Download the November 23-24 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
November 23-24, 2012 – Parshas Vayetze – 10 Kislev 5773
Light Candles by 4:30 Havdalah 5:32
* Light Candles by 4:30
* Mincha 4:25 (Sephardi), 4:30 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 4:10 (Sephardi), 4:25
* Maariv/Havdalah 5:32
* 8:00 & 8:45 Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – Laurie & Stuart Cohen in honor of Stuart's Dad's 10th Yahrtzeit and the (belated) 1st birthday of Malkiel Aaron Cohen, son of Adena & Justin Cohen.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Jack Mehlman, Betsy & Tevie Mehlman, Nancy & Pesach Mehlman, Judy & Moshe Mehlman, Surah Mehlman, Judy & Zevi Mehlman, Faygah & Jed Linfield, Miriam & Dovid Cohen and all of the grandchildren on the Yahrtzeit of their wife, mother and grandmother Gloria Lillian Mehlman – Gittel Leah bat Moshe David. AND co-sponsored by Rivka & Eitan Friedman to welcome their new daughter, Rayna Dvora Lee.
* R' Pinchas Werner – Shiur at 8:15 AM.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharis.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 3:25 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 3:25 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Parsha Shiur at 3:55 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
Our shul would like to express Hakaros Hatov to Mr. Bernie Lisitza and family for their donation of the beautiful Menorah sculpture that now hangs on the front of our building. It adds a wonderful finishing touch to the recent renovations.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Women's Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mishna Brurah Shiur for Men, Sundays at 8:30 PM, at his home. For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM-6:45 AM, Arcola Social Hall.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Zichron Gedaliah Bais Medrash for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays after the 7:15 PM Maariv minyan at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Join us for the important and relevant topic of "The Mitzva of Lending and Prohibition of Interest: Common Issues." Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster independent Gemara proficiency. Thursday evenings at 8:00 PM.
* Nancy & Pesach Mehlman and Lisa & Alan Friedman on the birth of a granddaughter, Rayna Dvora Lee, to their children, Rivka & Eitan Friedman. Mazal Tov to great-grandfather Jack Mehlman, the other great-grandparents, aunts and uncles.
* Marla & Marty Teichman on the marriage of their son Mitchell to Coralie, daughter of Dr. & Mrs. Daniel Mouyal of Strasbourg, France.
* Ina Lerman on the passing of her mother and Penina Blate on the passing of her grandmother, Eileen Miller. Funeral and Shiva were held this week.
* Gary Roth on the passing of his father, Jonathan Roth. Funeral and Shiva were held this week.
* The family of former member, Ilona Blech. Shiva will be observed at 3206 Fountanview Drive, Monsey, NY, 10952, 845-426-2835 through Monday morning.
* The Youth Minyan will NOT meet this week.
* Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade will NOT meet this week; Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM-11:15 AM. Please pick child(ren) up promptly.
* YISE Youth presents: Paintball for Boys 8th-12th grade, Sunday December 2, 1:00 PM-4:00 PM. Cost:$21, includes: gear, gun, and paintballs. Space is limited. RSVP to email@example.com or 347-613-6367. Details , including transportation & clothing requirements will be sent to those that sign up.
YISE Programs and Listings
PARKING: Effective December 1, the Shul has a new parking arrangement with the Shopping Center. We will no longer be renting parking from the Pool. See the separate parking flyer for details. It is very important for the success of this new parking arrangement, which costs significantly less than the arrangement with the Pool, that everyone park in the proper location.
Belonofsky Sanctuary Lighting – Lights in the Belonofsky Sanctuary have been blinking on and off for weeks. Unfortunately the problem is not the light bulbs. For electricians to reach the light fixtures we will require moving pews to allow scaffolding to be set up. That was delayed by the work being done in the Sanctuary and on the sidewalks outside. The work is now tentatively scheduled to be done next week. We appreciate your patience as we work to provide better lighting for the membership.
Are you interested in the lives of our Avos, Emahos, and others mentioned in Tanach? If so, come to the first installment of this year's Oneg Shabbos program with Rabbi Rosenbaum at 8:00 PM, this Friday night, November 23, at the home of Rachelli & Craig Simon, 918 Kenbrook Court. We will be learning about the life of Esav. Light refreshments will be provided by the host family.
Join Dor L'Dor – the family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Motzei Shabbos, 7:00 PM in Arcola social hall and is open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lot of fun! This week is sponsored by an anonymous donor.
Shabbos, December 1, morning services at University Blvd. will be suspended to enable people to attend Moshe Mehlman's Bar Mitzvah at the Arcola Avenue main minyan. Friday Afternoon Mincha/Kabbalas Shabbos on November 30, and Shabbos Afternoon Mincha/ Maariv on December 1 will take place as usual at University Blvd.
Chanukah Toy Drive – YISE Sisterhood is collecting toys to benefit Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington for distribution to local patients, with a percentage going from our community to Hurricane Sandy victims in NJ and NY. New, unwrapped toys can be put in the marked box in the YISE lobby. For more information contact Stephanie Frumkin at SFrumkin@yise.org. Tizku L'Mitzvot!
Community Service Day – Join us for a Community Service Day on December 2 from 12:00 noon-2:00 PM. Sponsored by YISE and KMS Chesed Committees, and MJBHA. Limited to 20 per session. For more information and to RSVP, please contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org. Volunteer at A Wider Circle (distribution center) – 9159 Brookville Road, Silver Spring, MD 20910- Phone: 301-608-3504. Upper school students can receive community service hours. All ages may volunteer.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands and thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed Medical Fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: Young Israel Shomrai Emunah (YISE) Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett – 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Job Assist Events:
* Getting a Job in the Age of Social Media – Thursday, Nov. 29, 10:30 AM, Aspen Hill Library. Presented by JSSA. Info and register at 301-610-8380.
* Beyond LinkedIn – Out-of-the-Box Ways to Market Yourself. Ronnie Baras will explain the benefits of a blog, personal website, and YouTube. Monday, Dec. 3, 7:30 PM-9:00 PM, YISE. To reserve a seat, please email DMarwick@JobAssist.org.
* Speed Networking – Brand and Promote Yourself in Minutes! A quick, structured and focused opportunity to meet those who can propel your career and business. Tuesday, Dec. 4, 7:00 PM-8:30 PM, 2200 Baltimore Road, Rockville. Info and register (required) at www.jssa.org.
* 3 Steps to Your Best Job Ever – Learn a simple approach to quickly land the right job. Tuesday, Dec. 4, 7:00 PM-8:30 PM. Info and register at www.oujobs.org.
Community Programs and Listings
Weekday morning Shiurim with Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Rabbi Moshe Alshich Hakadosh commentaries on the Torah from 8:45 AM-9:45 AM and In-depth Gemara Shiur on Mesechta Pesachim including Meforshim from 9:45 AM-10:45 AM. For more information 240-423-8810. Shiurim at 609 Hyde Rd.
MJBHA Informational Evening for Middle School and Upper School parents Wednesday, November 28, 8:00 PM at the home of Marcy & Josh Wolf, 6 Saddlerock Court.
Citrus Sale – Yeshiva of Greater Washington boys division, senior class, is selling fresh citrus straight from the grove to you! Help build up your immune system while helping them raise funds for their trip to Israel. Deadline to order is December 2. Contact Aryeh Broth at 301-509-7676 or email@example.com for more information.
Children's Book Fair and Chanukah Boutique presented by the Leo Bernstein Jewish Academy, School of Fine Arts. December 2, 11:00 AM-4:00 PM, 1401 Arcola Avenue. To participate as a vendor or for more information, contact 301-592-8433 or Director@lbja.org.
Do the mitzvah of bikur cholim! Visit people in Kemp Mill who would greatly appreciate it. Community Service points may be earned as well. For more information, please contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Year-round Assistance – Donations to the Yehuda Mond Foundation, and the Tomchei Shabbos of Greater Washington help a growing number of individuals and families in need, year round, and are a meaningful way to both honor friends and relatives and to celebrate simchas. The Tomchei Shabbos will send beautifully designed cards to the family or individual that you select in order to acknowledge donations made by you honoring someone's Bar or Bas Mitzvah, Yarhzeit or any other notable occasion. Please contact the Yehuda Mond Foundation at cards@YehudaMond.org or send your donations to 812 Hyde Court, Silver Spring.
Krispy Kreme Doughnut Sale in honor of Chanukah by the LBJA. Doughnuts must be ordered by Friday, December 7. Pickup will be at the LBJA, 1401 Arcola Ave., 10:00 AM-4:00 PM on Monday, December 10. Call the LBJA at 301-592-8433 to order.
The Week Ahead
Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday
November 25 November 26 November 27 November 28 November 29 November 30
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 6:15 6:30 6:30 6:15 6:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 4:35 4:35 4:35 4:35 4:35 See Shabbos Schedule
University 4:35 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv)
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:12 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:28 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:28 PM
November 30 – December 1, 2012
17 Kislev 5773
Light Candles by 4:28 – Havdalah 5:30
* Light Candles by 4:28
* Mincha 4:25 (Sephardi), 4:30 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Ruach Minyan 4:30 (Arcola Social Hall)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 4:10 (Sephardi), 4:25
* Maariv/Havdalah 5:30
Monday, Nov. 26 The Man With The Truck, Arcola, 5:30 PM-8:30 PM
Friday, Nov. 30 Ruach Minyan, Arcola Social Hall, 4:30 PM
Shabbos, Dec. 1 Bar Mitzvah of Moshe Mehlman
Tuesday, Dec. 4 YISE Board of Directors meeting, 7:30 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, Nov. 28, at 12 noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday thru Thursday, 9:00 AM-5:00 PM and Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director