Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
November 8-9, 2013 – 6 Kislev 5774 – Parshas Vayetze
Light Candles by 4:41 – Havdalah 5:41
* Light Candles by 4:41
* Mincha 4:45, 4:40 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 4:25 (Sephardi), 4:40 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 5:41
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8 AM Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8 AM Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* R' Pinchas Werner – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 3:40 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 3:40 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM-6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, inthe small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Continues with the topic "Litigation in Secular Courts"- Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM – will not meet this week.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency. Thursdays, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM.
The Friday Evening Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 4:45 PM in large Arcola Social Hall.
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
* Young Israel Shomrai Emunah on its 62nd birthday last week, Shabbos Toldos!
* Tzivia & Rabbi Sam Bramson on the marriage of their granddaughter, Malki Waidenbaum, daughter of Libby & Rabbi Nuta Waidenbaum, to Moshe Schwartz, son of Esther Spitzer and Aron Schwartz of Brooklyn, NY.
* Marvin Konick, Ruthie & Bill Konick and Michal & Rabbi Jonathan Seidemann on the birth of a great-grandson and grandson, Shimon to Ayelat & Yosef Tzvi Konick of Yerushalayim. Mazal Tov to siblings Akiva Yonah and Rena, aunt and uncle, Yehudis & Moshe Arzouan and family, great-aunt and uncle Renee & Josh Seidemann, and great-aunt Shirley Sperling.
* Marilyn & Don Schwartz on the birth of a granddaughter, Brielle Noa, born to Chana Leah & Anthony Brehm of Plainview, NY.
YISE Programs and Listings
Startin g this week: Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Motzei Shabbos, November 9, 7:00 PM in Arcola social hall and is open to the entire community! Delicious Pizza! Interactive Discussions! Raffle of Exciting Prizes! Lots of Fun! This week is sponsored by the Grayson family. (Next session will be November 23.)
THIS WEEK: Melava Malka Hosted by the Silvers – Come and join us in the Warwick party room on Motzei Shabbos, November 9, 8:00 PM, open to all, men and women, light refreshments, an opportunity to shmooz. Words of Torah delivered by Rabbi Silver entitled: Holy Shabbos, Holy Week: The conceptual consumption ofherring and Chulent all week long.
Community Service Day – co-sponsored by YISE, KMS, & MJBHA Chesed committees. Come do a mitzvah! Sunday, November 10, from 12:00 Noon – 2:00 PM, come help out at A Wider Circle (distribution center) at 9159 Brookville Rd, 301-608-3504 (limited to 20 people). Upper School students receive community service hours. All ages may volunteer. For more information and to RSVP for A Wider Circle, please contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kristallnacht Commemoration in Silver Spring – In honor of the 75th Anniversary of Kristallnacht (Night of Broken Glass), join us to hear a story about a heroic initiative in pre-War Italy that has come to light only recently. Hans Weil, a German Jewish sociology professor, founded a school on the Italian coast which safeguarded many German Jewish children from the Nazis. The speaker, Constance Weil Rauch, is the daughter of Prof. Weil and was an eyewitness. Sunday, November 10, 7:30 PM at YISE. Sponsored by YISE, KMS and SSJC.
Start Your Day The Right Way – TGN Presents: Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings beginning November 12, following the 8:30 Shacharis at YISE. Classes will be offered by Rabbi Barry Greengart – Daily Halachos and by Rabbi Shmuel Leigh – Parsha Inspiration. Come join a class or learn with a Chavrusa. Breakfast will be served after Shacharis. Program is open to men and women. For more information (301) 338-4810 or email@example.com.
Chanukah: Historical Context and Deeper Meanings – Rabbi Silver will be giving a two-part Chanukah series. Monday evenings, November 18 and 25 at 8:00 PM at YISE.
Shul Membership Directory is in preparation. If you have additions, changes or corrections, please go to www.yise.org/directory or send to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline is Monday, December 2.
Help make a Minyan! – We are looking for volunteers who would like to participate in the Mitzvah of helping to make a Minyan three or four times per year. We are putting together a list in order to form a rotation to help the University Blvd. Shul make a Mincha/Maariv Minyan on Fridays and Shabbos days when they anticipate a shortfall. Please contact Melvin Sassoon at email@example.com to be part of this endeavor.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett – 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has started a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com or pick up a form in the lobby.
Community Programs and Listings
Women's Discussion Group – On hiatus until after Pesach.
Bnei Akiva of Silver Spring – Snif this Shabbos at KMS from 3:30 PM until Mincha (4:30 PM). Walking groups will leave YISE at 3:00. PM.
Leaf Raking – The YGW Senior Boys Class is available throughout the autumn season to rake your leaves. The cost is $20 per hour. Please contact Rabbi Hes at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-649-7077, ext. 1528 to make an appointment.
Torah Concepts that Can Enhance Our Prayer -The Biblical meaning of "Hester Panim" – Woodside Synagogue invites the community to a lecture by Rabbi Menachem Leibtag, Motzei Shabbos, November 9, 8:00 PM. The program is sponsored by Yitzchak & Barbie Lehmann Siegel in memory of Barbie's father, Manfred Lehmann, Z"L.
MJBHA Book Fair – Join the MJBHA at the Barnes & Noble Book Fair. MJBHA-PTO earns 10% of every store purchase. Sunday, November 10, Barnes & Noble, Montrose Crossing Shopping Center. Contact Shuly Babitz at email@example.com.
LBJA Open House – For prospective parents. At the Leo Bernstein Jewish Academy of Fine Arts. Explore our unique Music and Art programs. Meet the teachers, staff and children by our LBJA rising stars (K through 2nd). Monday, November 11. 9:30 AM – 12:00 noon. 1401 Arcola Avenue. For more information: 301-592-8433 or Director@lbja.org.
Oops! The Eruv is Down. What Do I Do Now? – A shiur for women with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday, November 11, 8:30 PM, YGW Boys Campus. Presented by The YGW Women's Alumnae Association and the Kollel Zichron Amram. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
LBJA 2nd Annual Chanukah Bazaar and Book Fair – Sunday, November 17, 11:00 AM – 4:00 PM. Entrance is free! At LBJA located in the Silver Spring Jewish Center. Order Krisy Kreme Doughnut for delivery on Erev Chanukah, Tuesday, November 26. Questions? Contact the school office at 301-592-8433 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Citrus Sale – The YGW Senior Boys Class is having a Citrus Sale. Florida Naval Oranges (40-60 @ $36), Ruby Red Grapefruits (25-40 @ $32) and Tangerines (20-30 @ $26) are sold by the case. Orders are due by November 25 and should be sent to email@example.com.
JCADA Needs Your Help – Help raise funds for a much needed Legal Access Program for The Jewish Coalition Against Domestic Abuse. To find out more go to www.crowdrise.com/jcada.
Alfred House Shalom Kosher – The Alfred House Assisted Living for Seniors facility here in Kemp Mill has gone Kosher under the Washington VAAD… and has changed to reflect this new qualification. For information: Joan at 240-535-0597.
Job Assist Events:
* Federal Jobs – 2 Free Workshops. (1) How to Apply for Federal Jobs on USAJOBS, Tuesday, November 12, 2:00 PM – 2:30 PM and (2) Tips for Veterans Applying for Civilian Federal Employment. Register at www.resume-place.com (Kathryn Troutman's organization). Wednesday, November 13, 2:30 PM – 3:00 PM.
* LinkedIn for Beginners – Free workshop. Wednesday, November 20, 1:00 PM – 2:30 PM, 200 Wood Hill Road, Rockville. Info and register at www.jssa.org.
* Interview/Resume Skills Webinar – Tuesday, November 12, 5:30 PM – 7:30 PM. Info and register at www.oujobs.org.
Professional Clothing Drive – Donate your gently used professional cloths and accessories. Help men & women literally suit up for the office. For more information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, November 10 Monday, November 11 Tuesday, November 12 Wednesday, November 13 Thursday, November 14 Friday, November 15
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 4:40 4:40 4:40 4:40 4:40 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv)
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:57 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:18 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:23 PM
November 15-16, 2013 – 13 Kislev 5774
Light Candles by 4:35 – Havdalah 5:36
* Light Candles by 4:35
* Mincha 4:35, 4:30 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 4:15 (Sephardi), 4:30 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 5:36
Motzei Shabbos, Nov. 9 First Dor L'Dor of the season, 7:00 PM
Sunday, November 10 Kristallnacht Commemoration, 7:30 PM
Monday, November 18 The Man with The Truck, 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM
Monday, November 18 Rabbi Silver's Chanukah Series – Part 1
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, November 13, at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director