Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
November 20-21, 2015 – 9 Kislev 5776 – Parshas Vayetze
Light Candles by 4:32 – Havdalah 5:33
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by the Krakow family in memory of Marion Krakow, Miriam Bat Ben Tzion on the occasion of her first Yahrzeit.
* Shirli & Ofer Levi on the Bar Mitzvah of their son Nitai. Mazal Tov also to his sisters Yuval and Noam.
* Sherrie & Zev Zalman Ludwick on the engagement of their son Adam Paisley to Miriam Bayla Bortz of Baltimore.
* Sherrie & Zev Zalman Ludwick on their daughter Elisheva Raezel’s Bat Mitzvah.
* Robert Klein on the passing of his brother Kenneth Klein. The funeral took place on Thursday in California. Shiva will continue at 10839 Bucknell Drive, beginning on Monday morning. The Minyan schedule: Shacharis: Monday / Tuesday /Wednesday: 7:00. Mincha / Maariv: Monday / Tuesday: 4:30.
* Light Candles by 4:32
Arcola: 4:35 University: 4:35 Sephardi: 4:30 Nusach Sefard: 4:35
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
This week, the Sephardi Minyan will meet in the Large Social Hall and the 8:00 Minyan will meet in the Large Beis Medrash.
Arcola: 2:30, 4:30 University: 4:30 Sephardi: 4:10 Nusach Sefard: 4:30
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:33
* Sephardi Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Silver
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Meir Goldwicht
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – The Levi family in honor of Nitai’s Bar Mitzvah.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Jessica & Barry Krakow and Wendy & Oren Penn in memory of Barry’s mother and Wendy’s grandmother Marion Krakow, Miriam Bat Ben Tzion, on the occasion of her first Yahrzeit; and by YISE in honor of our Scholar-in-Residence, Rabbi Meir Goldwicht.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 3:30 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 3:40 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will resume in the Spring.
* Rabbi Meir Goldwicht – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – now learning Sefer Yehoshua.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum’s Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Silver’s Parsha Shiur for Men and Women. A mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM – will not meet this week.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM – special lecture by Rabbi Brahm Weinberg.
* Rabbi Levy’s Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network’s Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow. Choose from classes:
* Gemara Kop with R’ Nachum Schwartz
* Becoming an Inspired Eved Hashem – Alei Shur (R’ Shlomo Wolbe) with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Iyunim L’Halacha with R’ Moshe Haim Blate
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan’s Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the small Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
We welcome our Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Meir Goldwicht. Joel & Maria Finkle Visiting Israeli Rosh Yeshiva; RIETS/Mazer School of Talmudic Studies at Yeshiva University; former Ram, Yeshiva Kerem B’Yavneh.
* After Shabbos Dinner in YISE Social Hall (~8:00): The Secret of Prayer During Times of Crisis and Happiness
* After 8:45 Main Minyan Shacharis (~11:00): Shechem, Chevron and Yerushalayim: How These Places Affect Our Personality – Kiddush follows.
* Shabbos Afternoon for Women, at 2:15 PM at the home of Fran Broder, 11801 Clintwood Place: Bayamim Hahaim Bazman Hazeh: The Essence of Chanukah
* Between Mincha / Maariv: The Evil Eye and the Good Eye in Our Daily Life
The Meaning of Hallel – Monday-night sessions with Rabbi Rosenbaum, going in depth into Hallel. Classes continue on November 23 and 30 from 8:00 PM to 9:00 PM, in the YISE small Social Hall. Free; open to men and women. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Part of the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project.
Dor L’Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Motzei Shabbos, November 21, 6:45 PM, Arcola Social Hall. This week is sponsored by Elise & Ken Saks in honor of both Ken and Talia’s birthdays. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun!
Uber and Disruptive Technologies in Light of Jewish Law and Ethics – Greater Washington Community Kollel, in conjunction with YISE, invites men and women of the community to join us for a lecture by Rabbi Brahm Weinberg of KMS. Sunday, November 22, 9:30 AM at YISE.
YISE Paintball! YISE is having paintball outing to Route 40 Paintball on Sunday, November 22 at 11:30 AM (NOTE NEW TIME) for men 13 and over. Cost is $30 per person. Reservations were required by Thursday, November 19. For more information and reservations, please contact Yitz Sandberg at email@example.com
Yavan: The Darkness Before the Chanukah Lights – Shiur for women with Rabbi Rosenbaum. Sunday, November 22, at 8:30 PM at the home of Bayla Goodman, 11527 Monticello Avenue.
YISE Together-for-5 – Begins on Monday, November 23, with a new series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum about "Thoughts on Chanukah." For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on topics in Jewish History. Monday, December 7, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM. 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
SAVE THE DATE: YISE Annual Banquet – Sunday, April 3, 2016. Honoring: Barbara Price. Young Leadership Award: Adina & Josh Obstfeld. If you would like to be on the committee please contact Rachelli Simon (email@example.com) or Cheryl Broth
In light of the terrifying daily events occuring in Israel, it is incumbent upon all of Klal Yisrael to pray and do meritorious deeds as a merit for the safety of our brothers and sisters. Those who would like to say Tehillim privately can recite 20, 83, 121, 130 and 142, among many others. May Hakadosh Baruch Hu answer our prayers, watch over the State of Israel and Jews all around the world, and bring the ultimate redemption speedily in our day.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:40 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly. NOTICE EXTENDED TIME FOR SCHOLAR-IN-RESIDENCE.
