Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
December 22-23, 2017 – 5 Teves 5778 – Parshas Vayigash
Light Candles by 4:31 – Havdalah 5:35
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387.
* David Abrams on the engagement of his grandson, Adin Kanefsky, to Amanda Weiner, both of Givat Shmuel, son of Sari Abrams & Yosef Kanefsky of Los Angeles.
* Yocheved & Rabbi Haim Arzouan on the birth of a great-grandson to Tal & Daniel Aghbashoff, son of their daughter Aviva & Eilan, of Kew Gardens Hills, NY.
* Rosanne & Howard Benn on the Bat Mitzvah of their twin granddaughters, Natalia & Avigail Katz of Bet Shemesh. Mazal Tov to the parents, Jenny & Ozer Katz and to grandparents Carol & Judge Erwin Katz.
* Sheila & Allen Gaisin on the engagement of their son Shlomo to Esther Holder, daughter of Dr.& Mrs. Jay Holder of Miami Beach, Florida. Mazal Tov to Jeremy Gaisin on the engagement of his brother and to Shera & Reuven Gaisin and family on the engagement of their brother and uncle and to Shlomo's other siblings, nieces and nephews, and to the entire extended family.
* Lois & Sid Meyers on the marriage of their grandson Shimon Strauss, son of Jessica & Rabbi Yekusiel Strauss of Fallsburg, to Yehudis Rosenman, daughter of Tamar & Rabbi Avraham Yeshaya Rosenman of Monsey.
* Rachelli & Craig Simon on the birth of a son. Mazal Tov to big sisters, Bayla, Zahava, and Naomi, and to grandparents Nancy & Bruce James, and Maxine & Richard Simon. The Shalom Zachor will take place Friday night, come when you can, ending around 11 PM, at 918 Kenbrook Ct. The Bris will take place on Monday after the 7:35 AM Minyan.
* Adina & David Warshawsky on the birth of a son. Mazal Tov to big sister Shira and grandparents Laura & Mark Warshawsky and Elene & Meshullam Feigenbaum. The Shalom Zachor will take place Friday night at 7:30 PM at 416 Hillsboro Drive.
* Dr. Herman Efron on the passing of his brother, Rabbi Mordechai Avigdor Efron. The funeral took place on Sunday. Shiva was completed before Shabbos.
* Faith Ginsburg on the passing of her sister, Ann Rita Schwartz. The funeral took place on Sunday. Shiva was completed before Shabbos.
* Light Candles by 4:31
Ashkenazi: 4:35 Sephardi: 4:30 Nusach Sefard: 4:35
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:30 Sephardi: 4:10 Nusach Sefard: 4:30
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:35
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 and 9:15 Minyanim Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* Sephardi Minyan – Anonymous
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Gregory and Marina Shmunis in memory of Gregory's father, Mordko Shmunis.
* 9:15 Minyan – "The 9:15 Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 3:40 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony will not take place this week.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Thirteen Attributes with Rabbi Moshe Sadwin
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 7:00 AM – 7:45 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for Men and Women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? We Can Appreciate Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Meseches Bava Basra, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM in the Social Hall.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays, 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at email@example.com or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: Parsha Analysis with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Tuesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Wednesday: Reading Responsa with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Inspired Avodah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher.
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – will not meet this Monday
* Women (class located in the Small Social Hall):
* Monday: Horeb: The Power of Mitzvos with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter
YISE Programs and Listings
NEXT WEEK: Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Motzei Shabbos, December 30, 6:45 PM, Social Hall. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun! To sponsor this program, please contact Michael Shimoff at firstname.lastname@example.org
Ruach Minyan – There will be a Ruach Minyan in the Belonofsky Sanctuary next Friday night, Dec. 29 (Parshas Vayechi). There will be another Minyan downstairs for those who prefer an alternative.
YISE Office Communique – The end-of-year statements have been mailed out. The end of the calendar year is a good time to get in last minute tax deductions.
Taharat Hamishpacha Refresher Course for Married Women – Taught by Mrs. Sharon Freundel. Part 1: Sunday, January 7, 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM. Part 2: Sunday, February 11, 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM. YISE
SAVE THE DATE: Bug Checking Seminar – Hands-on presentation with Rabbi Sholom Tendler of the STAR-K. Wednesday, January 10, 8:00 PM ¡V 9:30 PM, YISE Social Hall. Thrip cloths available for $7. This program is open to men and women.
Clothing Drive – Sunday, January 28, 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM, at KMS, cosponsored by KMS and YISE to benefit CHANA, a Jewish response to domestic violence. Drop off gently used clothing, coats, shoes, linens, purses, and stuffed animals (no toys.) Volunteers are needed to help sort and to drive the clothing to Baltimore on Sunday after the drive. To volunteer or for more information, please contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com Get tax deduction receipts at the drive or email firstname.lastname@example.org
SAVE THE DATE: An Inspirational Shabbos ¡V GWCK, in conjunction with YISE, presents An Inspirational Shabbos: Connecting through Torah, Tefillah and Song. Shabbos Parshas
Yisro, February 2-3, 2018 at YISE.
* Thought-provoking lectures led by Kollel Scholars of the GWCK
* Elegant, enjoyable catered Friday Night family dinner
* Inspiring Tefillos and Zemiros by special guest Baal Tefillah and singer Rabbi Baruch Levine
Stay tuned for more information!
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT¡¨L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the Balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 yearolds runs from 9:30 AM – 10:00 AM. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Teacher's Assistants and Substitutes
Are you in college and looking for a part time job?
Are you looking for an exciting career in the field of Early Childhood Education or looking to return to work?
Shomrai Preschool is seeking a morning Assistant Teacher, Extended Care teachers (3-6PM Wed & Thur), and substitute teachers.
We are looking for someone who wants to be a part of a collaborative team of professionals who work together to ensure developmentally appropriate practice in a warm, nurturing and creative setting. The position requires a high school diploma, ECE 90 Hour Course with experience preferred. Candidate needs to be fingerprinted, pass a background check and be trained in CPR/First Aid.
Come learn about our school by visiting our website at http://nursery.yise.org/.
Please send cover letter and resume to the attention of Ruthie Cohen at email@example.com
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nedarim. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit www.dvarhalacha.com and click Sign Up.
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT¡¨L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, December 23 at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 516, at 3:00 PM.
Federal Holiday Learning Program ¡V Our Halachic rights to privacy in today's connected world. Monday, December 25, for men at the YGW Boys Campus. 9:00 ¡V 9:30 AM ¡V breakfast, 9:30 ¡V 10:40 AM ¡V Chavrusa learning, 10:40 ¡V 11:20 AM ¡V Shiur by Rabbi Michoel Frank. For more information, contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, December 27, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Kidney Appeal – A member of the local Jewish community has been diagnosed with a deteriorating kidney condition. A year ago, his doctors advised him that a transplant of a kidney from a living donor could restore his normal kidney function and extend his life. To date, no viable donor has been found. If you would consider helping save a life by donating a kidney, please contact Aron Trombka at 301-681-3025 or email@example.com for more information.
Free Job Search Webinars – Both on Monday, January 8:
* Cracking the Code to Your Federal Job Search, 8:00 PM to 8:30 PM
* Moving Forward in Your Career, 8:45 PM to 9:15 PM
Presented by Corliss Jackson. Register at www.FederalJobResults.com/events
Camp Chaverim – Registration is now open! Early Bird Special available until Dec. 31st. Dates for this summer: June 27- July 24. Three Divisions: Camper Division, Senior Division, CIT-Waiter Division. For more info. and to see our new camp video, visit our website at chaverimovernight.com or call 410-925-2257 or email Chaverim.firstname.lastname@example.org
Are you a Member of The Mikvah Emunah Society?
We know the Mitzvah of Taharat Hamishpacha (family purity) is private, but community support of the Mikvah is not! According to the Talmud, the importance of having a Mikvah ranks even higher in Jewish law than that of having a synagogue. (Megilla 27a) Please support the Mikvah Emunah Society in its important work by becoming a member in 2018.
Your membership donation of $360 or above allows you to use the Mikvah with no usage fee for 2018 and is tax-deductible. But more importantly, your membership contribution allows the Mikvah to remain an integral component of Jewish life and the Jewish community. Please respond today by sending a check to Mikvah Emunah Society of Greater Washington, P.O. Box 1714, Silver Spring, MD 20915, or contribute online at www.mikvahemunah.com/Membership
Your support is greatly needed and appreciated.
Fast of Asara B'Teves
Thursday, December 28
Fast Begins 6:00
Early Mincha 12:45
Fast Ends 5:38
The Week Ahead
Sunday, December 24 Monday, December 25 Tuesday, December 26 Wednesday, December 27 Thursday, Dec. 28 – Asara B'Teves Friday, December 29
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:20 6:20 6:20 6:20 6:20
Ashkenazi 4:40 4:40 4:40 / 7:30 4:40 / 7:30 12:45, 4:15 / 5:10 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 4:35 4:35 4:35 4:35 4:30
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:29 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:46 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:41 PM
December 29-30, 2017-12 Teves 5778
Light Candles by 4:36 – Havdalah 5:40
* Light Candles by 4:36
Ashkenazi: 4:40 Sephardi: 4:35 Nusach Sefard: 4:40
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:35 Sephardi: 4:15 Nusach Sefard: 4:35
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:40
Friday, December 29 Ruach Minyan, 4:40 PM, Belonofsky Sanctuary
Motzei Shabbos, Dec. 30 Dor L'Dor, 6:45 PM, Social Hall
Sunday, January 7 Taharat Hamishpacha Refresher Course for Married Women, 7:00 PM
Wednesday, January 10 Bug Checking Seminar, 8:00 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, December 27 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330 Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager