Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
December 9-10, 2016 – 10 Kislev 5777 – Parshas Vayetze
Light Candles by 4:27 – Havdalah 5:30
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387.
* Tzivia & Rabbi Sam Bramson on the birth of a great-granddaughter, Esther Kaila, to their grandchildren, Yael & Shlomo Emanuel of Brooklyn, NY.
* Hannah Gershon on the birth of a great-granddaughter, Michal Chaya, born to Yael & Jonathan Korman of Chicago.
* Sahra & Yale Ginsburg and Susu & Steve Danis and family on the recent marriage of their children, Rachel & Avi. Mazal Tov to grandparents Faith & Gil Ginsburg and Rochelle Dimont, to Uncle Rafi, Aunt Masha & Uncle Seth Katz and family, and to siblings Devora & Elazar, Naftali, and Daniel, and to the extended Ginsburg / Dimont / Danis families.
* Susan & Rabbi Saul Koss on the marriage of their grandson, Eliyahu, son of Miriam & Reuven Koss of Netivot, to Tovi Neuwirth of Bnei Brak.
* Sarah & David Maslow, of Jerusalem, on the birth of a granddaughter, Tehilla Ora Elisheva, to their children Aleeza & Rabbi Natanel Lebowitz of Ramat Bet Shemesh.
* Debra & Arthur Sapper on the Bat Mitzvah of their granddaughter, Tzivia, and the upsherin of their grandson Elchonon, children of Sarah & Rabbi Dovid Brotsky of Cincinnati, OH.
* Nechama & Yosi Scharf on the birth of a baby girl, Chana Raizel. Mazal Tov also to big brother Yaakov Aryeh and to the entire Krieger and Scharf families.
* Cindy Bauman on the passing of her brother, Arthur Cooper. The funeral took place on Thursday in Savannah, GA. Shiva will be observed in Savannah, GA through Wednesday morning.
* Light Candles by 4:27
Arcola: 4:30 University: 4:30 Sephardi: 4:25 Nusach Sefard: 4:30
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 9:15 Minyan will meet in the Boys Yeshiva.
Arcola: 2:30, 4:25 University: 4:25 Sephardi: 4:05 Nusach Sefard: 4:25
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:30
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 and 9:15 Minyanim Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – Luna & Avi Peretz
* 8:45 Main Minyan – In memory of the Yahrzeit of Gloria Mehlman, A"H, by the Linfield, Mehlman and Cohen families.
* 9:15 Minyan – "The 9:15 Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 3:30 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Barry Greengart – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women on The Value of Modesty – based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 6:30 PM in the Large Beis Medrash – will not meet this week.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:15 AM – 11:00 AM.
* For more information 301-732-1773 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? We Can Appreciate Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University – will not meet this week.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at email@example.com or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: 613 with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Tuesday: In The Beginning with Rabbi Zacharia Schwartz.
* Wednesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Inspired Avodah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher, Kollel Zichron Amram and Rebbe, YGW
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Women (class located in the Small Social Hall):
* Monday: Women of Valor with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter.
YISE Programs and Listings
We welcome new members who were voted in at the last Board meeting: Chen & Eitan Edrei and Alanna & Rabbi Avichai Pepper.
Betting and Speculating: From the Strip to the Street – The GWCK invites men and women of the community to join us for a Jewish Ethics lecture by Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman. Sunday, December 11, 9:30 AM, at YISE.
Infant & Child CPR Class – Hosted by YISE on Sunday, December 11, at 12:00 Noon. This is a full certification class, and will be administered by a trainer from NOVA Cert, LLC. If there is enough interest from teenagers, there will be a concurrent babysitting preparation class, which will include both CPR certification and special training for new babysitters. The (subsidized) cost for the class will be $35 per person. Payment may be made by cash, credit card, check, or PayPal. Estimated time for the class is two and a half hours (slightly longer for the babysitting preparation class). If interested, please sign up in advance by emailing LCypess@gmail.com Please specify if you are interested in the babysitting preparation class.