Seudah Shlishit with Rabbi Meir Goldwicht – Hosted by Bnei Akiva, for 10th – 12th grade Madrichim in Bnei Akiva. At the Sloans’ house, 1168 Kersey Road, 3:30 PM – 4:20 PM.
Community Programs and Listings
Condolences to former member Stella Levy on the passing of her mother. Shiva is being observed in Holon, Israel through Sunday evening.
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B’Halacha on Hilchos Tefillah, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:45PM at YGW. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner at 301-649-0552.
Camp Chaverim, a New Boys Sleepaway Camp in Town – Established and directed by Rabbi Ezra Baldinger and Rabbi Yaakov Boruch Beren, the camp is for boys entering 4th through 9th grades with a Masmidim program for boys entering 10th grade through first year Bais Medresh. Please join us at our open house this Motzei Shabbos, November 21 at the Millers’, 1108 N. Belgrade Road from 8:30 PM – 9:30 PM. Check us out on the web at chaverimovernight.com and contact us at 301-807-2260 or email@example.com
The Matchmaker – Presented by Berman Hebrew Academy, Moshe H. Levinson Upper School HADAS. Motzei Shabbos, November 21, 8:00 PM and Sunday, November 22, 2:00 PM. Tickets: Students/seniors $5.00, Adults $7.00. For more information: contact Eliana Elikan at firstname.lastname@example.org or Uri Farber at email@example.com
LBJA Chanukah Boutique – Sunday, November 22nd, 12:00 PM – 4:00 PM at 1401 Arcola Avenue. There will be vendors selling unique goods. Food, babysitting, activities, and a raffle with great prizes!
Arvus of One Jew for Another – Thanksgiving Day Federal Holiday Learning Program for Men, Thursday, November 26, 9:00 AM Chavrusa Learning, 10:00 AM. Shiur By Rabbi Eli Reingold. For more information contact Rabbi Reingold 301-996-5910.
Toastmasters’ Meeting – Wednesday, December 2, 8:00PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. No meeting November 25. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Celebrate Chanukah with the GWCK – Monday, December 7, at 7:00 PM. Enjoy delicious Chanukah refreshments and dancing with music from Kol HaLev. Featuring a special theater performance by Shlomo Horwitz and a magic show for children. At 10900 Lockwood Drive.
Charity in Memory of Avraham Khaldar – The Khaldar family is continuing to raise funds to support a new Yeshiva in the Old City of Jerusalem. The funds will be used to directly support a Chabura to learn Torah in memory of Avraham. If you would like to support, please make a check out to "Toras Yisrael Yevorchu Metzion," with "Zichron Avraham" in the memo, and send to Eitan Khaldar at 11305 Monticello Avenue.
Bethesda Mincha – Daily Minyan at 7910 Woodmont Avenue, Suite 870. Contact email@example.com to be placed on the daily e-mail group.
Ongoing Professional Clothing and Coat Drive – If you have professional clothing, coats that you no longer use and are in good condition, Adam Bashein will help find these items a new home, via A Wider Circle. For more information, to coordinate picking up of items contact firstname.lastname@example.org
YISE Membership Drive
The Shul is looking to expand its membership. If you are not a member, but are interested in becoming one, there are incentive options available! For more information please contact Michael Shimoff at email@example.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday, November 22 Monday, November 23 Tuesday, November 24 Wednesday, November 25 Thursday, Nov. 26 – Thanksgiving Day Friday, November 27
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:15, 7:10 6:20, 7:15 6:20, 7:15 7:30 6:20, 7:15
Arcola 4:35 4:35, 7:30 (Maariv) 4:35, 7:30 (Maariv) 4:35, 7:30 (Maariv) 4:35 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 4:30 4:30 4:30 4:30 4:30
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:08 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:26 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:26 PM
November 27-28, 2015 – 16 Kislev 5776
Light Candles by 4:29 – Havdalah 5:31
* Light Candles by 4:29
Arcola: 4:30 University: 4:30 Sephardi: 4:25 Nusach Sefard: 4:30
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 4:25 University: 4:25 Sephardi: 4:05 Nusach Sefard: 4:25
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:31
Shabbos, November 20-21 Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Meir Goldwicht
Motzei Shabbos, Nov. 21 Dor L’Dor, Arcola Social Hall, 6:45 PM
Sunday, November 22 YISE Paintball Outing
Monday, November 23 Basic Colors, 12:00 Noon to 6:30 PM Arcola Social Hall
Friday, December 4 Ruach Minyan, Arcola Social Hall, 4:30
Motzei Shabbos, Dec. 5 Dor L’Dor, Arcola Social Hall, 6:45 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, November 25 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Wednesday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Closed Thursday, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director