Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
January 6-7, 2017 – 9 Teves 5777 – Parshas Vayigash
Light Candles by 4:43 – Havdalah 5:46
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387.
* Arlene Groner and Jonathan Groner on the engagement of their daughter, Sarah, to Lior Benisty, son of Lilian & Yosef Benisty of Hadera, Israel.
* Sherrie & Zev Zalman Ludwick on the birth of a granddaughter, born to their daughter-in-law and son, Miriam Bayla & Adam Paisley, of Baltimore.
* Rena & Yoni Schwarz on the birth of a baby girl.
* Lilly & Robert Zak on the birth of a son. Mazal Tov to grandparents Shimon Fuchs of Cleveland, OH and Elsie Zak of Lawrence, NY. The Shalom Zachor will IY"H be held at their house 11247 Watermill Lane at 8:15 PM. The Bris will IY"H be held on Sunday morning after the 8:45 AM Minyan at YISE.
* Gregory Shmunis on the loss of his father, Mordko Shmunis. The funeral took place on Wednesday. Shiva will be observed at the Shmunis home, 800 Kersey Road, through Tuesday morning. The Minyan schedule is as follows: Shacharis: Sunday: 8:00, Monday: 7:15, Tuesday: 7:30. Mincha/Maariv: Sunday (Asara B'Teves): 4:25, Monday: 4:45.
* Rosalie Handwerger on the passing of her husband, Stanley Handwerger. The funeral took place on Thursday. Shiva will be observed at the home of Kenneth Handwerger, 11504 Daffodil Lane, through Wednesday morning. The Minyan schedule is as follows: Shacharis: Sunday: 7:45, Monday: 6:45, Tuesday and Wednesday: 7:00. Mincha/Maariv: Sunday (Asara B'Teves): 4:35, Monday and Tuesday: 4:45.
* Light Candles by 4:43
Arcola: 4:45 University: 4:45 Sephardi: 4:40 Nusach Sefard: 4:45
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 9:15 Minyan will meet in the Boys Yeshiva.
Arcola: 2:30, 4:40 University: 4:40 Sephardi: 4:20 Nusach Sefard: 4:40
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:46
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 and 9:15 Minyanim Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Larry Korb, Arnie Sherman, Dr. Marc Katz, Michael Hourwitz and Chaim Neustadter in memory of their parents: the 5th Yahrtzeit of Minnie Korb, Minah Shifrah Bas Yisrael; the 6th Yahrtzeit of Racie Sherman, Rivka Bas Yosef Yona; Gerrie Katz, Chana Pesel Bas Dovid; and Albert Hourwitz, Avraham Mordechai Ben Yitzchak HaLevi; and the 23rd Yahrtzeit of Goldie Neustadter, Sara Golda Bas Harav Chaim Eliezer Altar; Dr. Howie and Karen Shulman in memory of: the 33nd Yahrtzeit of Howie's mother Florence Shulman, Faige Bas Yeshaiyah Baer and the 15th Yahrtzeit of Sherrie Shulman, Sahra Leah Bas Avraham Dov.
* Sephardi Minyan – Sammy & Naomi Bitton in memory of Sammy's father Mordechai Ben Masud.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – Matthew Solomson in honor of his new book, Court of Federal Claims.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 3:40 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 3:45 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Barry Greengart – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony – will resume on January 29.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony – will not meet on Friday.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Explorations for Men and Women. This week we will be discussing The Yissachar- Zevulun Relationship. Hosted by the Magendzo Family, 11617 Yeatman Terrace. Refreshments provided by the hosts. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Before we Begin with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Levy's Shiur for Women on The Value of Modesty – based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM in the Large Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:15 AM – 11:00 AM.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? We Can Appreciate Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at email@example.com or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: 613 with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Tuesday: In The Beginning with Rabbi Zacharia Schwartz.
* Wednesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Inspired Avodah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher, Kollel Zichron Amram and Rebbe, YGW
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Women (class located in the Small Social Hall):
* Monday: Women of Valor with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter.
