Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
December 14 – 15, 2018 – 7 Teves 5779 – Parshas Vayigash
Light Candles by 4:28 – Havdalah 5:31
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by the Wakschlag family to commemorate the Shloshim of Mrs. Sheva Wakschlag, A"H, and to thank the community for assisting with Shiva meals and support during this difficult time.
* Judith & Rabbi Marvin Goldman in honor of the Bat Mitzvah of their granddaughter, Libby Hurwitz, Liba Shifra. Mazal Tov to Libby's parents, Zahava & Michael Hurwitz and to Libby's siblings, Nachman Simcha and Ayla Chava and to the entire Hurwitz family.
* Arlene Groner on the birth of a granddaughter, Malka, to Sarah Groner & Lior Benisty in Israel.
* Arleeta & Rabbi Ivan Lerner on the birth of a great-granddaughter, daughter of Yehudis (Bleeman) & Hillel Miller of Yerushalayim. Mazal Tov to grandparents D'vorah & Rabbi Shmuel Miller of Irvine, California and Suzy & Aharon Bleeman of Toronto. Mazal Tov also to great-great-grandmother Dena Lerner Gerber of Baltimore.
* Bonnie & Yitz Szyf on the birth of a son. Mazal Tov to grandparents Sandy & Harvey Gewanter of Baltimore and Vicky & Moshe Szyf of Montreal and siblings Nati, Dassi and Sruli. The Shalom Zachor will take place at 804 Horton Drive from 7:30 PM – 9:30 PM.
* Dr. Emily Friedman on the passing of her grandmother, Selma Garnick. The funeral will take place on Sunday at 11:00 AM at Judean Memorial Gardens.
* Light Candles by 4:28
Ashkenazi: 4:30 Sephardi: 4:25 Nusach Sefard: 4:30
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:25 Sephardi: 4:10 Nusach Sefard: 4:25
* Shabbos Ends: 5:31
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – Adir & Lizy Bucharis in honor of their new baby girl.
* 8:00 Minyan – Yonah & Chana Kupferstein to commemorate the Yahrtzeit of Yonah's grandfather, Shmuel Dov Ben Yonah.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – Adina & Zach Neumann in honor of their 3rd wedding anniversary and Adina's birthday.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur following the Rabbi's Drasha, approximately 10:45 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 3:40 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Shiur after Mincha
Fast of Asara B'Teves
Tuesday, December 18
Fast Begins: 5:55
Shacharis: Ashkenazi: 6:10, 6:30, 7:35, 8:30 Sephardi: 7:15
Mincha: Ashkenazi: 12:45, 4:10 Sephardi: 4:20
Maariv: 5:05, 7:30
Fast Ends: 5:32
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, will resume December 30.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, will take place this week in the Beis Medrash.
Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Sage Wisdom with Rabbi Moshe Sadwin
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah
* Tuesdays & Wednesdays: Shivti led by Rabbi Sussman. Rabbi Grossman will be presenting weekly lectures on the weekly topic.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An in-depth analysis, will not take place this week.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? Appreciating Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Kesubos, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM in the Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
Dor L'Dor – The next Dor L'dor will take place on Motzei Shabbos, December 15, at 6:45 PM in the YISE Social Hall! This Dor L'Dor is sponsored by Elise & Ken Saks in honor of Ken, Talia, and Elise's birthdays. For more info., please contact Michael Shimoff at email@example.com
Senior Lunch – Wednesday, December 19, 12 Noon, Social Hall, Yiddish Bingo!
Ruach Minyan – Hold the date for the next Ruach Minyan, IY"H Friday, December 21, at 4:35 PM sharp. There will be a special children's story telling during part of the Davening. Take the kids and invite your friends to bring in Shabbos with us. It's going to be Gevaldic! For more info contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program is a service to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. By signing up, you are not committing to help with anything specific. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301- 681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth room behind the Balcony. 1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Job Opportunity – Shabbos Groups Coordinator – The YISE Youth Committee is seeking a Shabbos Groups Coordinator for our weekly Shabbos youth groups for preschool through elementary aged children. This is an excellent opportunity for professional growth. Strong communication, programmatic and interpersonal skills are needed. Experience working with children is a must. Compensation commensurate with experience. For more information or to apply, contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com
Community Programs and Listings
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, December 15, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 516, at 3:00 PM.
Get a Sense of Berman – Explore the five senses through science, technology, engineering, and math. Interact with features from our STEM playground and experience a taste of our Preschool and Lower School. Berman Hebrew Academy Dennis & Robin Berman Media Center. Sunday, December 16, 2018, 10:00 AM-12 noon. RSVP to Director of Admissions Elana Stein at 301-962-9400 x5630 or firstname.lastname@example.org This event is for preschool and lower-school aged children and their grown-ups.
Body and Soul – The Mikvah Emunah Society of Greater Washington presents the first shiur of a free 3-part learning series for women: Taking care of ourselves. Join us as Mrs. Rachel Kosowsky discusses "Putting First Things First: Why (and How) We Must Prioritize Ourselves to Properly Serve Hashem" on Monday, December 17, at 8:00 PM at the Namrow home- 6 Fulham Court.
Yeshiva of Greater Washington Girls Division Open House & Visiting Day – Open House for 6th grade parents, Monday, December 17, 8:00 PM. Visiting Day for 6th grade girls, Wednesday, December 19, 8:30 AM – 1:15 PM. All events located at YGW Girls Division Campus, 2010 Linden Lane, Silver Spring, MD 20910. RSVP or for more information, contact Rabbi Scott Hillman, email@example.com or 301-962-5111 ext. 1553.
Yeshiva of Greater Washington Boys Division Open House & Visiting Day – Open House for 6th grade parents, Wednesday, December 19, 8:00 PM. Visiting Day for 6th grade boys, Wednesday, December 19, 7:45 AM – 3:00 PM. All events located at YGW Boys Division Campus, 1216 Arcola Ave., Silver Spring, MD 20902. RSVP or for more information, contact Rabbi Scott Hillman, firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-962-5111 ext. 1553.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, December 19, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com for more info.
Kemp Mill Village Book Swap and Meet a Neighbor "Bingo" – Sunday, January 6, 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM at Kemp Mill Elementary School. Save the date and tell your friends! To brighten these quieter days of the winter season and have some fun, join us at a get-together to build community connections. Door prizes, good conversation, and light refreshments will be part of the festivities. We look forward to seeing you there!
Music Class for Babies and Toddlers, Ages 0 – 4 – Sunday, January 13, 9:30 AM – 10:15 AM at Berman Hebrew Academy. Coffee, bagels, and schmoozing for the grown-ups and snacks for the kiddos too. Have fun, stay warm, and get a little taste of the Berman Hebrew Academy Preschool. RSVP to Elana Stein at 301-962-9400 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yad Yehuda Breakfast Save the date! Sunday, February 3, at 9:30 AM at YISE; Second annual Yad Yehuda breakfast, honoring Mrs. Susan Koss. Learn more about Yad Yehuda's Capital Kosher Pantry. For more information, contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com
Newly Married? Growing Family? Just need a budget check-up? A new community resource, IZUN, provides financial education and decision-making support for young couples, growing families, and those facing changes in their financial status. IZUN provides tools and trained confidential counselors to help you examine your budget and review options to sustain financial stability. IZUN is a resource for families of all income levels that choose to take a forward look at their finances, and it has the enthusiastic support of community leaders and Rabbonim. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (240) 433-3944.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nazir. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more info, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Boys Baseball – Early Registration is now open! This spring, Ko-ach Sports is back for another great season of Sunday baseball. Sign up before January 15 to reserve a spot and save on registration fees. 2019 spring baseball is for boys 1st-5th grade. Go to www.Ko-achSports.com for more information.
The Week Ahead
Sunday December 16 Monday December 17 Tuesday, Dec. 18 – Asara B'Teves Wednesday December 19 Thursday December 20 Friday December 21
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:30, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Ashkenazi 4:35 4:35 / 7:30 12:45,4:10/5:05,7:30 4:35 / 7:30 4:35 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 4:30 4:30 4:20 4:30 4:30
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:26 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:42 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:37 PM
December 21 – 22, 2018 – 14 Teves 5779
Light Candles by 4:31 – Havdalah 5:34
* Light Candles by 4:31
Ashkenazi: 4:35 Sephardi: 4:30 Nusach Sefard: 4:35
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:30 Sephardi: 4:15 Nusach Sefard: 4:30
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:3
Motzei Shabbos, Dec. 15 Dor L'Dor, 6:45 PM, Social Hall
Sunday, December 16 Dvora Entin, 10:30 AM, Social Hall
Sunday, December 16 Tech Café, 1:00 PM, Social Hall
Wednesday, December 19 Senior Lunch, 12 Noon, Social Hall
Wednesday, December 19 YISE Board of Directors Meeting, 8:15 PM
Friday, December 21 Ruach Minyan, 4:35 PM, Social Hall
Sunday, December 23 Rabbi Moshe Heinemann, 9:30 AM, Social Hall
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, December 19 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager