Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
November 28-29, 2014 – 7 Kislev 5775 – Parshas Vayetze
Light Candles by 4:28 – Havdalah 5:30
* Light Candles by 4:28
Arcola: 4:30 University: 4:30 Sephardi: 4:25 Nusach Sefard: 4:30
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
* Mincha – Please note earlier times this week.
Arcola: 2:30, 4:15 University: 4:25 Sephardi: 4:00 Nusach Sefard: 4:25
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:30
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 3:15 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 3:30 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 3:45 PM.
* Rabbi Barry Greengart – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Dottie & Nat Franco on the marriage of their grandson, Nathan Daniel, son of Sarina & Danny Franco, to Jessica Sitt, daughter of Debbie & Joseph Sitt of Brooklyn. Mabrook to the entire Franco crew.
* Elyse Gabay and Aaron Paine on the passing of their grandmother, Miriam Paine. The funeral took place in Columbus, Ohio on Wednesday. Larry Paine, father of Elyse and Aaron, will be observing Shiva at the home of Debi & Max Rudmann, 907 Hyde Road through Tuesday morning. The Minyan schedule is as follows: Shacharis: Sunday: 8:00, Monday: 6:45, Tuesday: 6:55.Mincha/Maariv: Sunday and Monday: 4:30;
* Jed Linfield on the passing of his father, Dr. David Linfield. The funeral took place in New York on Thursday. Shiva will be observed through Wednesday morning at the Linfield home, 11216 Monticello Avenue. The Minyan schedule is as follows: Shacharis: Sunday: 7:30, Monday: 6:45, Tuesday and Wednesday: 7:00. Mincha/Maariv: Sunday, Monday, Tuesday: 4:30.
YISE Programs and Listings
Special Shalosh Seudos – Sponsored by Drs. Laurie & Stuart Cohen in gratitude for the Tefilos and warm wishes received from the community during Stuart's recent illness.
YISE Together-for-5 – Continues with a series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum about "Laws of Shemittah." For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on topics in Jewish History on Monday, December 1, from 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Shiurim from Rabbi Anemer ZT"L Online – Many Shiurim are now available online at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html The latest Shiurim are for Parashas Hashavuah, including 3 on this week's Parasha, Vayetze. If you have tapes of Shiurim given by Rabbi Anemer that you would like included on this web site, please contact Rabbi Yisroel Anemer at email@example.com or tapes may be given to Nechemia Mond.
Next Weekend – Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Motzei Shabbos, December 6, 6:30 PM, Arcola Social Hall. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun!
Building Bridges: Who Are We and Who Are They? – The GWCK, in conjunction with YISE, invites men and women of the community to a special lecture by Rabbi Motty Berger of Aish HaTorah. He will be speaking on the topic of "How We Can All Get Involved in Reaching Out." Monday, December 8, 8:00 PM, Belonofsky Sanctuary. Admission is free.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
SAVE THE DATE: YISE Annual Banquet
Sunday, March 1, 2015
Honorees: Lianne & Theo Heller and Youth Honorees: Yoni Broth, Daniel Ginsburg, and Hadassah Solomson
To volunteer to serve on a Banquet Committee, please contact Elise Saks at firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Haftoros Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Halacha Shiur for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall, part of the Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah.We will be discussing "Halachos of Berachos."
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Zecharia Schwartz
* Jewish Philosophy with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Monday through Friday from 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow. Choose from classes:
* Gemara Kop with R' Nachum Schwartz
* Becoming an Inspired Eved Hashem – Alei Shur (R' Shlomo Wolbe) with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Iyunim L'Halacha with R' Moshe Chaim Blate
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the small Beis Medrash.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will NOT meet this Shabbos.
Youth groups will NOT meet this Shabbos.