YISE Programs and Listings
How to Talk so Kids will Listen and Listen so Kids will Talk – YISE Shomrai Nursery Parenting Series. A six session workshop to help parents develop life long, close, communicative relationships with their children. Facilitated by Judy Rosenthal, parent educator and consultant, who has worked with parents of young children for over 10 years. 6 sessions beginning January 8. At the home of Judy Rosenthal. Cost: $100 per person / $120 per couple. (Includes: A copy of "How to Talk so Kids will Listen, And Listen so Kids will Talk" by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish, and class materials). To Register: contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-593-7365.
Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Next Motzei Shabbos, January 14, 7:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun!
Rabbi's Vacation – Rabbi Rosenbaum will be on vacation from Thursday, January 12 through Sunday, January 22. Shaalos can be addressed to Rabbi Silver, 917-363-5840. Anyone who needs to speak with Rabbi Rosenbaum regarding an urgent matter can call the shul office, 301-593-4465, and Rabbi Rosenbaum will be contacted.
Ruach Minyan – Hold the date for the next Ruach Minyan at YISE, Friday, January 20, 5:00 PM in the Arcola Social Hall. There will be a special children's story telling program. So bring the family and invite your friends. It's going to be Gevaldic! For more information contact: email@example.com
Clothing Drive – Sunday, January 22, 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM, at KMS, cosponsored by YISE and KMS to benefit CHANA, an organization providing support to abuse victims. Drop off gently used clothing, coats, shoes, linens, purses, and stuffed animals (no toys.) at 903 Holborn Street through January 22 until 10:30 AM. After that bring items to KMS from 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM sharp on January 22. To volunteer to help or for more information, please contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Understanding our Good Fortune – Get each day off to a better start by attending a class on the meaning of Ashrei and a general perspective and Halachic review of Pesukei Dezimrah. Join Rabbi Rosenbaum on three consecutive Tuesday evenings, 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM, starting January 24, in the Belonofsky Sanctuary. Part of the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project.
SAVE THE DATE: Join the Greater Washington Community Kollel and YISE for an Inspirational Shabbos – Shabbos, February 3-4. Thought provoking lectures led by Kollel Scholars of the Greater Washington Community Kollel. Inspiring Tefillos and Zemiros by special guest Baal Tefillah and singer, Simcha Leiner. Elegant catered Friday night family dinner (adult: $22, children (3-7): $12, children under 3: free) with free babysitting available during the dinner available.To make dinner reservations, please contact Simi Franco at 301-593-4465 x403 or 301-346-8752 or email@example.com For more information contact Rosh Kollel Rabbi Menachem Winter at 301-213-6504 or firstname.lastname@example.org Sponsorship opportunities available. Please make checks payable to Greater Washington Community Kollel.
YISE Rediscovered Art Auction is scheduled for May. Please ask friends & relatives if they have any artwork to donate. When you travel and visit with family and friends, we hope you will remember to ask for art! For information, contact Auction Chairs Sammy Franco 301-649-1755 or Elaine Rubin 301-681-4000.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org If you are unable to cook a meal or help out, but would like to make a donation to Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, please contact Simi Franco in the office.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Like YISE on Facebook: facebook.com/YIShomraiEmunah
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Social Hall, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30-10:00. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Seuda, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:40 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or email@example.com
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Kesuvos. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Parsha Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, December 31, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 316, at 3:00 PM.
Bnei Akiva Snif this week for 3rd – 6th graders at KMS 1 hour before KMS Mincha. Walking groups leave YISE 20 min prior to the start of Snif (80 minutes before KMS Mincha).
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, January 11, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. This week is our special Open House – "Bring a Friend" night. Start the New Year with Kemp Mill Toastmasters and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Behind the Scenes in the Knesset: My Life in Israel – An Evening with Rabbi Dov Lipman. Presented by Nefesh B'Nefesh and Beth Israel Congregation. Rabbi Dov Lipman was elected to the 19th Knesset in 2013, becoming the first US-born MK in 30 years. Rabbi Lipman will share his journey from new Oleh to active player on the Israeli political scene. Join us for an inspiring night of anecdotes and first-hand reflections. Thursday, January 12 at 8:00 PM, at the Bender JCC of Greater Washington. For more information and registration: www.NBN.org.il/lipman-maryland
Workplace Skills Workshops:
* Federal Jobs – Three free webinars–overview, networking, and interviewing. Monday, January 9. Info and register at http://federaljobresults.com/events.htm
* How to Run an Effective Meeting – Free workshop by Scott Schlesinger. Tuesday, January 17, 7:30 PM to 9:00 PM. YISE Small Social Hall. To reserve a seat, please email DMarwick@JobAssist.org
* Resumes/Cover Letters – Free webinar on private-sector best practices. Wednesday, January 18, 8:00 PM – 8:30 PM. Info and register at http://federaljobresults.com/events.htm
Camp Shoresh Open House – Sunday, January 15, 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM at 2428 Pleasant View Road, Adamstown, MD 21710. For questions or to RSVP for the Open House, 410-358-8571 or email@example.com or visit www.shoresh.com
An Evening of Magic – Please join Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington for an adult evening of smiles and fun as we dedicate the BCGW Smilemakers Program in memory of Rabbi Yosef Samberg A"H. Sunday, January 29 at 7:30 PM at YISE. Elegant desserts and entertainment by magician Benjamin Nemzer. $36 per person.Sponsorship opportunities are available. For more information contact BCGW at 202-331-4481 or firstname.lastname@example.org
A Dinner of Possibilities – Berman Upper School students invite you to experience their talents and culinary abilities. Sunday, January 29 at Berman. Reception at 5:30 PM followed by seated dinner at 6:30 PM. All proceeds support student activities. Please RSVP on the Berman website: http://www.mjbha.org/Support/Dinner_of_Your_Dreams_RSVP.cfm
GWCK Men's VIP Trip to Lakewood – An amazing day of learning and inspiration! Sunday, February 12. Learn together with hundreds of Kollel Scholars, hear words of inspiration from the Rosh Hayeshiva, enjoy a private lunch with Rabbi Aaron Kotler, President of BMG Yeshiva, and much more! Trip cost: $85. Includes transportation, breakfast, lunch, and an elegant dinner. Reservations required. Spaces limited. To RSVP or for more information contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at (513) 313-4899; email@example.com
Mikvah Emunah Society Appeal – It's time to renew your Mikvah membership. And if you're not a member – please join the important work of the Mikvah Emunah Society. Your membership donation of $360 or above helps us sustain our facilities, create educational programs, allows your family to use the Mikvah with no usage fee for 2017 and is tax-deductible. Please respond with a contribution today by sending your check (made payable to Mikvah Emunah Society of Greater Washington) to MES, P.O. Box 1714, Silver Spring, MD 20915 or online contributions can be made at www.mikvahemunah.com
Fast of Asara B'Teves
Sunday, January 8
* Fast Begins 6:02
* Early Mincha 1:00 (Arcola)
* Mincha 4:25 (Arcola)
* Maariv 5:20 (Arcola)
* Fast Ends 5:47
The Week Ahead
Sunday, Jan. 8 – Asara B'Teves Monday, January 9 Tuesday, January 10 Wednesday, January 11 Thursday, January 12 Friday, January 13
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:10 7:15 7:15 7:10 7:15
Arcola 1:00, 4:25 / 5:20 4:50 / 7:30 4:50 / 7:30 4:50 / 7:30 4:50 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 4:40 4:45 4:45 4:45 4:45
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:30 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:51 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:48 PM
January 13-14, 2017 – 16 Teves 5777
Light Candles by 4:50 – Havdalah 5:53
* Light Candles by 4:50
Arcola: 4:50 University: 4:50 Sephardi: 4:45 Nusach Sefard: 4:50
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 4:45 University: 4:45 Sephardi: 4:25 Nusach Sefard: 4:45
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:53
Wednesday, January 11 YISE Board of Directors Meeting, 7:30 PM, Small Beis Medrash
Motzei Shabbos, Jan. 14 Dor L'Dor, 7:00 PM, YISE Social Hall
Friday, January 20 Ruach Minyan, 5:00 PM, YISE Social Hall
Sunday, January 22 Joint YISE/KMS Clothing Drive, 11:00 AM -2:00 PM at KMS
Shabbos, February 3-4 An Inspirational Shabbos with GWCK, featuring Simcha Leiner
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, January 11 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager