for each meal: Adult Members: $16, Adult Non-members: $18, Children (3 to 7): $9, Children under 3: free. Sponsorships: $60 (includes 2 adult reservations). Maximum Family Rate $72. Reservations are limited, so please reserve early. YISE office will not be accepting reservations.
To reserve, visit www.yise.org/prepesach or:
* Friday Night Dinner: Drop-off or mail checks, with number attending, to Josh Breitstein, 1215 North Belgrade Road. Please make checks payable to YISE with "Pre-Pesach Dinner" on memo line.For questions, contact Josh at email@example.com or 301-346-7838.
* Shabbos Lunch: Drop-off or mail checks, with number attending, to Rona Lerner, 603 Hyde Road. Please make checks payable to YISE with "Pre-Pesach Lunch" on memo line. For questions, contact Rona at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-681-5544.
* A group of individuals in the community have expressed great interest that all feel comfortable attending this event, and none be inhibited by cost. Therefore, all are welcome to RSVP for the LUNCH free of charge. Anyone who feels able to donate the suggested amount or a portion thereof is encouraged to do so. Additional sponsors are still welcome.
Reservations will be confirmed once payment is received. All payments must be received by Monday, March 18.
Hachnosas Orchim – Persons looking for a Seder or looking for guests for their Seder should contact the YISE office, 301-593-4465, ext 402.
Maos Chitim – Those interested in contributing to help those with financial difficulties cover the expenses of Pesach, are welcome to give their contributions to Rabbi Rosenbaum at one of the Mechiras Chometz times. The primary recipients of the funds will be those in the community.
YISE Shmurah Matzah Fundraiser – The ordering deadline was Thursday, March 14. Matzah may be picked up on Tuesday, March 19, or Wednesday, March 20, from 7:00 PM to 9:30 PM in the Arcola Social Hall.
The Third Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer ZT"L will be held at a Seudat Shlishit on Shabbos, April 13, Parshas Tazria-Metzorah. As of Thursday, March 14, only 16 sections are left. To register for a particular section visit www.yise.org/siyum or contact Bob Levi at 301-593-2399.
Nominations Sought – The YISE Nominating Committee will be considering candidates for board positions in the coming weeks. To submit the name of someone who is willing to participate actively on the board, please contact Stuart Rosenthal at email@example.com or 301-980-9557 before Pesach.
Food Drive Meets Great Need – The 10th Pesach Chometz Riddance Food drive, which runs from February 24 to March 21, collects donations for the Capital Area Food Bank. Please bring your donations to a bin outside the Arcola Social Hall or at University Boulevard.
The Annual Yom Hashoah Program at YISE – Monday, April 8, 7:30 PM. This year's featured speaker, Susan Taube, was born in pre-WWII Germany. Following Kristallnacht, Susan, her mother and her sister were subjected to harsh forced labor, first in Germany and then in Latvia. Only Susan survived. After liberation by the Soviets in 1945, she married Herman Taube with whom she emigrated and raised a family in Baltimore. Children grade 5 and older are encouraged to attend. Please join us for this important commemoration.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com or pick up a form in the lobby.
Job Assist Events:
* 2-Day Job Search Boot Camp – Covers networking, resumes, interviewing, and more. Highly recommended. Wednesday-Thursday, April 10-11, 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM. Free (normally $50). 200 Wood Hill Road, Rockville. Info. and register at www.jssa.org.
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade meet in the Small Beis Medrash; Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10 AM-11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Many of our community members receive their income, whether directly or indirectly, from the federal government. The Pesach season involves a certain amount of financial stress when all things are going as expected. The government sequester, particularly at this time of year, creates great concern. I would urge anyone affected by economic concerns, be they short-term or long-term, to contact me. I can be reached at rdrosenbaum@ yise.org or 301-593-4465, ext. 405. All conversations will bekept in the strictest confidence.
Sincerely, Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum
Community Programs and Listings
Snif this week will be from 4:30 PM until 5:45 PM at KMS. Walking groups will leave YISE at 4:00 PM. Exciting news: Chanichim Shabbaton will be on April 13-14.
YGW Boys Senior Class Pre-Pesach Car Wash – Sunday, March 17, 12:15 PM – 2:00 PM at the YGW Boys Campus, 1216 Arcola Avenue. Cost: Interior: Car – $25, Minivan – $35, Van – $45. Exterior-Only: $5 additional or $15 for exterior only. To guarantee your car will be cleaned, please arrive by 1:00 PM.
Let All Who Are Hungry Come and Eat – Help local families and individuals, struggling to make ends meet. Two local foundations welcome your donations for Pesach:
* The Franco Foundation, Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through paypal at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* The Yehuda Mond Foundation, online, at yehudamondfoundation.org; by mailing a check to 812 Hyde Court, or by calling 443-539-1465. Please mark your checks for, "Maos Chittim."
The Tehillim for Shidduchim Group – will be said AT HOME for the next four Sundays due to Pesach (or rather Pesach cleaning!). Tehillim books are being given out for people to say for this Sunday, March 17 before noon. To get your Perakim assigned to say at home, please call Tami Isaacs at 301-754-3666.
Greater Washington Community Kollel – Rabbi Kalman Winter ZT"L Legacy Dinner, May 5 at Beth Shalom. Visit www.gwckollel.org for more information, to place an ad, or to make a reservation.
Do the Mitzvah of Bikur Cholim! Visit people in Kemp Mill who would greatly appreciate it. Community Service points may be earned as well. For more information, please contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, March 17 Monday, March 18 Tuesday, March 19 Wednesday, March 20 Thursday, March 21 Friday, March 22
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 6:15 6:30 6:30 6:15 6:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 7:05 7:05 7:05 7:05 7:05 See Shabbos Schedule
University 7:05 7:05 7:05 7:05 7:05
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:24 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 10:10 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:47 PM
March 22-23, 2013 – 12 Nissan 5773
Parshas Tzav / Shabbos HaGadol
Light Candles by 7:04 – Havdalah 8:04
* Light Candles by 7:04
* Mincha 7:00 (Sephardi), 7:05 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 6:15 (Sephardi), 6:10 (Univ.), 6:30 (Arcola)
* Maariv/Havdalah 8:04
Shabbos, March 16 Bar Mitzvah of Moshe Dovid Mehlman
Tuesday, March 19 Elzee's, 11:00 AM to 9:00 PM, Arcola
Wednesday, March 20 Senior Lunch, 12:00 Noon, Arcola
Shabbos, March 22 & 23 YISE Pre-Pesach Shabbos Meals
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, March 20, at 12 noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday thru Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM and Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director