Reignite Chanukah – Join YISE Youth and YISE Nursery on December 14 from 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM for an exciting Chanukah celebration for children in nursery – 6th grade. $5.00 per child. Activities include: Find the last jug of olive oil in the 30 foot obstacle course, Chanukah sing-along, Chanukiyah building contest using recycled materials, olive oil press demonstration, and Sufganiyot.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, Shabbos 10:30 AM, and Sunday at 6:30 AM.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
Avos Ubonim (Father Son Learning) – Motzei Shabbos, 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM at the YGW Boys Campus. Learning will be followed by pizza, raffles & prizes. Sponsored by the Mond families, L'ilui Nishmas Yehudah Aryeh ben Yehoshua Yakir.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, December 3, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Come Visit Us! Take a tour of Berman Hebrew Academy's Preschool and Lower School, Wednesday, December 3, 9:30 AM. Future tours: Thursday, January 15 and Monday, February 9. Join us for an Informational Evening for Middle School on Tuesday, December 2, Upper School on Sunday, December 7, or Preschool and Kindergarten on Tuesday, December 9. To RSVP for any of these events or to make an appointment to visit Berman, visit www.mjbha.org or contact Sharon Butler, Admissions Director, at 301-962-9400 ext 5630 or email@example.com
Reclaiming Mikvah: A Woman's Most Sacred Space – Mikvah Emunah Society and Chabad of Silver Spring present: An Evening of Empowerment & Inspiration for Women. Featured Speaker: Mrs. Rivkah Slonim. December 7, 7:30 PM, Silver Spring Civic Center, (Complimentary parking in garage across Ellsworth Drive.) Sponsorship opportunities are available. Dessert buffet. Free of charge. RSVP appreciated: firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-593-1117. Co-sponsored by YISE and KMS.
Gevaldig Concert Benefiting the Camp Gevaldig Scholarship Fund – Motzei Shabbos, December 13, 8:15 PM at SEHC featuring Yisroel Juskowitz with a band by Yehoshua Sheininger, Chaim Fruchter, and Yehoshua Mendlowitz. For more info. call: 443-928-3687.
Professional Clothing and Coat Drive – Do you have items that are in good condition but could use a new home? Donate today. Contact Adam Bashein for more information: email@example.com
Job Assist Events:
Silver Spring Eruv Association (SSEA) Annual Appeal
The Eruv's annual appeal is in progress. To cover the cost of recent repairs and keep the Eruv functioning, we need your contributions. The suggested annual contribution is $54 per household. The Silver Spring Eruv Association (SSEA) is not (yet) a 501(c)(3) organization. For your donation to be tax-deductible, make your check payable to: YISE Eruv Fund. Please mail your check to: SSEA, 11113 Lombardy Road, Silver Spring, MD 20901. Please do not mail your check to the shul and please do not donate on-line. Questions? SilverSpringEruv@gmail.com
Begin to say Vesain Tal Umatar Livracha at Maariv on Thursday, December 4.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, November 30 Monday, December 1 Tuesday, December 2 Wednesday, December 3 Thursday, December 4 Friday, December 5
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:10, 7:15 6:20, 7:15 6:20, 7:15 6:10, 7:15 6:20, 7:15
Arcola 4:35 4:35 4:35 4:35 4:35 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv)
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:16 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:31 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:30 PM
December 5-6, 2014 – 14 Kislev 5775
Light Candles by 4:27 – Havdalah 5:30
* Light Candles by 4:27
Arcola: 4:30, Ruach University: 4:30 Sephardi: 4:25 Nusach Sefard: 4:30
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 4:25 University: 4:25 Sephardi: 4:10 Nusach Sefard: 4:25
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:30
Shabbos, November 29 Special Shalosh Seudos sponsored by Laurie & Stuart Cohen.
Wednesday, December 3 Senior Lunch, Arcola Social Hall, 12:00 Noon Dr. Gilda Haber will speak on "The Diary of the Mad Hatter Stories"
Friday, December 5 Ruach Minyan, Arcola Social Hall
Motzei Shabbos, Dec. 6 Dor L'Dor, 6:30 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Wednesday, December 10 YISE Board Meeting, 7:30 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, December 3 at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director