Insights into the Siddur – Hear Rabbi Berel Wolvovsky, Rabbi of Chabad of Silver Spring, share insights into our daily and Shabbos Davening from the perspective of Chassidus. Wednesday, December 14, 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM in the Belonofsky Sanctuary. Open to all. Part of the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project.
SAVE THE DATE: Next Shabbos, December 16-17: Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Dovid Gottlieb. Rav at Yeshivat Har Etzion (Gush); Rabbi and Co-founder of Ganei Ha'ela, Beit Shemesh; Former Rav, Congregation Shomrei Emunah, Baltimore.
* Friday Evening, 8:00 PM, light refreshments: From Milan to Meah Shearim: Fashion and Jewish Identity in the Modern World
* After 8:45 Main Minyan Shacharis (~11:00): Talking to the Shepherd – What Does Being Religious Really Mean? – Kiddush follows.
* Between Mincha / Maariv: The Case of the Poison Sandwich
Ruach Minyan – Hold the date for the next Ruach Minyan at YISE, Friday, December 16, 4:30 PM in the Arcola Social Hall. In addition, during part of the Davening, a special children's program will be held! So, join us, bring the family and tell your friends. It's going to be Gevaldig! For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Next Motzei Shabbos, December 17, 6:30 PM, Arcola Social Hall. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun!
How to Talk so Kids will Listen and Listen so Kids will Talk – YISE Shomrai Nursery Parenting Series. A six session workshop to help parents develop life long, close, communicative relationships with their children. Facilitated by Judy Rosenthal, parent educator and consultant, who has worked with parents of young children for over 10 years. 6 sessions beginning January 8. At the home of Judy Rosenthal. Cost: $100 per person / $120 per couple. (Includes: A copy of "How to Talk so Kids will Listen, And Listen so Kids will Talk" by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish, and class materials). To Register: contact email@example.com or 301-593-7365.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
A Fertility Journey: Panel Discussion – Understand the stresses that 1 in 8 couples face, trying to get pregnant or sustain a pregnancy; learn some dos and don'ts in supporting your friends or loved ones; and hear from a couple that share their experience. Estee Silver, a registered nurse, Karen Wasserstein, a psychologist specializing in fertility counseling, and Atara and Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum will share their insights. Sponsored by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and chesed committees of YISE, KMS, and SSJC. Sunday, December 25, 10:30 AM – 12:00 Noon, YISE Social Hall.
Like YISE on Facebook: facebook.com/YIShomraiEmunah
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Social Hall, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30-10:00. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Annual Chanukah Celebration: A Chanukah Packed with Flare! Please Join YISE Youth and YISE Nursery on Sunday, December 18, from 12:00 Noon – 2:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall. Sufganiyot, 30ft Inflatable obstacle course, Ben Yehuda Pizza, Wheaton Fire and Rescue Trucks, Zig Zag the Magician, and arts and crafts with YISE Nursery. $5 per person (2 and older), $25 family max, doughnuts are free, pizza is $2.50 per slice. For more info, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Seuda, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:40 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or email@example.com
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Kesuvos. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, Monday through Thursday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Parsha Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, December 10, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 316, at 3:00 PM.
Bnei Akiva Snif this week for 3rd – 6th graders at KMS 1 hour before KMS Mincha. Walking groups leave YISE 20 min prior to the start of Snif (80 minutes before KMS Mincha).
Judith de Paris, Pinnacle Hatpins and Baby Bandini – Join us for a night of scarves, style, bow and beads. Ladies only. Motzei Shabbos, December 10. Begins at 7:30 PM, 913 Lamberton Drive. Tichel tying and accessorizing tutorials. Special prices. 10% of JdP sales donated to BCGW.
A Special Evening with the Koidenover Rebbe – Monday, December 12, at the home of Dr. Nick Muzin, 800 Stonington Road. Private meetings with the Rebbe will begin at 7:00 PM, followed by an uplifting Kumsitz at 8:00 PM. This is a unique opportunity to meet the Rebbe, who is much sought after for his Brochos and advice. To schedule an appointment with the Rebbe or for more information, please contact R Shlomo Slatkin at 443-570-7598 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, December 14, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Laissez-faire? The Jewish Perspective on Economic Interventionism – GWCK Brunch and Learn with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman. Thursday, December 15, 12:45 PM – 1:45 PM. Complimentary lunch will be served. RSVP required to firstname.lastname@example.org BECO Building West, Bet Medrash, 2nd Floor, 5410 Edson Lane, Rockville.
Workplace Skills Workshop:
* Federal Job Search: Cracking the Code – Free webinar, Thursday, December 15, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM. Information and register at http://federaljobresults.com/events.htm
The Leo Bernstein Jewish Academy-PTO Fifth Annual Chanukah Boutique – Sunday, December 18, at SSJC, from 12:00 Noon – 4:00 PM. Amazing vendors, a Chinese auction with some great prizes, including a signed piece of artwork from renowned artist Avy Ashery and a gift certificate to satisfy your sweet tooth at the Candy Man, and other prizes worth up to $120!! We'll also have live entertainment and activities for the kids, delicious concessions, and more! If you would like to participate as a vendor, contact PTO@lbja.org
Light up the Night – Join AMIT on Motzei Shabbos, December 24 at 8:00 PM at 504 Hermleigh Road. Bring something that lights – most creative wins! Artisanal pizza, Sufganiot from Satori and sundae bar. Couvert: $35 / person, $75 / couple. Proceeds will benefit Ellen's Kids Project. Questions? Contact Robbie 410-484-2223.
Shlock Rock Chanukah Concert – Hosetd by the Leo Bernstein Jewish Academy of Fine Arts at the SSJC. Monday, December 26. 6:30 PM (Doors open at 6:00 PM).Tickets start at $10 and special discounts for children and families. Amazing VIP ticket package. Find out more at LBJA.org
GWCK Chanukah Celebration – Monday, December 26, 7:00 PM. Bring your family to celebrate Chanukah with the Greater Washington Community Kollel family. Guest speaker for adults, special performance for kids, live music, dancing, and hot Chanukah refreshments! At GWCK, 10900 Lockwood Drive.
Camp Shoresh Open House – Sunday, January 15, 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM at 2428 Pleasant View Road, Adamstown, MD 21710. The seven weeks at Camp Shoresh are all about positive Judaism for campers entering Pre-K thru 10th grades from across Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, and DC. For questions or to RSVP for the Open House, 410-358-8571 or email@example.com The Camp Shoresh brochure and application can be found at www.shoresh.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday, December 11 Monday, December 12 Tuesday, December 13 Wednesday, December 14 Thursday, December 15 Friday, December 16
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:10 7:15 7:15 7:10 7:15
Arcola 4:35 4:35 / 7:30, 9:00 4:35 / 7:30, 9:00 4:35 / 7:30, 9:00 4:35 / 7:30, 9:00 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 4:30 4:30 4:30 4:30 4:30
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:24 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:39 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:35 PM
December 16-17, 2016 – 17 Kislev 5777
Light Candles by 4:29 – Havdalah 5:32
* Light Candles by 4:29
Arcola: 4:30, Ruach University: 4:30 Sephardi: 4:25 Nusach Sefard: 4:30
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 4:25 University: 4:25 Sephardi: 4:05 Nusach Sefard: 4:25
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:32
Sunday, December 11 Betting and Speculating: From the Strip to the Street, 9:30 AM
Friday, December 16 Ruach Minyan, 4:30 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Shabbos, December 16-17 Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Dovid Gottlieb
Shabbos, December 17 Bar Mitzvah of Yehuda Arzouan
Motzei Shabbos, Dec. 17 Dor L'Dor, 6:30 PM, YISE Social Hall
Sunday, December 18 Annual Youth Chanukah Celebration, 12:00 Noon – 2:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, December 14 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager